HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Winnwell pro480 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=853262)

adaminnj 12-14-2010 09:21 PM

Winnwell pro480
 
I just picked up a Winnwell pro480 today and I'll be giving it a shot (no pun intended and I'm not sure if I would call what I do with a stick and a puck taking a shot)

from the time I bought it for $99.00 CAD the stick is way lighter than any other 100 dollar sticks I have or have picked up at 490 Grams. it's a Reg flex 87 and it's like a Crosby curve and lie 6.

That is all I have for now I'll be skating soon and I'l post more as well as get some opinions from friends who are good hockey players.

canuck44 12-14-2010 09:49 PM

From crappy tire?

adaminnj 12-14-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck44 (Post 29574007)
From crappy tire?

Yep like the only Winnwell retailer on the face of the earth.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

canuck44 12-14-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 29574078)
Yep like the only Winnwell retailer on the face of the earth.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Is winnwell owned by CT?

ponder 12-14-2010 11:42 PM

Foam core blade? Straight or concave walls on the shaft?

Blueland89 12-15-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 29574078)
Yep like the only Winnwell retailer on the face of the earth.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I bought my Winnwell gloves from Hockeyworld and love them. Onlydown side to them is I wish i had a little bit more wrist movement but really not a big enough deal they work great. the have plastic inserts all through the top of the hand, through all fingers,the thumb, and on the inside of the hand in between index finger and thumb.

I have been wanting to try one of there sticks let me know how it works out

Acew61 12-15-2010 09:41 AM

A guy who works at Perani's in Rochester told me that Winnwells are just repainted major stick brands. Blemished paint, slightly dinged up or whatever and couldn't be sold so they refurb them and drop the price.

Blueland89 12-15-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 29576724)
Foam core blade? Straight or concave walls on the shaft?

I just tried looking it up on a couple of sites and none of them say that it has concave walls so I would imagine thier probabley straight

Blueland89 12-15-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acew61 (Post 29580371)
A guy who works at Perani's in Rochester told me that Winnwells are just repainted major stick brands. Blemished paint, slightly dinged up or whatever and couldn't be sold so they refurb them and drop the price.

I've heard the same thing

adaminnj 12-15-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acew61 (Post 29580371)
A guy who works at Perani's in Rochester told me that Winnwells are just repainted major stick brands. Blemished paint, slightly dinged up or whatever and couldn't be sold so they refurb them and drop the price.

That guy has a blemished and slightly dinged up brain. Or he just has a chip on his shoulders for Canadian hockey.

The pro480 is 100% graphite. 100% new construction.

adaminnj 12-15-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueland89 (Post 29580388)
I just tried looking it up on a couple of sites and none of them say that it has concave walls so I would imagine thier probabley straight

convex shaft: Yes
hollow shaft: Yes
foam core blade: I think so from the feel

the blade is PS#119

adaminnj 12-15-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueland89 (Post 29580355)
I bought my Winnwell gloves from Hockeyworld and love them. Onlydown side to them is I wish i had a little bit more wrist movement but really not a big enough deal they work great. the have plastic inserts all through the top of the hand, through all fingers,the thumb, and on the inside of the hand in between index finger and thumb.

I have been wanting to try one of there sticks let me know how it works out

I've been wanting some winnwell prostock gloves but they are like model-Ts you can have any color you like as long as it's black

adaminnj 12-15-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck44 (Post 29574839)
Is winnwell owned by CT?

Not sure but it seems like it because you will find a few stores that will carry a few winnwell products Crapy tire has the whole line of winnwell products.

and on the website that is being redeveloped they have a link to CT http://winnwellcleanhockey.ca/

Acew61 12-15-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 29584272)
That guy has a blemished and slightly dinged up brain. Or he just has a chip on his shoulders for Canadian hockey.

The pro480 is 100% graphite. 100% new construction.

I think the company that owns the WinnWell brand would know better than you. In 2008 Perani's bought the WinnWell brand. Latest info I could find on it. Drop the attitude.

And repainted doesn't change the construction of the stick one bit. It can be 100% new; they just had to repaint it because something happened when the graphics were applied, etc. It's a perfectly good stick and for the price likely an absolute steal.

If they've been bought out since then (perhaps by Canadian Tire?) then this could all be old news. This is just what I was told by the company that owned the brand at the time.

adaminnj 12-15-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acew61 (Post 29585735)
I think the company that owns the WinnWell brand would know better than you. In 2008 Perani's bought the WinnWell brand. Latest info I could find on it. Drop the attitude.

And repainted doesn't change the construction of the stick one bit. It can be 100% new; they just had to repaint it because something happened when the graphics were applied, etc. It's a perfectly good stick and for the price likely an absolute steal.

If they've been bought out since then (perhaps by Canadian Tire?) then this could all be old news. This is just what I was told by the company that owned the brand at the time.

The repainted sticks from major brands thing cant make any sense it would limit the ability of maintaining stock right from the start. I may be wrong but it sounds a bit fishy that a company that supplies hockey equipment to a major retailer in Canada would count on bad stick production by other companies to stock shelfs.

as well Perani's website doesn't even have winnwell sticks for sale.

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...lText=winnwell

The pro480 looks like it is a new stick all together.

