HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is Avery Finished with the NYR? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=855257)

NikC 12-20-2010 09:39 AM

Is Avery Finished with the NYR?
 
What do you think is going on with Avery? During his first stint with the NYR he absolutely electrified the
team at the time. His energy, attitude ,and antics woke up Jagr, Shanny, etc. when they were in the dumps and
could not get anything going. We have seen what Avery Unleashed can do for a team in the past.

I am totally convinced that Tortorella despises the game that makes Avery effective and has totally neutered him.
You can argue that when Torts gives Avery ice time, he doesnít do much with it, but I feel as though Avery is playing
With NO margin for error. I realize that Torts has said publicly that he did NOT tell Avery to change his game, but
You canít deny that Avery is doing none of the things that made him effective here in NY anymore.

He should have been the catalyst to usurp the Flyers this past Saturday, like he used to be in the past, instead he just
Took his obligatory bad penalty and faded away for the rest of the game. Overall it seems evident that he is the type of player that the coach has no use for. Itís just a shame because the old Avery could really be a factor on a team with not much talent.

Does anyone agree? Do you see Avery being fazed out?

asparkoflife 12-20-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 29678541)
What do you think is going on with Avery? During his first stint with the NYR he absolutely electrified the
team at the time. His energy, attitude ,and antics woke up Jagr, Shanny, etc. when they were in the dumps and
could not get anything going. We have seen what Avery Unleashed can do for a team in the past.

I am totally convinced that Tortorella despises the game that makes Avery effective and has totally neutered him.
You can argue that when Torts gives Avery ice time, he doesnít do much with it, but I feel as though Avery is playing
With NO margin for error. I realize that Torts has said publicly that he did NOT tell Avery to change his game, but
You canít deny that Avery is doing none of the things that made him effective here in NY anymore.

He should have been the catalyst to usurp the Flyers this past Saturday, like he used to be in the past, instead he just
Took his obligatory bad penalty and faded away for the rest of the game. Overall it seems evident that he is the type of player that the coach has no use for. Itís just a shame because the old Avery could really be a factor on a team with not much talent.

Does anyone agree? Do you see Avery being fazed out?

"unleashed" Avery also takes a ton of bad penalties and forgets he's playing hockey sometimes and thinks the rink is his own personal 3 ring circus.

Torts was always trying to motivate Avery to play on the line and not go over, but it seems Avery would just rather be ineffective. Avery did also see time on the 1st line this year so I dont think there's a "hatred" for him.

Also there's this guy named Brandon Prust who has played better AND been a leader thusly taken a lot of his ice time away from him.

NikC 12-20-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prusted (Post 29678638)
"unleashed" Avery also takes a ton of bad penalties and forgets he's playing hockey sometimes and thinks the rink is his own personal 3 ring circus.

Torts was always trying to motivate Avery to play on the line and not go over, but it seems Avery would just rather be ineffective. Avery did also see time on the 1st line this year so I dont think there's a "hatred" for him.

Also there's this guy named Brandon Prust who has played better AND been a leader thusly taken a lot of his ice time away from him.

what does that statement really mean though? "Play on the line" can be privately interpreted to mean anything.

I never said there was a "hatred" for him personally, but for the way he plays the game as an instigator.


I'm no fan of Renney, but he was able to get the best out of him, just seems like Torts can't/won't. Thanks for the Prust info!

Vitto79 12-20-2010 10:07 AM

did I miss something ? Did'nt see the last game but was Avery not doing well in whatever roll they gave him and not complaining?

He has another year left after this one so I expect him on the team and then yea sure he likely is let go as young players are coming in

But for now he helps

chip chipperson* 12-20-2010 10:10 AM

avery is fine

NikC 12-20-2010 10:12 AM

1g in 35g is helping him off the team. Avery used to be more than fine.

ThisYearsModel 12-20-2010 10:37 AM

Renney put Avery in positions to contribute. Torts does not. I expect that Avery will be a Ranger until his contract is up, then bye bye.

haohmaru 12-20-2010 10:41 AM

I think Avery generates more discussion than every other 3rd liner in the league combined. He isn't a top 6 forward and doesn't deserve top 6 minutes.

NYROrtsFan 12-20-2010 10:44 AM

I think Avery has been fine...

