HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Five Reasons We Need a Kings-Rangers Winter Classic (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=859861)

TonySCV 01-02-2011 12:15 PM

Five Reasons We Need a Kings-Rangers Winter Classic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-302084

"As a fourth Winter Classic passes us by and ice guru Dan Craig begins to prepare for the Heritage Classic in Calgary next month, the next few weeks will consist of thinking towards who we'll be watching next New Year's Day.

Pierre LeBrun said the Linc in Philadelphia is the current frontrunner for the 2012 game. But we favor another location and matchup.

While Wyshynski may desire to see the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers go neutral and battle it out on the frozen ice rink of Lambeau Field in Wisconsin, I think we should see those teams on New Year's Day 2012, but not in the land of cheeseheads, but the home of the NFL's New York Giants and Jets.

After the jump, five reasons why..."

Sydor25 01-02-2011 01:16 PM

I would love to see a Western team in the Winter Classic, but I don't see it happening.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 01-02-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 29924214)
I would love to see a Western team in the Winter Classic, but I don't see it happening.

I agree, unfortunately. It would be nice to see an Outdoor game + Kings on 24/7.

JT Dutch* 01-02-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss (Post 29924355)
I agree, unfortunately. It would be nice to see an Outdoor game + Kings on 24/7.

... The Winter Classic might be good for the NHL, but it was a lousy game, horrific ice, and the coverage was absolute ****. I couldn't care less whether the Kings were involved in one or not. Not really interested in seeing the retarded "analysts" like Don Cherry spend hours and hours crying and bemoaning that a Los Angeles team was even in a Winter Classic game to begin with; never mind the howling that would take place if a game was played IN L.A. Don't need it.

And as for 24/7, it was mostly a nice thing to see, but I pretty much learned that there's an actual head coach in the NHL who is a drooling obese mongoloid who can't comprehend wiping the ****ing meat sauce off his mouth, much less understand the nuances of the NHL game. How embarrassing.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 01-02-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 29924658)
And as for 24/7, it was mostly a nice thing to see, but I pretty much learned that there's an actual head coach in the NHL who is a drooling obese mongoloid who can't comprehend wiping the ****ing meat sauce off his mouth, much less understand the nuances of the NHL game. How embarrassing.

Embarrassing for Caps fans, entertaining for the rest of us.

However, Coach Bylsma was an absolute pleasure to watch. I love his cool-calm demeanor and his pre-game speeches.

And yes, the coverage for the game was **** but I still found it to be entertaining, except for the 2nd intermission activity with Jerome Bettis & Franco Harris . . that was just painful to watch

Buddy The Elf 01-02-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

... The Winter Classic might be good for the NHL, but it was a lousy game, horrific ice, and the coverage was absolute ****.

It was a lousy game with horrific ice and ****** coverage yet it is good for the NHL? That makes a whole lotta sense.

Quote:

I know it is pretty sad. You know much more than him but you are doing the Lord's work from behind your computer monitor instead of working in professional hockey. I guess that wasting that much talent would make me a bitter individual as well.

JT Dutch* 01-02-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 29925072)
It was a lousy game with horrific ice and ****** coverage yet it is good for the NHL? That makes a whole lotta sense.

... I'm sure a lot of people who have never seen a hockey game before tuned in or even went. That's good for the game. For people who have watched the game for a lot of years, it wasn't much to write home about but it's not like we're going to stop following the game over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 29925072)
I know it is pretty sad. You know much more than him but you are doing the Lord's work from behind your computer monitor instead of working in professional hockey. I guess that wasting that much talent would make me a bitter individual as well.

... It beats trolling, I guess? Might want to look into it.

Buddy The Elf 01-02-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 29925192)
... It beats trolling, I guess? Might want to look into it.

Assuming you watched the show, you saw and heard George McPhee's comments about "experts" giving their criticism when the team is on a slide. And he is right, if you knew as much as you think you know about the game, you'd be in it. Instead you are on the internet with the rest of fans gracing us with your knowledge.

KINGS17 01-02-2011 02:40 PM

Gotta say I was not impressed by Boudreau. His style seemed to be one of begging his players to play better. Maybe it was the editing. Glad the Kings replaced him in Manchester because I didn't see him doing much in the way of teaching.

The Tikkanen 01-02-2011 08:49 PM

They've mentioned Kings-Rangers at Yankee Stadium on HNIC Radio. My first thought is it would be great as a long suffering Kings fan. My second thought is why would the Kings play the Rangers? There is no rivalry. But, you have east coast vs west coast which is good for TV ratings. This is a money making event with the idea that it is selling the game to American viewers. Canadian opinions don't matter so guys like Don Cherry can have their own game and remind each other that they are in fact Canadians every second of the day. Getting Yankee players like Jeter or Arod to show up to the game would be another ratings grab. The only other angle is to somehow involve Messier and Gretzky since both have ties to the respective organization. And this is all just a moot point if the Kings miss the playoffs this season. I'd love to see it but I think there are quite a few teams the NHL would want to see play NYR ahead of the Kings. Plus, they already played outdoors once!

s3machine* 01-03-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

... The Winter Classic might be good for the NHL, but it was a lousy game, horrific ice, and the coverage was absolute ****. I couldn't care less whether the Kings were involved in one or not. Not really interested in seeing the retarded "analysts" like Don Cherry spend hours and hours crying and bemoaning that a Los Angeles team was even in a Winter Classic game to begin with; never mind the howling that would take place if a game was played IN L.A. Don't need it.

