HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Jeff O'neil (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=84909)

Kingz4life 06-18-2004 07:44 PM

Jeff O'neil

There's rumors that Carolina wants to trade Jeff O'neil. First of all do you think he would fit in our system and second of all what would you give up?

Old Hickory 06-18-2004 08:25 PM

He would fill our need for a physical forward who is willing to take some punishment in front of the net. If The Canes would be willing to do a deal around Straka and Carter I would play ball. We need to hold on to our youth

Legionnaire 06-19-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He would fill our need for a physical forward who is willing to take some punishment in front of the net. If The Canes would be willing to do a deal around Straka and Carter I would play ball. We need to hold on to our youth

Agreed. I think you may have had it right a few months ago(not that I disagreed). We may need to look into tearing down and down a complete and proper rebuild. As is stands now, especially if Palffy is gone, there is no real need to make a deal for O'Neil because we will hardly be competitive next year. We just have too many holes. :(

Old Hickory 06-19-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Agreed. I think you may have had it right a few months ago(not that I disagreed). We may need to look into tearing down and down a complete and proper rebuild. As is stands now, especially if Palffy is gone, there is no real need to make a deal for O'Neil because we will hardly be competitive next year. We just have too many holes. :(

and too many of the same type of player

Legionnaire 06-19-2004 10:59 AM

Amen to that. Although, O'Neil would help on that front.

Fat Elvis 06-19-2004 12:27 PM

You guys I think are right about our near future, plus I would bet that Carolina would want some young studs in a trade for O'neil. It sucks to think about going through a rebuilding process after it seems like we have just been through one :shakehead . If we lose Ziggy it is going to be a horrific year, a #1 line of Carter-Straka-Tripp(because we know how AM loves to put young skilled forwards *Frolov* on the 1st line ;) ) This is going to suck big time unless AM is willing to play our young talent. I could see us pick up a few "character guys" like Tripp, Chartrand and any other number of minor league lifers. Is Crosby that good in next years draft? If so, bring it on, let's stink completely! Play Carter 30 min a game, hell, put him in goal. All kidding aside, it would be in our best interest to go with youth and bring up and stay put Barney, Camms, Clarke, Grebs, Gleason, give look-sees to Hogeboom, Kanko and even Lehoux. And if Roman sucks, bring up Chounard to see if he was ever worth that 1st round pick from Ott :dunno: . Heck why not? What are we going to miss the playoffs again? :help:

Old Hickory 06-19-2004 12:39 PM

I have advocating a rebuild for a few years. The team does need a few vets to keep the on ice product from being the Penguins(all youth) and to also mentor the kids and help their growth. O'Neill is only 28.

Fat Elvis 06-19-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I have advocating a rebuild for a few years. The team does need a few vets to keep the on ice product from being the Penguins(all youth) and to also mentor the kids and help their growth. O'Neill is only 28.

I would love O'neil, but the asking price would be some important parts to our rebuild imo. Carolina would not want a couple of aging vets when they could get a couple of low draft picks or high end prospects like Kanko or Tambs or both :dunno: guess it depends on how much they ask for. Right now I'm a little discouraged with our team, I'm excited about individual players and watching them play but our overall team is just not that good. Our D is decent but if we lose Ziggy our O is going to be crap horrible. It could be a very long year and tough to watch the other teams key in on what talent we do play and take us out of each game. We'll be lucky to score 150 goals next year, and our D and goalies can't handle that many low scoring games. :cheers: and a lot of it is going to happen next year, I predict a record sales of beer at Staples next year to drown our sorrows.

Old Hickory 06-19-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I would love O'neil, but the asking price would be some important parts to our rebuild imo. Carolina would not want a couple of aging vets when they could get a couple of low draft picks or high end prospects like Kanko or Tambs or both :dunno: guess it depends on how much they ask for. Right now I'm a little discouraged with our team, I'm excited about individual players and watching them play but our overall team is just not that good. Our D is decent but if we lose Ziggy our O is going to be crap horrible. It could be a very long year and tough to watch the other teams key in on what talent we do play and take us out of each game. We'll be lucky to score 150 goals next year, and our D and goalies can't handle that many low scoring games. :cheers: and a lot of it is going to happen next year, I predict a record sales of beer at Staples next year to drown our sorrows.

I'm with you. If we had been healthy we would have been sick last year. With the Palffy negotiations going the way they are we might not contend for a few years

Reaper45 06-19-2004 05:16 PM

Face it guys, we need to rebuild. Lets trade all of the older vets that can fetch us decnt return's, and get as much youth/picks as possible. I don't relish the fact that it's come to this but might as well get it started now. :help: :teach:

YadaYada 06-19-2004 09:18 PM

We're targeting the wrong Hurricane, Weekes is available and probably for salary dump prices (picks). Goalie situation would be crowded for a year (until Roman's contract expires), but you have a number goalie who has many good years ahead.

kingsfan25 06-19-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YadaYada
We're targeting the wrong Hurricane, Weekes is available and probably for salary dump prices (picks). Goalie situation would be crowded for a year (until Roman's contract expires), but you have a number goalie who has many good years ahead.

The Kings will not do anything to address their goaltending situation until Cechmanek's contract expires. I agree that it'd be nice to have Weekes, but this organization will not place itself on the hook for two #1 goaltending salaries.