HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Prospect Info: WJC U20: Dec 26-Jan 5 - Focus on Washington Capitals' Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=852487)

sk84fun_dc 12-12-2010 07:04 PM

WJC U20: Dec 26-Jan 5 - Focus on Washington Capitals' Prospects

Tournament website

Hockey Canada WJC site

USA Hockey WJC site

IIHF WJC U20 site

twitter
/2011IIHFWorldJr
/HC_TeamCanada
/USAHockey

Caps Prospects on Camp/Tryout Camp Rosters

Eakin (91) - Canada
Grubauer (91) - Germany
Galiev (92) - Russia
Kuznetsov (92) - Russia
Orlov (91) - Russia
Wey (91) - USA

- A player with 1991 or later birthyear is eligible for the U20 WJCs

- Kuznetsov and Orlov played for Russia last year

- Grubauer played for Germany the last 2 years (09-10 Div1; 08-09)

sk84fun_dc 12-12-2010 07:13 PM

Canada/Eakin

With Hockey Canada's camp in progress and the first red/white scrimmage, I thought it was time for a stand-alone thread about the WJCs.

Eakin is on Team White, lines for the scrimmage:

Bournival-Couturier-Kassian
Howden-Johansen-Leblanc
Hishon-Vey-Eakin
Ross-Cizikas-Gallagher

see twitter.com/HC_TeamCanada (Hockey Canada twitter)

USA/Wey

Wey is 1 of 29 players invited to the camp, players report 12/16 in Albany, NY; Pre-tournament camp begins Friday, Dec. 17, in New York. Boston College's next game is 12/30 so no more games before the USA Hockey camp opens on Friday. The final U.S. National Junior Team 22-man roster will be announced prior to Team USA's final exhibition game against Norway.

"Team USA's training camp will take place in Troy, Rochester and Amherst, N.Y., Dec. 17-23, and will include pre-tournament games against the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute men's ice hockey team Dec. 19, the Czech Republic on Dec. 21 and Norway on Dec. 23."

Wey is one of 10 dmen on the preliminary roster.

Germany/Grubauer

"Grubauer...play his final game of 2010 with Kingston on Dec. 17 against the visiting Belleville Bulls. He will depart right after that to join Team Germany for the world junior championship in Buffalo."

"I am playing my last year and we want to have a great tournament to stay in the A pool," Grubauer said.

source: link

Russia/Galiev/Orlov

Galiev and the other CHL prospects: expected to join the team on Dec. 19 when arrive in the United States. Final roster source; Russia plays a pre-tournament game against Slovakia on 12/23

sk84fun_dc 12-12-2010 07:35 PM

Television Information

See the Thread about televising in the WJC section for additional information.

All elimination games will be broadcast on NHL Network-U.S. Not clear if that is Team USA only or all games from the write=up, but I assume good chance they show all of them. NHL Network carrying some of the preliminary round games, assume the TSN broadcast based on information available. US link and NHL Network TV Listings

NHL Network US and TSN/TSN2 Canada

Sunday, December 26
4:00 PM Russia vs. Canada
8:00 PM Finland vs. USA (TSN2 7:30)

Tuesday, December 28
4:00 PM Canada vs. Czech Republic
8:00 PM USA vs. Slovakia (TSN2)

Wednesday, December 29
7:30 PM Norway vs. Canada

Thursday, December 30
3:00 PM Sweden vs. Czech Republic
7:00 PM Germany vs. USA

Friday, December 31
4:00 PM Canada vs. Sweden
8:00 PM USA vs. Switzerland

Sunday, January 2, 2011
3:30 PM Quarterfinal # 1
7:30 PM Quarterfinal # 2

TSN Broadcast Schedule in Canada:

Monday, January 3
Semi-Final 1 3:30pm TSN
Semi-Final 2 7:30pm TSN

Wednesday, January 5
Bronze Medal Game 3:30pm TSN
Gold Medal Game 7:30pm TSN

Langway 12-12-2010 07:58 PM

Thanks.

NHL Network has a partial listing of their coverage (up until 1/2). It'll be the TSN feed for the non-USA games one would think.

sk84fun_dc 12-12-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langway (Post 29528284)
Thanks.

NHL Network has a partial listing of their coverage (up until 1/2). It'll be the TSN feed for the non-USA games one would think.

