HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Speculation: 2011 NHL Trade Deadline (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=856372)

Ambassador Of Fun 12-23-2010 06:09 AM

2011 NHL Trade Deadline

The trade deadline is a little over 2 months away. There are pretty much only 2 likely scenarios at the deadline regarding where the Stars are in the standings. Dallas is either in the top 4 with some separation from 9th place and maybe even some separation in the division or they could fall back to earth a little and be 5th-10th but in the thick of the playoff race.

If we are still atop the Pacific at this point, what moves could you see Dallas doing? Besides injuries, I think we will be happy with our forward crew. At the most I guess we might get another right shot center for faceoffs for cheap. As for defense, we'd all like a PMD, but I don't know what sort of financial flexibility we would have to make a move. Less important pieces that we could move to make the finances work are Sutherby (812k) Barch (837k) Daley (2.3M) and Skrastins (1.38M) are upcoming UFAs that sellers would maybe take on to pick up a good draft pick or a prospect. Could a package of Barch + Daley (3.1M) + 1st or Glennie get us a Joni Pitkanen or Tomas Kaberle?

If we have fallen back to earth, do you consider doing something a little more drastic like trading Robidas or Ribeiro for futures and hope that with the budget space cleared we could sign Richards? If the top 4 in the conference have pushed far ahead of Dallas, will Joe trade Richards?

Maybe it's just best to stand pat and pray that someone gets excited with the success of the team and ups their offer. I dunno what's going to happen and it makes my head hurt.

Edit: Barch has another year left on his contract, but still.

Captain Awesome 12-23-2010 06:17 AM

I don't think there's any point in signing Richards if you trade away Ribeiro and Robidas personally. Either way you're not going to make the playoffs the year after, and you're probably around a 20th place team in the league.

Personally, I doubt we do much at the deadline. Maybe if Joe is desperate to keep Richards he swaps one of our guys on a longer than 1 year contract for someone who is a UFA after the season to free up some cap space for Richards. I'd imagine, though, that we aren't going to trade much of anything unless we're acquiring picks for salary of players we don't need. I could see him do some tidying with some of our forwards who are regular scratches and promote a guy like Gagnon to the NHL to be the 13th forward.

If he knows he likely won't get Richards signs and guns for the playoffs anyway, I hope he works a deal for a PMD anyway, still I just don't see our team as a cup contender. The defense is took weak offensively and we know they aren't amazing defensively.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 12-23-2010 01:43 PM

If we're division leaders at Deadline be better trade for a PMD, regardless of financial concerns. And Daley cannot be the defensemen we're sending back, hes definitely been our second best defensemen this year continues to get better.

piqued 12-23-2010 02:24 PM

The problem I see is that the deadline will be about the time where the team runs out of funds. The lenders would have to actively decide to infuse extra cash. There's really no one on the team who makes a significant salary that we can afford to ship out in return if you want to hold on to Daley.

I'm just hoping Richards stays put.

Again, I don't think it really matters if we're a Cup contender. We need to get in the playoffs and win a few games.

Ambassador Of Fun 12-23-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued1457 (Post 29741339)
The problem I see is that the deadline will be about the time where the team runs out of funds. The lenders would have to actively decide to infuse extra cash. There's really no one on the team who makes a significant salary that we can afford to ship out in return if you want to hold on to Daley.

I'm just hoping Richards stays put.

Again, I don't think it really matters if we're a Cup contender. We need to get in the playoffs and win a few games.

At the deadline, adding actual dollars from a rental like Kaberle will not be that much money via proration.

glovesave_35 12-23-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Errettung (Post 29740636)
If we're division leaders at Deadline be better trade for a PMD, regardless of financial concerns. And Daley cannot be the defensemen we're sending back, hes definitely been our second best defensemen this year continues to get better.

Easier said than done.

I agree that Daley has made himself one of those players you'd definitely rather hold onto. As far as additions to the team go the Stars are one of those teams that really will probably look in-house. Depending on injuries and overall level of play from the bottom six forwards Gagnon may be that added right shot; Larsen the added puck mover.

