HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   News Article: Hockey News Phaneuf-Stajan trade (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=854033)

JorgeRocks! 12-16-2010 03:55 PM

Hockey News Phaneuf-Stajan trade
 
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...jan-trade.html

Link there. Awful how one sided it is. Like Daryl`s quote though:

Absolutely, Id do it again. If we didnt trade Dion we would have lost (Rene) Bourque and Gio (Mark Giordano). It allowed us to keep them, as both were unrestricted free agents. We would have lost Bourque last summer and Gio this summer. And they both wanted to play here.

- Calgary Flames GM Darryl Sutter when asked if he would do the Dion Phaneuf trade again.

StreakingRed 12-16-2010 04:05 PM

I have no problem at all with Phaneuf having been traded. My problem is the return. We should have had a top line Center coming back. This is why I don't want Darryl Sutter dealing with an Iginla trade. I don't want Iginla to be traded at all, but if it came down to that, I wouldn't be looking forward to getting 2 grinders and a mid-level prospect back.

goodsauce 12-16-2010 04:12 PM

If I was GM, and don't get me wrong, I would not make a good GM, and I was giving up the 3 that I was giving up (Phaneuf, Sjostrom, and Aulie)

I think that I could have pryed some more valuable assets from Burkie.

Maybe take White as the Spot filler for Phaneuf, but then after that, take different players.

I would have liked to see Bozak come over, or possibly a guy like Grabovski?

Maybe even Kadri? because at the time, he didnt have a role with the Leafs

getoverit 12-16-2010 04:26 PM

what he is saying is he couldnt take on $ which is what we would have ended up paying for a top line centre. Not disagreeing with what you said, but if we paid a topline centre, we would have lost Rene and Gio as we wouldnt been able to pay him. Which brings up a whole different matter around contracts and NTC's :shakehead

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 29611891)
I have no problem at all with Phaneuf having been traded. My problem is the return. We should have had a top line Center coming back. This is why I don't want Darryl Sutter dealing with an Iginla trade. I don't want Iginla to be traded at all, but if it came down to that, I wouldn't be looking forward to getting 2 grinders and a mid-level prospect back.


jtommyt 12-16-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! (Post 29611754)
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...jan-trade.html

Link there. Awful how one sided it is. Like Daryl`s quote though:

Absolutely, Id do it again. If we didnt trade Dion we would have lost (Rene) Bourque and Gio (Mark Giordano). It allowed us to keep them, as both were unrestricted free agents. We would have lost Bourque last summer and Gio this summer. And they both wanted to play here.

- Calgary Flames GM Darryl Sutter when asked if he would do the Dion Phaneuf trade again.

What?!? Sutter you bumbling idiot...

Hagman - $3 million
Stajan - $3.5 million
Babchuk - $1.4 million
Kostopoulos - $916,000

Total - 8.816 Million

Phaneuf - $6.5 million
Sjostrom - $750,000
Aulie - $733,000

Total - 7.983 Million

You lost cap space you friggin idiot! Stop lying to us! :madfire:

jtommyt 12-16-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getoverit (Post 29612206)
what he is saying is he couldnt take on $ which is what we would have ended up paying for a top line centre. Not disagreeing with what you said, but if we paid a topline centre, we would have lost Rene and Gio as we wouldnt been able to pay him. Which brings up a whole different matter around contracts and NTC's :shakehead

No... I'm sorry, that's just wrong.

Instead of paying Hagman and Stajan we would be paying a top line center.

Bourque and Gio don't factor into this conversation at all.

The Gnome 12-16-2010 04:36 PM

Agree with everyone here so far.

Phaneuf going made me so happy that I would have taken a bag of dog **** as return. But in reality Sutter could have gotten so much more, and every flames fan knows it.

Then he signs a softy mediocre player in Stajan to a crap contract and handcuffs himself once again with another bad signing. Ugh! What a joke.

Bottom line is that this writer is a narcissistic ****** from TO, who would have said the leafs won the trade regardless of the return.

Nobody won this trade because sutter got underpayed, then he overpayed (stajan) and Burke got stuck with the most overatted dman in the game. Lose-lose, and the evidence is shown in the standings.

Stewie Griffin 12-16-2010 04:40 PM

There have been quite a few moves involving shuffling the deck chairs on the good ship Titanic known as the Calgary Flames in the last twelve to fifteen months. Basically, it works out as:

Calgary gets:
Hagman
Stajan
Babchuk
Kostopoulos
Columbus' 3rd round pick 2010
Toronto's 7th round pick 2012
Mayers
Stuart

Calgary gives up:
Phaneuf
2nd round pick (2011)
Aulie
Sjostrom
Primeau
Sutter Jr.

With various players going to Toronto, Columbus, and Carolina.

I realize that Toronto definitely got the best player in the deal, but I think Calgary came out a bit better than everyone claims. The part of the series of trades that hurts the most is losing the 2nd pick next year, which could be like a low first...

StreakingRed 12-16-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getoverit (Post 29612206)
what he is saying is he couldnt take on $ which is what we would have ended up paying for a top line centre.


