HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Roller Hockey in South FL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=851700)

CHGoalie27 12-10-2010 01:03 PM

Roller Hockey in South FL

Anyone getting a game together? Here's a thread to recruit some heads...

Sugarsand Park in Boca, between Palmetto Park and Camino on Military Trail, has people show every Wednesday night around 8:30.

...anywhere else?

Hip to be Square 12-10-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29478930)

Sugarsand Park in Boca, between Palmetto Park and Camino on Military Trail, has people show every Wednesday night around 8:30.

...anywhere else?

Sugarsand gets really hot in the summer (no overhang) but i imagine it's great now cause of the weather. There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.

Panteras 12-10-2010 01:19 PM

jesus I would love to go but I live close to the airport, imagine how far that is from me...I checked once in the Miami-Dade parks website, and there is literally like 1 park which is fit for roller hockey, and its maybe 2 miles from FIU which is where I go for my classes..supposedly they play there, when or how many people show up I have no idea, I have to go check it out and ask...

but yet again I have a feeling most people here live outside of Dade county so..

TimHortons 12-10-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29478930)

...anywhere else?

Good idea and I would join you guys but the trip would be pretty far since I don't live in FLA anymore.

Panteras 12-10-2010 01:28 PM

ok, so I just checked FIU has a roller hockey team, and they train in Goodlet Park, Hialeah...so obviously it seems like a park adequate enough for it, I'll go and check it out after I'm done with school which would be today...dunno if anyone would be interested in the place, although I looked through google earth/maps and it looks rather nice

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/...8553ecff_b.jpg

CHGoalie27 12-10-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip to be Square (Post 29479213)
Sugarsand gets really hot in the summer (no overhang) but i imagine it's great now cause of the weather. There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.

We tried that one when it was raining the other day. No nets.

Sugarsand is where it's at as far as what I've found (that isn't an indoor, organized, mucho $$$$ rink)

RainingRats 12-10-2010 05:19 PM

Are there any indoor adult leagues down here?

CHGoalie27 12-10-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 29483372)
Are there any indoor adult leagues down here?

Sports Mall, SW corner of 10th and Powerline in Deerfield Beach...there's also indoor Futbol.

Panteras, that looks awesome, makes me want to play so bad!

People should show up...would be interesting as hell to see everyone play together, especially after how we all talk about the pros.

RainingRats 12-10-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29483698)
Sports Mall, SW corner of 10th and Powerline in Deerfield Beach...there's also indoor Futbol.

People should show up...would be interesting as hell to see everyone play together, especially after how we all talk about the pros.

. I played there a year ago and it was called action academy and was really poorly run. I think they may have gone out of business. I would be down to play one night at sugarsand.

CHGoalie27 12-10-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 29483733)
. I played there a year ago and it was called action academy and was really poorly run. I think they may have gone out of business. I would be down to play one night at sugarsand.

Hell yeah! Next if not next Wednesday, the next two are holiday week Wednesdays!

Great group of guys, no cheap shots, always a fun skate. Friends welcome, more the merrier, more changing too.

ratmanfu 12-10-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip to be Square (Post 29479213)
There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.

I've played on that rink before...sucks to hear that it's in that condition now. That's the problem with outdoor rinks...no control on public misuse.

Up here in Asheville NC, we have one outdoor rink and I'm the commissioner for our Adult League. When League games aren't in session, I often have to kick the soccer players, skate rats and (believe it or not) WoW reenactors off the rink. The only non-hockey folks authorized to share the rink are the Blue Ridge Roller Girls team.

Unfortunately, no one can protect it 24 hours a day, but I've found the best way to minimize misuse is to encourage pick-up games and practices.

16Skippy 12-10-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmanfu (Post 29486801)
I've played on that rink before...sucks to hear that it's in that condition now. That's the problem with outdoor rinks...no control on public misuse.

Up here in Asheville NC, we have one outdoor rink and I'm the commissioner for our Adult League. When League games aren't in session, I often have to kick the soccer players, skate rats and (believe it or not) WoW reenactors off the rink. The only non-hockey folks authorized to share the rink are the Blue Ridge Roller Girls team.

Unfortunately, no one can protect it 24 hours a day, but I've found the best way to minimize misuse is to encourage pick-up games and practices.

hahahahaha that just made my night! :laugh:

Panteras 12-10-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29483698)

well, like I said I'm gonna go check it out when I have a chance, I actually have a net in my house and I practice from time to time but it's hard to get people to play since I only have 1 friend who likes hockey and he doesn't even know how to skate, I mean I'm not good either but I can hold my own

either ways I don't have high hopes since most people here don't live in the Miami-Dade area from what I see so...

really sucks though, I wish I could play

fortunerox 12-11-2010 01:49 AM

www.sunilandhockey.org has a rink way down south (by me) on us1 and sw 152nd st.

