HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Berger: Kessel Should Be Ashamed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=851281)

Transplanted Caper 12-09-2010 11:58 AM

Kessel Should Be Ashamed

Quote:

Phil Kessel has to be better than this. He just has to be.

No one expects the talented forward to put the Maple Leafs on his back anymore; he isn’t that type of player and never will be. But, invisible? That doesn’t cut it — not now, not tomorrow, not next month or next season. And, damned well not for $5.4 million of cap space and three draft choices, two of them first-rounders. Really, folks, this doesn’t fall on Brian Burke any longer. The trade with Boston will be debated for eons, but Kessel must hold up his end of the bargain. Right now, he is mailing it in… night after night after night. And that’s on his shoulders, nobody else’s.

Burke didn’t go after Kessel with a loaded gun. The Wisconsin native was happy to leave Boston, and thrilled to be showered with riches by the Blue & White. He worked hard to rehabilitate a wonky shoulder and performed with loads of zeal and gusto after pulling on a Toronto jersey for the first time 13 months ago.

Today, only the number on his uniform bares similarity to that player. There is no evidence that Kessel can or will do anything to justify his status as the club’s marquee figure. He has three lousy goals in the past 18 games – a tailspin that resembles the 2-in-24 calamity through the middle of last season. Heck, John Mitchell could do that, and for a lot less money.

If there’s an injury holding him back — something the Leafs are keeping quiet — Phil shouldn’t be on the ice. Period.

Kessel is treated with kid gloves in this city. You’ll hardly hear a peep of condemnation from Ron Wilson, who has occasionally tried to get through to the winger by planting his rump on the bench for a few shifts. But Wilson won’t go overboard, knowing his boss has staked a large chunk of reputation on No. 81. Reporters tip-toe around Kessel and his peculiar disposition, wondering if we’ll ever get more than the patented shrug; the pained smile, and the “Aw darn, it has to go in for me eventually” pretense.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/n...ld-be-ashamed/

NoTouchIcing 12-09-2010 11:59 AM

He hates Wilson like half the team, it's pretty obvious he's not going to work for this coach.

dirk41 12-09-2010 12:00 PM

Burke should be ashamed.

Suntouchable13 12-09-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing (Post 29455116)
He hates Wilson like half the team, it's pretty obvious he's not going to work for this coach.

Does he hate his GM too?

NoTouchIcing 12-09-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 (Post 29455145)
Does he hate his GM too?

Regardless he's acting very selfish lately, which shouldn't be surprising given the way he comes off.

Darylman 12-09-2010 12:03 PM

Pretty sure Kessel doesn't care who the coach is. He almost showed some emotion and desire last night, but it was fleeting. Must be embarrasing to go up against Crosby and fail so spectacularly. He just doesn't have "it". He'll be a good player for us, but we have to resign ourselves to just getting someone who is a much more talented Hagman.

LeafDangler 12-09-2010 12:04 PM

A rare Berger piece that I completely agree with. Kessel is the exact opposite of everything Burke says he wants this team to be. He's probably the softest player in the league, no exaggeration. Can someone name someone softer? The talent is there but I'm really beginning to question if the drive is there to ever elevate him into the upper echelon of NHL scorers.

smitty10 12-09-2010 12:04 PM

Kessel is just in a slump. No one was saying stuff like this at the start of the year when he had like 7 goals in his first 7 games. People have such short memories and it leads to crap like this. Honestly, he is a great player and is having some issues but he will find his game again.

BobbyFischer* 12-09-2010 12:04 PM

Wow. Berger is simply 100% correct. Seriously. Could not have said it better myself.

I think Burke did not evaluate Kessel's character too well either.. or lack thereof I should say!

MoreMogilny 12-09-2010 12:07 PM

Agree with Berger for once. I hate watching players float along the ice with no effort, and that is what Kessel has been doing. I also think Burke should be ashamed for his improper evaluation of both the state of the Leafs team, and the type of player Phil Kessel is.

BobbyFischer* 12-09-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 29455201)
Kessel is just in a slump. No one was saying stuff like this at the start of the year when he had like 7 goals in his first 7 games. People have such short memories and it leads to crap like this. Honestly, he is a great player and is having some issues but he will find his game again.

Kessel has a lot of talent and skill, that's all well and fine, but the fact of the matter is, his character.. at the end of the day, makes him expendable.

LeafDangler 12-09-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 29455201)

Extended slumps are what separate good players from great players. We payed the price for a great player. What has Kessel improved upon in the past 2 years? It's the glaring lack of progression that bothers me.

Polarized 12-09-2010 12:10 PM

Kessel is not only soft but he puts no effort into game without the puck. Forechecking and "bumping" guys. He does not play aggressive and waits for the puck to come to him. A floater.

Cammalleri is tougher than him, and that is why he is more effective even though he is smaller.

BobbyFischer* 12-09-2010 12:10 PM

I know I know it's been said a million times but, signing Cammalleri to a contract instead of dealing our future away would have been a genius move, Cammy has the skills AND the character and attitude it takes to win.

