HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   TSN: Keenan confirms lockerroom issues with Phaneuf (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=854220)

canadajazz 12-17-2010 12:44 AM

Keenan confirms lockerroom issues with Phaneuf

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345780

canadajazz 12-17-2010 12:48 AM

The interesting thing about this article is that...assuming Keenan isn't making this up (and I don't really see his incentive to), it completely kills any credibility any Flames player has for me.

Just a couple days ago they were telling the media it was all BS, all false rumors, etc.

The thing is, I'm COMPLETELY an advocate of keeping the locker room stuff inside the locker room; specially while it was going on. My only issue is that when you then go out of your way to lie and say there were no problems, it makes you lose a tremendous amount of credibility in the future after stuff like this comes out. Just makes you wonder what's truth and what's fiction in any player interview.

You guys think there's a reason to actually proactively lie after the fact? I'm not saying they should have stepped up and said "Well, yeah Dion was a problem blah blah" I'm just wondering if it would be more prudent to say something like "Rumors are rumors and we're focused on the team we have now and winning the game now" as opposed to actively advocating that all the rumors of locker troubles were false, lies, etc.

That being said, that's all assuming Keenan is being honest. I have a feeling he is.

flames123 12-17-2010 12:57 AM

Let me straiten this out for you. Drger himself is not the one that wrote the article, and he is the one who had the source on it.

Dreger said that it was not a personality issue, but rather some jealousy because of Phaneufs big contract.

(i assume Regehr was he took a pay cut to stay here and then they give Phaneuf a big contract he really didn't end up living up to.)

canadajazz 12-17-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames123 (Post 29624917)
Let me straiten this out for you. Drger himself is not the one that wrote the article, and he is the one who had the source on it.

Dreger said that it was not a personality issue, but rather some jealousy because of Phaneufs big contract.

(i assume Regehr was he took a pay cut to stay here and then they give Phaneuf a big contract he really didn't end up living up to.)

Hmm...

"Veteran players referred to Phaneuf as "Neon Dion" and found him, at times, overly confident, if not cocky, on and off the ice.

There were arguments, and some wanted Keenan to tighten the reigns and discipline Phaneuf,"

Overly confident? cocky? needs discipline? friction and name-calling?

Sounds like personality issues/clashes to me.

Johnny Hoxville 12-17-2010 01:32 AM

Iginla is a classy guy in every sense, and he would never comment on anything if it did happen. What does it matter now anyways, he is gone and is TO's problem now.

StreakingRed 12-17-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVW (Post 29625344)
What does it matter now anyways, he is gone and is TO's problem now.

Exactly. Couldn't of said it better.

Whether it was true or not doesn't matter now.

Stewie Griffin 12-17-2010 06:02 AM

Flames players call Karlsson "vez" because he's cocky, and struts around like he's already won the trophy. Sounds like he's a cancer in the room too.

:sarcasm:

Being a little cocky isn't necessarily a bad thing.

GoFlames 12-17-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin (Post 29626486)
Flames players call Karlsson "vez" because he's cocky, and struts around like he's already won the trophy. Sounds like he's a cancer in the room too.

:sarcasm:

Being a little cocky isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yes totally! As much as I liked Phaneuf his issues are Toronto's now... I agree with Flames 123 though as Reggie must have been royally upset after he took a cut then Phaneuf gets the big bucks.

Body Checker 12-17-2010 10:21 AM

“Dion is all about Dion,” said one team member on the condition of anonymity.

“He just wouldn’t buy in. Darryl did the only thing he could do — he had to trade him. You can’t keep that in the dressing room.”

Here's a Flames player quote from a Sun article. This would pretty much confirm it. Link:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../16570031.html

getoverit 12-17-2010 10:37 AM

I dont think anyone misses Dion really or questions being traded, just all frustrated that we felt we could have got more.

as far as what went on in the locker room, who cares , theire problem now, we have our own problems :laugh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Body Checker (Post 29627959)

“He just wouldn’t buy in. Darryl did the only thing he could do — he had to trade him. You can’t keep that in the dressing room.”

Here's a Flames player quote from a Sun article. This would pretty much confirm it. Link:

bigchief12 12-17-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Body Checker (Post 29627959)

A Francis article quoting anonymous players confirms nothing. It may be true, it may not be. Francis is on par with Eklund in the credibility department.

ArizonaGreenTea 12-17-2010 04:11 PM

If Phaneuf was actually driven out of town because the players were jealous of his contract then I would concede that, despite his arrogance, he wasn't the problem. Green with envy about a higher paid player because a his production isn't up to your standards? If true, it would be a sign that the core of this team is rotten and if Phaneuf wasn't working out, moving him wouldn't solve the problem the team has.

There is one simple fact that tempers my conclusion here, it is Keenan. A coach with a reputation of not knowing when to back down, whose career has been marred by poor decisions, aggressive meltdowns and petty behavior. No doubt that Keenan understands some sports psychology but he left all but one team because the players drove him out of town by giving up and refusing to play. It shows that Keenan's understanding of sport's psychology is pretty poor.

The biggest thing Keenan had against him was this personal bias, if you did something to impress him early on, it was easy to keep his favor all throughout his tenure as coach. Keenan has treated several players as if they could do no wrong and I think that is a sign that he overvalues a player's contribution and the players that could do no right, they couldn't do anything to win back his favor(something Fleury mentioned in his book as well).

Combine his reputation of player bias, his reputation of pushing teams to the point where they give up and his contradicting quotes brought up by canadajazz and I think it's fair to conclude that he is not a reliable source despite being coach of the team. I sincerely believe that Keenan is telling the truth as he sees it so I wouldn't call him a liar but I would call him biased. The Francis article doesn't confirm anything either, too often sport's journalists hide behind the anonymous source in order to create a juicy story, Francis has been one of the worst culprits of this that I have read. I will wait with baited breath for the next reliable source on Phaneuf's reputation with the Flames. By the way, when does Calgary play Toronto again?

Pilkington 12-17-2010 04:32 PM

^ good post

tmurfin 12-18-2010 12:10 AM

Everyone knew there were problems? and a guy like Iginla (the leader of this team) isn't going to bring all the issues out to public. However Conroy came out and said basically that Regehr and Dion butted heads. AND in the past week Regehr didn't say no it was fine, he said "all lockerrooms have issues, you just have to work through them and keep going"

But as said before, who cares? WHY THE **** are we talking about Phaneuf when he's not even on our team anymore, none of this is relevant to the flames today