HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Apparel for outdoor hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=849004)

Gunnar Stahl 30 12-03-2010 01:34 PM

Apparel for outdoor hockey

what do you guys usually wear? my township built an outdoor rink for this winter complete with boards and glass and is really professionally done so im trying to think of what to wear for it

i was going to wear my warmups and a maybe a sweatshirt under my jacket but are there and coldgear underarmour or something similar pants? i have a reebok compression long sleeve shirt which is pretty warm but i want one for under my pants

any suggestions?

thanks

Blueland89 12-03-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 29332741)
what do you guys usually wear? my township built an outdoor rink for this winter complete with boards and glass and is really professionally done so im trying to think of what to wear for it

i was going to wear my warmups and a maybe a sweatshirt under my jacket but are there and coldgear underarmour or something similar pants? i have a reebok compression long sleeve shirt which is pretty warm but i want one for under my pants

any suggestions?

thanks

Yeah, Underarmour make some for the cold I use it when I hunt. I just wear warmups or in the summer I wear shorts and a shirt

adaminnj 12-03-2010 11:58 PM

over size sweats and a good tuke if I'm playing a game I put on shins, elbows, and a helmet.

Badger36 12-04-2010 08:03 AM

Layers are your best friend. I wear base layers under my jerseys and it does a lot to help keep me warm.
You dont need to spend a lot of money for Underarmor. Theres lots of other companies that make base layers that are every bit as good as Underarmor and cost about half as much.

Areid1990 12-06-2010 06:34 PM

I start with a Jacket and stuff, but 20 minutes in all I have on is a light long sleeve shirt. It get's really hot and quick sometimes I even take off the little mittens I wear under my hockey gloves.

Once you get moving and stay moving you will be golden!

ponder 12-06-2010 06:39 PM

Depends how cold it is. If it's like -3 all you need is sweat pants, a tshirt and a long sleeve shirt (and gloves/skates/stick obviously), if it's -20 i'm busting out tonnes of layers and a toque. For the super cold weather it's nice to have thin gloves under your hockey gloves, long johns under your pants, and a good 3+ layers for your upper body.

HowToHockey 12-06-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Areid1990 (Post 29400104)
I start with a Jacket and stuff, but 20 minutes in all I have on is a light long sleeve shirt. It get's really hot and quick sometimes I even take off the little mittens I wear under my hockey gloves.

Once you get moving and stay moving you will be golden!

2nd

Depending on how cold it is this is very true. I start fully dressed in layers and usually end up with just a long-sleeve. I like to wear the luberjack style hats with the side flaps to keep my cheeks warm, especially if it is windy out.

If it is very cold, or very windy then look for something that covers your face, you can get cool thermal / spandex type stuff that you wear over your mouth and nose like a bandana, it helps a lot.

takumi111 12-06-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowToHockey (Post 29403333)
If it is very cold, or very windy then look for something that covers your face, you can get cool thermal / spandex type stuff that you wear over your mouth and nose like a bandana, it helps a lot.

+1

i like to wear something like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_P6-TKcTJYk...laclava004.jpg

Inno 12-07-2010 01:01 AM

You should look into polypropylene as a baselayer. Coldpruf makes some good shirts/pants and there relatively cheap $10/pop.

"This high PERFORMANCE garment has been developed with CPT – COLDPRUF® TECHNICAL Fibers for WARMTH, MAXIMUM DRYNESS and ODOR CONTROL. CPT fibers have been engineered to give the highest rate of MOISTURE MANAGEMENT and EVAPORATION allowing your body to achieve and maintain it’s peak performance. This garment has been designed for weather conditions that are cold to very cold with mid to high activity. "

ju87 12-07-2010 05:03 AM

I played in an unheated indoor rink in Harbin, China, last January where the outdoor temps were -30 to -20 celcius (dunno what the temp was inside the rink). I've lived in Boston and skiied in many countries, but I have never experienced cold like that.

I wore performance thermals from this company under my normal gear:

http://www.odlo.com/en/#collection/

The thermals were warm enough for the outdoor 100 meter walk from the locker room into the rink and after skating a few laps, I was nice and toasty. Highly recommended.

I also recommend wearing thin gloves under your hockey gloves.

HarbinIceHogs 12-07-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju87 (Post 29411232)
I played in an unheated indoor rink in Harbin, China, last January where the outdoor temps were -30 to -20 celcius (dunno what the temp was inside the rink). I've lived in Boston and skiied in many countries, but I have never experienced cold like that.

I wore performance thermals from this company under my normal gear:

http://www.odlo.com/en/#collection/

The thermals were warm enough for the outdoor 100 meter walk from the locker room into the rink and after skating a few laps, I was nice and toasty. Highly recommended.

I also recommend wearing thin gloves under your hockey gloves.

I played at a damn cold rink in Harbin too when I lived there in 2004. I just layered up..but having those thermals you pointed out probably would have helped a lot.

I have never lived in such a cold place in my life. I am from Canada too..lol

Jarick 12-07-2010 10:43 AM

- Long-sleeve cotton tee
- Windbreaker pants
- Toque
- Foam elbow pads
- Volleyball knee pads
- Hockey gloves

If it gets near 0 deg F, I add an oversized hoodie/sweatshirt. Below -10 F my feet and hands get too cold to do anything so I usually won't play.

ShawnTHW 12-07-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowToHockey (Post 29403333)
2nd

Depending on how cold it is this is very true. I start fully dressed in layers and usually end up with just a long-sleeve. I like to wear the luberjack style hats with the side flaps to keep my cheeks warm, especially if it is windy out.

Couldn't agree more. I play roller every Sunday outdoors and 2 days ago, it was about 30 degrees, but it was insanely windy so it felt like about 10. Once I got moving everything started warming up but the wind continued to blow against my face and it was really uncomfortable to play in. From now on I will definitely be protecting my face from the cold as everything else warmed up the second I started moving.

noobman 12-07-2010 11:47 AM

It's best to dress in layers so that you can remove some clothing if you're hot, and add a few if you're cold.

I usually go with a t-shirt, a long-sleeve shirt, a hoodie, and then a sweater of some sort over it.

Down low it's long underwear, pajamas, and then some sweat pants.

I'll usually wear a toque and wear some of those thin black gloves under my hockey gloves too.

mikegoalie 12-09-2010 04:33 AM

Does anybody have any suggestions for warm socks to wear with skates or any alternative to keeping feet warm?