HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Should i get t-blades? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=850572)

Loungie 12-07-2010 02:21 PM

Should i get t-blades?

Im sick of having to sharpen my skates all the time because i like skating with a sharp blade/edge. Christmas is coming soon so i was thinking about getting them. Are they worth it? Like what are the pros and cons other than the loud noise they make. Also what would the price be for them?

adaminnj 12-07-2010 02:27 PM

never skated on them but everyone I know who has them end up getting them sharpened anyways.

Harv 12-07-2010 02:52 PM

Cons:

http://www.aap.org/research/CHIRP_bw.jpg

bonnielad 12-07-2010 02:57 PM

I've got T-Blades on a pair of graf g70's. Got them because the local shop can't sharpen worth a damn. They work great. They are a bit loud due to the construction and sharpness, but to be honest it's only noticeable when the rink is fairly empty during public skating. During games it's not noticeable at all - too much other noise anyways.

What I really like about them: the consistent edge for the runners, how long they last (about 6 months skating, playing, and coaching about 6 days a week and they still had a a good edge after 5 months), they're much lighter than standard holders and runners, and the fact that if I want to have a longer profile I just swap the runners from shorts, to mediums, or to longs.

To get even more use out of a set of runners you can also just swap from right to left.

They do feel a little different due to the construction (thin piece of steel on super hard plastic), but nothing odd or strange and you will likely acclimate within 10 to 15 minutes.

I know people have posted that the holders or the runners crack, but I think that's mostly heresay - and if it has happened from a puck hitting it, then well, it happens to regular holders as well.

If you decide to go with the T-Blades make sure you have a reputable shop do the mounting of the holders.

canuck44 12-07-2010 03:05 PM

I had t-blades on my 735's, they were great. I loved taking the sharpener variable out since I knew what the blades would feel like every single time. They're supposed to be the lighest runner/holder system out there I think. The only problem is that they're becoming very hard to come by at stores. I had to drive half an hour from my house to get runners every time because none of the stores stocked them anymore.

Torquenstein 12-07-2010 03:29 PM

Can someone please explain me what the magic with t-blades is. I never understood why the might be better than other skates.

Ozolinsh_27 12-07-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torquenstein (Post 29418492)
Can someone please explain me what the magic with t-blades is. I never understood why the might be better than other skates.

Consistent sharpening/edges. Cheap and quick to replace if you're unsatisfied with the sharpening or I'm not sure but I think also if part of the holder broke? Never wore them myself, my LHS was big on them and pushed them for awhile.

T-blades were really light in terms of weight and came out around/just before the skate industry got into lighter materials for their skates so they were advantageous in terms of weight - especially as the wearer's skates absorbed moisture towards the end of a game and contributed to an already heavy skate.

Skate boot materials have dramatically improved over the past 10 years, along with holders/steel construction + weight -- sorta made T-blades almost an inconvenience now [except for Graf ;) I think they actually bought the T-blades company - just overheard some guy at my LHS say it but was never really interested enough to check]. There are still some devoted guys rocking them. I think Jochen Hecht still wears them or at least did in the past 2 seasons.

I'm curious about the OP though, what type of skates you wearing? Most complaints nowadays about blade quality/sharpening frequency are from Graf wearers and the steel Graf uses. I'm a big fan of the Tuuk Lightspeed 2s steel, I only ever sharpen my skates about once every 12-15 skates.

timekeep 12-07-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torquenstein (Post 29418492)

The main advantage is the consistent sharpening and length of usage. They do last allot longer than a regular sharpening.

The disadvantage now is finding them.

Loungie 12-07-2010 09:26 PM

I wear bauer x:40s and I'm not too fond of them

clefty 12-07-2010 09:31 PM

T-Blades were all the rage around the rink I go to a couple of years ago. A lot of the kids on the midget team would tell me they wanted to get T-Blades or excitedly tell me they were getting some or already had them.

Now, I don't know anyone who uses them. Hadn't even heard them mentioned in about a year and a half since this thread.

sherwood sniper 12-08-2010 01:37 AM

I've skated in just about every brand of holder/ steel there is and the t-blades were by far the best. I actually took them off recently though due to lack of availability of replacement blades. I went back to the LS2's and my skating has suffered a bit.