And I don't think Torts hates him.

nyrleetch 12-20-2010 10:45 AM

Avery is 2nd on the team in assists despite the limited time.

PavelBure9 12-20-2010 10:46 AM

Avery is fine. He's a third/fourth line player probably on pace for 30 points,if not more, which is what you would expect. I think the Rangers are better with him then without him, and he's suited for New York. If you have him on a fourth line, thats a great thing. You have Jarko Ruttu and Matt Cooke putting up about the same numbers as Avery, who are comparable players.

On a side note, I've seen that when Avery-Boyle-Prust are together, that has been an effective third line that can score, so I think these three players, while not key to the core, are very instrumental for this team this succeed

Miller Time NYR 12-20-2010 10:54 AM

Idk what the hell torts is doing with Avery, he can say he didn't but torts took averys game away plain and simple. Notice the two games he played with gabrik he did pretty well, or when he's playing with capable line mates he can be a good playmaker. He ja a lot of untapped potential that torts just doesn't have the patience to try and unleash with Avery. He's got speed, he's got some skill I know he's got no shot but he can be a playmaker and playing 8 minutes a game on the fourth line is ridiculous.

GAGLine 12-20-2010 10:54 AM

Why is it that Avery is the only player in the league who needs to be a ********* in order to be effective? Just play hockey. If the antics are the only way he can get himself into the game, then we don't need him.

Blueshirt Special 12-20-2010 11:02 AM

I am not unhappy with Avery or with Torts for how he has handled him.

On the contrary, I think our game has been seasoned with just the right amount of Avery. No too bland, not too spicy.

AND.....Avery is staying healthy! Which is a good thing.

He will have his moments, good and bad; and will contribute some nights, and some nights not.

If he stays healthy, he could be a difference maker in a playoff game or 2. But it is unreasonable to expect more than that.

I Am Chariot 12-20-2010 11:28 AM

This is a puzzling thread.

we want cup 12-20-2010 11:31 AM

Avery just hasn't been doing the things he used to do as frequently as he used to do them. Simple as that.

Stepanformayor* 12-20-2010 11:37 AM

He leads the nhl in pims. Thats not what Torts wants!! He has taking 4 dumb penelties in the last 3 games. This team can not win with dumb as. in the penalty box. Thats why he is not playing.

chip chipperson* 12-20-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 29678799)
1g in 35g is helping him off the team. Avery used to be more than fine.

2nd on team with assists. avery is fine

Rangers44* 12-20-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikC (Post 29678799)
1g in 35g is helping him off the team. Avery used to be more than fine.

but his 14 assists is near the top of the team. His 1 goal indicates that our playmakers are not very good. He is fighting and winning fights.

I think his time with the Rangers will be up when his contract is up.

Avery should have been used on the PK.

Garv23 12-20-2010 11:57 AM

This love affair with Avery is embarrassing. I mean I like the dude's game and even the thin line he walks, but give me a freakin' break. He's at best a third line talent so he's where he should be. The whole Torts misusing him thing is ridiculous.

XLJ 12-20-2010 12:01 PM

Avery's been fine he has been hitting and fighting. He is 2nd on this team in assits. He hasn't been scoring goals. Lack of playmakers maybe?

Right now he has kind of gotten the short stick. I dont care if it is Prust, Fedotenko, Boyle its going to be tough being effective when your linemate is either White or Boogaard. Your playing short handed on that line. When the entire team gets healthy they should have 4 solid lines.

I Am Chariot 12-20-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msg (Post 29680100)
When the entire team gets healthy they should have 4 solid lines.

Agreed and Avery will have his role

Rangers44* 12-20-2010 12:08 PM

I would play Avery at center. He is one of our better playmakers and faceoffers

Inferno 12-20-2010 12:09 PM

imho hes been fairly ineffective...id be curious how many of his assists were of the secondary variety. regardless its not the offensive numbers that makes avery an effective player, its his ability to get other teams off their game. to get them to take more penalties than he takes. to get them focused on him instead of the other players around him. he hasnt done that. what torts wants is for avery to be that kind of player, without making it about him. without speaking with the media talking about sloppy seconds. without taking stupid penalties. without running around like a chicken with its head cut off. sean avery has been a big disappointment in terms of impact on the ice imho. he used to be able to win us games with his mouth alone.

Loffen 12-20-2010 12:32 PM

No...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.