HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Too much pressure on doughty (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=852454)

kingdoughty 12-12-2010 04:07 PM

Too much pressure on doughty

Doughty has been trying way too hard and his game is not looking very fluid. He needs to start having more fun out there like he did his first years

sweatypickle 12-12-2010 04:08 PM

fat...

Sydor25 12-12-2010 04:10 PM

...out of shape...

Mattias 12-12-2010 04:10 PM

...went to his head...

Cruel11 12-12-2010 04:10 PM

The hype went to his head.

Shellz 12-12-2010 04:11 PM

It's fun to speculate.

DAkings20 12-12-2010 04:14 PM

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...enaltycopy.jpg

Alternate Jersey 12-12-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 29525158)
It's fun to speculate.

hahahaah, my thoughts exactly. but every time i think about that, then i get into this circular logic where i just end up asking, "what's the point of the boards if not to speculate?"

then i remember one of the reasons why i'm here in the first place. procrastination. :laugh:

DIEHARD the King fan 12-12-2010 04:25 PM

Puck U 12-12-2010 04:40 PM

Doughty is the next Olli Jokinen ... errrrrrr I mean Aki Berg :sarcasm: ;)

How soon before some ********* makes that thread ?

sweatypickle 12-12-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 29525158)
It's fun to speculate.

who's speculating?..

redcard 12-12-2010 04:42 PM

He's fine, once he figures out how to balance the physical game he's playing now with the skills and fundamentals that he's shown he's capable of he'll be a very complete, outstanding d-man.

outofrange 12-12-2010 04:54 PM

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/...m66/drew-3.jpg

(recent pic)

It's probably all the extra fat he is carrying. :sarcasm:

It's a combo of poor conditioning, not having adapted to how he is being played, and media attention.

I'm getting tired of this for real, though. I wish the real thing shows up sooner rather than later....

WhatTheFox 12-12-2010 05:16 PM

Let's be real here. It's the extra facial hair.

Brad Doty 12-12-2010 05:28 PM

Sorry, I don't buy pressure as an excuse. This is a guy who's performed at his best on the big stage (playoffs, olympics). Out of the myriad speculative reasons, I doubt this one the most.

Ziggy Stardust 12-12-2010 05:45 PM

We all have high expectations from the youngest players on the team, and seeing how they are the best and most talented players on the roster, it is expected. I don't think Doughty suddenly forgot how to play hockey and lost his abilities. The claims of him being overweight is wild speculation thus far. I would think there may be some lingering effects that he has still yet to overcome from the concussion.

It happens to every player returning from a concussion. Just look at some examples: Simon Gagne, Marc Savard, Jason Pominville, David Booth, etc. When they returned, they weren't exactly producing like they were prior to their concussions. It might take him longer to truly recover 100%, and any head/neurological related injuries is something you don't want to mess with (as we found out first hand with Deadmarsh and Allison).

Bandit 12-12-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 29526692)
We all have high expectations from the youngest players on the team, and seeing how they are the best and most talented players on the roster, it is expected. I don't think Doughty suddenly forgot how to play hockey and lost his abilities. The claims of him being overweight is wild speculation thus far. I would think there may be some lingering effects that he has still yet to overcome from the concussion.

It happens to every player returning from a concussion. Just look at some examples: Simon Gagne, Marc Savard, Jason Pominville, David Booth, etc. When they returned, they weren't exactly producing like they were prior to their concussions. It might take him longer to truly recover 100%, and any head/neurological related injuries is something you don't want to mess with (as we found out first hand with Deadmarsh and Allison).

I keep seeing people say this as if his bad play started with his concussion and not from day 1 of the preseason. I'm sure the concussion didn't help, but he was pretty terrible even before he got his eggs scrambled.

sweatypickle 12-12-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 29526692)

overweight... yes... out of shape... no

no name 12-12-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 29527197)
I keep seeing people say this as if his bad play started with his concussion and not from day 1 of the preseason. I'm sure the concussion didn't help, but he was pretty terrible even before he got his eggs scrambled.

He seemed to have lost something after he came back from the olympics last year.

xavi4life 12-12-2010 08:26 PM

He's getting too much poon tang and he's lost the fire. And he is the next Olli Jokinen.

nocturn 12-12-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingme00 (Post 29526211)
Let's be real here. It's the extra facial hair.

Lol. Between that less-stache and the moptop, I hope he isnt morphing into LiL Westie.

JT Dutch* 12-12-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingdoughty (Post 29525082)
Doughty has been trying way too hard and his game is not looking very fluid. He needs to start having more fun out there like he did his first years

... It's more like fans live to complain, love to exaggerate, and don't want to understand that teams are playing Drew tougher. In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, etc.

bland 12-12-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 29531574)
... It's more like fans live to complain, love to exaggerate, and don't want to understand that teams are playing Drew tougher. In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, etc.

I disagree. Some of us where noting his lazier approach even back in camp against kids that may never see NHL regular season ice.

Doughty had a terrible camp and hasn't really caught his stride yet. I don't know if it is his weight, and I wouldn't blame the concussion because he played in the same manner prior to that hit.

All I know is that his decision making and foot speed are a lot, lot slower this season than before. He's getting out muscled and hustled on most shifts, so naturally his effort is the first, and easiest, thing to question.

taz346 12-12-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN14 (Post 29526395)
Sorry, I don't buy pressure as an excuse. This is a guy who's performed at his best on the big stage (playoffs, olympics). Out of the myriad speculative reasons, I doubt this one the most.

Checked out Kovi lately?

Lanius 12-13-2010 12:02 AM

Doughty is playing himself back into that higher level over the last few games, so I ain't worried.

Logging big minutes, opposition has a gameplan for him, showing up to camp in average condition, combine that with the unfortunate concussion and you'll get Drew Doughty right now. His conditioning has always been questioned going back 4-5 years, yet he has always played himself back to elite level.

The production isn't there because the Kings' offense has been lacking, especially the powerplay. You can sense a bit of discomfort and hesitation on the ice. It's possible DD is taken aback at how differently teams are pressuring him, which would lead to many rushed/forced decision making.