What he is saying is a bunch of BS like usual. You wanna have money to pay top line centers? Stop picking up horrible contracts (ie. Staios) and givin' out NTC's like halloween candy.

StreakingRed 12-16-2010 05:18 PM

Darren Dreger: http://twitter.com/darrendreger

Quote:

Mike Keenan likes Dion Phaneuf, but confirms Phaneuf was part of dressing room issues in Cgy. More, at 6pm on TSN's Sportscentre.

Quote:

Keenan won't comment on specific incidents, but said "Neon Dion's" teammates asked the coach to discipline Phaneuf. Blog soon on TSN.ca

Flames 1st pick 12-16-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtommyt (Post 29612235)
What?!? Sutter you bumbling idiot...

Hagman - $3 million
Stajan - $3.5 million
Babchuk - $1.4 million
Kostopoulos - $916,000

Total - 8.816 Million

Phaneuf - $6.5 million
Sjostrom - $750,000
Aulie - $733,000

Total - 7.983 Million

You lost cap space you friggin idiot! Stop lying to us! :madfire:


Yeah...he thinks all Flames fans are all idiots that can't do simple math.

Sadly there are some...those are the ones who continue to believe...in Sutter we trust :laugh:

MarkGio 12-16-2010 09:51 PM

I'd absolutely love it if D. Sutter pulls a "Bob Gainey" and this current roster barely sneaks into the playoffs, but makes to the Wester Conference finals (or more ;)). That would settle these bandwagons down for a minute.

maverick9 12-16-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtommyt (Post 29612235)
What?!? Sutter you bumbling idiot...

Hagman - $3 million
Stajan - $3.5 million
Babchuk - $1.4 million
Kostopoulos - $916,000

Total - 8.816 Million

Phaneuf - $6.5 million
Sjostrom - $750,000
Aulie - $733,000

Total - 7.983 Million

You lost cap space you friggin idiot! Stop lying to us! :madfire:

ya you would also have to find 2 top 6 guys, stajan is a good part. ideally he will be the 2nd line centre. hagman aint hurtin will prob end up with 20 goals.

Skobel24 12-16-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtommyt (Post 29612235)
What?!? Sutter you bumbling idiot...

Hagman - $3 million
Stajan - $3.5 million
Babchuk - $1.4 million
Kostopoulos - $916,000

Total - 8.816 Million

Phaneuf - $6.5 million
Sjostrom - $750,000
Aulie - $733,000

Total - 7.983 Million

You lost cap space you friggin idiot! Stop lying to us! :madfire:

yes and no. Had we kept Phaneuf, we'd have been about the same, but we'd also need to fill 3 forward spots on this team, including 2 top 6 forwards.

Skobel24 12-16-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkGio (Post 29622013)
I'd absolutely love it if D. Sutter pulls a "Bob Gainey" and this current roster barely sneaks into the playoffs, but makes to the Wester Conference finals (or more ;)). That would settle these bandwagons down for a minute.

Or bring more in...

ArizonaGreenTea 12-16-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick9 (Post 29624277)
ya you would also have to find 2 top 6 guys, stajan is a good part. ideally he will be the 2nd line centre. hagman aint hurtin will prob end up with 20 goals.

Trade Phaneuf in the off season, don't pick up Kotalik or Staios. Without Kotalik, Stajan, Kostopolus, Babchuck, Staois and Hagman, that gives plenty of money to throw around. Yes, there are some holes in the roster as a result but then would Sutter have parted with Sjostrom, Nystrom, Boyd, Dawes, Pardy and Prust?

Just think, the cap space saved could have actually gotten the Flames someone worthwhile while the Devils and Kings fought over Kovalchuck. Edit, it would've had to be a trade, I forgot that the free agent pool this offseason was a tad dry. The biggest deals on the 1rst and 2nd involved below 40 point players.

Yes, it doesn't look great offensively in comparision but it also looks worse defensively. Just imagine Nystrom and Backlund on the PK.

Skobel24 12-16-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons (Post 29624749)
Trade Phaneuf in the off season, don't pick up Kotalik or Staios. Without Kotalik, Stajan, Kostopolus, Babchuck, Staois and Hagman, that gives plenty of money to throw around. Yes, there are some holes in the roster as a result but then would Sutter have parted with Sjostrom, Nystrom, Boyd, Dawes, Pardy and Prust?

Just think, the cap space saved could have actually gotten the Flames someone worthwhile while the Devils and Kings fought over Kovalchuck.

Yes, it doesn't look great offensively in comparision but it also looks worse defensively. Just imagine Nystrom and Backlund on the PK.

Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Johnny Hoxville 12-16-2010 11:57 PM

I've said this before, Dion should of been moved to aquire a) A number one centre (ie. lecavalier, b. richards, spezza, or savard) or we should of traded him to get some dam cap relief for once and got a #1 draft pick and a good prospect. We need both of these things and Sutter got none of them with moving one of our most valuable assets. We would of ended up in around the same place in the standings anyways if we just would of aquired the pick & prospect. The leafs did not rob us by any stretch, give Dion time and he will divide that dressing room as well. The problem isn't that we traded Dion, is what we got back for him.

