HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   CSN Philly: Ville Leino's Contract Talks Stalled (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=854452)

sa cyred 12-17-2010 04:31 PM

Ville Leino's Contract Talks Stalled

Eh...

Quote:

Flyers forward Ville Leino was told to expect an offer from the Flyers by the end of November, according to a source.

Instead, he watched from the sidelines as his team signed Claude Giroux to a three-year, $11.25 million extension and then, just days later, inked Jeff Carter to an 11-year, $58 million deal.

Leino’s offer, however, never came.

“I don’t think I have any offers,” Leino said. “I don’t know what the situation there is, exactly......

His contract will run out at the end of this season, at which time he will become an unrestricted free agent. It’s something he’s very well aware of, he said, but something he knows he can’t focus on.

“I try not to think too much, I try not to give myself thoughts of that,” he said. “I’m just playing hockey and trying to get better and trying to concentrate on that, and those things will work out themselves. At least, you try not to think about it.”

Rogers Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy reported on TV about a week ago that the Flyers did offer Leino a deal, but the winger chose to turn it down. General manager Paul Holmgren confirmed Friday, however, that Leino has not been presented with an offer.

“Things go the way they will,” said Leino. “I’ll just try to keep playing, and that’s the only thing you can affect, your playing.”
http://www.csnphilly.com/12/17/10/So...513&feedID=695

I know it doesnt say its stalled, but when he hasnt gotten any offers and the agent comes to Philly but not for him, I considered it stalled. Mods feel free to change it to something different if they want. Didnt know what else to name it as.

L-train* 12-17-2010 04:33 PM

They better get off their ass and offer him a contract. I just hope talks with Carter and Giroux took up their time and now they will have time over Christmas break to get it done.

DUHockey9 12-17-2010 04:55 PM

Isn't there some issue with the number of contracts they have and the number of dollars they have committed to next year?

CharlieGirl 12-17-2010 04:55 PM

What the hell?

Homer jumps the gun on pieces that he didn't need to (still pissed that he signed Leighton the day before free agency) yet sits on Leino's deal?

The man needs an icy boot up his arse.

MillerTime2181 12-17-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUHockey9 (Post 29634518)
Isn't there some issue with the number of contracts they have and the number of dollars they have committed to next year?

I thought this was the reasoning too. If they are able to get it done and dollars/contracts next year don't matter, then they need to quit stalling and get on it. How much more do they need to see to say he's an effective player?:help:

ELab2 12-17-2010 05:19 PM

they can't exceed next years cap this year (next years cap number being the same as this years for this purpose). They have less than $2mil in space. They can't sign him until they get rid of someone.

GKJ 12-17-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUHockey9 (Post 29634518)

Yeah, it's called like tagging space or something like that.

Beef Invictus 12-17-2010 05:31 PM

Why....it's almost like Homer's cap management is bad.

surely not!??

Jray42 12-17-2010 05:37 PM

Soooo apparently he want 3M per. Personally, don't think it's feasible.... too much imo. at least over what we can pay him

L-train* 12-17-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jray42 (Post 29635044)
the next sentence right after sa cyred cut off was that ville wants about 3m in salary, if anyone wants to know.

Absolutely worth it, but we, sadly, cannot afford it with the likes of Jody Shelley, Michael Leighton, and Matt Walker under contract.

Solution? Leights and Walker to the AHL.

DUHockey9 12-17-2010 05:45 PM

The most logical move ever is to waive Walker (once we can) so we can sign Leino.

1865 12-17-2010 05:46 PM

He's absolutely worth $3m if he continues playing like this.

Jaydepps 12-17-2010 05:59 PM

3 mil is about as high as I'd go for Leino. He is one of my favorite players, but I don't see us paying him any much more.

SolidSnakeUS 12-17-2010 06:04 PM

I'm sure he will probably be signed after the trade deadline. I'm sure they are now waiting to see who they can get rid of and then try to sign Leino.

BillyShoe1721 12-17-2010 06:08 PM

I'm fine with this. If we sign Leino to a contract before we have the space to fit him, we're going to get absolutely zero value back for whoever we trade to make room. It would be Gagne 2.0. I believe this will get done eventually.

Jray42 12-17-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-train (Post 29635067)
Absolutely worth it, but we, sadly, cannot afford it with the likes of Jody Shelley, Michael Leighton, and Matt Walker under contract.

Solution? Leights and Walker to the AHL.

ahh damnit.... of course someone quoted me before i edited it, lol :laugh:

Start Leighton* 12-17-2010 06:23 PM

Yea so waive Leighton and Walker that is like 3.2 mil in cap space problem solved. Damn I am one good GM. :sarcasm:

SolidSnakeUS 12-17-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xchrisx159 (Post 29635604)
Yea so waive Leighton and Walker that is like 3.2 mil in cap space problem solved. Damn I am one good GM. :sarcasm:

Don't forget Shelley either. Remember, if Zherdev or Carcillo goes down, we can just bring up Wellwood as a replacement. We have replacements to help.

DUHockey9 12-17-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 (Post 29635419)
I'm fine with this. If we sign Leino to a contract before we have the space to fit him, we're going to get absolutely zero value back for whoever we trade to make room. It would be Gagne 2.0. I believe this will get done eventually.

But I'm pretty sure the issue is we literally are not allowed to sign him until we move someone.

rban* 12-17-2010 06:59 PM

I HOPE .. well, knock on wood .... that Philly wont be dumb enough to keep the likes of Walker and Leighton and Shelley there while allowing Leino to get away.

Jester 12-17-2010 07:38 PM

Someone can look into it... but assuming waived player X isn't claimed, I don't think it'll have any impact on our contractual restrictions.

However, someone had a quote from Leino a couple weeks back claiming he understood the situation. So not sure where this is coming from all the sudden.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-17-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 29635689)
Don't forget Shelley either. Remember, if Zherdev or Carcillo goes down, we can just bring up Wellwood as a replacement. We have replacements to help.

I'm psyched on Wellwood too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has played three games in the NHL against two pretty bad teams and one decent team. I wouldn't want to depend on him for any extended period of time at this point. He might do fine...hell he might do better than fine. But I would rather not have to depend on a 21 year old unproven rookie for anything.

As far as Leino goes, they better get their ass in gear and sign him. He is one of those players that I think is key to the future of this team. He plays such an awesome game and always has the playoff beard going!

SolidSnakeUS 12-17-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 29637712)
I'm psyched on Wellwood too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has played three games in the NHL against two pretty bad teams and one decent team. I wouldn't want to depend on him for any extended period of time at this point. He might do fine...hell he might do better than fine. But I would rather not have to depend on a 21 year old unproven rookie for anything.

As far as Leino goes, they better get their ass in gear and sign him. He is one of those players that I think is key to the future of this team. He plays such an awesome game and always has the playoff beard going!

It will probably be done after the trade deadline to see what kind of money we can get rid of before the playoffs and the off-season. Don't worry, I don't think Homer is really going to let him go away after this season.

whatthef 12-17-2010 08:49 PM

We best not lose Leino

mercury 12-17-2010 09:02 PM

Can't Walker be waived after the playoffs but before the draft or something, then Leino locked up?