HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Would Canada dominate...... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=848188)

xtra 12-01-2010 04:03 PM

Would Canada dominate......
 
the WJC every year like they did in the lockout year with a roster of :

Patrice Bergeron,
Jeff Carter,
Jeremy Colliton,
Sidney Crosby,
Nigel Dawes,
Stephen Dixon,
Colin Fraser,
Ryan Getzlaf,
Andrew Ladd,
Clarke MacArthur,
Corey Perry,
Michael Richards,
Anthony Stewart

cant remember the lines but the team scored 32 goals in the round robin and gave up only 5 (with 3 in 1 game to slovkia)

Current Forwards who won't be there for this years WJC:

Skinner-Duchene-Kane
Schenn-Seguin-Hall

Or has the talent level evened out a bit to even the playing field if all countries were at full strength at the WJC

TheJudge 12-01-2010 04:07 PM

Canada would be very tough to beat if they brought all eligible players each year.

However, it's a one game elimination tournament - anything can happen.

therealdeal 12-01-2010 04:09 PM

I think you can make the argument that Canada has dominated this tournament for at least the last 5 years with major loses each time. Canada has lost what, 3 games in the last 5 years, and has been in the gold medal game for something like 10 years in a row, or maybe 9, someone will confirm or deny this I know.

The fact of the matter is no nation can compete if Canada had its top talent every year.

Ward Cornell 12-01-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtra (Post 29288440)
the WJC every year like they did in the lockout year with a roster of :

Patrice Bergeron,
Jeff Carter,
Jeremy Colliton,
Sidney Crosby,
Nigel Dawes,
Stephen Dixon,
Colin Fraser,
Ryan Getzlaf,
Andrew Ladd,
Clarke MacArthur,
Corey Perry,
Michael Richards,
Anthony Stewart

cant remember the lines but the team scored 32 goals in the round robin and gave up only 5 (with 3 in 1 game to slovkia)

Current Forwards who won't be there for this years WJC:

Skinner-Duchene-Kane
Schenn-Seguin-Hall

Or has the talent level evened out a bit to even the playing field if all countries were at full strength at the WJC


^^^^ Not quite yet but it's getting close!
There are still different groupings of strength and the gap between each groupings is shrinking.
The teams in each grouping is also shrinking.

2525 12-01-2010 04:12 PM

Yes. If Canada had those guys available this year they absolutely would dominate.

BUT the continued domination if all our players would be available is slowly coming to an end.

In fact I believe in the next few years the world juniors will be a 2 horse race between Canada and the USA.
I'm not saying any other country won't beat us or the states but the top 2 favourites will be Canada and the states.

Don't be surprised within 5 years that the Americans will be missing as many players as we have in the past and don't be surprised to see Team USA ring off 5 or 6 consecutive championships.

leafsfuture 12-01-2010 04:32 PM

Last year 12 players who were eligible for the WJC were in the NHL and were not released. 8 of them were Canadian. The other 4: Karlsson, Hedman, Kulikov and Bogosian were all defenceman.

Canada would absolutely dominate everyone

Rabid Ranger 12-01-2010 04:53 PM

Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to team work. So, if the overwhelming talent meshed, then yeah-it could be ugly for the competition.

xtra 12-01-2010 05:02 PM

Absolute domination in terms of the games.

in 2005 that team gave up 5 goals in 4 round robin games and scored 32

The closest game was 3-1 and scored over 6 goals in 5 of the 6 games.

That's the type of domination i am talking about.

bretzky29ca* 12-01-2010 05:12 PM

A little early for predictions, but I'll give them out anyways.

Group A:

1)U.S.A
2)Slovakia
3)Finland
4)Switzerland
5)Germany

Group B

1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Sweden
4) Czech Republic
5) Norway

Quarter finals:


2a v 3b(Slovakia v Sweden) Slovakia
2b v 3a(Russia v Finland) Russia

Semi Finals:

1a v Russia(U.S.A v Russia)U.S.A
1b v Slovakia(Canada v Slovakia) Canada

Bronze Medal game:

Slovakia v Russia =Slovakia

Gold Medal game:

Canada v U.S.A=Canada


5.Sweden
6.Finland
7.Switzerland
8.Czech Republic

9.Germany
10.Norway

Germany and Norway will be relegated back to the B pool.

2525 12-01-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bretzky29ca (Post 29289546)
A little early for predictions, but I'll give them out anyways.