Thanks for the link; I was going to take a look and see what they had listed and compare to the TSN list. The schedule matches, except for 1 game slightly different start time, which I assume is pregame stuff.

sk84fun_dc 12-13-2010 08:50 PM

Red White Scrimmage 2:

Team White wins 7-5

Eakin on Team White playing with Howden and Cizikas

Eakin scores a goal (the team's 4th) and an assist on the GWG by Cizikas

1) 0:55 RED Jaden Schwartz (Brett Connolly, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins)
1) 05:10 RED Curtis Hamilton (Marcus Foligno, Riley Sheahan)
1) 18:46 WHT Ryan Johansen (Ryan Murphy, Braydon McNabb) PP/AN
2) 0:51 WHT Zack Kassian (Ryan Ellis)
2) 09:57 WHT Brendan Gallagher (Quinton Howden, Linden Vey)
3) 07:55 WHT Cody Eakin (Quinton Howden, Casey Cizikas)
3) 08:26 RED Ryan Howse (Garrett Wilson, Calvin DeHaan)
3) 09:11 RED Reilly Smith (Jesse Blacker)
3) 09:32 WHT Jared Cowen (Erik Gudbranson, Calvin Pickard)
3) 12:05 RED Carter Ashton (Tyson Barrie, Brandon Pirri)
3) 14:30 WHT Casey Cizikas (Cody Eakin, Quinton Howden)
3) 19:50 WHT Linden Vey

Ovechkins Wodka 12-13-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc (Post 29548442)
Red White Scrimmage 2:
Eakin on Team White playing with Howden and Cizikas; Eakin scores a goal, game in progress

Nice! i hope Eakin can get on team canada.

Random question. But i cant remember if Mike Green made team canada for his WJC year.

sk84fun_dc 12-13-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 29548698)
Nice! i hope Eakin can get on team canada.

Random question. But i cant remember if Mike Green made team canada for his WJC year.

No, Green was invited to the selection camp, but did not make the '05 team; Fehr and Green were both cut from the camp. The D on the team included Weber, Seabrook, Phaneuf, Coburn, among others.

Ovechkins Wodka 12-13-2010 09:31 PM

the 05 tournament was loaded with talent. Ovie. Malkin, Crosby, Richards...

Semin 12-13-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 29549610)
the 05 tournament was loaded with talent. Ovie. Malkin, Crosby, Richards...

Getzlaf, Carter, Jeff Glass, Corey Perry, Kessel, bobby ryan, louis eriksson.

Edit, Ryan didn't play in 05 WJC

sk84fun_dc 12-14-2010 07:43 AM

TSN's Ryan Rishaug reports from Canada's camp: "9 cuts total, 9 remain. 7 forwards and 2 defencemen cut. 4 forwards left to cut, 3 defencemen, 2 goalies assuming they go 7-13."

Cuts: Vey, Hishon, McNabb, Ross, Blacker, G Wilson, R Smith, Howse, Gallagher

sk84fun_dc 12-14-2010 08:35 PM

Canada/Eakin updates:

Canada CIS scrimmage: Eakin with the 2nd goal, early in the 2nd

Also, along with the WHL player of the week honors, Eakin was named CHL player of the week. link

XDC-RES 12-14-2010 09:04 PM

Excited to see all of our prospects. This tournament is one of my favourite things all year long. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how Eakin does on the big stage.

sk84fun_dc 12-15-2010 07:14 AM

Final cuts for Canada were just announced. Different news than last year, Eakin made the team.

McKenzie and Rishaaug report:

G: Visentin and Roy

D: Ellis, de Haan, Cowen, Olsen, Gudbranson, Despres, Barrie

F: Schenn, Johansen, Couturier, Cizikas, Howden, Kassian, Leblanc, Ashton, Connolly, Eakin, Foligno, Hamilton, Schwartz

Marshall 12-15-2010 09:22 AM

Congrats to Eakin. Maybe not a shock, but glad to see it.

RandyHolt 12-15-2010 09:31 AM

It's amazing; the power of a single goal. Not that Eakin didnt deserve it in any way, but after hearing he scored, I figured he was a lock. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to jinx him.

