HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Predators Reassign Steve Begin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=853918)

David Singleton 12-16-2010 11:47 AM

Predators Reassign Steve Begin

Quote from press release:

Quote:

NASHVILLE PREDATORS RECALL FORWARD STEVE BEGIN

Nashville, Tenn. (December 16, 2010) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has recalled forward Steve Begin from Milwaukee (AHL).

Begin, 32 (6/14/78), signed with Nashville on Oct. 21, and has posted four points (3g-1a) in 21 games for the Admirals this season. The Trois-Rivieres, Que., native has played 486 career NHL games since 1997-98, posting 100 points (52g-48a) and 535 penalty minutes. He spent the 2009-10 season with the Boston Bruins, posting 14 points (5g-9a) and 53 penalty minutes while playing a career-high 77 games.

The 6-0, 192-pound center was a teammate of Predators forward J-P Dumont for three seasons (1996-98) with the QMJHL’s Val d’Or Foreurs, notching 117 points (44g-73a) and 520 penalty minutes in 157 games. The duo, along with Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo, helped Val d’Or win the 1998 President’s Trophy as QMJHL champions.

PredsV82 12-16-2010 11:52 AM

*sigh*

so we replace our best scorer with a gritty defensively minded forward....

Seth Lake 12-16-2010 11:55 AM

Well, Steve Begin is the other established NHL veteran that was down in Milwaukee, but I was really hoping he wasn't the recall. Begin is a fourth line, agitating, penalty killing forward.

Our top-six better keep scoring, because the bottom six is now virtually devoid of offensive skill outside of Dumont...

Luck 6 12-16-2010 11:59 AM

Doesnt have to pass through waivers?

Seth Lake 12-16-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 29607506)
Doesnt have to pass through waivers?

Due to his $105k AHL salary, Begin does not have to clear recall waivers.

glenngineer 12-16-2010 01:04 PM

Franson also out for Friday night. Attending his grandfather's funeral in BC. Guess Sulzer is in Friday night against NJ.

WartracePred 12-16-2010 01:23 PM

Sorry SLake. Why doesn't Trotz just play 12 defenseman, 6 forwards, and hope we get to a shoot out. Begin, Smithson, Spaling, Ward, and Tootoo. Now that is a scoring machine. The Predators Way -- gotta love it.

Preds Partisan 12-16-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 29608697)
Franson also out for Friday night. Attending his grandfather's funeral in BC. Guess Sulzer is in Friday night against NJ.

Will miss both Friday and Saturday.

BigFatCat999 12-16-2010 02:11 PM

Here's how I see this.

Hornqvist is replaced by Dumont. Dumont get's top 2 line goal scoring and Begin replaces Dumont on the lower lines. The defense improves while Dumont gets a chance to get top minute playing time.

PredsV82 12-16-2010 02:14 PM

hadnt thought of it that way BFC but you are almost certainly correct.

maybe this will be JPs chance to get out of the doghouse...

glenngineer 12-16-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 29609980)
Here's how I see this.

Hornqvist is replaced by Dumont. Dumont get's top 2 line goal scoring and Begin replaces Dumont on the lower lines. The defense improves while Dumont gets a chance to get top minute playing time.

Problem is Hornqvist and Dumont have been playing on the same line with Spaling so if Begin is here to replace Hornqvist, someone will need to switch lines to accommodate your thinking.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-16-2010 02:34 PM

Well, here's hoping we can win a bunch of 1-0 games while Hornqvist is out.

BigFatCat999 12-16-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 29610030)
hadnt thought of it that way BFC but you are almost certainly correct.

maybe this will be JPs chance to get out of the doghouse...

Now Seth pointed out to me that the top 2 lines are set with SUlly-O'Reilly-Wilson, Erat-Goc-SK, but you have to have that one extra guy to help the others suck wind. With Hornqvist's goals before it would have been him but Dumont would fit the bill better.

The Dumont line was Hornqvist-Spaling-Dumont. But in my mind it could be:

Sully-O'Reilly-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK
Dumont-Spaling-Tootoo
Ward-Smithson-Begin

Not exactly thrilling but you can see two offensive lines and two defensive lines.

BigFatCat999 12-16-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 29610218)
Problem is Hornqvist and Dumont have been playing on the same line with Spaling so if Begin is here to replace Hornqvist, someone will need to switch lines to accommodate your thinking.

To me lines are fluid anyway just because of Trotz. It's a matter of getting the best players at that time the minutes. In the Sharks game Dumont got 12:32 minutes might jump up to 14-15.

The third line is a mismosh of spare parts. The 4th line should look like Ward-Smithson-Begin but that is just a guess.

David Singleton 12-16-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 29610330)
Well, here's hoping we can win a bunch of 1-0 games while Hornqvist is out.

Hornqvist has not been a huge contributor on the scoresheet in EV situations (and one can't count on the Predators PP at this point). The line of Dumont-Spaling-Hornqvist really hasn't clicked that well.

