HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Quebec Invades The Island (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=851778)

LadyStanley 12-10-2010 10:21 AM

Quebec Invades The Island
 
Should have a bit of an attendance bump on Saturday:

mirtle
Wow. 23 busloads of Quebec Nordiques fans are going to crash the Islanders game on Saturday: http://aol.it/fpyAqb


Assuming 50/bus (average), that's around 1150 folks.

AllByDesign 12-10-2010 03:56 PM

Quebec Invades The Island
 
1,100 hundred strong going to Long Island from Quebec. Will this make a statement?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344972

17* 12-10-2010 04:18 PM

Interesting idea, but won't make much of a difference to the BOG. Not until QC has an arena and can demonstrate corporate support.

Finnish your Czech 12-10-2010 04:23 PM

it would be funny if the isles were playing the avs

17* 12-10-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech (Post 29482483)
it would be funny if the isles were playing the avs

True, but I think the message they are trying to send is that a team in QC would get better support than either the Islanders or the Thrashers. The AVs get good support.

Isles4ever11 12-10-2010 04:32 PM

I'm not familiar with the Atlanta situation so I can't comment on it.

Isles attendance has been historically low this year (or is on its way to be) because Wang raised ticket prices after a 26th and 30th place finish, the team is 1-15-3 over it's last 19 games, and fans are just completely against Wang and Snow. There have been people wearing paper bags around the NVMC all year. More Fisherman jerseys than I've ever seen. Even some Wang Must Go chants sparingly. It's not that Long Island can't support a franchise. It just won't support Wang and won't support another losing season.

Mathradio 12-10-2010 04:33 PM

1,100 strong? I think there is going to be more than 1,100 Islanders fans to attempt to counter the Nordiques assault.

I remember 23 buses being booked to that end... if not more.

Bob1321 12-10-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 29482641)
1,100 strong? I think there is going to be more than 1,100 Islanders fans to attempt to counter the Nordiques assault.

I remember 23 buses being booked to that end... if not more.

try to bring 1100 to another city for a NHL game!!!!

AllByDesign 12-10-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathradio (Post 29482641)
1,100 strong? I think there is going to be more than 1,100 Islanders fans to attempt to counter the Nordiques assault.

I remember 23 buses being booked to that end... if not more.

The article states 1,100 Nordique fans with tickets. The math can debated with the TSN staffers.

My thoughts go a bit deeper than the article delves. Does this make a stronger message to the NHL or perhaps does it give Wang more ammo in his efforts to get a new arena built? Can Wang now say.. hey look, we could lose this franchise if we don't act?

Bob1321 12-10-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllByDesign (Post 29482699)
The article states 1,100 Nordique fans with tickets. The math can debated with the TSN staffers.

My thoughts go a bit deeper than the article delves. Does this make a stronger message to the NHL or perhaps does it give Wang more ammo in his efforts to get a new arena built? Can Wang now say.. hey look, we could lose this franchise if we don't act?

It will be 1100 in a trip with a compagny
but many more will go with their car

GreatCanadian 12-10-2010 04:45 PM

It is an interesting idea. Mind you, like others have said, it seems like the Islander fans are simply "protesting" the owner, not necessarily lacking fans.

Cool idea though :handclap: I applaud the city's efforts to get a team. They are showing the league/fans that they are TRUE hockey fans. That is never a bad thing!

Fel 96 12-10-2010 04:52 PM

for the record, the tickets only cost $20. They will have good seats too.


btw, we should expect to an announcement about the new amphitheater from the Quebec City mayor in January.

GreatCanadian 12-10-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllByDesign (Post 29482699)
The article states 1,100 Nordique fans with tickets. The math can debated with the TSN staffers.

My thoughts go a bit deeper than the article delves. Does this make a stronger message to the NHL or perhaps does it give Wang more ammo in his efforts to get a new arena built? Can Wang now say.. hey look, we could lose this franchise if we don't act?

Exactly. The situation is a win-win for the league, really.

Jeffrey93 12-10-2010 06:21 PM

This is good because it will shove the media in the faces of Bettman & Daly even more. Bettman will have to answer questions about this...which I just KNOW he hates...so I like it.

Buck Aki Berg 12-10-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17 (Post 29482432)
Interesting idea, but won't make much of a difference to the BOG. Not until QC has an arena and can demonstrate corporate support.

You can never start too early with stuff like this. If the league allowed the Ottawa Civic Center, Cow Palace, and Expo Hall to be used as NHL facilities, there shouldn't be a problem with the Nords playing out of Le Colisée for a season or two.

Also, something like this is sure to grab the attention of stakeholders related to the Quebec arena project, and get them off their arses to put shovels in the ground.