Pros:
Glide- the way they cut the steel makes them glide way better than standard steel to the point that you almost have to relearn your stride. took me about an hour to get my form back.

Agility- Unlike your standard steel holder combo, the blade actually flexes when turning keeping the actual blade somewhat perpendicular to the ice. Extreme sharp turns are very easy with them> This is the area where I miss my t-blades the most.

Consistency/ Replacement- Every set of blades you get are the same. They are extremely easy to change. Especially if you put the screw heads on the inside of your skate. I've literally changed blades in between shifts. There are several different rockers and hollows available. I used to carry 3 different hollows with me, after warm ups I could change my blades for different ice conditions.

Sound- They are a bit louder. However, I find this to be an advantage. Players think your closer, therefor rush the play IMO.

Cons:

Durability- The actual blade is fine and they last forever but the holder itself isn't very strong. They tend to crack around the base on the inside of the heel. Myself and a teammate went trough 4 right foot holders in one season. Maybe try the carbon's???

Looks- You will get chirped at so be prepared.

Availability- Gotta buy in bulk, run out at the wrong time and you might find yourself in some trouble.

Sorry for the long review, but I really did enjoy the advantages with the T-blade system and feel they get a bad rap. Due to my local supplier closing and sick of ordering online, I kinda gave up on them. I will say though that I lost an average of .2 seconds on a full lap time just from switching to the LS2's and defiantly loose that occasional edge just a little bit more.......

BTW: YOU CAN NOT SHARPEN THESE. THE STEEL IS ONLY ABOUT AN 1/8 INCH THICK. WARPS THEM ALL TO HELL...I TRIED.

ponder 12-08-2010 02:17 AM

They just seem so wasteful to me.

Nbr-17 12-08-2010 08:28 AM

Great post sherwood sniper.
I can find them locally so no issue there.
Also when mine start to get dull, I switch them around and get more life out of them.
The cost is definitely not more than regular sharpening. T-Blade runners are $20 a pair.

Torquenstein 12-08-2010 10:11 AM

Well if sharpening, or not sharping to stick to the case, is one of the main benefits, they are nothing for me cause I work at a rink, so I get the sharpening done for free:naughty:

Loungie 12-08-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherwood sniper (Post 29430480)
I've skated in just about every brand of holder/ steel there is and the t-blades were by far the best. I actually took them off recently though due to lack of availability of replacement blades. I went back to the LS2's and my skating has suffered a bit.

Pros:
Glide- the way they cut the steel makes them glide way better than standard steel to the point that you almost have to relearn your stride. took me about an hour to get my form back.

Agility- Unlike your standard steel holder combo, the blade actually flexes when turning keeping the actual blade somewhat perpendicular to the ice. Extreme sharp turns are very easy with them> This is the area where I miss my t-blades the most.

Consistency/ Replacement- Every set of blades you get are the same. They are extremely easy to change. Especially if you put the screw heads on the inside of your skate. I've literally changed blades in between shifts. There are several different rockers and hollows available. I used to carry 3 different hollows with me, after warm ups I could change my blades for different ice conditions.

Sound- They are a bit louder. However, I find this to be an advantage. Players think your closer, therefor rush the play IMO.

Cons:

Durability- The actual blade is fine and they last forever but the holder itself isn't very strong. They tend to crack around the base on the inside of the heel. Myself and a teammate went trough 4 right foot holders in one season. Maybe try the carbon's???

Looks- You will get chirped at so be prepared.

Availability- Gotta buy in bulk, run out at the wrong time and you might find yourself in some trouble.

Sorry for the long review, but I really did enjoy the advantages with the T-blade system and feel they get a bad rap. Due to my local supplier closing and sick of ordering online, I kinda gave up on them. I will say though that I lost an average of .2 seconds on a full lap time just from switching to the LS2's and defiantly loose that occasional edge just a little bit more.......

BTW: YOU CAN NOT SHARPEN THESE. THE STEEL IS ONLY ABOUT AN 1/8 INCH THICK. WARPS THEM ALL TO HELL...I TRIED.

Thanks this is probably the best reply yet