HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2012 WJC Squad? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=860416)

PuckOut 01-03-2011 07:21 PM

2012 WJC Squad?

The 2011 tournament is not quite over, but the speculation has already begun so why not a new thread eh? Mod can sticky if appropriate.

A quick mock-up to get it started...

GK:
Gustafsson (VIK)
Gunnarsson (HV71)

DF:
Nemeth (AIK)
Klingberg (VFHC)
Claesson (DIF)
Brodin (FBK)
Norén (LIF)
Klefbom (FBK)
Berglind (BIF)

FW:
Friberg (Skövde)
Rensfeldt (BIF)
Larsson (BIF)
Rakell (CHL)
Zibanejad (DIF)
Sörensen (DIF)
Pettersson (SAIK)
Sundström (VFHC)
Åberg (DIF)
Thorell (FBK)
Nordström (AIK)
Collberg (VFHC)
Rask (LIF)

Adam Larsson and Landeskog inegileble due to NHL commitments.

Out of DIF (I watch the J20 quite a bit) I'd say that defender Erik Gustafsson and perhaps goalie Due-Boje may get considerations but probably won't reach the target.
Other players who have good potential (Måns Krüger, Weigel, Gerard Hanson), I just don't think that Rönnberg will fancy due to his philosophy of hockey.

IT 01-04-2011 03:38 AM

Good team, some reflections.

Going by Ronnbergs philosophy Thorell wount' be picked either. Imo Boyce is a better choice. Rask need to improve his skating otherwise i do not see him making the squad. I could see both Forsberg and Collberg making it if the keep up their current progression and improves their defensive play.

Westerholm (Center) and John Persson is my darkhorse picks.

Defense looks alright, We need Berglind as one of only two righties on defense. Granberg (also righty) might steal a defensive role from Claesson.

Roseau123 01-08-2011 07:36 AM

I'd watch out for some of the players in HockeyAllsvenskan:

The Westerholm-twins(92-F) in Malmö for example, they have some of that twin magic that the Sedin's are famous for.

The same goes for Gustav Björklund(93-F) and William Karlsson(93-F) in Västerås.

KRM 01-08-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roseau123 (Post 30060349)
The same goes for Gustav Björklund(93-F) and William Karlsson(93-F) in Västerås.

Both very entertaining to watch, and would fit well in with Rönnberg's system.

cheerupmurray 09-01-2011 03:53 PM

The swedish j-20 b-team have played a game against Finlands b-team in Russia and won with 5-4. My grasp of kyrillic letters is a bit frail but I think the point producers where:

Collberg 2+0
Lillieström-Karlsson 1+1
Mannberg 1+1
Lindholm 0+2
Pettersson 1+0
Berglind 0+1
Boyce-Rotevall 0+1
William Karlsson 0+1

Hockeyfrilla 09-01-2011 04:33 PM

Johan Sundström - Johan Larsson - Max Friberg
Ludvig Rensfeldt - Mika Zibanejad - Rickard Rakell
Patrik Westerholm - Joakim Nordström - Pontus Westerholm
Erik Thorell - Victor Rask - Filip Forsberg

Jonas Brodin - Patrik Nemeth
John Klingberg - Oscar Klefbom
Fredrik Claesson - Mattias Bäckman
Rasmus Bengtsson

Johan Gustafsson
Johan Mattsson

Comments?

WayneBruce 09-02-2011 05:23 AM

2 questions:

What are the chances Collberg or Forsberg makes the team?
How good will this team be compared to previous years?

Hockeyfrilla 09-02-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerupmurray (Post 36373291)
The swedish j-20 b-team have played a game against Finlands b-team in Russia and won with 5-4. My grasp of kyrillic letters is a bit frail but I think the point producers where:

Collberg 2+0
Lillieström-Karlsson 1+1
Mannberg 1+1
Lindholm 0+2
Pettersson 1+0
Berglind 0+1
Boyce-Rotevall 0+1
William Karlsson 0+1

Swe - Czech Republic 7-2, where did you find boxscores?

sg58 09-02-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlamov71 (Post 36386343)
2 questions:

What are the chances Collberg or Forsberg makes the team?
How good will this team be compared to previous years?

