HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   GDT: 2011 WJC Discussion Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=855911)

BillyShoe1721 12-21-2010 08:48 PM

2011 WJC Discussion Thread

Discuss the WJC here. Our only guy participating is Bertilsson for Sweden.

MsWoof 12-21-2010 09:09 PM

Canada just beat Sweden 4-1 in a pre-tourney game at the ACC. Sweden took a ton of penalties, most of which were dumb. It was strange watching fans at the ACC be happy for a change!

CharlieGirl 12-21-2010 09:54 PM

The reffing in that game was disgusting. I thought the game was a lot closer than the score indicates, and Canada has to get a lot better than they were tonight. Hopefully we see better on Thursday vs Finland. I really don't like much about this Team Canada, so hopefully that also changes when I see them play.

Apparently Bertilsson is recovering from a slight shoulder injury, did not play tonight, but is expected to play once the tournament starts.

phillyfanatic 12-22-2010 12:24 AM

I am just hoping for a Canada vs. USA Final. Our American friends, if only the World Junior Championships were as big in the states as they are in Canada.

Charliegirl - what event is bigger in Canada?

Olympic Hockey (if applicable)
Stanley Cup
WJC (World Junior Championships)
Superbowl
World Series

Seriously - that is the reality in Canada

Claude28Giroux 12-22-2010 12:29 AM

The world juniors are going to be pretty sick, i live about a minute away from Niagara University and my good buddy will be doing the zamboni at NU for the games. I'm also going to the Check-Russia game there. May go to a medal game if USA is in it.

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hand Banana (Post 29717677)
The world juniors are going to be pretty sick, i live about a minute away from Niagara University and my good buddy will be doing the zamboni at NU for the games. I'm also going to the Check-Russia game there. May go to a medal game if USA is in it.

Envious!

MsWoof 12-22-2010 06:52 AM

Canada doesn't have a strong team at all. They looked so mechanical and slow, especially on the pp.

DeadPhish5858 12-22-2010 07:09 AM

Can't wait. That Gold Medal game was great last year.

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 29719243)
Canada doesn't have a strong team at all. They looked so mechanical and slow, especially on the pp.

Welcome to Dave Cameron hockey. If it's not the trap, it's not hockey.

Blech.

Larry44 12-22-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Didn't see the game. Did Bertilsson play?

CS 12-22-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 29719975)
Didn't see the game. Did Bertilsson play?

Nope. He's being held out nursing a minor injury.

He's expected to play once the tournament actually begins.

Larry44 12-22-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 29719996)
Nope. He's being held out nursing a minor injury.

He's expected to play once the tournament actually begins.

Thanks. I never even had a chance to tape it, and they didn't have names on their shirts so it was hard to tell from the highlights.

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 29720027)
Thanks. I never even had a chance to tape it, and they didn't have names on their shirts so it was hard to tell from the highlights.

Their names were at the bottom of their shirts, and very hard to read.

CS 12-22-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed this as well.

Canada this year may not be the force it's been in the past.

It's good news for myself since I pretty much always cheer for USA first and Sweden second.

CanadianFlyer88 12-22-2010 10:53 AM

*Steve Francis moment*

No team will win a championship with Ryan Ellis as its captain.

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 29721507)
*Steve Francis moment*

No team will win a championship with Ryan Ellis as its captain.

I'm not at all happy with that selection, and the interviews on TSN afterwards spoke volumes.

Quote:

TSN: How does it feel wearing a letter?

Ellis: It's pretty special for myself.

DeHaan: There are a lot of leaders in that room, and it's an honour to be chosen.
Bit of a difference in attitude.

BernieParent 12-22-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 29717615)
I am just hoping for a Canada vs. USA Final. Our American friends, if only the World Junior Championships were as big in the states as they are in Canada.

Charliegirl - what event is bigger in Canada?

Olympic Hockey (if applicable)
Stanley Cup
WJC (World Junior Championships)
Superbowl
World Series

Seriously - that is the reality in Canada

You forgot the Grey Cup and the Briar. And you call yourself a Canadian. Sheesh!

kicksave27 12-22-2010 12:02 PM

I'm from the US and I like the WJC, and the Memorial Cup as well. I just need a flyer to be in one to really enjoy it. Instead of being depressed that the pens or caps have a guy doing well.

Flyers93 12-22-2010 08:31 PM

I think Canada will come together after a few more games, and our team is suited to the North American ice size so we'll hopefully dominate the Euro teams along the boards leading to offense.

My parents are friends with Jaden Schwartz' parents, so I'm definitley excited to watch him play with the 3 other Saskatchewan boys. USA is the def. the favourite, but I think Canada's being a little too doom and gloom with this team. No Eberle, no Hall, no superstars, no offensive juggernauts, waah wah waaaah. I seem to remember the '06 team coming into the tourney with few "known names," and not the Gold Medal favourite, and that team turned to be not only Gold Medalists but a great team. Give these guys a chance and watch them blow the doors off Russia on the day I annually look forward to more than Christmas, Boxing Day. :yo:

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 09:52 PM

I hope Canada can get it together. I'll be at the game tomorrow night vs Finland and I'm hoping to see a heck of a lot better team than we saw vs Sweden.

The US scares the living bejeebus out of me, more than any other team. Canada also has a very tough pool, and getting to the finals is anything but a gimme.

RIPRichardsCarter 12-22-2010 09:55 PM

I'd be much more interested if the Flyers had more prospects involved.

ShawnTHW 12-22-2010 10:34 PM

Ill be in Buffalo from the 26th til the 29th. Going to see Canada vs Russia, USA vs Finland, and Russia vs Sweden. Im ****ing excited.

CharlieGirl 12-22-2010 10:47 PM

It should be fantastic -- the atmosphere will be electric!

CanadianFlyersFan18 12-22-2010 11:25 PM

This is where I really wish Jeff Skinner got sent back to Kitchener for another year and to play in the WJC. He would have been a beauty for Canada, and would help the K-town Rangers a lot in their quest for a Mem-Cup!

ChumpyG 12-23-2010 12:04 AM

I'm looking forward to the WJCs this year, although I haven't read up on the rosters as much as I did the last couple years. The only guys I know will be there are Ryan Johansen (CAN) and Sven Bartschi and Nino (SUI) as they will be missed here in Portland. And as usual I'll be rooting for the USA first, and Switzerland second.

What really baffles me though is all the hype surrounding the eve of the start of the tournament. I mean, there's crazy sales everywhere and everyone is freaking out. And people say folks in the US don't care about Hockey. :)