That said, he may be hard pressed to top the high bar that Carlson set last year. But he impressed me in camp and hope he impresses everyone there.

sk84fun_dc 12-15-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 29579555)
It's amazing; the power of a single goal. Not that Eakin didnt deserve it in any way, but after hearing he scored, I figured he was a lock. I didn't say anything at the time because I didn't want to jinx him.

That said, he may be hard pressed to top the high bar that Carlson set last year. But he impressed me in camp and hope he impresses everyone there.

He didn't make the team because of one goal and he actually scored in 2 games and had an assist. IMO, Eakin made the team because he's versatile, being able to play top 6 or bottom 6, wing or center, has shown chemistry with some of the other players, can play on both special teams, and contributes in the leadership department. The key for him in this camp was showing that he was healthy given his injuries to start the WHL season. Of note, Cizikas who is battling an injury and sat out the last game, made the team.

Marshall 12-15-2010 09:45 AM

Not exactly WJC-related, but has Eakin played center for the Broncos or wing? I seem to recall he was a C in camp, but I'm not sure. (And it seems his use on the wing for the WJC team is indicative of Canada's depth down the middle.)

sk84fun_dc 12-15-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 29579672)
Not exactly WJC-related, but has Eaking played center for the Broncos or wing? I seem to recall he was a C in camp, but I'm not sure. (And it seems his use on the wing for the WJC team is indicative of Canada's depth down the middle.)

Yes, Canada has depth down the middle and has a few centers slotted in at wing. In the SC games I have been able to follow, Eakin has played center for SC. IIRC, he may have played on the wing for a game or two when he was battling the hip injury, but don't quote me on that as he has primarily played center for SC this season.

For some recent interviews with Eakin, check out this SC blog by Shawn Mullin's.

Drake1588 12-15-2010 09:53 AM

I love and I hate this tournament.

sk84fun_dc 12-15-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588 (Post 29579778)
I love and I hate this tournament.

FYI, tickets are still available - they released single game tickets for sale on Saturday. Day passes also available. There's also an active resale market as people bought packages and are selling games.

BWI to BUF depending on the day on Southwest isn't outrageously expensive and it's drivable, too, depending on the weather.

Just saying :D

Marshall 12-15-2010 10:12 AM

Thanks, sk8.

Caps Crazy 12-15-2010 10:14 AM

sk84fun_dc...as usual great work and information on the kids fighting for WJC roster posts and glory!

Wey is a USA longshot by every single account and article I have found. Doesn't have the statistics to warrant a roster spot on the final 10 defensemen on a potent USA roster. Anything you read discounts him as a candidate to make the roster immediately.

I keep saying that there is a reason he is there, and firmly believe he has a legitimate shot of securing one of the seven defensive spots. As is always the case, he will not likely show up in the scoring line but his poise under pressure, minutes played, +/-, BLOCKED SHOTS, and HITS are something much needed to round out the USA roster.

It would be great to see him on a world stage and his selection would surprise most but not me. He looked formidable against Boston University the two games I watched.

Best to all future Caps, I heard Eakin was terrific and adds great versitility to a very solid Canadian roster. Big concerns for Team Canada across the border seems to be goal scoring potential. Cody will not disappoint and should be poised for a very successful WJC. I would not be surprised to see him wearing a letter on his sweater.

RandyHolt 12-15-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc (Post 29579610)
He didn't make the team because of one goal and he actually scored in 2 games and had an assist. IMO, Eakin made the team because he's versatile, being able to play top 6 or bottom 6, wing or center, has shown chemistry with some of the other players, can play on both special teams, and contributes in the leadership department. The key for him in this camp was showing that he was healthy given his injuries to start the WHL season. Of note, Cizikas who is battling an injury and sat out the last game, made the team.

Thanks for basically correctly me / expanding on Eakin's game. I still do feel that scoring a goal is an obvious way to wow a coach. Multiple goals (I missed he had 2G) in very limited number of scrimmages certainly increases the odds of surviving the final cut. If not, the team is largely determined before that. But he is indeed versatile and that may have been key for him to make it. Cizikas scored a goal himself which at least to me probably helped his chances.

Langway 12-16-2010 12:49 PM

dshoalts: First edition of top three lines for Canadian world jr team: Schwartz-Schenn-Leblanc; Foligno-Couturier-Kassian; Eakin-Johansen-Connolly.

Eakin's line seems more like the second line with Couturier's a big checking line of sorts. Eakin centered Connolly in the one Super Series game.