HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Lost ability to shoot? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=848305)

berzark 12-01-2010 10:00 PM

Lost ability to shoot?
 
When I had my easton s17 with sakic curve I could get a good snapshot and slapshot off, wrist shots were decent.

I changed to a one 95 with the Staal curve (heel curve) since it was on special and I've noticed that my wrist shots are WAY better but I absolutly can't get snappers or slapshots off, which are similar shots.

When I try a slapshot, it doesn't go fast and stays on the ice. When I try snapshots, they flutter and REALLY suck.

So basicly I bought a stick that is suposed to help for slapshots and I can't get one off, with a curve for slapshots\snapshots and either of those are working, yet I improved my wristshot..

:help:
HELP ! And no I don't need plently ice time, I play 10 hours a week!

(I think my lie is too high, it's a 6 but my tape wares a little bit more on the heel)

berzark 12-01-2010 10:33 PM

PS. I've also noticed I hurt my hands some times because on snapshots the stick vibrates in my hand.

BadHammy* 12-01-2010 11:03 PM

Ugh. The p91A and Sakic are actually nearly identical in terms of lie. Furthermore, no curve will make you lose the ability to shoot. You were probably coasting by with the Sakic and failed to turn your wrists over, which you can't do with a Staal (Drury) and it's now biting you in the ass.

berzark 12-02-2010 12:00 AM

by turning your wrist over, do you mean closing the blade before hiting the ice, opening it up through out the shot and closing it back near the end of the shot? (closed->open->closed with toe only pointing at target)

Because I've always closed the blade before shooting, open it up when hiting the puck or a bit afterwards and then keep the movement of my wrist in the same fluid motion, I don't turn them back. (closed->open->blade looks like this / in the air and points at target(right handed shot))
This resembles my follow through.. Toe upwards, pointing the target with the blade.
http://howtohockey.com/wp-content/up...-technique.jpg

IDuck 12-02-2010 12:11 AM

FWIW, i have no slapshot anymore and i use to have a solid one....i can still get a solid one when im warming up goalies and what not but not in a game...its because i never use it in a game or practice so it has kind of suffered...my wrister and snaper are still good and i have always used the same cure (the same one you are)....could just use some more practice

ponder 12-02-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berzark (Post 29298800)
by turning your wrist over, do you mean closing the blade before hiting the ice, opening it up through out the shot and closing it back near the end of the shot? (closed->open->closed with toe only pointing at target)

Because I've always closed the blade before shooting, open it up when hiting the puck or a bit afterwards and then keep the movement of my wrist in the same fluid motion, I don't turn them back. (closed->open->blade looks like this / in the air and points at target(right handed shot))

I prefer to think of it as rolling the wrists over at the end of the shot, but yeah, it's something you need to do when shooting, especially with a heel curve. You're probably doing this with your wrist shots, as rolling the wrists over just seems super natural with wrist shots, but with slappers and snap shots a lot of guys leave the blade too open. And with a heel curve you also have to shoot from closer to the heel than you would with a mid curve.

With that being said, I've always been a mid curve user, switched to a heel curve for 4 months, never liked it, and ended up going back to mid curves on my next stick. But with a great and expensive stick like a one95 it's worth trying to change your shot a bit to try to adapt to the heel curve, many guys swear by heel curves (just not me!).

If you're really getting the wear more towards the heel (this is a bit more normal with a heel curve though), you could try cutting the stick down a bit, how high does the stick come up when you're on skates? But if it's just a bit more wear towards the heel, and not tonnes of wear at the heel only, then that's probably not the issue, as a bit more wear towards the heel is normal with a heel curve anyways since you shoot a bit more from the heel than you would with a mid curve.

berzark 12-02-2010 12:49 AM

I'll try it today, going to play 10 am this morning and i'll try to close my blade after each shot to see how it goes. Still doesnt explain why it vibrates though.. And honestly I don't think it makes sense if you're near the hache marks and you try to go top shelf by closing the blade after your shot, seems like your shot will stay low. But I'll give it an honnest try tomorow. Thanks guys.

