HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Rumor: Sharks interested in NJs Langenbrunner (UPD traded to DAL) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=857461)

LadyStanley 12-26-2010 10:42 PM

Sharks interested in NJs Langenbrunner (UPD traded to DAL)

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devil...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Wings, Sharks and Dallas, plus "every leading team" apparently interested in pending UFA Langenbrunner, plus Arnott may be on the shopping lists for some GMs.

Sharks would need to clear some cap room to acquire Langenbrunner.

Kitten Mittons 12-26-2010 10:45 PM

Can he play defense?

SJeasy 12-26-2010 10:45 PM

Just FYI, capgeek has Langenbrunner at $2.8mil and he has an NTC. It may all be for naught if Langenbrunner stands on the NTC.

USF Shark 12-26-2010 10:46 PM

I've always loved him as a player. He'd be a great addition to any team as he's so versatile as a player.

Kitten Mittons 12-26-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 29792373)
Just FYI, capgeek has Langenbrunner at $2.8mil and he has an NTC. It may all be for naught if Langenbrunner stands on the NTC.

I don't get what they're saying here:

Quote:

Langenbrunner's salary is a now-bargain $2.8 million, meaning only a $700G cap hit for an acquiring team. A move to a contender might help contract negotiations next summer for the leading goal-scorer in the 2003 playoffs.
700k caphit? How's that possible?

SactoShark 12-26-2010 10:51 PM

That must be at the deadline... not now?

Gilligans Island 12-26-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhye (Post 29792436)

If dealt at the tradeline, that's the prorated amount left for the remainder of the season.

Why would we want him, though? Isn't a Center? Don't need another one of those

Edit: nevermind, he's a RW, I guess. Not a need but could be a decent fill-in. Rather go for the #2/3 dman we need

rangerssharks414 12-26-2010 10:51 PM

I don't read the New York Post. Most of the rumors they have in that paper are really dumb. Same goes for the New York Daily News. I don't get either of those papers for a reason.

ChompChomp 12-26-2010 10:55 PM

I would love Langenbrunner on this team, any move that adds more heart and leadership to this team is welcome.

Having said that, we still need to shore up the defense corps. I don't know if he's available, but I personally would love to replace one of Huskins or Wallin (probably Huskins given DW's crush on Wallin) with pending UFA Jan Hejda. Doesn't add to the offensive game, but helps lock down the defensive end.

lol3rdround 12-26-2010 11:16 PM

pretty much every Devils fan I've seen thinks Langenbrunner is a joke this season, hopefully they don't overpay for him

SJeasy 12-26-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhye (Post 29792436)

If the Sharks had a player at $2mil going the other way, that would be $500k of cap hit and the Sharks would only have to compensate for $200k. Writers frequently omit the part of the story that says that the cap hit on a player coming back is also reduced. From the looks of the story, it appears that the writer is speculating. he also didn't bother to look up JL's NTC (no mention of it although he mentioned Arnott's).

Essentially Langenbrunner would be a Seto replacement. IMO, the differential is negligible at this point of Langenbrunner's career. Plus, Seto was reasonably visible in last year's playoffs, producing at a rate that Langenbrunner optimistically would be expected to produce.

Deadline trading for leadership is a joke. If the leadership isn't already in the Sharks room, bringing someone in won't make a difference. Generally, deadline mercenaries are there for one thing, to bring skill and experience. They are too new to the team to make a difference in the room. That is from player quotes, not my own speculation.

Mafoofoo 12-26-2010 11:51 PM

Even a braindead monkey could tell you the Sharks need defense. Why acquire more forward help? :shakehead

WTFetus 12-26-2010 11:51 PM

But...Cheechoo...:handclap:

Kitten Mittons 12-26-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 29793312)
But...Cheechoo...:handclap:

... pees blood.

WTFetus 12-26-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhye (Post 29793338)
... pees blood.

So does PattyIce but we still love him. ;)

Kitten Mittons 12-27-2010 12:05 AM

Speak for yourself.

I'm sorry

Jesus Toews* 12-27-2010 12:07 AM

Eh. I guess he'd be a decent Ferriero replacement for the playoffs but not that significant of an upgrade at this stage of his career. And I wouldn't put too much stock into Devils fans' opinions of him; with the season they're having it's understandable that Langs isn't in his usual form and fans always need a scapegoat. A second-pairing, right-handed puck-moving defenseman should be at the top of DW's wish list but if he manages to swing that and has a deal for Langenbrunner in place I'm all for it.

hockeyball 12-27-2010 12:12 AM

Why? We don't need him, and if you do just get Nolan for free.

Not like the guy is a spring chicken.

In a package deal is one thing, but the problem is there is no one on the Devil's defense wise that does us any good.

Kitten Mittons 12-27-2010 12:15 AM

Well if Doug can't get a defenseman, it would add some nice depth. For once, you have three legit scoring lines; and Thornton gets a right-handed shooter.

Heatley-Thornton-Langenbruburburbubrnnnenrner
Marleau-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Clowe-Couture-Ferriero
Mitchell-Nichol-McGinn
MACINTYRE!!!

WTFetus 12-27-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhye (Post 29793555)
Well if Doug can't get a defenseman, it would add some nice depth. For once, you have three legit scoring lines; and Thornton gets a right-handed shooter.

Heatley-Thornton-Langenbruburburbubrnnnenrner
Marleau-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Clowe-Couture-Ferriero
Mitchell-Nichol-McGinn
MACINTYRE!!!

Put in Mayers instead of Stonehands McGee.

Eh, actually replace Mitchell. McGinn fits the fourth line grinder role better.

Kitten Mittons 12-27-2010 12:23 AM

Mayers is useless. McGinn might wake up one day. Mitchell is fast - at least something.

WTFetus 12-27-2010 12:24 AM

But Mitchell has no hands. At least Mayers is decent along the boards.

Kitten Mittons 12-27-2010 12:33 AM

He scored 4 times as many goals as Mayers did this season.

WTFetus 12-27-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidhye (Post 29793752)
He scored 4 times as many goals as Mayers did this season.

Yeah but at least two were from playing on the first line (and the others probably on the 3rd). Plus the Sharks need a token black.

Sharks4Life 12-27-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 29793823)
Yeah but at least two were from playing on the first line (and the others probably on the 3rd). Plus the Sharks need a token black.

lol this