I couldnt disagree with you more. The ice and weather conditions were the same for both teams. There was no advantage either way. Whether it was a lousy game or not it is a great event, and much needed coverage for our league as the NHL is lost in between the NFL, NBA, MLB, and hell Nascar even..

Plain and simple. Our game needs the exposure. It needs the average fan. It needs a bunch of people who dont know a damn thing about hockey tuning in and saying "OH ****.. theres 80,000 people watching a hockey game.. and its outdoors!.. wow what a hit!.. theyre fighting!! .... etc" .. You catch my drift.

As for 24/7.. I think its very entertaining and true to life... and again.. it is some much needed coverage and exposure for our game..

Simply put. The NHL needs a fanbase outside of Canada. The Winter Classic and 24/7 are deifnitely helping achieve that. I for one like the new NHL.. its faster paced, less stopages.. loads of young talent top and bottom around the league..

The future looks bright :handclap:

The Tikkanen 01-03-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3machine (Post 29939826)
I couldnt disagree with you more. The ice and weather conditions were the same for both teams. There was no advantage either way. Whether it was a lousy game or not it is a great event, and much needed coverage for our league as the NHL is lost in between the NFL, NBA, MLB, and hell Nascar even..

Plain and simple. Our game needs the exposure. It needs the average fan. It needs a bunch of people who dont know a damn thing about hockey tuning in and saying "OH ****.. theres 80,000 people watching a hockey game.. and its outdoors!.. wow what a hit!.. theyre fighting!! .... etc" .. You catch my drift.

As for 24/7.. I think its very entertaining and true to life... and again.. it is some much needed coverage and exposure for our game..

Simply put. The NHL needs a fanbase outside of Canada. The Winter Classic and 24/7 are deifnitely helping achieve that. I for one like the new NHL.. its faster paced, less stopages.. loads of young talent top and bottom around the league..

The future looks bright :handclap:

100% agreed. Right now hockey is buried on Versus in between deer hunting shows. It was a Caps-Penguins game, 2 teams I don't care about and I opted to watch the entire game instead of turning to the post hangover LA Kings.

FrozenKing18 01-03-2011 01:54 AM

Agered on Kings 24/7

RonSwanson* 01-03-2011 03:36 AM

If they have any further interest in including Western teams in the Winter Classic, Denver would be a nice place to host the game. Avs/Kings?

s3machine* 01-03-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 29940423)
100% agreed. Right now hockey is buried on Versus in between deer hunting shows. It was a Caps-Penguins game, 2 teams I don't care about and I opted to watch the entire game instead of turning to the post hangover LA Kings.

lol @ the deer hunting shows.. its sad but true man.. the worst part is the game is so good right now.. so many great players.. but no one outside of us cares :(

kingsholygrail 01-03-2011 07:06 AM

If it happens, it will be in New York, not anywhere out west.

The Tikkanen 01-03-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 29941754)
If it happens, it will be in New York, not anywhere out west.

I agree and I think it will be at Yankee Stadium just for the hype factor. Combining Yankee Stadium, Yankee players and hockey will make the NHL a lot of money and draw ratings. To me the question is who would the Rangers play and why? And how much time would 24/7 focus on Sean Avery?

Buddy The Elf 01-03-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 29941188)
If they have any further interest in including Western teams in the Winter Classic, Denver would be a nice place to host the game. Avs/Kings?

Totally agree. I just posted that in the other Winter Classic thread. I've seen that suggested before and I think that is a great idea. I think that is the only realistic chance the Kings have a participating in a Winter Classic. If they can only manage to both get into the playoffs and perhaps play each other, maybe they can rekindle what semblance there was of a rivalry at one point between the two teams?

JT Dutch* 01-03-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3machine (Post 29939826)
I couldnt disagree with you more.

... You're actually mostly agreeing with me. If you read the post of mine that you quoted, I did say that the Winter Classic is good for the sport. I also posted that it does attract those new or casual fans, nothing wrong with that. 24/7 was a good show, I posted that too. Was interesting and eye-opening to see how disorganized the Capitals are (and how organized the Penguins are by comparison). I want the game to grow, too.

I'm mildly interested that the ice was the same for both sides in this year's Classic. The conditions were terrible, and made for a substandard game. The coverage was also terrible, choosing to concentrate more on football players than hockey players, which is a curious choice for a hockey game. But again, for those who don't know or care, it's not a problem.

The Tikkanen 01-03-2011 02:25 PM

24/7 was worth it just to see Ben Lovejoy's face.

RonSwanson* 01-03-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 29945789)
Totally agree. I just posted that in the other Winter Classic thread. I've seen that suggested before and I think that is a great idea. I think that is the only realistic chance the Kings have a participating in a Winter Classic. If they can only manage to both get into the playoffs and perhaps play each other, maybe they can rekindle what semblance there was of a rivalry at one point between the two teams?

True. I'm not just saying that because I live here in Colorado. I can't stand the Avs. But I recognize that both teams are young and on the upside of their development, so it would be nice to build some sort of rivalry with the Kings and Avs.

If both teams make the playoffs, then this scenario might have some legs under it.

Flour Child 01-03-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 29949470)
If both teams make the playoffs, then this scenario might have some legs under it.

Even more so if they met in the playoffs and had a knock down drag out bloody series

Pucknut50 01-03-2011 04:57 PM

The weather was the only reason the Winter Classic 2011 was not up to par. The Winter Classic is a great idea and as long as we keep it to once a year the NHL should continue it.
Kings at Vancouver would be great. Not sure if they have an outdoor venue for Hockey in BC but I would make that trip to see the game.