HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Battle of the Price Points - 6k vs x40 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=849841)

pass the bisk 12-05-2010 05:33 PM

Battle of the Price Points - 6k vs x40

My brothers were in town so naturally we went to the rink to skate around. One uses a Bauer X:40, the other uses the new Reebok 6k sickick III. As most of you know, the X:40 is arguably the best price point stick, but in my opinion, the 6k is equal if not better to it. Here's my review

Weight: The 6k is about 15 grams lighter, the advantage Reebok.

Balance: Tie (or no noticable difference)

Performance: Will probably come down to personal preference and how you use your stick, but I would give a very very slight edge to the Bauer.

Durability: Advantage Reebok.

Graphics: Not really a big deal, but I really like the looks of the 6k.

Flex: Both sticks felt true to their rating. Both have the low kickpoint, so there is not really a huge difference.

Price: Both are just about $100

Overall: I usually use Bauer sticks (right now using a totalone). In my opinion, these sticks are almost indentical performance wise (with a very slight edge going to Bauer), but puck feel was better with the Reebok. With that being said, it may be too close to call. Both are great price point sticks.

If you have either of these sticks feel free to chime in with your findings.

RonHextall27 12-05-2010 07:14 PM

I've got a Vapor 40 stickum. I had been using Synergy ST's for a few years, buying them used or whenever I could find a bargain. I needed a new stick and couldn't find a deal so I ended up going with a 40. It's been an excellent choice. I play 4-5 times a week, take draws on one of my teams, and the stick has held up great. I actually put the ST to backup duty because it was getting hammered from faceoffs. Also the toe had a chip in it. The 40 is still solid. It has some paint chips but no structural damage. I use a fairly stiff stick for my size, 100 flex, and I'm 5'8, 175. So even stiffer when I cut a bit off of it. The biggest thing along with the sturdiness is that the 40 has excellent balance in comparison with most sticks at it's price point. I've definitely found my new stick of choice.

canuck44 12-05-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonHextall27 (Post 29382865)
I've got a Vapor 40 stickum. I had been using Synergy ST's for a few years, buying them used or whenever I could find a bargain. I needed a new stick and couldn't find a deal so I ended up going with a 40. It's been an excellent choice. I play 4-5 times a week, take draws on one of my teams, and the stick has held up great. I actually put the ST to backup duty because it was getting hammered from faceoffs. Also the toe had a chip in it. The 40 is still solid. It has some paint chips but no structural damage. I use a fairly stiff stick for my size, 100 flex, and I'm 5'8, 175. So even stiffer when I cut a bit off of it. The biggest thing along with the sturdiness is that the 40 has excellent balance in comparison with most sticks at it's price point. I've definitely found my new stick of choice.

So how does it compare to the ST?

Wile E Coyotes 12-05-2010 11:23 PM

I chose the X40, couldn't be happier. given I'm not a pro athlete, the X60 is just too much for me to spend on a stick.

Jarick 12-06-2010 09:50 AM

I dunno, I played around with the X40 and it felt like a brick. I'm not a weight whoor by any means but the thing was uncomfortably heavy. I'd keep my eye out for clearance sticks, $25 at some of my local shops can buy closeout Dolomites, One95's, etc.

ChiTownHawks 12-06-2010 01:55 PM

I have an X40/77 flex/P88 curve and I am very happy with it. For right around $100 I don't know that there is a better non-clearance stick out there. I would be willing to give the 6K a shot though.

Jarick 12-06-2010 03:07 PM

8k shaft + wood blade is $100 :D