Skobel24 12-16-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 29624911)
I've said this before, Dion should of been moved to aquire a) A number one centre (ie. lecavalier, b. richards, spezza, or savard) or we should of traded him to get some dam cap relief for once and got a #1 draft pick and a good prospect. We need both of these things and Sutter got none of them with moving one of our most valuable assets. We would of ended up in around the same place in the standings anyways if we just would of aquired the pick & prospect. The leafs did not rob us by any stretch, give Dion time and he will divide that dressing room as well. The problem isn't that we traded Dion, is what we got back for him.

ewww.

Snazu 12-17-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtommyt (Post 29612235)
What?!? Sutter you bumbling idiot...

Hagman - $3 million
Stajan - $3.5 million
Babchuk - $1.4 million
Kostopoulos - $916,000

Total - 8.816 Million

Phaneuf - $6.5 million
Sjostrom - $750,000
Aulie - $733,000

Total - 7.983 Million

You lost cap space you friggin idiot! Stop lying to us! :madfire:

Not really. We gained a 2nd line centre, a 2/3rd line winger and a top 4 D-man for phaneuf, and easily replacable 4th liner, a fringe D prospect. With phaneuf on our team, who would be on our # 1 line playing centre? Backlund? Jokinen? Basically this trade just spead out the cap hit from 1 guy to 3 guys. In the cap world, this makes sense to not put all your eggs in one basket. I'm not defending Sutter for the trade, I think we could have got more, but I see the reasoning behind it at least.

Lunatik* 12-17-2010 05:15 AM

I still like the trade... the more time passes the more I like it... we needed offensive depth and to distribute salary better.... this trade achieved all of that...

I think Hagman/Stajan/Bourque would be an excellent 2nd line... but like other posters I think we could do without the Staios and Kotalik deals...

I'm not going to jump on the Jokinen (re)signing because if you look at the UFA market for centermen there was literally only 1 centerman over 6'1 that could play 1st or 2nd line... and like it or not it was Jokinen... however I would have only signed him for1 year

but without Staios & Kotalik we would have almost $6 million to try and acquire that #1 center... which is not as easy to acquire as so many posters on here seem to think it is

ArizonaGreenTea 12-17-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 29626521)
but without Staios & Kotalik we would have almost $6 million to try and acquire that #1 center... which is not as easy to acquire as so many posters on here seem to think it is

The problem I have with all of this, why isn't it enough to have a strong winger for Iginla? I could never figure out the absolute logic that Sutter has used to defend his approach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skobel55 (Post 29624909)
Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Yeah, except for the fact that I operated under the premise that the Phaneuf trade didn't happen. I, like many fans, wasn't happy about most of the moves Sutter made at the end of the last season and things turned out worse than expected still.

Am I operating on hindsight when I state that if the deadline deals were avoided the Flames would have held on to certain players they traded away or let move on?

GoFlames 12-17-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan (Post 29619046)
Yeah...he thinks all Flames fans are all idiots that can't do simple math.

Sadly there are some...those are the ones who continue to believe...in Sutter we trust :laugh:

Trust Sutter.... :facepalm: More like trusting Sutter to continue to **** the team up again and again. :help:

Lunatik* 12-17-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanford and Sons (Post 29626942)
The problem I have with all of this, why isn't it enough to have a strong winger for Iginla? I could never figure out the absolute logic that Sutter has used to defend his approach.

he acquired Tanguay and Cammalleri and then Jokinen... Jokinen didnt work as planned but has acquired someone for Iggy to play with whenever the previous leaves... last year was the 1st time since acquiring Huselius we didn't have a good winger for Iggy... and if Jokinen had worked like hoped it wouldnt be an issue

jtommyt 12-17-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 29626521)
I still like the trade... the more time passes the more I like it... we needed offensive depth and to distribute salary better.... this trade achieved all of that...

I think Hagman/Stajan/Bourque would be an excellent 2nd line... but like other posters I think we could do without the Staios and Kotalik deals...

I'm not going to jump on the Jokinen (re)signing because if you look at the UFA market for centermen there was literally only 1 centerman over 6'1 that could play 1st or 2nd line... and like it or not it was Jokinen... however I would have only signed him for1 year

but without Staios & Kotalik we would have almost $6 million to try and acquire that #1 center... which is not as easy to acquire as so many posters on here seem to think it is

I'm not saying that I hate the trade. I'm saying that the re-signing of Bourque and Gio is not relevant to the discussion. Sutter throws up smoke and mirrors like this all the time, and fans just let him.

As for the need to fill our forward roster... In our ideal world Dion could have brought us a top centre. So Backlund could be number 2, Jokinen number 3, and Morrison/Conroy 4.

As far as wingers go, we're currently throwing 2-4 million worth of forward depth into the pressbox on any given night...

I don't get what the issue is.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.