HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Teams upset about non-cancellation of games due to weather (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=857405)

LadyStanley 12-26-2010 08:56 PM

Teams upset about non-cancellation of games due to weather
 
RealKyper
#NHL call on not cancelling games because of the storm have teams upset. Near empty buildings have clubs losing significant dollars tonite



5000 and change in NJ.

Not to mention pissed STH who may have missed the game.


AHL canceled Worcester-Portland game (rescheduled for 1/18).

MountainHawk 12-26-2010 09:07 PM

NHL has the best policy here. Protect the integrity of the schedule, who cares if it costs the teams a few thousand bucks? Unlike the NFL who severely damaged the Eagles chances at earning the bye by forcing them to play a fully rested Dallas team on 4 days rest next week, just to make sure NBC and the NFL can make the maximum amount of money.

Islanders and Devils are doing the right thing offering ticket exchanges as well.

What the Faulk 12-26-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 29789667)
NHL has the best policy here. Protect the integrity of the schedule, who cares if it costs the teams a few thousand bucks? Unlike the NFL who severely damaged the Eagles chances at earning the bye by forcing them to play a fully rested Dallas team on 4 days rest next week, just to make sure NBC and the NFL can make the maximum amount of money.

Islanders and Devils are doing the right thing offering ticket exchanges as well.

:laugh:

And the Canes offered exchanges as well. 11k still showed up though

puckguy11 12-26-2010 09:42 PM

As a Vikings fan it's mind boggling the amount of weather delays this season. Still, the NHL is in the right: The teams, refs, and broadcasters are able to make the trip. If the fans can't make the trip, refund the money.

Magnum Crackoff 12-26-2010 09:44 PM

I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires. Hockey games are played indoors so the only way a game should be cancelled is if a team can't get to the arena due to X reasons. Even with the mightiest of blizzard in Winnipeg or Quebec City, the arena would be jam packed, especially versus Montreal and Toronto.

dkehler 12-26-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum Crackoff (Post 29790944)
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires. Hockey games are played indoors so the only way a game should be cancelled is if a team can't get to the arena due to X reasons. Even with the mightiest of blizzard in Winnipeg or Quebec City, the arena would be jam packed, especially versus Montreal and Toronto.

Well, that's not exactly true. There was one game in Winnipeg that was affected by a severe blizzard. Only around 6,000 were able to make it that night.

Magnum Crackoff 12-26-2010 10:11 PM

:laugh: ok I'll give you that one...!

Still at almost a 10/1 population ratio in favor of Long Island the final result is 3000 in Long Island versus 6000 in Winnipeg.

Realm 12-26-2010 10:13 PM

this is why all the teams should be playing in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc....:sarcasm:

LadyStanley 12-26-2010 10:17 PM

AHL postponing Monday game in Springfield.

htpwn 12-26-2010 10:21 PM

I don't really have a problem with the games going ahead. The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey. If the fans have some difficultly, advise them to take public transit if possible or put on some snow tires, leave early, and drive to the game. The only reason I would like to see a game canceled due to weather is if it is literally impossible to drive. The kind of stuff that comes around once a decade. Something like the the ice storm of 1998.

NODLR 12-26-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 29791804)
I don't really have a problem with the games going ahead. The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey. If the fans have some difficultly, advise them to take public transit if possible or put on some snow tires, leave early, and drive to the game. The only reason I would like to see a game canceled due to weather is if it is literally impossible to drive. The kind of stuff that comes around once a decade. Something like the the ice storm of 1998.

Habs still played, we (the military) got some free tickets and went to the game.

LadyStanley 12-26-2010 11:00 PM

Guessing that some teams may have insurance to cover these kinds of losses. (But that can add up.)

Devils Dominion 12-26-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 29791804)
I don't really have a problem with the games going ahead. The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey. If the fans have some difficultly, advise them to take public transit if possible or put on some snow tires, leave early, and drive to the game. The only reason I would like to see a game canceled due to weather is if it is literally impossible to drive. The kind of stuff that comes around once a decade. Something like the the ice storm of 1998.

In New Jersey, there was a state of emergency issued earlier in the day due to the blizzard that is still going on.
Everyone was urged to stay off the roads unless they are emergency responders.
The entire bus system was suspended and trains were limited and heavily delayed.

I give credit to the 5k fans that showed up, I ate my tix, it's just not worth it and plus I was told to stay home by our state officials.

This storm is crippling here not only because of the snow but with the strong winds that are gusting 50mph+ regularly which makes visibility blinding.

Street Hawk 12-26-2010 11:16 PM

Risky.....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 (Post 29792701)
In New Jersey, there was a state of emergency issued earlier in the day due to the blizzard that is still going on.
Everyone was urged to stay off the roads unless they are emergency responders.
The entire bus system was suspended and trains were limited and heavily delayed.

I give credit to the 5k fans that showed up, I ate my tix, it's just not worth it and plus I was told to stay home by our state officials.

This storm is crippling here not only because of the snow but with the strong winds that are gusting 50mph+ regularly which makes visibility blinding.

Too risky for fans to go out and watch the game. Shocked at the 8K that made it to the NJ and NYI games.

From a team point of view, you worry about the home team players for the Devils and Isles. All 22 guys on the roster, plus coaches, trainers, managers, etc. have to drive home in the storm. Could be very dangerous.