The sad reality is that, outside of a moribund power play, both Hornqvist and Dumont have diminished roles right now as that line doesn't really work. It's amazing that the team's 30 goal scorer from last season has dropped to the fourth most effective line almost through no fault of his own, but that's what happened.

If the Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn line ever needs a shake-up, Hornqvist would work very well on a line with Goc and Kostitsyn. If Legwand comes back to center Dumont and Hornqvist, that line might click very well too. The key for Hornqvist is to find him a line that plays a puck possession style and puts shots on net (like Goc and Kostitsyn). He misses Jason Arnott the most.

BigFatCat999 12-16-2010 03:07 PM

Any word on Legwand?

token grinder 12-16-2010 04:26 PM

leggy is going to try and skate later in the week the online rag said.

and just because we called begin up doesn't mean horn is def out.

horn did take the morning skate, and i would guess he would again and see if his "upper body" can take it. prob best to take begin just in case the weather is awful and they need the body

PredsChik 12-16-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 29612212)
leggy is going to try and skate later in the week the online rag said.

and just because we called begin up doesn't mean horn is def out.

horn did take the morning skate, and i would guess he would again and see if his "upper body" can take it. prob best to take begin just in case the weather is awful and they need the body

Good to hear, a group of Canadian business looking men were sitting in front of us and were talking as if they knew the players (we were in 108), and one of them said "concussion" to which I had a freak out moment. He wouldn't have skated if that had been the case.

They made a good point though, on the SOB in flight goal, he took a hard beating as he scored the goal. I guess something happened then.

101st_fan 12-16-2010 04:45 PM

According to Cooper .... Hornqvist isn't making the trip to NJ.

Seth Lake 12-16-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsChik20 (Post 29612326)
Good to hear, a group of Canadian business looking men were sitting in front of us and were talking as if they knew the players (we were in 108), and one of them said "concussion" to which I had a freak out moment. He wouldn't have skated if that had been the case.

They made a good point though, on the SOB in flight goal, he took a hard beating as he scored the goal. I guess something happened then.

I believe the "in house" or family and friends tickets are in 108.

The word was that as the AM skate went on it was clear that Hornqvist wouldn't be able to play. If he does have a concussion and it was undiagnosed to that point, symptoms could have become evident as his heart rate was elevated and he was moving around the rink skating...

Paranoid Android 12-16-2010 05:44 PM

Sweet, I've been waiting to see what he can still do.

And people seem to be confused. Begin is replacing Belak...

Seth Lake 12-16-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 29613354)
Sweet, I've been waiting to see what he can still do.

And people seem to be confused. Begin is replacing Belak...

In what sense?

Belak was only in the lineup due to the late discovery of Hornqvist's injury. Belak is still on the roster and healthy. If we're having Begin replace Belak then I don't really know why we would be recalling someone to play 1:25 per game.

Begin is being recalled to fill the void left by Hornqvist's injury. By recalling Begin and not recalling Lundmark or signing Mueller to a contract and recalling him, the Predators are making our bottom six a "traditional" bottom six, whereas we have had a shutdown line and a third scoring line making up our bottom six to this point of the year.

Paranoid Android 12-16-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 29613435)
In what sense?

Belak was only in the lineup due to the late discovery of Hornqvist's injury. Belak is still on the roster and healthy. If we're having Begin replace Belak then I don't really know why we would be recalling someone to play 1:25 per game.

Begin is being recalled to fill the void left by Hornqvist's injury. By recalling Begin and not recalling Lundmark or signing Mueller to a contract and recalling him, the Predators are making our bottom six a "traditional" bottom six, whereas we have had a shutdown line and a third scoring line making up our bottom six to this point of the year.

I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying Belak and Begin will both be in the lineup tomorrow?

Ward/Tootoo have replaced Horns, Begin replacing the spot from Ward/Tootoo... We recalled Begin so we can bench Belak where he belongs...

I'm not expecting Begin to play much more than 5 minutes either. About the same that Belak normally plays

101st_fan 12-16-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 29615767)
I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying Belak and Begin will both be in the lineup tomorrow?

Ward/Tootoo have replaced Horns, Begin replacing the spot from Ward/Tootoo... We recalled Begin so we can bench Belak where he belongs...

I'm not expecting Begin to play much more than 5 minutes either. About the same that Belak normally plays

Belak isn't getting 3:30 a game this season. Begin should be able to play real 4th line minutes as well as some PK time. Belak does neither of those. Begin can also win a few faceoffs and play responsible defense as a forward.

Belak is only on the roster for those few occasions where the team needs a true heavyweight fighter.

Paranoid Android 12-16-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 29616792)
Belak isn't getting 3:30 a game this season. Begin should be able to play real 4th line minutes as well as some PK time. Belak does neither of those. Begin can also win a few faceoffs and play responsible defense as a forward.

Belak is only on the roster for those few occasions where the team needs a true heavyweight fighter.

And Hornqvist doesn't do any of those things either...

Like I said, we called up Begin so we can bench Belak. Now if Trotz decides to play Begin on a scoring line then I am wrong and I will give Trotz a big facepalm