HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Jordin Tootoo voluntarily enters NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse Program - Out Indefinitely (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=857671)

hido 12-27-2010 03:30 PM

Jordin Tootoo voluntarily enters NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse Program - Out Indefinitely
 
per twitter

JoshuaCooper:

From the NHL: NASHVILLE PREDATORS’ TOOTOO ENTERSNHL/NHLPA SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND BEHAVIORAL HEALTH PROGRAM

Jonesey 12-27-2010 03:32 PM

Just read it on the main fourm.

Best of luck to him.

hido 12-27-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trade Legwand (Post 29800108)

Best of luck to him.

As someone that has had to deal with this on several sides of my family, +1 to this.

Webersmashpuck 12-27-2010 03:45 PM

I wish Toots the best, he has been great to the fans and kids over the years here in Nashville and deserves our support.

cleangene 12-27-2010 03:47 PM

As tough as you are Toots, I know you can outhit your toughest opponent yet. Thoughts are with you 2 2.

Jonesey 12-27-2010 03:52 PM

Poile on Tootoo
Published
JOSH COOPER, The Tennessean
Published on December 27, 2010
in Team News
. 0 Comments

A sta*te*ment from Nash*vi*lle Gene*ral Mana*ger David Poile on Jor*din Tootoo:

“We offer Jor*din the full sup*port of his team*ma*tes, coaches and the orga*ni*za*tion. There is no time*ta*ble for his return and we will have no further com*ment at this time.”

Roman Yoshi 12-27-2010 04:06 PM

Can't get mad at him. There are more important things than hockey. Best of luck toots.

Soundgarden 12-27-2010 04:08 PM

Wow, best of luck to him. I have a few friends with substance abuse problems, no walk in the park.

droller* 12-27-2010 04:36 PM

Good for him to voluntarily enter the program. HUGE step to recognize you need help to quit.

Does anyone know what it's for? I'm assuming alcohol since there is drug testing for all NHL players?

GL Toots, been a fan ever since I saw you in the WJC!

Drake744 12-27-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by droller (Post 29800929)
Good for him to voluntarily enter the program. HUGE step to recognize you need help to quit.

Does anyone know what it's for? I'm assuming alcohol since there is drug testing for all NHL players?

GL Toots, been a fan ever since I saw you in the WJC!

We all know what happens when you assume, but if I had to make an assumption I would say alcohol. He has a reputation of being quite a bar-hopper (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with people doing that) and if I remember correctly, back several years ago his brother committed suicide while dealing with alcohol problems. Not really an assumption on my part but an educated guess. Either way good for him.

MarkMM 12-27-2010 09:29 PM

With what happened to his brother (he actually wears the number 22 in honour of his brother, 22 was his brother's # because he was older and got it first iirc), and with all he's been through to get to this point, you got to be praying for a good outcome on this.

To a lot of Canadian youths in the North, especially the Inuit and other First Nations where there is an unfortunate level of substance abuse problems, he's held as a role model and all the best to him. Poile, Trotz and the new ownership strike me as the classy kind of people who will handle this with patience and the right priorities.

hockey diva 12-27-2010 09:52 PM

Having danced with this particular devil, I hope Jordin will take this opportunity to get his life on the right track.

sparkle twin 12-28-2010 12:10 AM

Good luck to Tootoo. I hope he's able to get himself back on the right track.

eastbayjoker 12-28-2010 12:32 AM

A sharks fan here, wishing your boy Tootoo best of luck fighting this battle. Clearly he's a tough guy who has been through a TON.

MrJoshua 12-28-2010 07:34 AM

Good luck, Tootoo! I have a great deal of admiration for people who will stand up and recognize their problems, and seek the help they need to beat them. I've seen people wait until they've wrecked their lives, so it's good that he's being proactive about this.

AdsSabresRule 12-28-2010 09:28 AM

Toots was my favorite player when he played those seasons in the Ads uni. Good luck. He'll be a Pred for life, I know he must be very popular with the organization and fans.

golfmade 12-28-2010 09:52 AM

I've always had a lot of respect for Tootoo and wish him and his family the best while he goes through this. It's a testament to his character that he entered the program voluntarily.

Nice to see fans of other teams wishing him well too.

Best of luck Jordin!

Soundgarden 12-28-2010 10:44 AM

Do you guys think that this is the reason he was a healthy scratch a few games ago?

predlady 12-28-2010 12:42 PM

Not only do the American Indians and the Alaskan natives have trouble with substance abuse because of their social and economic plight, but also, many Asian peoples, which include some Alaskan and American Indian peoples, are allergic to alcohol. I worked with a half Japanese girl many years ago who would turn beet red from head to toe and do some very strange things with less than an ounce of booze of any kind. I wish Jordin the best and send love and strength to him in order for him to beat this devil, because that is what it is. I know from personal experience that many,many people, me being one of them, cannot have 'just one'.

melfunction 12-28-2010 07:50 PM

In addition to the sensitivity to alcohol that predslady mentioned, addictions specialists who believe that there is a gene related to addiction also believe that said gene is much more prevalent in the Native American/Inuit community.

In between whatever addictions may exist, Tootoo's family background, and the tragedy he has been through in his life, it is no surprise that he found himself in this situation. I really hope this is a positive experience for him and that he gets himself cleaned up both physically and mentally.

It's likely that Jordin Tootoo was asked to "voluntarily" check himself in after failing drug tests. That's how the NHL works in these situations, it's all about image. Instead of people getting fired, they're "asked to step down", for example.

Either way, regardless of the technicalities of this situation, I'm very happy that he'll be getting help and wish him the best. He'll be missed, that's for sure.

GOCBJ61 12-28-2010 08:05 PM

Jackets fan....best of luck to Tootoo. Hopefully he can overcome and get his life in order..much more to life than hockey.

token grinder 12-29-2010 09:44 AM

i finally heard the story about all this...and all i have to say about it now is jordin is very lucky to have a coach and an organization that cares about him to the point of sacrificing on ice success to make sure jordin does not have a terrible accident. i am not so sure other org. would be so helpful to a 4th line grinder.

ZombPred 12-29-2010 02:35 PM

Get better Tootz! We wanna see you back on the ice soon!

Joe T Choker 12-29-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiralyPred (Post 29843231)
Get better Tootz! We wanna see you back on the ice soon!

it'll be a while

triggrman 12-29-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melfunction (Post 29826508)
In addition to the sensitivity to alcohol that predslady mentioned, addictions specialists who believe that there is a gene related to addiction also believe that said gene is much more prevalent in the Native American/Inuit community.

In between whatever addictions may exist, Tootoo's family background, and the tragedy he has been through in his life, it is no surprise that he found himself in this situation. I really hope this is a positive experience for him and that he gets himself cleaned up both physically and mentally.

It's likely that Jordin Tootoo was asked to "voluntarily" check himself in after failing drug tests. That's how the NHL works in these situations, it's all about image. Instead of people getting fired, they're "asked to step down", for example.

Either way, regardless of the technicalities of this situation, I'm very happy that he'll be getting help and wish him the best. He'll be missed, that's for sure.

I don't know if I would say it was "likely" it's possible yes I don't know if likely fits here though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.