HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers interested in Dartmouth's Grant Lewis (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=85120)

RangerBoy 06-20-2004 12:12 AM

Rangers interested in Dartmouth's Grant Lewis

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_199635.html

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound defenseman has been interviewed by 23 teams and gotten the most interest from the Tampa Bay Lightning, the New York Rangers, the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers.

Burberry Manning 06-20-2004 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_199635.html

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound defenseman has been interviewed by 23 teams and gotten the most interest from the Tampa Bay Lightning, the New York Rangers, the Nashville Predators and the Atlanta Thrashers.

One of my best friends is an athlete at Dartmouth(lax) and tonight he brought his friend out to hang with us. I had a very long drunken conversation with both of them and they told me that Jessiman and this guy are really great players. They said Hugh hasn't changed at all and is very level headed and is a nice guy. I was also told that Jessiman said to them that "frat life" kind of interfered with his development (pledging) as a hockey player this past season, but he is a cool kid and loves the Ranger organization. They also felt that Lewis was a bigger contributor to the team this past season than Hugh. For what it's worth I like the fact that both players are approachable at school and haven't let success and fame get to their heads. It's always a positive to be able to relate to an athlete and cheer for them on a personal level.

Edge 06-20-2004 05:59 AM

I had a feeling, they'd be interested in him.

modestfwd 06-20-2004 10:30 AM

His and Reese are buddies, which I found interesting. If we drafted him, the two of them would flip out, possibly pushing them even more to making our roster...
Psycology thing.

broadwayblue 06-20-2004 11:03 AM

when would we take him? he looks like a third round selection...and as of yet i don't believe we have any third round picks.

Prucha73 06-20-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
when would we take him? he looks like a third round selection...and as of yet i don't believe we have any third round picks.

I assume we trade down our #51 pick for a 3rd rounder and maybe a #63 pick and we probably would take him with the #63 pick.

Bluenote13 06-20-2004 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modestfwd
His and Reese are buddies, which I found interesting. If we drafted him, the two of them would flip out, possibly pushing them even more to making our roster...
Psycology thing.

They played for the Pittsburgh Forge together before they both entered College. Lewis is definitely on the Ranger's radar screen.

Edge 06-20-2004 06:17 PM

I'd consider him with a second rounder.

Bluenote13 06-20-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I'd consider him with a second rounder.

I like him. Big, rangy, offense is just developing. He has potential, i'd take the risk.

Potted Plant 06-20-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I like him. Big, rangy, offense is just developing. He has potential, i'd take the risk.

If there is one thing we can afford to do this draft, it is to "take risks". 7 of the first 51 picks gives you a lot of flexibility.

Bluenote13 06-20-2004 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
If there is one thing we can afford to do this draft, it is to "take risks". 7 of the first 51 picks gives you a lot of flexibility.

Size, skating, skill. Those are Slat's & co's top three. They'll look for at least 2 out of the 3 when making their picks.

Broadway Brett 06-20-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

According to Kyle Woodlief, he has none of the above. But that is just his opinion. But, I certainly wouldn't take his opinion with a grain of salt, I mean he was a scout for the Preds, so he is a very good talent evaluator.

Bluenote13 06-20-2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
According to Kyle Woodlief, he has none of the above. But that is just his opinion. But, I certainly wouldn't take his opinion with a grain of salt, I mean he was a scout for the Preds, so he is a very good talent evaluator.

I spoke to Woodlief recently. He also doesn't like Wes O'neil, Kris Chucko or Miikka Tuomainen, who happen to be 3 guys i like. We agreed that the Ragers probably wouldn't take these guys too high because of their poor to average skating. Grant Lewis is a good skater and has nice size, leg strength and passing skills. He's played with Ranger's draft picks Dylan Reese(NAHL) & Hugh Jessiman(Dartmouth) - I can see our scouts having interest.

IMO, Grant is overrated if you're considering him at #24, but in the 2nd round he could be a nice choice.

Edge 06-20-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby

He's also the guy who swore up and down Legwand was going to be better than LeCalvier.

Prucha73 06-20-2004 09:54 PM

Lewis sounds like he could be a steal. THN has him rated at #92, what is the knock on him? Is he really a great passer or just lucky secondary assists?

Onion Boy 06-20-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Size, skating, skill. Those are Slat's & co's top three.

What about "grit and determination"? :)

BTW, anyone know if they're gonna do another brief documentary inside the NYR draft this summer.

Bluenote13 06-20-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb3599
What about "grit and determination"? :)

That goes without saying ;)