FIU (south campus) has a rink also.

The FIU rink is pretty neglected and the surface need polishing, no nets and holes all in the boards. The suniland rink, where I play is decent, nice nets good boards, decent surface but its locked most of the time, we play almost every weekday night. Not sure if anyone else on here is this far south but we could use a few more players in the league.

flapanthersfan 12-11-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortunerox (Post 29494338)
www.sunilandhockey.org has a rink way down south (by me) on us1 and sw 152nd st.

The FIU rink is pretty neglected and the surface need polishing, no nets and holes all in the boards. The suniland rink, where I play is decent, nice nets good boards, decent surface but its locked most of the time, we play almost every weekday night. Not sure if anyone else on here is this far south but we could use a few more players in the league.

i also play in that league. what team are you on?? :)

Panteras 12-11-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortunerox (Post 29494338)

ohh wow I didn't even know we had a rink dude, but the roller hockey team doesn't train there though, according to their website they train in the park I posted above..

would you be willing to up to FIU? I have a net, I dunno if anyone else has a net ?

Baba Ganoush 12-21-2010 02:19 PM

hey guys n gals, don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't want to start a new one either.

i made a topic a few months ago called "shinny". i just moved to Florida a while back and couldn't get on an ice hockey team up here...and am having a really tough time finding shinny to play.

i got the schedule for the one arena on Federal Hwy (lighthouse point or something...don't remember the arena name) but i can't make it out to them. they play through the week at noon (i work til 2) and weekends they play at 10pm (dad works...only have the one vehicle), so i'm not sure how i can get out and play. sucks!

does anyone else play at a different time at another arena near Ft Lauderdale/Pompano? any info is greatly appreciated, as i'm dying to play. thx

CHGoalie27 12-22-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush (Post 29704583)
hey guys n gals, don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't want to start a new one either.

i made a topic a few months ago called "shinny". i just moved to Florida a while back and couldn't get on an ice hockey team up here...and am having a really tough time finding shinny to play.

i got the schedule for the one arena on Federal Hwy (lighthouse point or something...don't remember the arena name) but i can't make it out to them. they play through the week at noon (i work til 2) and weekends they play at 10pm (dad works...only have the one vehicle), so i'm not sure how i can get out and play. sucks!

does anyone else play at a different time at another arena near Ft Lauderdale/Pompano? any info is greatly appreciated, as i'm dying to play. thx

Glacier Ice and Snow is the Pomano/LighthousePt. rink......from there, travel south on FederalHwy/US1 and turn right(west) onto Sample Rd. and go as far west on that road as possible and you'll hit the Panthers practice spot...

Glacier is the only eastern rink I know of...

Baba Ganoush 12-22-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29722808)
Glacier Ice and Snow is the Pomano/LighthousePt. rink......from there, travel south on FederalHwy/US1 and turn right(west) onto Sample Rd. and go as far west on that road as possible and you'll hit the Panthers practice spot...

Glacier is the only eastern rink I know of...

thanks. do you play there? if so, what's the pace like?

i don't care either way since i'm a goalie, but just curious.

CHGoalie27 12-22-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush (Post 29726310)
thanks. do you play there? if so, what's the pace like?

I don't care either way since i'm a goalie, but just curious.

I play at both spots when I can, no constant team, a lot of subbing.
Sometimes we'll be bored, other times it'll be a blast...never under-estimate the old guys.

..off to Sugarsand, we apparently have two goalies!

CHGoalie27 12-22-2010 11:47 PM

Great skate tonight, two goalies, 10 players a side...everyone fair and unselfish as hell about line changes...

WHO'S COMING NEXT WEEK??

Holy Jokinen 12-23-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29734303)
Great skate tonight, two goalies, 10 players a side...everyone fair and unselfish as hell about line changes...

WHO'S COMING NEXT WEEK??

Where'd you play? Sugarsand?

Let me know next time you play! We're playing tomorrow with a few of us that used to play a couple years ago. It's up in boynton though. But i'm always looking for playing time.

Of course, i go back to Tampa in a couple weeks, but still...

CHGoalie27 12-23-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen (Post 29734745)
Where'd you play? Sugarsand?

Let me know next time you play! We're playing tomorrow with a few of us that used to play a couple years ago. It's up in boynton though. But i'm always looking for playing time.

Of course, i go back to Tampa in a couple weeks, but still...

Yep! Next Wednesday at 8:30...guaranteed two goalies even if I have to abandon my ice/goalie-roller/forward system.

Holy Jokinen 12-23-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 (Post 29736804)
Yep! Next Wednesday at 8:30...guaranteed two goalies even if I have to abandon my ice/goalie-roller/forward system.

Cool, i'll be there and might bring a few guys as well.

RainingRats 12-25-2010 01:36 PM

For the sugarsand crowd. Any chance you guys want to or will play tomorrow?