AND Cammy would still be relatively young by the time our 1st rounders developed (He's only 27).

BraveCanadian 12-09-2010 12:11 PM

Trying to blame Kessel for Burke's mistake? Kessel is Kessel and unfortunately for us we're realizing this now.

Everyone. And I mean everyone knew that Kessel had an attitude and work ethic problem when he was in Boston.

Burke, with that magnificent ego of his, thought he could retool this team into a contender faster than the traditional "through the draft" method.

He refused to use an offer sheet which would have at least saved one first rounder because of his ego and his earlier condemnation of Lowe for the same. Strike 1. We got fleeced in this deal. Burke couldn't have known it for sure at the time but the risk was there.

He also believed that he could attract free agents of some note to support his re-tool. Unfortunately in a salary cap world it is more difficult to outbid other teams for free agents, and players are tending to sign on where they have a chance to win instead of going to free agency. We don't have anyone capable of creating plays and getting Kessel the puck. Strike 2.

Our incredibly overpriced blueline is Strike 3 to me. Phaneuf is playing like a 3 million dollar defenseman and don't get me started on Komi... They need to turn the whole thing over again or Phaneuf needs to turn back the clock in a big way..

He traded for a player who is certainly a 1st liner in talent but not a building block player.

He has failed spectacularly. This team won't start being a contender unless he can manage to find a legitimate front line center. Quite possibly the only way to get one is to draft one and that means we're waiting for Kadri to *hopefully* develop into one or the 2012 draft.

Darylman 12-09-2010 12:12 PM

Of course he's in a slump, everyone recognizes that he will score more goals this year, perhaps 30.

What we're saying is that when a player consistently goes into deep scoring droughts, and they're supposed to be the best player on the team, what does that say about the team? Kessel is now becoming a consistently inconsistent scorer, which is a damn shame considering what we've seen him do.

We can't know whether its psychological or not, but given his attitude issues, I wouldn't doubt that it is. He's just not a premier talent, but we paid the price as if he was one, and he gets paid as such.

NoTouchIcing 12-09-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafDangler (Post 29455198)
A rare Berger piece that I completely agree with. Kessel is the exact opposite of everything Burke says he wants this team to be. He's probably the softest player in the league, no exaggeration. Can someone name someone softer? The talent is there but I'm really beginning to question if the drive is there to ever elevate him into the upper echelon of NHL scorers.

Tyler Bozak?

SeenSchenn2 12-09-2010 12:15 PM

Howard Berger needs to leave town.

LeafDangler 12-09-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing (Post 29455366)
Tyler Bozak?

Bozak is nowhere near as soft as Kessel. He works hard down low and forechecks hard. Really poor answer.

mooseOAK* 12-09-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 29455312)
I know I know it's been said a million times but, signing Cammalleri to a contract instead of dealing our future away would have been a genius move, Cammy has the skills AND the character and attitude it takes to win.

AND Cammy would still be relatively young by the time our 1st rounders developed (He's only 27).

It's been said a million times by people who don't have a clue that it takes two sides to agree to a contract.

NoTouchIcing 12-09-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafDangler (Post 29455446)
Bozak is nowhere near as soft as Kessel. He works hard down low and forechecks hard. Really poor answer.

Tyler Bozak is by far the softest player on this team. Working hard doesn't mean you're not soft. He gets pushed off the puck more than anyone I've seen.

Dark Passenger 12-09-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polarized (Post 29455303)
Kessel is not only soft but he puts no effort into game without the puck. Forechecking and "bumping" guys. He does not play aggressive and waits for the puck to come to him. A floater.

Cammalleri is tougher than him, and that is why he is more effective even though he is smaller.

You couldnt help think, watching Camalleri in the playoffs last year, he is exactly the type of skilled player that Kessel isnt. Kessel may have more talent, but Camalleri competes hard and finds ways to contribute for the team.

Its easy to beat-up on kessel now that he's in a slump, but the worrying aspect is that he doesnt seem to be working hard enough to get out of this slump.

BobbyFischer* 12-09-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderwall (Post 29455505)
You couldnt help think, watching Camalleri in the playoffs last year, he is exactly the type of skilled player that Kessel isnt. Kessel may have more talent, but Camalleri competes hard and finds ways to contribute for the team.

Its easy to beat-up on kessel now that he's in a slump, but the worrying aspect is that he doesnt seem to be working hard enough to get out of this slump.

Exactly!

Hell, and with the attitude and character Cammy has, he would have probably been our captain.

Dark Passenger 12-09-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing (Post 29455497)
Tyler Bozak is by far the softest player on this team. Working hard doesn't mean you're not soft. He gets pushed off the puck more than anyone I've seen.

You must be watching a different game then.
Bozak might have had his struggles offensively, this year, but he isnt soft.

NoTouchIcing 12-09-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderwall (Post 29455602)
You must be watching a different game then.
Bozak might have had his struggles offensively, this year, but he isnt soft.

Ugh. I'm not derailing this thread to put down another Leaf. Just starting watching him try and not get pushed off the puck, ok?