Group A:

1)U.S.A
2)Slovakia
3)Finland
4)Switzerland
5)Germany

Group B

1) Canada
2) Russia
3) Sweden
4) Czech Republic
5) Norway

Quarter finals:


2a v 3b(Slovakia v Sweden) Slovakia
2b v 3a(Russia v Finland) Russia

Semi Finals:

1a v Russia(U.S.A v Russia)U.S.A
1b v Slovakia(Canada v Slovakia) Canada

Bronze Medal game:

Slovakia v Russia =Slovakia

Gold Medal game:

Canada v U.S.A=Canada


5.Sweden
6.Finland
7.Switzerland
8.Czech Republic

9.Germany
10.Norway

Germany and Norway will be relegated back to the B pool.

I have a feeling that the US will win gold again this year.
I hope I'm wrong.
If Canada makes it to the gold medal game and it's against the US, I hope the coaches play that little video the Americans made last year. Might just piss off the Canadian players to kick some red, white and blue ass:laugh:

bringthecuphome 12-01-2010 05:29 PM

The team in North Dakota was staaaacckkkked. And yes, they would dominate.

They kinda already do.

joe89 12-01-2010 05:42 PM

A lot of what ifs, but probably..just look at those names. But at the other hand, what if Sweden's best junior class in almost 20 years would've had the chance to play one championship on big ice? Last big ice tournament we took it to overtime in the final and those draft classes were leagues below current ones. Canada had Tavares, Stamkos, Doughty, Giroux, Subban etc in that one.

ShawnTHW 12-01-2010 05:53 PM

You arent going to find a better draft class than 2003, so just on the skill of those players in that year alone, they would dominate.

2525 12-01-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 29290178)
You arent going to find a better draft class than 2003, so just on the skill of those players in that year alone, they would dominate.

and the Flyers have 2 of them...how does that happen:laugh:

ShawnTHW 12-01-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 (Post 29290690)
and the Flyers have 2 of them...how does that happen:laugh:

Yea and since that draft, we only have kept 2 first rounders that are current playing for our team (Giroux and JVR). 2 1sts in 7 years? How does that happen?

2525 12-01-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 29290881)
Yea and since that draft, we only have kept 2 first rounders that are current playing for our team (Giroux and JVR). 2 1sts in 7 years? How does that happen?

Good asset management. Something my team should employ...the Leafs:(

JackSlater 12-01-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 29289257)
Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to
team work.

I agree that this tournament definitely rewards the teams that play well together, but realistically the talent gap would be too huge. Considering Canada's results over the last several years in spite of the elite players missing, and looking at the two tournaments that Canada had access to basically their full talent pool, it's pretty reasonable to conclude that Canada would dominate the tournament every year. I can certainly understand why people would be sick of hearing this though... since a lot of Canadians are as well.

Novak Djokovic 12-01-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 29289257)
Having all junior eligible players available to Canada would definately be an advantage, but I'm not sure it would mean "absolute domination." These kinds of tournaments tend to favor an approach where individual talent takes a back seat to
team work.

Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.

Alberta tough 12-01-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! (Post 29291624)
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.

You are missing O'Reilly, Seguin, Clifford.

bruinsfan46 12-01-2010 06:58 PM

They've won the gold every year since that one except last year. That's pretty dominant, if they had all their NHLers I'm pretty sure they'd have them all (Stamkos scored 51 in the NHL, he'd light the Americans and everybody else up like a Christmas tree with Tavares feeding him the puck). But would they be as great as the '05 team on average? I highly doubt it, that '03 draft class just so superb and there was that Crosby kid.

tyler_sens 12-01-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! (Post 29291624)
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.

Your forgetting Kyle Clifford and Ryan O'Reilly, who would probably be 2/3 of the third line.

umwoz 12-01-2010 07:06 PM

Schenn might still go...

Rabid Ranger 12-01-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! (Post 29291624)
Schenn
Duchene
Skinner
Kane
Hall
(and I'm forgetting another forward)

These guys would make a HUGE difference. Those are the top lines. The first line this tournament would be the fourth line if these guys came. Not that it would GUARANTEE a Gold Medal, but I can't see how that team couldn't win it.

I don't doubt that those additions would give Canada a significant boost. I'm not sure it's enough to guarantee a walk though.

Alberta tough 12-01-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 29292095)
I don't doubt that those additions would give Canada a significant boost. I'm not sure it's enough to guarantee a walk though.

On paper it would look like a walk through, but the games are not played on paper so who knows.

Rabid Ranger 12-01-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta tough (Post 29292257)
On paper it would look like a walk through, but the games are not played on paper so who knows.

Well, thank goodness for the tourney there's some competitive balance. It's a tourney of big brothers and weak sisters as is.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.