HowToHockey 12-15-2010 09:58 PM

I have the Winnwell gx-8 it was $99, super light and feels like a stick at a $175 price point. I haven't used it yet, but I just broke my 3.0.3 so I will be playing with the GX-8 now, I will get a video review up for you guys.

ponder 12-16-2010 12:56 PM

Did a bit of poking around:
a) Winnwell was bought by Perani's as they were basically going out of business, seems unclear as to whether or not they're still producing any new products or just selling off existing stock before folding completely
b) A lot of their sticks were Innos painted differently, same as how Bauer XX and XXX sticks were Innos. Innovative became Warrior, so some Winnwells are more or less the same as the old Bauer XX/XXX or Warrior Dolos/Mac Daddys.

adaminnj 12-16-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 29608538)
Did a bit of poking around:
a) Winnwell was bought by Perani's as they were basically going out of business, seems unclear as to whether or not they're still producing any new products or just selling off existing stock before folding completely
b) A lot of their sticks were Innos painted differently, same as how Bauer XX and XXX sticks were Innos. Innovative became Warrior, so some Winnwells are more or less the same as the old Bauer XX/XXX or Warrior Dolos/Mac Daddys.

Cool, great info. In the quick search I did all I found was rumors on hockey msg boards..

adaminnj 12-16-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowToHockey (Post 29599188)
I have the Winnwell gx-8 it was $99, super light and feels like a stick at a $175 price point. I haven't used it yet, but I just broke my 3.0.3 so I will be playing with the GX-8 now, I will get a video review up for you guys.

Great I cant to read and or watch! I love your posts. My write up is gona be more like a drunk truck driver wrote it up. But I'll give all the opinions I have or get from friends.

adaminnj 12-18-2010 04:13 PM

I used and showed the pro480 at last nights game and everyone including me was completely impresses.
Not only is the stick selling for $99.99 CAD the better players where comparing the 480 to the RBK 11K.

The stick loaded fast and easy, shots where right on the money. more to come,,,

HowToHockey 12-19-2010 04:29 PM

This should clear everything up
This is straight from Winnwell, I emailed them and they got back to me within an hour :D

Winnwell is not owned by Canadian Tire. Perani's had a stake in the
business when it was purchased from Irwin Toys back in 2002, however
that stake no longer exists and the company is privately owned by a
family in Toronto.

Our sticks are definitely not constructed by painting over competitors
sticks (absurd claim). We use a number of manufacturers overseas to
construct our composite sticks and one domestic manufacturer in Quebec
that handles our wood and custom/NHL business.

Most of our composite shafts in the market use a single concave mould,
however there are probably some older sticks of ours in the market
with a more boxy design. As for the product specific comments
regarding our Pro480 and GX8 models, these are very similar in
construction. The Pro480 is a SMU (special makeup) for Canadian Tire
while the GX8 is part of our catalogue line. Both models are
constructed using 100% graphite which achieves the sub 500g weight,
but the GX8 has a slightly more high end skin surface than the Pro480
(True 12K instead of Folded 12K). In either case the value that these
sticks offer cannot be matched in the marketplace. Nobody is selling a
sub 500g product under $100.

Our new website will launch before the end of December with most of
our 2011 products available to view along with a newsletter signup and
a store locator in case anybody wants to find our products outside of
Canadian Tire.

adaminnj 12-19-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowToHockey (Post 29667790)
This should clear everything up
This is straight from Winnwell, I emailed them and they got back to me within an hour :D

Winnwell is not owned by Canadian Tire. Perani's had a stake in the
business when it was purchased from Irwin Toys back in 2002, however
that stake no longer exists and the company is privately owned by a
family in Toronto.

Our sticks are definitely not constructed by painting over competitors
sticks (absurd claim). We use a number of manufacturers overseas to
construct our composite sticks and one domestic manufacturer in Quebec
that handles our wood and custom/NHL business.

Most of our composite shafts in the market use a single concave mould,
however there are probably some older sticks of ours in the market
with a more boxy design. As for the product specific comments
regarding our Pro480 and GX8 models, these are very similar in
construction. The Pro480 is a SMU (special makeup) for Canadian Tire
while the GX8 is part of our catalogue line. Both models are
constructed using 100% graphite which achieves the sub 500g weight,
but the GX8 has a slightly more high end skin surface than the Pro480
(True 12K instead of Folded 12K). In either case the value that these
sticks offer cannot be matched in the marketplace. Nobody is selling a
sub 500g product under $100.

Our new website will launch before the end of December with most of
our 2011 products available to view along with a newsletter signup and
a store locator in case anybody wants to find our products outside of
Canadian Tire.

:handclap::yo::handclap:
Great info, great writeup!
:yo::handclap::yo:

adaminnj 12-28-2010 06:16 PM

Ok I used the pro480 again and the biggest advantage I have seen with this stick and patern is that my release is lightning fast mid flex and my back hand is always up fast and hard.

I can't say enough how much I love this stick and I can't wait to get my hands on a GX8.

adaminnj 07-14-2011 07:14 AM

I'm getting the winnwell pro-stock nylon gloves in Red/White/Blue soon YIPEEEEEE!

Still Loving Winnwell! The Products and Company!

Blueland89 07-14-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 29584666)
I've been wanting some winnwell prostock gloves but they are like model-Ts you can have any color you like as long as it's black

mine are black and orange


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.