I actually think they will both make the team. They are that good.

This team is maybe not having the "star-power" of some previous years, but I'd call this the best team yet since Sweden were competing for gold medals again.

cheerupmurray 09-03-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla (Post 36390833)
Swe - Czech Republic 7-2, where did you find boxscores?

http://www.fhr.ru/content/tours/125.html

Here, I can read Kirillyc letters somewhat.

The final scoring for swedes after 3 games should be:

Sebastian Collberg 7p (3+4)
William Karlsson 5p (1+4)
Jeremy Boyce Rotevall 4p (2+2)
Daniel Mannberg 4p (2+2)
Elias Lindholm 4p (1+3)
David Lillieström Karlsson 3p (2+1)
Linus Hultström 3p (1+2)
John Westin 2p (2+0)
Adam Pettersson 2p (2+0)
Victor Berglind 2p (0+2)

So impressive showing by Collberg and William Karlsson judging by the stats. Elias Lindolm also produced well and had a fine Ivan Hlinka, but I can't imagine he would be chosen for the wjc.

I am not too excited about this team, too few players that really stand out. But both the 92's and the 93's took home a silver from u-18 wjc, so it should be a team competing for medals. Hopefully Steffe G is right :)

Hockeyfrilla 09-04-2011 05:21 AM

Impressive by Collberg.

Garl 09-04-2011 07:45 AM

Watched some games.

Collberg-Impressive, looked comfortable, only way you could guess he is so young was his mask. He has average size(but not small) and while he can shoot he has nice vision aswell.

Willie Karlsson stood out aswell, fast skater and controls the puck very well. Looked bigger than 183/74.

Elias Lindholm has some wheels. He wasn't playing that much though.

Victor Berglind had an injury in game vs Russia.

Physicality came from Granberg, Tom Nilsson(got some nice hits) and surprisingly Linus Arnesson(at least in Russia game).

Overall, Sweden had good skating and won 75% battles along the boards. But this team was small. Russian looked much bigger in comparsion.

Russian team was ok, but nothing really special. Sweden had more control on the puck, though russians had probably as many dangeruous moments as Sweden. Russians acted tough, consistently pushing swedes after the whistle, overaggresivly defending their goalie(i.e. push or grab your opponent even if he isn't really close to goalie) and Kosov(192/102 kg) was really eager to fight E.Gustafsson when Gustafsson came to defend injured berglind. Kosov droppped a glove and threw a punch but was blocked by refery. In the end Sweden made a mistake and Shalunov can shoot so you got to cover him.

This team seriously lacked guys like J.Larsson and Nemeth, and well, some big guys overall.

cheerupmurray 09-04-2011 06:20 PM

so...

Centers
For the first and second line the natural choices are:
Mika Zibanejad (don't think he will make Ottawa)
Johan Larsson (will be a very important player)

For the third and fourth:
Joakim Nordström (will most likely get a spot, he is good bottom-6 player that probably will have a minor breaktrough in SEL)
Joachim Nermark, William Karlsson, Victor Rask will have to fight it out over the last spot.

Wingers
Johan Sundström and Max Friberg worked well with Johan Larsson in Lake Placid, so Im guessing that's a line.
Ponthus Westerholm and Pathrik Westerholm is a treat to watch and they should be able to make the team.

That leaves 4 winger spots
possible leftwingers includes: Ludvig Rensfeldt, Erik Thorell, Jeremy Boyce Rotevall, David Lilleström Karlsson (as a energy player), Emil Lundberg, Ludwig Blomstrand (as a checker), John Westin, Adam Pettersson
Possible rightwingers includes:
Sebastian Collberg, Filip Forsberg, Nick Sörensen, Gustav Björklund, Pontus Åberg, Rickard Rakell, Marcus Sörensen, John Persson

Locks for the defense:
Jonas Brodin
John Klingberg
Patrik Nemeth
Fredrik Claesson (at least I think he is a lock)
Oskar klefbom (is he really a lock?)

