HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers pick at 6 - rumors from Edmonton (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=85165)

speeds 06-20-2004 10:27 AM

Rangers pick at 6 - rumors from Edmonton

It's just speculation, of course, but HoF journalist Jim Matheson wrote in today's journal that NYR.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=85156

specualtion is Stafford to NYR, but they are interested in Montoya if PHX lets him by. Might just be idle speculation, then again Matheson has covered the Oilers for forever, so this could be sourced from the NYR organization

For whatever that info is worth (can't give a link, it's through a pay sight for the Journal in Edmonton)

modestfwd 06-20-2004 10:34 AM

If we pick Montoya I'll kill Sather. We do not need a goalie at #6.
Stafford at 6 is quite a reach. Ladd or Olesz. If not them, then Tukonen or Thelan.
I like Stafford a lot, but not enough to pick him over those 4.

broadwayblue 06-20-2004 10:57 AM

Stafford at 6? From what i've read on him he's a mid to late first rounder who should still be available outside the top 10. if we're so high on him we should trade down 5 spots and collect some additional picks for next year.

As for Montoya i'm with most everyone else on him. i think with Lundquist and Blackburn both a year or two away from primetime there's no reason we need to draft a goalie this high.

Unknownbutfamous 06-20-2004 11:03 AM

Please not Stafford! We always do this. Take Olesz or Ladd with number 6!

Maybe this guy is reffering to Stafford as the pick that the Rangers trade up to, like in the teens. But No Stafford at 6!

karl_hungus 06-20-2004 11:06 AM

Speaking of goalies...I just checked out McKeen's mock draft and they have us picking Schwarz at 6...passing on Ladd, Thelen and Tukonen.

Janerixon 06-20-2004 11:21 AM

Matheson doesnt even have olesz in the top 6, he is way off, everywhere ive read olesz is the player who is said to be the most ready to step into the nhl and play at a high level on a 2nd line, and he isnt even in the top 6? they also have two goalies going 5 and 6 to two teams with good young goaltenders in their organizations? i think someone isnt doing their homework

sather is not going to take a goalie at 6, unless he plans on trading up and getting another top 10 pick to take a d-man or foward

broadwayblue 06-20-2004 11:24 AM

McKeen's has Olesz going 4th to Columbus

Prucha73 06-20-2004 11:27 AM

I think that has got to be the worst Mock draft I have seen so far.

Janerixon 06-20-2004 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
McKeen's has Olesz going 4th to Columbus

Olesz is defintely a top 6 pick and if he falls to us and sather doesnt take him then he really does not want this organization to suceed

Broadway Brett 06-20-2004 11:42 AM

I got a feeling that this is all BS, and that Slats will take Olesz, Ladd, or someone like that, and not Stafford. What does this guy know about the Rangers organization, anyways?

bobbop 06-20-2004 12:05 PM

If the Rangers really want Stafford, I'm betting they trade down with LA (who desperately wants one of the top two goaltenders) for an additional second or perhaps something else.

DarthSather99 06-20-2004 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
I got a feeling that this is all BS, and that Slats will take Olesz, Ladd, or someone like that, and not Stafford. What does this guy know about the Rangers organization, anyways?

um Mathison writes for Edmonton....um where Glen Sather spent most of his life and... um and where most people in this organization (NYR) are now connected .... let's just say he probably knows one or two people high up in the chain of command.

speeds 06-20-2004 12:17 PM

I'd be surprised if Sather passed on Olesz as well, but perhaps (I haven't read the article itself yet, maybe it's mentioned and maybe it isn't) Matheson is assuming the top 5 will be Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Montoya.

Ladd and Tukonen are supposedly supposed to go around this point, I'm not particularly high on Ladd, maybe the Rangers aren't either, same could be true with Tukonen.

I guess I'm saying I could easily see how NYR might have Stafford as their BPA in that situation, and they might not be wrong either?

