HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Oakley Visor Keeps Fogging... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=857513)

hitmanjat 12-27-2010 04:06 AM

Oakley Visor Keeps Fogging...
 
Hey Guys,

So recently i purchased an Oakley 2.0 visor, this visor comes down pretty far just above my lip. Anyways i am haven nothing but problems with it fogging when i go to the bench. I purchased the AFR solution when i got it and have used it on the front and back with a micro fibre towel since i got it, its not helping at all.

I do sweat a lot and my head does get hot, but previous to this I was using a Bauer RBE V Shield and was using the old dish soap method and it never ever fogged up.

The Oakley only fogs when i go to the bench, once i go back on the ice i cant see anything and then it clears up as I skate.

I am contemplating usiing dish soap on it as it worked for my Bauer however I don't want tio ruin the visor as the clarity is awesome (when it is clear).

Any suggestions ? Anyone used dish/shampoo on their oakley and not experience cracking over a long term?

Thanks,

hitmanjat 12-27-2010 11:36 PM

Anyone use dish soap on their oakleys?

Pointteen 12-27-2010 11:45 PM

I've never used a visor, but I know people who have used shampoo on it.

ThorNton Apologist 12-28-2010 01:39 AM

I thought oakleys were famous for being fog proof?

Pierre Gotye 12-28-2010 10:43 AM

Don't use dish soaps. They have detergent in them which is gritty. I have used soft-soap on mine and it does cut out the fogging, but does have some detergent in it as well so it can scratch it.

Just go buy some anti-fog spray from somewhere. A good place to look is at a ski/snowboard store, but even your local hockey store might carry some anti-fog for visors.

budster 12-29-2010 12:01 AM

Murphy's oil soap works great for me, or baby oil. I tested a bunch of different things with a tea kettle. If you're interested you can see the results.

hitmanjat 12-29-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 29832660)
Murphy's oil soap works great for me, or baby oil. I tested a bunch of different things with a tea kettle. If you're interested you can see the results.

thanks never thought of using baby oil only concern is will it ruin the Oakley coating ?

budster 12-29-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritbrothers11 (Post 29835421)
thanks never thought of using baby oil only concern is will it ruin the Oakley coating ?

No idea, I have an Itech

Pez68 12-30-2010 04:16 PM

Did you buy the Oakley AFR spray? I give the shield a couple squirts of this before every skate and very, very rarely does it fog up.

hitmanjat 12-30-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pez68 (Post 29864449)
Did you buy the Oakley AFR spray? I give the shield a couple squirts of this before every skate and very, very rarely does it fog up.

Yes i do before every ice time, it only happens when on the bench usually after i have warmed up, my head gets hot, i sweat a lot, but it drives me crazy that my 40 dollar bauer shield would never fog up with dish soap. The clarity on the oakley is great though so i guess its a trade off

bohlmeister 12-30-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritbrothers11 (Post 29865967)
Yes i do before every ice time, it only happens when on the bench usually after i have warmed up, my head gets hot, i sweat a lot, but it drives me crazy that my 40 dollar bauer shield would never fog up with dish soap. The clarity on the oakley is great though so i guess its a trade off

I have the same problem. I end up playing half of my shift with my visor tilted up like Getzlaf during the Olympics. Mine used to be awesome, then I sent my equipment in to get cleaned. They cleaned my helmet (I assumed they would have taken it out) and it has fogged up ever since.

The spray has helped a little, but it still isn't as good as it was brand new. Brand new I never had an issue. I just ended up buying another one.

hitmanjat 12-30-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohlmeister (Post 29866336)
I have the same problem. I end up playing half of my shift with my visor tilted up like Getzlaf during the Olympics. Mine used to be awesome, then I sent my equipment in to get cleaned. They cleaned my helmet (I assumed they would have taken it out) and it has fogged up ever since.

The spray has helped a little, but it still isn't as good as it was brand new. Brand new I never had an issue. I just ended up buying another one.

This one is brand new i just got it a few weeks ago.

bohlmeister 12-30-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritbrothers11 (Post 29866358)
This one is brand new i just got it a few weeks ago.

I'd take it back. Where did you buy it from? They should exchange it if you haven't don any damage to it.

hitmanjat 12-30-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohlmeister (Post 29866771)
I'd take it back. Where did you buy it from? They should exchange it if you haven't don any damage to it.

I bought it online so no can do

Nichenew 12-31-2010 11:59 PM

Go to Sport Chek and buy the visor guard spray. It works wonders on hockey visors and ski/snowboard goggles.

Make sure you don't over coat it or it will make water marks on your visor.

MikeC44 01-01-2011 12:57 AM

Is there enough space between the visor and the helmet for air to get through?
I had to drill new holes in my Bauer 4500 because my Oakley was too 'tight' to my face and there wasn't any room between the visor and the helmet.

hitmanjat 01-01-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC44 (Post 29898419)
Is there enough space between the visor and the helmet for air to get through?
I had to drill new holes in my Bauer 4500 because my Oakley was too 'tight' to my face and there wasn't any room between the visor and the helmet.

Yes there is i have it mounted similar to the way the pros wear it there is about an inch between the top of the helmet and the visor.

Never heard of visor guard but worried about runiing the oakley coating.

10 ft. pole 01-03-2011 08:48 PM

Urine works really well.

Sony Eriksson* 01-04-2011 12:55 PM

This **** is a godsend! I play with prescription glasses and they have a clear coat and found other anti-fog sprays stip the coating off. So i did some research and ordered a sample (free) from their website and this stuff work like a champ! No fog ups and no residue.

http://www.motosolutions.com/fogtech.html

http://www.motosolutions.com/fogtech_reviews.html
Quote:

–Ice and Roller Hockey



David DeSmith from Yarmouth, Maine, USA "It's a real godsend.."

'deadzone' from epinions.com: "This stuff works ridiculously well."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.