HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Anyone ever gotten the FBV or Flat Bottom V sharpening done? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=854106)

BylsMafia 12-16-2010 07:31 PM

Anyone ever gotten the FBV or Flat Bottom V sharpening done?

I just got my skates sharpened this way unlike a regular hollow. Is this type of sharpening new? If so i haven't heard of it. The guy the was showing me it said you get a better glide and i guess it makes you a little faster also by giving you more stability on your turns.

Heres the pic of what it looks like just for the people who don't know about it:
http://advancededge.net/images/comp_cut_copy.gif

Leth 12-16-2010 07:34 PM

Been skating on it since it was first introduced a year and half ago or so. Was skating on a 5/8" standard ROH and switched to a 90/75 FBV and havent' looked back. The glide is amazing and the amount of bite you can control depending on agressive you want the cut to be. No real downside at all IMO.

frito 12-16-2010 07:43 PM

Been using it for about a year now and won't go back to a standard cut. I noticed it the most while gliding backwards. First time I did it fealt like I was gliding on butter.

The Tikkanen 12-19-2010 09:48 PM

Just changed over from 7/16 tonight. All I can say is wow. The glide is noticeably different, got that half step of speed back. Try it.

Jarick 12-20-2010 09:06 AM

Yes, been on it for over a year, love it. Currently on 100/50.

Lario Melieux* 12-20-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frito (Post 29617169)
Been using it for about a year now and won't go back to a standard cut. I noticed it the most while gliding backwards. First time I did it fealt like I was gliding on butter.

Ok i thought i was just making that up in my own head but guess not!!

adaminnj 12-20-2010 12:42 PM

I tried it and hated it, never felt stable on my edges. My 9 year old goalie just said it "Sucked" when we tried it for him too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it's bad I'm just saying that it was not for me/us.

Jarick 12-20-2010 12:47 PM

What cut did you get and did you try any others? If you got a bad sharpening or a funny "hollow" that could cause issues. I know if I had a 7/8" or higher standard sharpening I'd hate it.

mbeam 12-20-2010 02:19 PM

Can anyone provide an explanation of the physics behind this concept? What're the supposed benefits and the reasoning behind them?

RJC 12-20-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbeam (Post 29683129)
Can anyone provide an explanation of the physics behind this concept? What're the supposed benefits and the reasoning behind them?

I dunno why dont you goggle it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flat+bottom+v

Pittsburgh Proud 12-20-2010 02:33 PM

Might have to try this.

Rush22* 12-20-2010 02:56 PM

I have been using FBV sharpening for a year now, I prefer the 100/50 cut. I will never switch back to conventional sharpening.

adaminnj 12-20-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 29681709)
What cut did you get and did you try any others? If you got a bad sharpening or a funny "hollow" that could cause issues. I know if I had a 7/8" or higher standard sharpening I'd hate it.

Not sure I tried 2 different FBV sharps and still felt like I had no edge. I know I did use the 100-50 or 50-100 which ever it is. The other I can't remember.

The Tikkanen 12-20-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 29685014)
Not sure I tried 2 different FBV sharps and still felt like I had no edge. I know I did use the 100-50 or 50-100 which ever it is. The other I can't remember.

That's weird because I'm 190 lbs, I like a lot of edge and did not notice any loss of edge but noticeable gain in glide and speed going forward. The first time I had to transistion from skating forward to backward during the game I was a little unstable but it wasn't a big deal. Maybe the FBV comes down to skating style? Maybe it's who is doing the FBV doesn't have much experience? Everything I've heard is more glide, same bite so that's interesting that some peopel don't like it. Just goes to show you how different we all need our equipment.

Copeland 12-21-2010 12:27 AM

Superior glide and good bite, yes. I loved it while I had it.

But I'll tell you this... I went 2.5 months on one ROH sharpening without any problems, and then when I switched to FBV I lost an edge just three weeks in and had to go get it re-sharpened. I dunno, was it just bad luck, or is this a real issue? I decided to not risk it and went back to trusty old ROH, for now. Yeah, the feel isn't as great, but at least I'm not freaking out about an edge breaking off when I least expect it o.O

So there's my story lol

Paranoid Android 12-21-2010 03:45 AM

Does it stay sharp longer than standards cuts? Or about the same?

Jarick 12-21-2010 08:40 AM

I think it's all about luck really, whether you get a nick in your edge or not.

Before FBV, I used to get my skates sharpened about once a month. Now I'm going about 10-12 weeks between sharpenings. I used to do 11/16" (yeah they hated me) because 3/4" was too flat and 5/8" was too sharp. After a few skates, I would start losing edges. Now, I just get the standard 100/50 and the edge feels a bit sharp for the first skate but then it feels perfect.

I'm guessing now that we have outdoor ice and I start playing outside I'll probably need to sharpen more frequently.

AIREAYE 12-21-2010 01:02 PM

i think that since it's a relatively new cut system, it really depends on whether or not your sharpener is experienced enough. i found that my FBV's were wildly inconsistent from shop to shop

Razzmatazz 12-21-2010 06:41 PM

The difference was noticeable, I really recommend doing the V cut if you have a competent person doing the sharpening.

Lario Melieux* 12-21-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud (Post 29683353)
Might have to try this.

www.hockeynat.com

Lario Melieux* 12-21-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 29698826)
I think it's all about luck really, whether you get a nick in your edge or not.

Before FBV, I used to get my skates sharpened about once a month. Now I'm going about 10-12 weeks between sharpenings. I used to do 11/16" (yeah they hated me) because 3/4" was too flat and 5/8" was too sharp. After a few skates, I would start losing edges. Now, I just get the standard 100/50 and the edge feels a bit sharp for the first skate but then it feels perfect.

I'm guessing now that we have outdoor ice and I start playing outside I'll probably need to sharpen more frequently.

I noticed the skates staying sharp for longer, but it does seem like it's a lot easier to lose an edge. I take mine down about every 3-4 weeks, and the guy looks at the blades and comments that they still look pretty sharp. Then I point out the 1/2 inch to an inch knick and he's like... oh...

If it wasn't for losing an edge, they would definitely last 6-8 weeks.

noobman 12-22-2010 02:07 AM

I got it done once and immediately noticed an improvement in my backwards skating/stopping. I haven't looked back since.

kenmei 12-23-2010 03:37 PM

i'm another convert. haven't looked back at standard hollow.

been rocking 100/50 for a while

gojacketsgo61 12-23-2010 09:05 PM

I used it for a year. But switched back to normal. I liked it but I just never felt like I had full control. Also there is no such thing as a competent skate sharpener in my city, so that must of contributed to the problem.

coiner 01-30-2013 09:04 AM

Cross-section of FBV and 1/2" cuts

1 Attachment(s)
For what it's worth, I have access to a profilometer that can measure nanometer scale heights and took a cross section of cuts made by 1/2" and 100/50 mini-spinners on an X-01 machine.

If you can open the attached PDF, I think the results are kind of what you'd expect. The depth of cut really is close to 50/10000 and the width of the flat bottom is close to 100mils. The stylus of the profilometer does have some width to it, it's supposed to be about 1-2 mils so maybe the flat is a little narrower than 100mils. I'm surprised the flat is as rough as it is, but the cross sectional area is smaller than for the 1/2" which is the intended purpose.

I'll try to compare to other cuts, but I don't have other spinners. Any ideas, let me know.