HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wild Draft Prediction Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=85299)

Wild Bill 06-21-2004 01:36 AM

Wild Draft Prediction Thread

Alright, less then a week away and I wanna hear who everyone thinks we're gonna take with our first round pick. Not necessarily who we should take, but who you think DR and company will take. Also, league-wide draft predictions and trades are welcome too.

I'm gonna say...*drum roll*...

C Robbie Schremp

I also predict Chicago is gonna move out of the 3 spot. Maybe up (unlikely), but probably down.

There, I said it! :toothless

What do you guys think?

D.Legwand 06-21-2004 02:03 AM

I like that call. :bow:

I don't know why but I don't want them to draft Picard. I would be one happy man come Saturday if either Schremp or Radulov get selected by the Wild.

I will say Radulov since I beleive Robbie will be gone.

GaborikRules10!!! 06-21-2004 03:47 PM

Im gonna go Stafford, but I would happy with Schremp, Thelen or Radulov too.
Just dont draft a goalie!

ceber 06-21-2004 05:07 PM

I think it's as tough to predict who will be available than who we'll take.

I'll guess that Stafford's available and we take him.

theo6060 06-21-2004 06:06 PM

My money's on Alexandre Picard.

firstroundbust 06-21-2004 06:19 PM

thelen
wolski
stafford

those are my hunches...and I bet they trade a couple of their picks, if not a player or two for another early pick

Kristofer 06-21-2004 08:03 PM

I'm with Theo, I also say Picard.

NyCoN 06-22-2004 06:25 AM

I'm thinking they are looking for a PP quarterback..I'm going to say A.J. Thelen. :dunno:

glenjackson 06-22-2004 10:12 AM

Someone should make this a poll :)

I keep getting the feeling they're going to do something completely unpredictable. But I'd still go with:
1. Thelen
2. Wolski
3. Stafford
4. Smid/Meszaros
5. Schremp
6. Montoya/Schwarz

in order of likelyhood and depending on availability

If they take Valabik or Wheeler or something, then I won't get it but you never know.

Edited cause I forgot about the two-way defensemen. So many choices.

Just Joshin' 06-23-2004 02:30 AM

I'd think it would be great if the Wild were able to get Schremp at #12. The Wild need more scoring forwards and Schremp would be an ideal fit for them. The Sporting News claimed Schremp was the "most gifted offensive player behind Ovechkin..."

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2487576

Wild Bill 06-23-2004 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Joshin'
I'd think it would be great if the Wild were able to get Schremp at #12.

I think if he fell to 12, it would be a godsend, but I have a weird feeling we could see Riser move up to maybe #7 or #9 to make this happen, depending on how they fall, of course. His offensive skills alone should have him in the top 5 and his fall out of favor should be looked at as a window of opportunity for this young, needy club to add a pure "O"-guy.

MN_Gopher 06-23-2004 04:02 PM

Well its more of a wish list.

A.J Thelen or Drew Stafford in the first. Like both players, local, and i will be able to watch them play.

Blake Wheeler or Travis Zajac in the second. Both scoring forwards with great hands.

Kris Chucko: All i have heard about the guy is positive. Leader, defesivly responsable, goes into corners, throws weight around and can score. Saw him compared to a better skating Grant Potulny.

Wes Oneil: If he falls to much. I'd like him. So what if his hockey sense is sub par according to some. He has size and talent and we have the best teacher in hockey.

Yes i do like NCAA guys, those are the only guys i see and really read about. And i do not like the fact that if we take a junior and he has surpassed his junior team we have to gurantee him a spot in the big show. I would have liked to have drafted Stuart last year, let him play college and have seen what Veillieux, Wallin or Wanvig could've done.

