HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Puzzle Weber who to bump? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=847095)

Windymind 11-28-2010 03:40 PM

Puzzle Weber who to bump?

Everybody wants to see where Weber is at... benching Darche wasn't the best move.

1) Should we bench a forward?
2) Should he take the place of Picard?
3) Should he take the place of Spacek (to give him some rest)?

Svoboda crash 11-28-2010 03:47 PM

Hamilton

Captain Smurf 11-28-2010 03:48 PM

Unless one of the veteran D get injured or ask for a rest (unlikely), only a losing streak will likely see Weber on the D. Forward all it may take is a loss (but we'll only see where he is if he plays his natural position).

GoodKiwi 11-28-2010 03:49 PM

Weber is not an NHL defenseman right now.

Stjonnypopo 11-28-2010 03:50 PM

We need an extra D and an extra F, since Markov's injured and we traded O'Byrne away, I think Weber's doomed to spend a lot of time in the press box until something happens.

Kriss E 11-28-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodKiwi (Post 29228366)
Weber is not an NHL defenseman right now.

How would you know?..

I would scratch Picard to give him a chance of playing at Defense.

Player 61 11-28-2010 03:58 PM

Let him keep practicing with the big club for now, eventually someone will get nicked up(knock on wood), December sked is a grind, we'll need spare bodies!

McTusk 11-28-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 29228553)

I concur.

We Want The 25 11-28-2010 04:07 PM

Hamrlik press box Weber in. but i always hated Hamrlik and i want to give Weber chance playing d in the nhl finally so we can see what hes got and if i have to choose 1 d to sit its him

Player 61 11-28-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Want The 25 (Post 29228740)
Hamrlik press box Weber in. but i always hated Hamrlik and i want to give Weber chance playing d in the nhl finally so we can see what hes got and if i have to choose 1 d to sit its him

Everytime I see someone post they hate Hamrlik, I wonder if it's Sal from the radio? :laugh:

overlords 11-28-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

How would you know?..

Quote:

Originally Posted by preston (Post 29228713)
I concur.

uh, what? Picard has been solid. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Le Tricolore 11-28-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Want The 25 (Post 29228740)

Yeah, let's have one of the team's most solid defensemen sit a game for no real reason. :handclap:

Analyzer* 11-28-2010 05:40 PM

Weber belongs in Hamilton

Schwang 11-28-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preston (Post 29228713)
I concur.

You'd scratch a guy who finally has found a home in the NHL where he can play well and has the second best plus minus on the team for a guy who will be playing in Europe next year???????

you guys are crazy! I'd scratch Gomez before Picard at this point.

When will people learn, Weber IS NOT NHL material! Neither is Carle. They haven't cracked the lineup yet, and they never will. If they were that good, you think they'd be looking at re-signing Gill?

GoodKiwi 11-28-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

How would you know?..

I'm just going by what JM thinks based on Weber's play time or rather lack of thereof. What about you?

AllCanadienFan 11-28-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwang (Post 29232867)
You'd scratch a guy who finally has found a home in the NHL where he can play well and has the second best plus minus on the team for a guy who will be playing in Europe next year???????

you guys are crazy! I'd scratch Gomez before Picard at this point.

When will people learn, Weber IS NOT NHL material! Neither is Carle. They haven't cracked the lineup yet, and they never will. If they were that good, you think they'd be looking at re-signing Gill?

Agree with you 100% on Weber. Watched him since he came to Hamilton and he is one dementional player. They are trying to give him defensive minutes but I doubt it will work. As for Carle, I'm not so sure. He has had injury problems over the past but this year is playing well for the Dogs. If he'd been given the same chance in camp Picard was given, he might have turned things around.

Kriss E 11-28-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 29230337)
uh, what? Picard has been solid. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not denying that, but the upside of Weber could be much higher. A great puck mover with the potential of being a PP QB as he is in AHL, I'd alternate him with Picard to see where he is at. It's not a knock on Picard at all, he's been great, it's a lot more like the Price-Halak situation of the past seasons, both needed to play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodKiwi (Post 29232943)
I'm just going by what JM thinks based on Weber's play time or rather lack of thereof. What about you?

