HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ladd Vs. Tukonen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=85034)

McNasty0927 06-19-2004 12:38 PM

Ladd Vs. Tukonen

Who would you take? Why?

rnyquist 06-19-2004 01:32 PM

Tukonen, hands down. IMO his ceiling is higher, and he is much more proven to be a safe pick over Ladd. I like his speed, skill and he's a sniper. Not a great finisher but that doesn't take anything away from his game. IMO Ladd is overrated and is only where he is because he's safe, not because he's overly good.

Kubera55 06-19-2004 01:35 PM

Probably Ladd. Seems like a little more of a sure thing, as he's been playing North American Hockey (and succeeding at it) under NHL rules. Tukonen, in addition to all the other stuff that any prospect must go through to develop into an NHL player, will also have to make the shift to the smaller rink, and more physical style.

That, and I hear Ladd's great defensively (didn't he lead the WHL in +/- this year or something?) and I'm always interested in more defensively sound players.

Once AO and Malkin are off the boards, the players that most interest me are probably Ladd, Olesz, Thelen, and Montoya. Tukonen is in their somewhere, but I just don't know enough about him to place him . . .

f1nn 06-19-2004 02:11 PM

Tukonen, he has the skill and I think even though he will have to get used to the smaller rink he will still turn out better than Ladd.

Barnaby3636 06-19-2004 02:30 PM

Personally, I think that Ladd is overrated He may be a great leader, and he may play a great deffensive game. Yet I do not think that he is our man. I think that Ladd will turn out to be a good 2nd line LW but will be the Captian of his team. I would much rather take Rudalov, Schremp, Cuase they are gonna be SPECIAL. Glen wont do that but you watch them in coming years.

DarthSather99 06-19-2004 04:59 PM

Jessiman was last years prospect out of nowhere. This year it's Ladd. Let's not take two guys in two consecutive years. Tukonen has proven he can play on the WORLD stage. He's big, strong, aggressive, a good skater and has a good shot. Those are the real reasons we take Tukonen.

Edge 06-19-2004 05:17 PM

I think this subject has been beaten to death.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record or reply to more comments that don't even make sense.

I spent way too much time doing that these days......

bmoak 06-19-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Jessiman was last years prospect out of nowhere. This year it's Ladd. Let's not take two guys in two consecutive years. Tukonen has proven he can play on the WORLD stage. He's big, strong, aggressive, a good skater and has a good shot. Those are the real reasons we take Tukonen.

Prospect out of nowhere? He's only the #1 CSS-ranked North American skater! Ladd's probably the safest forward outside Ovechkin/Malkin in the draft. I swear, people hear about what a great character guy he is and think he's another Malhotra. He scored 75 points, the same as offensive wunderkind Schremp. He carried the Hitmen on his back while Getzlaf was out.

rnyquist 06-19-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak
Prospect out of nowhere? He's only the #1 CSS-ranked North American skater! Ladd's probably the safest forward outside Ovechkin/Malkin in the draft. I swear, people hear about what a great character guy he is and think he's another Malhotra. He scored 75 points, the same as offensive wunderkind Schremp. He carried the Hitmen on his back while Getzlaf was out.

When a player can't make the WHL at 16, is forced to play the BCHL and was ranked in the 100's and suddenly is now #1, it means he came out of nowhere. And remember stats aren't everything, ya he's safe but his ceiling is quite low compared to a lot of other guys who could go before or after him. His biggest attribute is being a safe pick, but not being an overly amazing one

True Blue 06-19-2004 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist
ya he's safe but his ceiling is quite low compared to a lot of other guys who could go before or after him. His biggest attribute is being a safe pick, but not being an overly amazing one

Low ceiling or not, whatever it is, it is STILL as a fine top two line player. How many people would be happy if we had Deadmarsh? This is Ladd. Except more talented offensively, even more willing to do boardwork, just less mean. I think most people would take it. Heck, I bet most people would be happy with Glen Murray right now. Or what about Ryan Smyth? He has the same type of traits that a young Adam Graves had.
Lower ceiling than a Schremp, does not mean that Ladd is condemed to a life of a fringe 4th liner. It just means that the kid MAY NOT be a Kovulchuk, but at the very least, he could be a Maltby/Draper type of player. Whereas, sure Schremp COULD be a suprestar, he also is just as likely to be the next Brendle.
I don't know what an overly amazing pick would be outside of Ovechkin & Malkin are. But if being a safe pick means that , in this particular case, you have a better chance of being a usefull NHLer than a kid who showed up to show his wares overweight or conceivably could be an utter headcase, I'll take the safer pick.

Prucha73 06-19-2004 11:41 PM

Why can't Tukonen also fit the Deadmarsh/Smyth comparison?

Edge 06-20-2004 05:50 AM

For the same reason why Picard isn't, because it's not his style of play.

Prucha73 06-21-2004 01:13 PM

Great article on Tukonen and other Finns: http://www2.nhl.com/futures/2004draft/finns062104.html

It is pretty funny, but cats and guinea pigs are my favorite pets as well :yo:

f1nn 06-22-2004 06:45 PM

lol I especially loved when Tukonen was asked his favorite player

"I want to be like Peter Forsberg, but he is Swedish. That's the only bad thing about him."

:lol: :yo: :joker:

Radek27 06-22-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn
lol I especially loved when Tukonen was asked his favorite player

"I want to be like Peter Forsberg, but he is Swedish. That's the only bad thing about him."

:lol: :yo: :joker:

He coulda just ment he wants to come over and make a lot of money and then run back home also :)

xander 06-22-2004 11:38 PM

please, he's been here 11 years and won 3 cups, If he wants to go back home then that's his right.

Barnaby 06-23-2004 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27
He coulda just ment he wants to come over and make a lot of money and then run back home also :)

I wouldn't say that. I haven't seen too many players give it the effort he has, and perform so well in big spots. He's been here 11 years... If he wants to go back home, then God bless him. He's been a great guy to watch.