GreatCanadian 12-10-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haymaker (Post 29484279)
You can never start too early with stuff like this. If the league allowed the Ottawa Civic Center, Cow Palace, and Expo Hall to be used as NHL facilities, there shouldn't be a problem with the Nords playing out of Le Colisée for a season or two.

Also, something like this is sure to grab the attention of stakeholders related to the Quebec arena project, and get them off their arses to put shovels in the ground.

I agree. This will kick-start that arena deal. They might not need that 175-mil from the Feds after all (not that they would get it..)

Mind you, you would not want to move a team to Quebec City BEFORE they broke ground on a new rink. Imagine the situation that the team moves to the Le Colisée "temporarily", and the new arena just fizzles out. An NHL team with a 55+ year old facility would be Bettman's big, scary nightmare to end all nightmares. :naughty:

Faltorvo 12-10-2010 06:56 PM

This is a fantastic move IMO.

Ever little bit helps.

I heard on the radio that the trip is only costing $200 and there is time allotted to check out NYC.

One can only hope that this catches on and maybe a repeat of it at a strategic time would be in the works.

17* 12-10-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatCanadian (Post 29484623)
I agree. This will kick-start that arena deal. They might not need that 175-mil from the Feds after all (not that they would get it..)

Mind you, you would not want to move a team to Quebec City BEFORE they broke ground on a new rink. Imagine the situation that the team moves to the Le Colisée "temporarily", and the new arena just fizzles out. An NHL team with a 55+ year old facility would be Bettman's big, scary nightmare to end all nightmares. :naughty:

Worse still, they build a new $450M and never get a team, Copps Coliseum II.

Acesolid 12-10-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17 (Post 29487603)
Worse still, they build a new $450M and never get a team, Copps Coliseum II.

I'll say it for the 1 000 000 th time:

The Colisée is falling appart, it was built in the 40's!

If we had a team, they couldn't play in it more then a few years or we'd constantly have fans and players getting injured by pieces of the roof and ceiling falling on them and partial collapses of sections of the concrete foundations that haven't seen the light of day for 70 years. If we dont built a new one now, in 5 to 10 years max the city inspectors are closing it for being unsafe!

We need this arena, it's not normal for a city our size not to have a decent arena! In the worst case scenario, we could have an AHL team like Hamilton! But the Colisée is done!

And I wish a lot of fun to those who are going to New-York, hopefully nobody gets assaulted by a drunk Islanders fan (or gets drunk and assaults an Islanders fan) ;)

AllByDesign 12-10-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acesolid (Post 29489039)
I'll say it for the 1 000 000 th time:

The Colisée is falling appart, it was built in the 40's!

If we had a team, they couldn't play in it more then a few years or we'd constantly have fans and players getting injured by pieces of the roof and ceiling falling on them and partial collapses of sections of the concrete foundations that haven't seen the light of day for 70 years. If we dont built a new one now, in 5 to 10 years max the city inspectors are closing it for being unsafe!

We need this arena, it's not normal for a city our size not to have a decent arena! In the worst case scenario, we could have an AHL team like Hamilton! But the Colisée is done!

And I wish a lot of fun to those who are going to New-York, hopefully nobody gets assaulted by a drunk Islanders fan (or gets drunk and assaults an Islanders fan) ;)


I can vouch for this. I was at Le Colisee during the Canada cup in '91. I thought the roof would cave in every time Lindros stepped on the ice.

Grrrowlman 12-11-2010 12:18 AM

So now you want to STEAL THE TEAM from Atlanta Again? We sent you one before and you let them fold after Two Years, Two Years. Pryer to that you had Quebec Citadelles and they folded After what 3 years?

-The Atlanta Knights became the Quebec Rafales (French for "gust of wind"), after relocating to Quebec City, Quebec, and took residence at the Colisée de Québec. The team drew well in 1996–97 one year after the NHL Quebec Nordiques departed Quebec City for Denver, Colorado. The next year, after trading some of their best players, such as goaltender Stephane Beauregard, the team didn't reach the postseason. The owners did not realize the expected profit and folded the team after only two seasons in Quebec.

-You had an AHL TEAM Quebec Citadelles Quebec City 1999–2002 what is that 3 years

Jeffrey93 12-11-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17 (Post 29487603)
Worse still, they build a new $450M and never get a team, Copps Coliseum II.

I'll try to find the article...but the Hamilton Spectator recently celebrated Copps Coliseum's birthday with an article showing how busy of a building it has been and the records it has set.

Good thing they didn't pony up the extra bucks for those "NHL Amenities" up-front eh?!?!

The MTS Centre has the head-start on being "Copps Coliseum II"....although it's smaller and people wouldn't look at it as an NHL arena housing an AHL team....they look at it as an AHL arena hoping to house an NHL team.