I was thinking of buying a stick with a toe curve soon to try it out.

berzark 12-02-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 29299159)

If you're really getting the wear more towards the heel (this is a bit more normal with a heel curve though), you could try cutting the stick down a bit, how high does the stick come up when you're on skates? But if it's just a bit more wear towards the heel, and not tonnes of wear at the heel only, then that's probably not the issue, as a bit more wear towards the heel is normal with a heel curve anyways since you shoot a bit more from the heel than you would with a mid curve.

well when I'm shooting I think the whole blade is flat on the ice, but I'm trying to skate lower to the ice to get fuller strides now and when my stick is infront of me (without the puck) I've been told that its not flat on the ice, only the heel. (i was told that when trying to receive a pass)

it's a senior stick cut 1 inch I think.. It's right under my chin or at chin level. Trying to get a smaller stick since people say it's better for a foward\stick handling, but it just seems that I keep loosing the puck in my feet. -_-

Splitbtw 12-02-2010 12:07 PM

I hope this doesn't happen to me. I've been using the pattern, but just put it in a one95 shaft particularly because it's suppose to be durable and good for slapshots (probably my best shot).

It is true though, you do really have to roll the wrists and the puck gets a lot more zip on it. You can really feel it come off the end of the blade and almost guide it anywhere.

berzark 12-02-2010 10:15 PM

Ok so I tried out the closing the blade in the follow through and it works really good sometimes, and some times the shots are just horrible. But no flutter shots. Some of the shots were rockets. That's without putting all my weight into the shot (still haven't mastered the flex loading via pushing into the ice).

Slapshots however is completly an other story. I'm not sure if using the same technique is good for this shot :P

Wristshots still a beauty. Aimed for left post from the hashmark and hit it twice with a wirstshot and then once with a snapshot, all in a row.

berzark 01-07-2011 06:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Update : Found some old picks of me shooting. This was with my s17 but I use the same form of wrist shot.

So when you said I don't turn my wrist overs, you meant like the last pick? That's not turning my wrist overs?

The thing is, I have real good wrist shots (accuracy and speed) using this method. When I try to turn my wrist over after the end of a snap\wrist, the shot is really unprecise and horrible.

Is this because of lack of practice? Or is it because I'm not quite understanding the correct method

kr580 01-07-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berzark (Post 30048366)
Update : Found some old picks of me shooting. This was with my s17 but I use the same form of wrist shot.

So when you said I don't turn my wrist overs, you meant like the last pick? That's not turning my wrist overs?

The thing is, I have real good wrist shots (accuracy and speed) using this method. When I try to turn my wrist over after the end of a snap\wrist, the shot is really unprecise and horrible.

Is this because of lack of practice? Or is it because I'm not quite understanding the correct method

Yeah, that's the opposite of rolling over. Your bottom hand should be facing down on the follow through. Your shot isn't as good when you roll over just because you're not use to it.

SERE 24 01-08-2011 12:45 AM

Compare your pictures, especially your follow through, to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJnKTtS9t3g&NR=1

Jarick 01-08-2011 01:15 AM

Did you change the flex of the stick?

berzark 01-08-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 30055707)
Yeah, that's the opposite of rolling over. Your bottom hand should be facing down on the follow through. Your shot isn't as good when you roll over just because you're not use to it.

Ok thanks bud.

I'll try to fix it but it's going to be hard since I've been doing this technique since I've first started (4 1\2 years). That's what happens when you learn by yourself and coaches don't help you. -_-

One last question, when you cup the puck before the shot (like I do in the first pick), do I start rolling my wrist like I do currently, and start rolling them back only when my stick starts lifting? As in.. is there a specific time I should start rolling over? Cause I doubt I can stay in the "cup" position through the whole shot.

shaolinson 01-08-2011 04:04 AM

ive taken notice on my slappers...

a few things i pay attention to that improve my shot are:

get low, really shift that body weight. with my lower hand i really put a lot of force into it using that forearm.

try shooting slappers like that without the big windup. prolly just takes u some time. i had a similar problem when my stick was too long/short

SERE 24 01-08-2011 10:37 AM

The video I posted should help you understand when to roll your wrists and how your hands should be positioned throughout the shot and follow through.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.