Jbcraig1883 06-23-2004 07:00 PM

I would love to see Andrew Ladd or Stafford. Personally, I want Thelen or Meszaros. But I feel they are going to go with Radulov or Picard because of the risk. Either its a great offense minded player or a bust. My crazy prediction would be for them to choose Bruce Graham( 6'6 220), which is this years Brent Burns. In the second, I am hoping for Wheeler or a Swede named Johannes Salmonsson. Two defenseman look nice as well in the second- Mark Fistric who is supposed to be the most physical player behind Valabik, and Andy Rogers who seems to be a big late blooming defenseman who will just be turning 18 in August (happens to share it with Nick Schultz). If by some chance God is smiling upon us(This guy should be gone in the last 10 picks in the first round), I would love to have Mike Green, if and only if we don't pick Thelen or Smid, or whatever D man in the first. In the third round i am hoping for Dmitri Vorobiev who is a defenseman and Magnus Akerlund or Justin Pogge who are both Goalies.

Just Joshin' 06-23-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
His offensive skills alone should have him in the top 5 and his fall out of favor should be looked at as a window of opportunity for this young, needy club to add a pure "O"-guy.

That's exactly what the Wild need, a "pure O-guy." They have enough two-way forwards in the organization, and what they need are more offensively talented forwards to complement the few they have. The Wild had 20 ties last year. That tells me that they have the goaltending and overall team defense to keep them in a game, but lack the offense that can get them the wins. Schremp would be a great pickup for the Wild.

rubicon 06-24-2004 09:27 PM

I'd like to see them trade for a pair of picks later on in the 1st, but from where they are picking a LW like Samulson or Kipolski, or a Dman like O'Niel or Fransson in the first. I think the RW from Kazkstan in the second and a golie like Ellis or Aukerland in the third because they are both sleepers. Although my dream is to trade up and Turkonen. I know my speling sucks...

jt2004 06-25-2004 10:26 AM

I'm thinking they may try to move up a couple of spots and nab somebody at #7 especially if say Tukonen gets to the Florida spot? It's too bad if they had this many extra picks last year they could have moved up a couple of spots and taken Parise.

If they stay at #12 I will still say they surprise everybody and take Zajac although my preference is Alex Picard.

glenjackson 06-25-2004 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt2004
I'm thinking they may try to move up a couple of spots and nab somebody at #7 especially if say Tukonen gets to the Florida spot? It's too bad if they had this many extra picks last year they could have moved up a couple of spots and taken Parise.

If they stay at #12 I will still say they surprise everybody and take Zajac although my preference is Alex Picard.

Bob McKenzie (first) and then the Redline guy have been saying that about Zajac this week. I think I read that McKenzie has a good relationship with DR, so you never know, he might have the inside scoop.

thestonedkoala 06-25-2004 12:56 PM

*starts creating DR dolls to burn in effidgy if they draft Zajac in the first round*

ceber 06-25-2004 02:09 PM

Although Wild general manager Doug Risebrough could overrule Saturday's top NHL draft choice by scouting director Tommy Thompson, Risebrough never has second-guessed one of Thompson's first-round picks.

(From one of shooter's columns... I would guess this is based on a quote somewhere, but I couldn't track it down.)

So, get those Thompson effigies ready! :D

glenjackson 06-25-2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceber
Although Wild general manager Doug Risebrough could overrule Saturday's top NHL draft choice by scouting director Tommy Thompson, Risebrough never has second-guessed one of Thompson's first-round picks.

(From one of shooter's columns... I would guess this is based on a quote somewhere, but I couldn't track it down.)

So, get those Thompson effigies ready! :D

Exactly. And in that movie thing you posted the other day DR said the same thing about TT. So really, it's more about what Tommy T wants I guess.

ceber 06-25-2004 07:14 PM

What's the story with Zajac, anyway? Talented guy, but played in a "lesser" league at an older age?

Schlep Rock 06-25-2004 10:10 PM

The Wild should take a late round flyer on local boy Sean Garrity...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=86459

D.Legwand 06-25-2004 10:11 PM

So he can play at North Dakota next year. Had he played A or major junior or w/e you want to call it he would have been inelegible.

Schlep Rock 06-25-2004 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Legwand
So he can play at North Dakota next year. Had he played A or major junior or w/e you want to call it he would have been inelegible.

What/Who are you referring to?

DW 06-25-2004 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
What/Who are you referring to?

Zajac. He would have lost his college eligibilty if he would have played in juniors.