Kubera55 06-20-2004 12:23 PM

1) BPA BPA BPA! If it's Montoya or Schwarz, so be it.

2) Stafford? Big, defensively sound, hard-working, American forward playing in the NCAA? Sounds like a Sather sort of pick. Yeah, I hear bad things about his offensive upside, but I could imagine worse. Ladd and Olesz certainly both sound more exciting, but neither of them are supposed to be offensive wunderkinds either. And Olesz still has that concussion . . . eh, I dunno. I wouldn't be doing cartwheels down the street, but I can see it being a good pick.

I still think it's going to be Thelen, to be perfectly honest . . .

BLACKBURN 06-20-2004 12:23 PM

If Ladd is available its a no brainer. The guy is a big step in the right direction of our youth movement. Stafford is a guy that seems to have a relatively low ceiling and who does not have the potential of other guys available. If we took Stafford at 6 we would regret it for years to come.

speeds 06-20-2004 12:31 PM

I'm not so sure Ladd is seen as a guy with enormous offensive upside himself, not to me anyways.

Prucha73 06-20-2004 12:40 PM

If I was Sather I would at least try to get Tukonen, who is big, safe, is pretty much a complete package and doesn't have any major weaknesses while being one of the youngest players in the draft.

Shadowtron 06-20-2004 01:02 PM

I just want them to get the best player available. If that means it's Montoya, then so be it. It'd leave a bad taste in my mouth, but oh well. On the bright side we'd have three solid bluechip goalies in the stable.

Broadway Brett 06-20-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I just want them to get the best player available. If that means it's Montoya, then so be it. It'd leave a bad taste in my mouth, but oh well. On the bright side we'd have three solid bluechip goalies in the stable.

I see Montoya as the 2nd coming of Mike Richter.

modestfwd 06-20-2004 01:49 PM

The thing is, Montoya would NOT be the BPA at 6. AO, Malkin, and Barker will be gone before 6. The next best players would be Olesz, Ladd, Tukonen, and Thelen. Thats 7 players better than Montoya. Montoya would not be the BPA, and a goalie is exactly what we do not need. Also, Schwarz is better than Montoya. He is being compared to Hasek, and I'd rather have Hasek than Richter.

MisterUnspoken 06-20-2004 02:07 PM

How do you know who is the BPA... anyway if Montoya gets drafted, Id expect one of the other goalies to be shipped out for a forward with upside. Taking Montoya doesn't mean that we have 3 goalies that can be studs, it means that we have two trading chips for the future, and get to basically find the best #1 out of the bunch to lead our team for the next 15 years, hopefully.

vega007 06-20-2004 02:09 PM

you should pick montoya and trade him to us (Calgary) for Lydman and Commodore

Prucha73 06-20-2004 02:11 PM

I think Sather knows that Coyotes are interested in Montoya and are thinking that they can trade down and get him, so Sather is trying to scare them by saying that Montoya might not be there so they would pick him at #5 and skip on one of the players that Sather really wants (hopefully Tukonen)

speeds 06-20-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think Sather knows that Coyotes are interested in Montoya and are thinking that they can trade down and get him, so Sather is trying to scare them by saying that Montoya might not be there so they would pick him at #5 and skip on one of the players that Sather really wants (hopefully Tukonen)

the gamesmanship is fun, isn't it :)

NYR469 06-20-2004 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
How do you know who is the BPA... anyway if Montoya gets drafted, Id expect one of the other goalies to be shipped out for a forward with upside. Taking Montoya doesn't mean that we have 3 goalies that can be studs, it means that we have two trading chips for the future, and get to basically find the best #1 out of the bunch to lead our team for the next 15 years, hopefully.

but take a look at what goalies have returned in trades in recent years...kiprusoff got a 2nd rounder, cechmanek got a 4th rounder, etc...so unless the trade market for goalies drastically changes odds are you aren't going to get a player in the deal as good as the skater you could pick at #6