It won't happen, but Wildcat has earned to be playing every night over Niskanen. Enough of this scratching Fistric crap. Fistric getting into a defensive rhythm leading up to the playoffs will determine the team's playoff success or failure to a greater extent than anything Niskanen may bring to the table.

piqued 12-23-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare (Post 29741661)
At the deadline, adding actual dollars from a rental like Kaberle will not be that much money via proration.

True, but it would be over a million dollars for the Kaberle example. That's got to come from somewhere. Maybe they could manage it.

BigG44 12-25-2010 09:12 PM

Someone could probably find the article, but didn't Heika say the lenders really want Dallas to make the playoffs. They were already considering offering more cash to the team at the deadline (believe Phoenix last year at the deadline was used as an example/obviously the NHL not banks were fronting the money though).

Anyway, I thought the hiring of Tony Tavares was going to have an impact on NHL decisions as well .... like convincing lenders that re-signing Richards or making moves to make the team a better playoff contender would be better for everyone involved.

I'd like to see a guy like Joni Pitkanen or James Wisniewski join the team at the deadline. I believe both would cost around $1 million for the last quarter of the season. If they could get another million or so from the banks, another forward might make sense. Maybe a right shot, legit Top 6 scorer for Ribs line. I like Benn and Ott together. Ryder is having a decent year in Boston, but maybe a guy like Antti Miettinen (would cost around $600K I believe) is a good option. He's an upgrade over Brandon Segal playing in the Top 9. Plus, Antti is already familiar with Morrow and Ribeiro. Regardless, he could be more effective with Ott and Burish if the team wanted to keep Benn on Rib's line.

piqued 12-25-2010 11:44 PM

Woah, now you're speaking my language.

Karitimes 12-26-2010 02:10 AM

I like everyone here talking about Pitkanen. Pitkanen is 10X Kaberle IMO. Better physically and positionally. You actually notice him as a standout contributor at both ends when the Canes play. It would be a dream to infuse his 25 plus minutes into the lineup IMO. Like someone mentioned Barch, Daley, pick...great, where does Joe sign.

Nother note, Richards better sign because I'm getting sick of telling people just how sick and misguided the Canadian media is on the subject. Everyone up here seems to think he's gone and soon, but I tend to agree with the logic in this thread and the logic that I'd be more than certain resides in Joe's head (as in at all costs you convince the important people internally that Richards is the guy to lead the team into the future). Everyone wants the guy to be in Dallas, including the man himself. Why not, let's pull the trigger already and stop pretending the funds are an issue. In Joe I trust to get this done. Man knows his stuff.

glovesave_35 12-26-2010 03:30 PM

Who wouldn't love to see Joni Pitkanen on our blueline this year and in the future? The question is what will it cost in terms of assets to acquire and in future dollars as he will become a free agent July 1st. He won't be cheap (or even affordable) on either front.

Frozen Failure 12-26-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glovesave_35 (Post 29779133)
Who wouldn't love to see Joni Pitkanen on our blueline this year and in the future? The question is what will it cost in terms of assets to acquire and in future dollars as he will become a free agent July 1st. He won't be cheap (or even affordable) on either front.

I would not want to see Joni Pitkanen on our blueline.

I think he's a bit lazy.

glovesave_35 12-26-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 29779317)
I would not want to see Joni Pitkanen on our blueline.

I think he's a bit lazy.

Not impressed with his +8 rating on a team that is an overall -9 while playing near 26 minutes per game?...not to mention that he's on pace for 45+ points. I can live with that kind of laziness on my team.

BigG44 12-26-2010 05:20 PM

I'm not sure where to find a list of every trade deadline deal, but I seem to remember the number of 1st round picks going way down in recent years. I don't think it would cost all that much to pick up Miettinen, and I imagine Dallas could trade a guy like Niskanen or Fistric (young with potential) for a defenseman (like Pitkanen). They might have to add something else, but I don't think it would be a major asset like a top pick or top prospect.