Found the article!

Some highlights:

Quote:

More successes would follow — among them Michael Bublé, The Who, Britney Spears, Rush, Aerosmith, Cher, The Dixie Chicks, Rod Stewart, Pearl Jam, Alan Jackson, Reba McEntire, Kings of Leon and The Grateful Dead. Many would sell out Copps multiple times. All in all, Copps has hosted 266 major concert events during its 25-year run. On average that's 10.6 a year. Last year, the number was 22.

For those keeping score, Bruce Springsteen's 2008 concert was the biggest grossing show in terms of revenue, reaping more than $1.9 million in ticket sales, followed by Elton John ($1.76 million), Shania Twain ($1.73 million) and U2 ($1.5 million). Twain, however, holds the attendance record. With her unique “in-the-round” stage, Twain was able to put 18,573 fans in seats. Springsteen drew 18,254.
Keep in mind....the venue housed many local events and was home to an OHL team or AHL team through most of its life thus far. Limiting the available dates. Copps Coliseum was even home to the 'Hamilton SkyHawks'...a professional basketball team.

more....

Quote:

Copps hosted the Junos five times, helping build the music awards into a nationally televised success story. Grammy organizers even sent a delegation up to Hamilton from New York in the '90s to see how we managed to turn a small awards show into a megaconcert event.
You can read more of the highs and lows here.

It hasn't been all rosey...but a massive state-of-the-art building constructed on Ziegler's promise of an NHL franchise has done pretty well for itself. And to this day it is still capable (with designed for renovations) of being NHL calibre..

If anyone is interested here is an article showing Copps Coliseum's major events link.

Anyway.....if a new building in Quebec is 75% as successful as Copps Coliseum has been....Quebec will be fine. The difference is I believe the City of Hamilton was the primary funder of Copps Coliseum. They weren't asking for for a few hundred million from the federal government. City owned and city operated...(so far)....and it was something Hamilton required, NHL team or not. If an NHL team shows up in the next 10 years Copps Coliseum could be renovated (relatively easily) to be suitable for many years......this building was WAY ahead of its time. Overall a solid investment for Hamilton.

In the end....if Quebec needs a new rink...they need it. Much like Hamilton did. Although Hamilton's only other venue when Copps Coliseum was built was nothing more than a 'local rink' seating under 7,000.

I can understand how Quebec City needs a new 'venue'. But until a tenant arrives.....the Colisee is just fine. Just like Copps Coliseum (although much bigger and much better) will be fine for Hamilton until a team shows up. And when it does...it will still be more than fine for several years.


Ahhhhh.......

Jeffrey93 12-11-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllByDesign (Post 29489191)
I can vouch for this. I was at Le Colisee during the Canada cup in '91. I thought the roof would cave in every time Lindros stepped on the ice.

I understand how Quebec fans feel about him....but if Ownership could have hung on for one more year....Lindros would have won the Nordique the Stanley Cup. He GREATLY benefited that team by refusing to play there.

Plus, from what I have read and heard from him.....I don't blame him for not going to Quebec. Ego played a bit of a role....and I get that, nobody likes athletes that do that. However, Lindros had a pretty solid point. He would have been just fine playing in Junior until he was eligible for the draft again.....he followed the rules.

DieselBoy 12-11-2010 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grrrowlman (Post 29493397)
So now you want to STEAL THE TEAM from Atlanta Again? We sent you one before and you let them fold after Two Years, Two Years. Pryer to that you had Quebec Citadelles and they folded After what 3 years?

-The Atlanta Knights became the Quebec Rafales (French for "gust of wind"), after relocating to Quebec City, Quebec, and took residence at the Colisée de Québec. The team drew well in 1996–97 one year after the NHL Quebec Nordiques departed Quebec City for Denver, Colorado. The next year, after trading some of their best players, such as goaltender Stephane Beauregard, the team didn't reach the postseason. The owners did not realize the expected profit and folded the team after only two seasons in Quebec.

-You had an AHL TEAM Quebec Citadelles Quebec City 1999–2002 what is that 3 years

Okay so you type up some gibberish in your first paragraph, if you want to call it that. Then you copy and paste the second paragraph from god knows where. And then to top it off you basically just summarize your first paragraph nonsense. AHL... how is that even relevant? Those teams fold all the time.

Look I'm not saying Quebec should be the frontrunners to grab a team like ATL if they were to move, I'm just... well could you just please refrain from writing on an internet forum again. Cheers.

Reality Check 12-11-2010 04:42 AM

What a D-bag move

They might want to cut off alcohol earlier than usual. As this could get ugly.

But I won't feel sorry if those "friendly prostesters" just happened to be pelted with batteries and showered with a few beverages.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.