HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   OT: Calgary in February. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=852919)

Skobel24 12-13-2010 10:48 PM

Calgary in February.

Heading down for the Winter Classic game, will be there for a few days. Looking for things to do during that time, any suggestions? Second time in Calgary for years, don't really know what there is to see.

GoFlames 12-13-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel55 (Post 29552165)
Heading down for the Winter Classic game, will be there for a few days. Looking for things to do during that time, any suggestions? Second time in Calgary for years, don't really know what there is to see.

Quite possibly a lot of snow... :naughty:

Skobel24 12-13-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFlames (Post 29552830)

mostly meant any recommended restaurants? ect

fischy13 12-14-2010 12:03 AM

I recommend the Speak Easy, a division of the French Maid :naughty: which is down by the Chinook Mall, also has the restaurants like the Keg and Moxies near by.

WhereIsIt 12-14-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFlames (Post 29552830)

Dirty urban snow! Wooooo! :yo:

sem1 12-14-2010 02:17 AM

check out a flames game at flame central whenever they play before that and head to any of the fine restaraunts on stephen ave after. milestones is pretty awesome. ive always found the clubs in calgary to suck. amsterdamn rhino is a pretty decent one. not sure if they still do it, but on saturdays they have hip hop upstairs and house/techno downstairs.

Flames Fanatic 12-14-2010 02:26 AM

Do yourself a favor if you've got time to go out to Banff. So beautiful in the winter. I miss it :'(

Skobel24 12-14-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic (Post 29556661)
Do yourself a favor if you've got time to go out to Banff. So beautiful in the winter. I miss it :'(

YES! Thank you!

Signature 12-14-2010 04:13 AM

Skobs, how much you looking to spend on a restaurant?

I recommend the Saltlik downtown (good steak house), but as a result it's a little pricey... if you want to stick around the downtown core I suggest you wander around Stephen Avenue (Saltlik is also on Stephen Ave, easy to spot because of the big metal horse statue)
And of course there's a newly renovated mall in downtown Calgary called TD Square. It'S ALSO on Stephen Avenue.
If you're a beer and wings kind of guy, I suggest visiting a place called the Hose n Hound... but that's NOT on Stephen Ave.

And last but not least on Stephen Avenue is the Flames Central bar/club, basically an official Flames-sponsored sports bar.

So lots to do in one area.

In the downtown area there's Chinatown a couple blocks north of Stephen Avenue area, and to the west of Chinatown there's a place called Eau Claire Market, basically it has some more 'cultural' stores (think European mostly).
North of that area is an area called Kensington, full of pubs and another "cultural" area, but more like... artsy sort of stuff.

Otherwise... there's Canada Olympic Park for a cheap ski hill... uhh... Banff is good for out of town.

jtommyt 12-14-2010 10:59 AM

It all depends where you're going to be spending your time. Are you going to be downtown, or outside of the core? How much do you want to spend on food? Are you here long enough to make a trip into the mountains? Are you looking for fine dining or more of a casual environment?

:laugh: Sorry. That's a ton of questions. The more you let us know though, the better our advice will be.