Wideopen for the last spots,
Some possible offensive d.mens:

Rasmus Bengtsson (my personal favorite)
Linus Hultström
Viktor Berglind
Patrik Norén (maybe more allround than offensive)

Allround and/or defensive d-men:
Petter Granberg
Johan Alm
Mattias Bäckman
Erik Gustafsson
Tom Nilsson
Erik Gustafsson
Mikael Wikstrand
Jonas Emmerdahl

Goalies

Johan Gustafsson should be a lock

Some combination of:
Johan Mattson
Adam Reideborn and Jonas Gunnarsson (sucess in Hockeyallsvenskan could give either of them a spot)
Anton Forsberg
Joel Lassinantti (small but good)
Oskar Dansk and Marcus Högberg very talented goalies born 1994.

If the roster had to be decided today I would go with:

Sundström-Larsson-Friberg
Rensfeldt-Zibanejad-Rakell
Westerholm-Nordström-Westerholm
Boyce Rotevall-William Karlsson-Collberg
F.Forsberg

Brodin- Klingberg
Nemeth- Klefbom
Claesson-Bengtsson
Bäckman

Gustafsson
Mattsson

sg58 09-04-2011 07:19 PM

Sadly, I think we can throw Sörensen's name away simply by the fact he's playing in the Q. With that hard a competition, they will always opt for the player staying in Sweden. He'll have to be super impressive in order to get a spot.

I agree with you that Claesson is a lock on defence, and I also agree with your doubts about Klefbom being a lock, especially if he doesn't get SEL exposure. He did captain the U18 team though, which counts for something. To the group of locks on D they'd probably look to add another power play player, so I'd say Victor Berglind looks to have a great chance. Possibly Jonas Emmerdahl as a dark horse out of the SEL-2, he looked pretty good when I watched him in that Leksand tournament.

The goalie spot behind Gustafsson will be up for grabs as well. Adam Reideborn?

sg58 09-04-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garl (Post 36427469)

Willie Karlsson stood out aswell, fast skater and controls the puck very well. Looked bigger than 183/74.

Elias Lindholm has some wheels. He wasn't playing that much though..

Funny you should say that, made the exact same note about Karlsson after the Leksand tournament with VIK. Will be interesting to see an updated measurement.

As for Elias Lindholm, can't wait to watch him at a higher level. Oozing hockey IQ.

cheerupmurray 09-05-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steffeG (Post 36437879)
Sadly, I think we can throw Sörensen's name away simply by the fact he's playing in the Q. With that hard a competition, they will always opt for the player staying in Sweden. He'll have to be super impressive in order to get a spot.

I agree with you that Claesson is a lock on defence, and I also agree with your doubts about Klefbom being a lock, especially if he doesn't get SEL exposure. He did captain the U18 team though, which counts for something. To the group of locks on D they'd probably look to add another power play player, so I'd say Victor Berglind looks to have a great chance. Possibly Jonas Emmerdahl as a dark horse out of the SEL-2, he looked pretty good when I watched him in that Leksand tournament.

The goalie spot behind Gustafsson will be up for grabs as well. Adam Reideborn?

Added Emmerdahl that looks interestingand some goalies. , Also added Patrik Norén that I really liked last season, but he shoots left and is more of a puckmoving d-man than a pp-expert. Maybe you are right and they will make room for a rightshooter that works well in the pp then Berglind and Hultström is good options.

sg58 09-05-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerupmurray (Post 36444633)
Added Emmerdahl that looks interestingand some goalies. , Also added Patrik Norén that I really liked last season, but he shoots left and is more of a puckmoving d-man than a pp-expert. Maybe you are right and they will make room for a rightshooter that works well in the pp then Berglind and Hultström is good options.

Totally forgot about Anton Forsberg in goal. Haven't seen any of the games but he seems to have impressed during pre-season for Modo. Will be in tough to get many games, but you never know. The same situation for Reideborn, really, though I'd imagine there will be more of a split there even though Fernström is a fantastic goalie that probably will play in the SEL next year.

Maybe we should poll internally for a WJC roster now and then right before the roster is selected to see how much it would differ? Are we enough people to do that? ;)

TheFatOne 09-15-2011 06:33 AM

Landeskog - Larsson - Zibanejad
Åberg - Karlsson - Rakell
Forsberg - Nordström - Collberg
Sundström - Boyce - Friberg

Brodin - Klefbom
Klingberg - Nemeth
Larsson - Norén

If Landeskog, Larsson and Zibby is still in NHL...

