HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Steve Eminger (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=856803)

bar down* 12-24-2010 10:32 AM

Steve Eminger
 
Thoughts on his play so far this season?

fiedy88 12-24-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bar down (Post 29759180)
Thoughts on his play so far this season?

i've liked him, really didn't have much to say about him at the start of the season, but i can't recall him making an awful play or pass like both roszival and girardi made last night, also sauer making that horrific clear to the front in ottawa. i got no problem with eminger, he was gunning to hit everyone last night, taking over for what Callahan can't do right now.

OverTheCap 12-24-2010 10:41 AM

I've been pleasantly surprised with his play so far. I thought he was one of our better defensemen last night. I wouldn't mind if he spends some time on the second pairing while DZ gets his act together.

bar down* 12-24-2010 10:41 AM

Yeah man, i was going to say that he hasn't really been brought up that much here on the boards. As a D man not being brought up seems to be a good thing

Cmox 12-24-2010 11:01 AM

He's been hitting like a beast. I approve.

BlueshirtBlitz 12-24-2010 11:04 AM

IMO Eminger has been our most consistent defenseman after his horrendous start.

asparkoflife 12-24-2010 11:06 AM

Dude's been solid as a rock. Im a fan.

Vitto79 12-24-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prusted (Post 29759476)
Dude's been solid as a rock. Im a fan.

i'm rather surprised with his play but I guess he was a top pick and was dealt for a 2nd not to long ago. For Voros it's a steal.............I would bring him back as a 7th D next yr only though. But 700K or so he would be solid.

McD or Vtank needs a spot in the top 6 next yr. I move Rozy for cap space and bump Sauer up

bobbop 12-24-2010 11:28 AM

Defensemen often develop late. This may be a textbook case. Nice effort after a slow start. It could be he's found his place as a bottom pair guy.

Nemchinov13 12-24-2010 11:31 AM

Eminger, along with Sauer, has been a revelation this season. He hasn't made bad decisions this month. That's as much as you can ask from a defenseman.

TheRedressor 12-24-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 29759500)
i'm rather surprised with his play but I guess he was a top pick and was dealt for a 2nd not to long ago. For Voros it's a steal.............I would bring him back as a 7th D next yr only though. But 700K or so he would be solid.

McD or Vtank needs a spot in the top 6 next yr. I move Rozy for cap space and bump Sauer up

Actually dealt for a 1st!

Bluenote13 12-24-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 29759452)
IMO Eminger has been our most consistent defenseman after his horrendous start.

During camp I must have been the only one around here who was seeing what the coaches saw. If anyone cares to really take a look at preseason footage, even though his plus/minus was not great, he was the only Dman not named Staal or Girardi that was hitting and playing physical in the crease. In the 8-5 loss to Ottawa he was -1, but tough as nails in his own zone, I knew Torts was lovin it. Meanwhile people here were calling him the worst Dman in the league.

And I remember being a fan of his during that 2002 draft year(we traded our pick for Bure, what a great deal, kept us from getting Alex Semin). He's very mobile, getting him for Voros, a guy who does nothing right, is a steal.

BlueshirtBlitz 12-24-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 29759995)
During camp I must have been the only one around here who was seeing what the coaches saw. If anyone cares to really take a look at preseason footage, even though his plus/minus was not great, he was the only Dman not named Staal or Girardi that was hitting and playing physical in the crease. In the 8-5 loss to Ottawa he was -1, but tough as nails in his own zone, I knew Torts was lovin it. Meanwhile people here were calling him the worst Dman in the league.

And I remember being a fan of his during that 2002 draft year(we traded our pick for Bure, what a great deal, kept us from getting Alex Semin). He's very mobile, getting him for Voros, a guy who does nothing right, is a steal.

