HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Tips for taking care of skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=849588)

Frankie Spankie 12-04-2010 10:43 PM

Tips for taking care of skates

Does anybody have any tips for taking care of skates so they last longer? I just got a pair of MLX skates and would love these to last damn near forever. My old CCM Vectors had the tendon guards ripping a lot (not an issue with MLX since they're replaceable) but the eyelets were all popping off which was tearing my laces apart.

I'm sure there's probably not that much I can do but anything I can do to help them last longer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Badger36 12-05-2010 09:39 AM

Other than making sure you let them dry so that the sweat doesnt make them rot, I dont think theres much you can do to make them last longer.
The biggest thing I try to make a habit of doing is making sure that I dry the blades so that they dont rust. Even with stainless steel blades they can still rust if you leave them wet.

DevsFan84 12-05-2010 11:33 AM

Take the insoles out and dry the skates upside down every time you use them. Also, use soakers- not those hard guards.

Check your skates after you use them- any loose threads, popped eyelets or anything like that should be taken care of right away. By the way, CCM skates are notorious for eyelet problems so don't think you are alone in having that issue.

I suggest getting a stone and using it when you are just about ready for a sharpening, often people get a few more skates in this way, leading to less sharpenings and (hopefully) your steel lasting longer.

The Tikkanen 12-05-2010 12:36 PM

WD-40. It eats rust. I also spray some on a towel and wipe off puck, stick and board marks to keep my skates looking new.

bokchoy 12-06-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 29373697)
Take the insoles out and dry the skates upside down every time you use them. Also, use soakers- not those hard guards.

Agreed 100%.

When it comes to maintaining your skates, moisture is your worst enemy.

canuck44 12-06-2010 02:18 AM

Why upside down?

ponder 12-06-2010 02:34 AM

In addition to what's been said (taking out the insoles when drying them, wiping the blades well after use), I'll add in that if you have problems with your tendon guards getting torn up, make sure not to take off your first skate using the blade of the other skate. Definitely bad for your skates, just lean over and hold the skates with your hands to take them off, tendon guards should stay in great shape unless they're defective.

Also, good skates should last ages, I'm not at all careful with my Bauer Supreme 2000s that I've been playing hockey in for about 8 years (I think), and they're still in great shape aside from being a bit flexier than they used to be. I might get some new skates soon, but only cause I want something lighter and stiffer, not cause they're breaking in any way, shape, or form. CCMs and Eastons often have durability issues in certain models, but that's only cause those specific models are terribly made, the vast majority of skates made by companies like Bauer and Graf will last a hell of a long time even if treated badly, hopefully MLXs are the same. The only piece of hockey gear I've ever had break is my stick, unfortunately I break those every few months for the most part :(

Jarick 12-06-2010 10:09 AM

My guess is those MLX will last a really long time anyways because they are composite and not leather or another material. I'd just pull them out of the bag, pull the tongues forward, and let them dry. Wipe off the blades after using them. I'm lazy and just leave them in my bag (has vents) with the soakers on, no issues. Then again I'm a little paranoid about mice, the cat, or my toddler getting to them!

lunaxod 12-06-2010 03:44 PM

The biggest issue with skate longevity is fit, if a certain boot has a perfect fit, then it will take a lot longer for the materials to break down. If a skate is not properly fitted so the stress is allocated unevenly and thus the area where there is more stress will give in faster. With the materials used today with top models drying out the skates has very minimal effect on longevity. Usually itís the user and abuser theory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 29367396)
Does anybody have any tips for taking care of skates so they last longer? I just got a pair of MLX skates and would love these to last damn near forever. My old CCM Vectors had the tendon guards ripping a lot (not an issue with MLX since they're replaceable) but the eyelets were all popping off which was tearing my laces apart.

I'm sure there's probably not that much I can do but anything I can do to help them last longer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

doobie604 12-06-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokchoy (Post 29388649)
Agreed 100%.

When it comes to maintaining your skates, moisture is your worst enemy.

I would say avoid soakers when you hang up your skates. Soakers stay wet and it actually will dull your skates quicker.

Gunnar Stahl 30 12-06-2010 04:06 PM

wipe your blades with a cloth when you take them off

when you get home take the insoles out and take your blade covers off then wipe the blades again to get the moisture off. keep them in a warm room