HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   The official hockey bag smell thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=847047)

the_fan 11-28-2010 01:18 PM

The official hockey bag smell thread

So, how badly does your hockey bag smells?

I used to play and boy, did mine smell pretty nasty...

Placebo Effect 11-28-2010 01:20 PM

Wrong forum.

My gear is fine, always air dry it after a game. But there is some awful **** coming out of my teammates bag. I always try to sit across the room from him. Hockey smell is fine, but his is just gag worthy

JVR21 11-28-2010 01:23 PM

The Rink

Joe Sakic 11-28-2010 01:24 PM

I actually like the smell. Reminds me of hockey. :)

SpringfieldSkins 11-28-2010 01:25 PM

It's a good smell but boy does it reek.

Lososaurus 11-28-2010 01:32 PM

Smells like hockey! By that I mean it smells like dried in sweat.

ponder 11-28-2010 02:59 PM

I have always hung my equipment to dry immediately after every game, so nothing smells too bad at all except for my gloves, which are absolutely terrible.

O23L 11-28-2010 03:02 PM

I air dry mine after every session.

But It still is disgusting.

My undershirt is the worst smelling thing ever. I wear a underarmour under my gear, and wash it every week or so.
Still smells like ass.

Pog Form 11-28-2010 03:11 PM

A good buddy of mine has the worst smelling gear I've ever come across. Add that to the fact that he doesn't shower after hockey for whatever reason, so if I'm ever in the car with him on the way home, let's just say it's not too pleasant.

kr580 11-28-2010 07:25 PM

Little to no smell from mine. Set my gear on a rack with a fan underneath to dry it all within a couple hours of playing. Wash all my clothing (jersey, undershirt, jock, socks, socks) after every skate. I just cannot pull myself to play in dirty gear.

clefty 11-28-2010 08:01 PM

I used to get those deodorizing balls and throw a couple of them in my bag. I helped a bit but not much. I have a rag that I use to wipe off my skates, and it seemed to only permeate into affect that.

dabeechman 11-28-2010 08:43 PM

My stuff doesn't smell too bad. It always gets air dried immediately and I soak my gear every couple of months to keep the smell down. Jerseys/underarmor/socks/shorts get washed often.

sjmay* 11-28-2010 09:24 PM

Airing out gear? Washing out gear?

Cmon....don't you know you guys are supposed to keep that bag closed season long, air it out all summer etc,

When I was playing if I didn't keep my bag closed, whatever was in it, crawled out....

Jarick 11-28-2010 11:38 PM

Got home from hockey tonight, walked in from the garage and immediately everything is laid out to dry and sprayed with Febreze (or rubbing alcohol, whatever I have at the moment). I paid too dang much for all this stuff to ruin it with moisture!

dpixel8 11-29-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 29237806)
Got home from hockey tonight, walked in from the garage and immediately everything is laid out to dry and sprayed with Febreze (or rubbing alcohol, whatever I have at the moment). I paid too dang much for all this stuff to ruin it with moisture!

Same here. Though (first season back after 15 years, no basement like I had growing up with the parents) I am curious to see how things dry out in my garage in the winter.

densetsu 11-29-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpixel8 (Post 29238330)
Same here. Though (first season back after 15 years, no basement like I had growing up with the parents) I am curious to see how things dry out in my garage in the winter.

If it's cold out, then it probably won't fully dry, it'll just freeze. But on the same hand, if it's frozen then the bacteria won't propagate and make terrible odours. End result: stalemate. (This is even more so if you drive a truck and have your gear in the back -- it'll be frozen before you even get home.)

In the winter I still hang my stuff up in the garage and spray it down, out of habit.

dpixel8 11-29-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densetsu (Post 29238473)
If it's cold out, then it probably won't fully dry, it'll just freeze. But on the same hand, if it's frozen then the bacteria won't propagate and make terrible odours. End result: stalemate. (This is even more so if you drive a truck and have your gear in the back -- it'll be frozen before you even get home.)

In the winter I still hang my stuff up in the garage and spray it down, out of habit.

I have a jeep, so it doesn't freeze on the drive home. and the garage isn't THAT cold that it will freeze. It's just not going to be warm enough. Let's just say, the other morning when I skated, I threw everything in the bag, drove to the rink, and it was a wee bit chilly putting my **** on :laugh:

adaminnj 11-29-2010 07:31 AM

my shinny bag is Supper nasty especially the gloves.
Mens league equipment bag is newer and I have the Winnwell G-light shins that should not smell ever. As well for some reason the Rebellion gloves are not smelling at all yet.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-29-2010 10:38 AM

My wife tells me it/I after wearing my gear smells like a mix of alcohol, garbage, rot and crap. So I guess it smells pretty bad. :P She went ahead and washed my gear this summer. :laugh:

ChiTownHawks 11-29-2010 10:42 AM

My bag does not stink at all. Like a lot of other people here my gear is taken out as soon as I get home and put on a drying rack. My washable stuff, i.e. jersey, undershirt, jock shorts, and both socks are also laid out to dry and then washed before my next time on the ice. I also have one of those little deodorizing balls in the bag.

WhipNash27 11-29-2010 11:17 AM

My stuff smells horrible. Everyone complains that they can't breathe whenever they go near it. That is until I air it out. However, even while it's airing out, people can't go near it. The smell doesn't bother me too much though. When I play, I smell fine though.

Torquenstein 11-29-2010 11:31 AM

I think my stuff smells pretty bad. I tend to forget unpacking for a day or two. And the basement is full of air fresheners (at least 6) and you can still smell my stuff^^

Jarick 11-29-2010 01:07 PM

In my apartment I have the stuff laid out on a wire rack in the main living area. If it smelled, the woman would not allow it.

Mosetter27 11-30-2010 04:58 PM

Death

NEVER WASH EQUIPMENT!

OCASIONALLY WASH JERSEY

i play roller hockey so i only wear like 5 pcs of equipment
(skates, shins, girddle/jock, gloves, helmet, stick)

the less equipment i have to wear the better... i hate chest pads thats why i don't play ice anymore..

ChiTownHawks 11-30-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjd624 (Post 29268859)
Death

NEVER WASH EQUIPMENT!

OCASIONALLY WASH JERSEY

i play roller hockey so i only wear like 5 pcs of equipment
(skates, shins, girddle/jock, gloves, helmet, stick)

the less equipment i have to wear the better... i hate chest pads thats why i don't play ice anymore..

Actually this question was for people who play real hockey. BOOM ROASTED!;)