Oh the trade is definitely a fleecing. And in preseason, and the first few games of the season when the entire team was playing like trash, his actual defense did not look nearly as solid as it did now. He was constantly going out of position to hit and blowing coverage. He seems to have learned he can still hit hard while actually playing defense. IIRC last night he smashed Hedman and knocked the puck loose.

ocarina 12-24-2010 12:03 PM

Happily surprised with his play. I was dissapointed when we got him, as the only positive thing I heard was his decent low shot. Didn't think he'd be this physical, I heard he was as soft as they came.

Bluenote13 12-24-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 29760146)
Oh the trade is definitely a fleecing. And in preseason, and the first few games of the season when the entire team was playing like trash, his actual defense did not look nearly as solid as it did now. He was constantly going out of position to hit and blowing coverage. He seems to have learned he can still hit hard while actually playing defense. IIRC last night he smashed Hedman and knocked the puck loose.

You mean it took time for a new guy to find his footing?? You don't say?? :sarcasm:

Patience. Does anyone seem top have patience anymore?

I blame the internet/electronic gadget generation, no patience and no attention span, hope they don't kill me texting while driving.......

Vitto79 12-24-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRedressor (Post 29759943)
Actually dealt for a 1st!

holy crap yea it was a late 1st if i remember. What were they smoking?,lol...............let's give the guy credit though. We were all worried about the 3 rd pairing and they have been a pleasant surprise.

BlueshirtBlitz 12-24-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 29760202)
You mean it took time for a new guy to find his footing?? You don't say?? :sarcasm:

Patience. Does anyone seem top have patience anymore?

I blame the internet/electronic gadget generation, no patience and no attention span, hope they don't kill me texting while driving.......

When you've never been able to consistently stick with a team, it's pretty safe to say if you look as bad as he did he won't stick.

But he did.

msv957 12-24-2010 12:10 PM

Eminger is a solid NHL defenseman that can fill in a play top 4 pairing minutes and not look out of place or he can play top 6 pairing minutes and do quite well.

There was a reason he was a high first round pick. He has good size, real good skater and has some grit to his game.

Having Eminger as a bottom pairing defenseman just shows how deep and talented this Ranger defense really is.

Fitzy 12-24-2010 12:14 PM

I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.

Bluenote13 12-24-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 29760230)
When you've never been able to consistently stick with a team, it's pretty safe to say if you look as bad as he did he won't stick.

But he did.

He was only 26 coming into this camp. And he wasn't gonna be a 20 minute a game Dman, he's a very serviceable 5th or 6th cause you can stick him in all situations.

Again, you can't really look at just the negatives, which I admit were there. But that 3rd period against Ottawa, he was a beast, I can't believe NO ONE on this board even mentioned it. But Torts was loving it, then meanwhile the next day everyone was saying that he was gonna be cut or sent down.

NYRangers77 12-24-2010 12:24 PM

Lol didnt think I would be saying this when we got him but he has been very solid, physical and is not making many mistakes this season.

Janerixon 12-24-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 29760330)
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.

Eminger has defintely found a home, he will get a pay increase but not nothing insane and he will probably want to stay here.

I expect Gilroy to be moved before the end of the season as he will not be brought back next season and I can't imagine he would want to come back, especially for a pay cut. Rozy could very well be moved this off-season, I would love to try and deal him for Tyutin and a mid pick.

Staal-Eminger
Tyutin-Girardi
Del Zotto-Sauer

that would be a pretty nice defense to have to start next season, Eminger will be getting top 4 minutes, but the Tyutin-Girardi pair should be going up against teams top lines

manifesty 12-24-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 29760330)
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.

someone's going to take on rozy's contract?

i agree with what's been said though, definitely done a pretty solid job on D.

RangerBoy 12-24-2010 12:33 PM

Washington took John Carlson with the #1 pick acquired for Steve Eminger. Mike Sullivan coached Eminger in TB. Torts was already gone when Eminger played for TB. Sullivan recommended the Rangers acquire Eminger who can both sides as a righty shot.

NYR Viper 12-24-2010 12:34 PM

All of this while playing on his opposite side.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.