Pontus Åberg - Johan Larsson - Richard Rakell
Westerholm - William Karlsson - Westerholm
Filip Forsberg - Joakim Nordström - Sebastian Collberg
Johan Sundström - Jeremy Boyce - Max Friberg

Brodin - Klefbom
Klingberg - Nemeth
Claesson - Norén

WayneBruce 09-18-2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landskronala (Post 36716847)
Landeskog - Zibanejad - Rakell
Sundström - Larsson - Friberg
Westerholm - Rask - Westerholm
Forsberg - Boyce - Collberg

Brodin - Klefbom
Klingberg - Nemeth
Claesson - Norén

That would be an awesome team, 4 great forward lines. Landeskog won´t be there though, and Zibanejad might not be either.

Hockeyfrilla 09-29-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla (Post 36374169)
Johan Sundström - Johan Larsson - Max Friberg
Ludvig Rensfeldt - William Karlsson - Rickard Rakell
Patrik Westerholm - Joakim Nordström - Pontus Åberg
Filip Forsberg - Victor Rask - Sebastian Collberg

Jonas Brodin - Patrik Nemeth
John Klingberg - Oscar Klefbom
Fredrik Claesson - Mattias Bäckman
Rasmus Bengtsson

Johan Gustafsson
Johan Mattsson

Made some changes ;)

IN: William Karlsson, Sebastian Collberg, Pontus Åberg.
OUT: Pontus Westerholm, Erik Thorell, Mika Zibanejad (lock if available)

cheerupmurray 09-29-2011 09:57 AM

Linus Hultström have started impressive in Allsvenskan with 3 points in 5 games, Victor Berglind seems to be of to a decent start with 2 points in 3 games. That's two similar players, a bit undersized offensive d-men, good in PP and shoots right. I think one of those is closer to make the team than Ramus Bengtsson that have started this season pretty bad.

Bengtsson is being outplayed by fellow junior d-man Jonathan Zaar so far. Zaar is racking up the points in Superelit and produced his first point in Allsvenskan yesterday. He is a pretty interesting d-man that had last season spoiled by injuries.

romelson 10-05-2011 03:55 AM

Wow, Pontus Åberg must be this years' sky rocket.
Impressive play by him so far. He's moved from being an outsider to being a hot candidate for WJC.

Linked is an article(in swedish) where a local journalist queries Ronnberg if there's any players from Skelleftea that has chances on making it to WJC. Sorensen seems like a non-option at the moment. Ronnberg speaks really well of Adam Pettersson, so maybe he's a little warmer candidate than I thought. Ronnberg also mentions three d-men Edström, Alm & Granberg. That really doesnt give us any good hints cause one can suspect that Ronnberg is keeping an eye on maybe 15-20 dman candidates, and we just get to know that they're among them. Alm & Granberg has both played for J20 national team this year. Strangely, it's the third guy, Rasmus Edstrom, that has impressed most on me(and others) that has watched many Skelleftea-games this year.
http://www.folkbladet.nu/269806/2011...as-jvm-chanser

Howe Elbows 9 10-05-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steffeG (Post 36444855)
Totally forgot about Anton Forsberg in goal. Haven't seen any of the games but he seems to have impressed during pre-season for Modo. Will be in tough to get many games, but you never know.

Anton Forsbergs only Elitserien game so far was a nightmare (letting in six goals on 39 shots against HV71) but I have to assume that goalies that get to play a few games in Elitserien and Allsvenskan should get serious consideration for the WJC team. While the respective seasons have only just started, Forsberg and Gunnarsson look like likely candidates for the backup spot right now.

Hockeyfrilla 10-05-2011 05:00 AM

Max Friberg is not getting any ice time in Timrå atm. Loan him to a Allsvenskan team?

cheerupmurray 10-15-2011 06:22 AM

So what do you think about Michael Schumacher for a bottom-six spot on the team? He has 5+4 in 9 games in OHL so far. He is listed as 6'5'', so he would bring some size and he plays a powerforward game. Since he is born 1993, he would also be a name for next years team, so it might be a good idea to give him some experience playing on the fourth line this year.

At least I think he should be in the mix, with his good season opening.