BigG44 12-27-2010 10:41 AM

Someone posted this in the main Trade Rumor Thread: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...-rss&FEEDNAME=

NY Post says Dallas could have interest in adding Jamie Langenbrunner. He was one of my favorite as a little kid, and he'd only cost about $700,000 in cash at the deadline. He's probably still a big upgrade over Brandon Segal in the Top 9 despite the bad start to the season (considering that whole team is in the middle of a crisis).

That said, I have no idea what Dallas would have to give up. The writer of the article seems to believe several top teams would be very interested in Langenbrunner. The teams who would join in on the bidding usually have no problem giving up picks. I doubt Dallas would be willing to match picks with a team.

Frozen Failure 12-27-2010 10:58 AM

I'm sure we could offer tangible assets.... you know, like Skrastins and a pick. Maybe Woywitka and a pick.

john skull 12-27-2010 12:52 PM

If the Langs trade happens I'll be pretty happy. I think that gives you pretty good forward depth if we aren't sending a top six guy back, which I think would be the case.

Maybe Joe Corvo, Mark Streit, Kuba, or Kubina could be had? I don't know if any of those are realistic though.

A right shot center who can win face-offs would be nice too though.

edit: I might've also heard something about us being interested in Bergfors?

Frozen Failure 12-27-2010 12:59 PM

Streit will be expensive pick wise. I don't really want Corvo. Kuba or Kubina wouldn't be bad, I don't think.

BigG44 12-27-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 29795972)
I'm sure we could offer tangible assets.... you know, like Skrastins and a pick. Maybe Woywitka and a pick.

I don't know how realistic either of those guys are as trade bait for Langenbrunner. Both are UFA's this summer. They add zero value to a team not making the playoffs. A playoff team might want Skrastins (I think Woywitka is a long shot).

john skull 12-27-2010 01:03 PM

It's gotta be Niskanen or Fistric for Langs, one of those and a small pick and or lower prospect.

Sony Eriksson* 12-27-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frozen Failure (Post 29797225)
Streit will be expensive pick wise. I don't really want Corvo. Kuba or Kubina wouldn't be bad, I don't think.

Streit's value is taking a hard hit with his reoccurring injuries that seem to have plagued him the last couple seasons.

Fly Like a C5 12-27-2010 04:10 PM

Prior to this season Streit didn't have any major issues with injuries. He only missed 15 games over 4 seasons (played more game than guys like Pitkanen, Corvo, Kuba, and Kubina). The real question is how he will recover from his shoulder injury. He's expected to be out through most of March, so he won't have much of an impact on this season. Also keep in mind that he has two more years on his contract with a cap hit $4.1 million per season. Unless there is an issue rehabing his shoulder his value shouldn't take much of a hit.

Sony Eriksson* 12-27-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secretsquirrel (Post 29799791)
Prior to this season Streit didn't have any major issues with injuries. He only missed 15 games over 4 seasons (played more game than guys like Pitkanen, Corvo, Kuba, and Kubina). The real question is how he will recover from his shoulder injury. He's expected to be out through most of March, so he won't have much of an impact on this season. Also keep in mind that he has two more years on his contract with a cap hit $4.1 million per season. Unless there is an issue rehabing his shoulder his value shouldn't take much of a hit.

My bad...i could of swore he was injured last season as well.

TheFatOne 12-27-2010 06:48 PM

Neal - Richards - Eriksson
Morrow - Ribeiro - Benn
Bergenheim - Ott - Segal
Sjostrom - Wandell - Glennie

glovesave_35 12-27-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john skull (Post 29797124)
edit: I might've also heard something about us being interested in Bergfors?

He's supposedly on the block...does anyone know why? Depending on the price I'd like to see him in a Stars uniform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landskronala (Post 29801832)
Neal - Richards - Eriksson
Morrow - Ribeiro - Benn
Bergenheim - Ott - Segal
Sjostrom - Wandell - Glennie

I'm confused.

They're not paying Burish to wear a suit and tie.