But, the Leafs and Habs were already in town, so I can understand them going ahead with the game.

bodybreak 12-26-2010 11:19 PM

Katie Strang (Islanders beat writer for Newsday) tweeted this morning that the NYI-Habs game was going to go as planned because both teams were already in Uniondale and that they had to change the officials assigned to the game because of weather.

leoleo3535 12-26-2010 11:29 PM

If the NHL was cancelling games due to severe snow storms, road conditions etc. then half of the Oilers home games would be cancelled every year.

mygameworn 12-26-2010 11:39 PM

I only heard the Isles complain about not getting the game postponed. Did other teams in the area complain as well? I could see Wanger getting upset because of the walk ups and what not.

Bridgeport played their game this afternoon at 3pm with no problems.

kdb209 12-26-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum Crackoff (Post 29790944)
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires. Hockey games are played indoors so the only way a game should be cancelled is if a team can't get to the arena due to X reasons. Even with the mightiest of blizzard in Winnipeg or Quebec City, the arena would be jam packed, especially versus Montreal and Toronto.

The vast majority of people on Long Island and NYC do not have snow tires.

Major snowfall is relatively rare and it usually melts to horrible slush within a day or two.

None Shall Pass 12-27-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum Crackoff (Post 29790944)
I agree with the NHL here, even if there is a blizzard, fans can still attend, just put on your winter tires.

:laugh:

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.

The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system. Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

leoleo3535 12-27-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by None Shall Pass (Post 29793655)
:laugh:

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.
The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system. Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

Welcome to winter....sounds like a regular event leaving a game in Alberta or northern BC.

CorbeauNoir 12-27-2010 01:03 AM

I do (vaguely) recall a few years ago a game was cancelled and was rescheduled to the end of the season - Avs-Flames, I think. But I think the primary reason was because the Flames couldn't land in Denver for the game.

LadyStanley 12-27-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir (Post 29793959)
I do (vaguely) recall a few years ago a game was cancelled and was rescheduled to the end of the season - Avs-Flames, I think. But I think the primary reason was because the Flames couldn't land in Denver for the game.

Sharks @ Avs game about five years postponed a day (the Sharks played three games in three days -- players had to vote for that as it's not allowed in CBA) as they couldn't land in Denver (were in Colorado Springs).

Sharks game (hosting Wings) postponed as nearby river was at flood stage and it wasn't safe to get to arena. (Only NHL game to be rained out in league history.)

LadyStanley 12-27-2010 02:10 AM

mirtle
Wow ... Leafs apparently stranded at 2:30 a.m. near Newark, four hours after game ended. RT @Bozie42: Stilllll on thiSs bus not movinggggg

htpwn 12-27-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 29794321)
mirtle
Wow ... Leafs apparently stranded at 2:30 a.m. near Newark, four hours after game ended. RT @Bozie42: Stilllll on thiSs bus not movinggggg

Came to post this. As I said earlier:

"The game is indoor, the teams can make it to the rink, the broadcasters can make it to the rink, so let's play some hockey..."


Seeing how they are having trouble getting back to the hotel, obviously the snowfall is crippling things more then I thought it would. I still don't know if I think the game should be out right canceled but if the roads are that bad, I'll change my tune a bit from my previous post, and say that I wouldn't have an issue if it were canceled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 (Post 29792701)
In New Jersey, there was a state of emergency issued earlier in the day due to the blizzard that is still going on.
Everyone was urged to stay off the roads unless they are emergency responders.
The entire bus system was suspended and trains were limited and heavily delayed.

I give credit to the 5k fans that showed up, I ate my tix, it's just not worth it and plus I was told to stay home by our state officials.

This storm is crippling here not only because of the snow but with the strong winds that are gusting 50mph+ regularly which makes visibility blinding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by None Shall Pass (Post 29793655)
:laugh:

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.

The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system.
Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

I know, I've driven in white out conditions before to get to a game. 2 and a half hour drive to get to Guelph, Ontario for an OHL game but totally worth it.:yo:

I suppose you have to forgive us here in Canada for expecting a little much. Several of the people in my neighbourhood found it pretty amusing with what was happening in Heathrow last week. The snowfall was nothing but it crippled England for quite a bit of time. This storm is obviously quite a bit worse but still, one comes to expect things like public transit still works and such. We do have to remember I guess that we probably spend more on snow removal and the like then any other country in the world. For instance, Pearson Airport (Toronto) is considered one of the best in the world in dealing with snow and ice and the problem with public transit dealing with a bad winter weather was mostly fixed a couple years ago when the government invested in new switches for our heavy rail network (they were freezing in place believe it or not, preventing trains from being able to switch tracks in places).

Anyways, if you guys have any trouble digging out, you could always take a tip from us here in Toronto...

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/ima...d40163a99.jpeg

Call in the army! (It's still a regular punchline in Canadian comedy, 11 years later)

gmyx 12-27-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by None Shall Pass (Post 29793655)
:laugh:

I'm in New Jersey right now, on the coastline ("Shore", if you'd prefer), and between the 40-50mph wind and heavy snow (12+ inches so far), winter tires wouldn't do anything.

My friend's 4WD Jeep got stuck ten feet from the driveway, and we spent an hour digging him out.

The hard part for the Devils tonight is their biggest convenience, the public transit system. Great everyday except snow days, then it grinds to a halt. Plus the state of emergency. The fact that 5K actually showed is incredible, but considering that averages dictate that apprx. 9K more should've showed up, I'd be angry if I owned a team too. Encouraging people to show up to a game when you can't drive more than 10mph even semi-safely is reckless.

Perspective is everything... that sounds like the big storms we get here in Ottawa every year - 3 to 4 times! I can see it being a problem for those not used to it. I remember in 2006 getting two unusual 20 inch storms - and I needed to get to the airport the mornign after. Again perspective, I had no issue and arrived on time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.