I'm going by the fact he was burning it up in the AHL, was the best player of his team, and didn't play defense for us once this year (except for 1 shift at the end of a 3-0 game). Nobody knows if he's ready, kid wasn't given a chance. Playing forward is not a chance.

number 11 11-29-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

How would you know?..

lol have you seen how solid Picard is on D ? Martin would never entertain the thought of putting such a defensive liability on the blue line in the place of Picard.

Weber belongs in hamilton until he learns to play defense.

m00ks 11-29-2010 12:21 AM

Never been fond of Weber and always thought he was too weak to contain his man or win battles along the boards.

Would like to see him now to see if he's addressed his weakness.

Kriss E 11-29-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by number 11 (Post 29238180)
lol have you seen how solid Picard is on D ? Martin would never entertain the thought of putting such a defensive liability on the blue line in the place of Picard.

Weber belongs in hamilton until he learns to play defense.

Defensive liability?...And may I ask when you saw Weber play on defense for us?..

Perhaps you should re-read my previous post.

Weber will be waiver eligible next year. He needs to be tried this year, simple as that.

Bad Natey 11-29-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 29238426)
Defensive liability?...And may I ask when you saw Weber play on defense for us?..

Perhaps you should re-read my previous post.

Weber will be waiver eligible next year. He needs to be tried this year, simple as that.

I like Weber a lot, but to ask if he's seen Weber play for the Habs before is ridiculous.

Picard is going no where. He played nearly 20 minutes last night.

Turboflex* 11-29-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m00ks (Post 29238210)
Never been fond of Weber and always thought he was too weak to contain his man or win battles along the boards.

Would like to see him now to see if he's addressed his weakness.

This is the fundamental problem with him and why he will prolly be in switzerland in a year or two.

From his 4th line time we can still see him being outmuscled all over the ice.

The usual drama queens make it sound like he is getting picked on, but the reality is he just has no roster spot. People suggesting they sit vets who are logging 22 mins for the Habs a night for a rookie sound like morons. Meanwhile Weber is practicing with the team and being evaluated, 5 star NHL style room & board while he collects 3500$ a day salary (which he would get every 2 weeks in the AHL!!!), it's not like he is living in a jail cell in Montreal between trips to the pressbox on gameday. Plenty of guys on the Bulldogs would LOVE to be in his situation even if it is tough for him to get minutes.

Kriss E 11-29-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 29239155)
I like Weber a lot, but to ask if he's seen Weber play for the Habs before is ridiculous.

Picard is going no where. He played nearly 20 minutes last night.

Why is it ridiculous?..Someone that will claim how Weber is a defensive liability should explain to me the reason behind this assessment seeing how Weber has yet to play on defense for us this year. What he's done in the previous seasons is irrelevant as young prospect improve. So it remain to be seen just how far off or ready Weber is this year.

I don't really care about Picard's play. Price/Halak or Price/Huet use to alternate even after having played good games at times. Picard has been great, but he is the #7 Dman and right now, if Weber is just going to be a filler in practice and a healthy scratch, then send him back down. If he's called up, then he should play, as simple as that. We're talking about a skilled D, he needs to play, not rot in the pressbox or be used as a forward.

If contract negotiations with Gill have indeed started, clearly, it means the organization sees him with us again. I'm guessing we will also re-sign Markov/Gorges. If we choose not to give a new contract to Hammer, then we will need to replace him.
So unless Weber really has no future with this organization, Picard will likely be gone.
The kid is 22, will be 23 by the start of next year, will be eligible to waivers, and only has 13 games of experience through 3years (2 of those games he played as a forward).

I don't see us retaining Picard's services, so I much rather we focus on Weber and letting him sit in the press box isn't the right way to go about developing him.

Lucius 11-29-2010 12:34 PM

It's simple to me.

If they're going to have him here, he should get a few games in here or there.

And if he's going to play, he should play defense.

That means Alex Picard.

I'd try Weber next game, in fact. Picard has been solid, but he is coming off his weakest game (just seemed a bit out of sorts against Buffalo, not terrible, just not his banner night).

If that isn't an option, then Weber should go to Hamilton and Alex Henry should come eat poutine in the press box in case of a last second injury.

If anyone thinks sitting Weber is going to cost us the game against Edmonton, we have bigger issues.

neofury* 11-29-2010 12:36 PM

If he's going to get ice time as much as I love Picard it should be in his place.