HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Finland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Team Finland @ 2012 U20WJC's (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=860604)

Tormentor 01-04-2011 08:27 AM

Team Finland @ 2012 U20WJC's
 
In order to get over the shock treatment delivered by Evgeny Kuznetsov, it’s better to start looking forward towards the next WJC’s. The 2012 WJC’s are once again played in North America, this time in Calgary and Edmonton, Canada.

In some sense the goalie situation seems to be clear, we have 3 good goalie prospects; Sami Aittokallio, Christopher Gibson and Samu Perhonen. The only question mark is which one of the three will be the starter, and will he be able to carry the team against the tougher opponents.

Defense can be seen as the weak point for this team. Excluding the only returnee, 94-born Olli Määttä, there’s no top talent available. Or at least it seems like it at the moment. Jani Hakanpää was the last defenseman cut from this year’s team, and should be an almost certain addition to the team. Another almost certain addition to the team is Simo-Pekka Riikola, he has played 15 games in the SM-liiga so far this season, and in this aspect is the most experienced player in our defensive crop. After these three defensemen I personally find it difficult to predict anything.

At this year’s WJC’s Finland had three strong lines that were capable of creating scoring chances on a regular basis. I think that this is a good concept and the best way of challenging teams like Canada, USA and Sweden. Therefore I hope that the new coach will try to do the same next year. If healthy, the returnees Mikael Granlund (from 2009 and 2010), Joel Armia, Teemu Pulkkinen, Miikka Salomäki and Joonas Donskoi will naturally be among the top-9 forwards. Mika Partanen was the last forward cut from this year’s team and can be seen as an almost certain addition to the team.

If the above players are healthy and make the final team, it means that there are 4 available spots for defensemen and 7 available spots for forwards, any predictions?

One player who could make the team is Joel Mustonen, he has been on Skellefteå’s Elitserien line-up for 4 games now. He didn’t get much ice time and he’s not a high scoring player, but has a lot of energy in his game and could at least be seen as a potential 4th liner.

Latex* 01-04-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormentor (Post 29965975)
In order to get over the shock treatment delivered by Evgeny Kuznetsov, it’s better to start looking forward towards the next WJC’s. The 2012 WJC’s are once again played in North America, this time in Calgary and Edmonton, Canada.

In some sense the goalie situation seems to be clear, we have 3 good goalie prospects; Sami Aittokallio, Christopher Gibson and Samu Perhonen. The only question mark is which one of the three will be the starter, and will he be able to carry the team against the tougher opponents.

Defense can be seen as the weak point for this team. Excluding the only returnee, 94-born Olli Määttä, there’s no top talent available. Or at least it seems like it at the moment. Jani Hakanpää was the last defenseman cut from this year’s team, and should be an almost certain addition to the team. Another almost certain addition to the team is Simo-Pekka Riikola, he has played 15 games in the SM-liiga so far this season, and in this aspect is the most experienced player in our defensive crop. After these three defensemen I personally find it difficult to predict anything.

At this year’s WJC’s Finland had three strong lines that were capable of creating scoring chances on a regular basis. I think that this is a good concept and the best way of challenging teams like Canada, USA and Sweden. Therefore I hope that the new coach will try to do the same next year. If healthy, the returnees Mikael Granlund (from 2009 and 2010), Joel Armia, Teemu Pulkkinen, Miikka Salomäki and Joonas Donskoi will naturally be among the top-9 forwards. Mika Partanen was the last forward cut from this year’s team and can be seen as an almost certain addition to the team.

If the above players are healthy and make the final team, it means that there are 4 available spots for defensemen and 7 available spots for forwards, any predictions?

One player who could make the team is Joel Mustonen, he has been on Skellefteå’s Elitserien line-up for 4 games now. He didn’t get much ice time and he’s not a high scoring player, but has a lot of energy in his game and could at least be seen as a potential 4th liner.

Kalle Torniainen?

Tormentor 01-04-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexi84 (Post 29966025)
Kalle Torniainen?

After watching all Team Finland's games from the WU17 Challenge, I would say that Kalle Torniainen and Teuvo Teräväinen are the two 94-born forwards that might have a small chance of making this team. IMO Kalle Torniainen is the more likely one, since he's an excellent skater and could therefore be seen as a potential replacement for either Toni Rajala or Julius Junttila. Teuvo Teräväinen is perhaps a slightly more skilled individual, but isn't as fast on his skates as Torniainen. Both are fairly smallish and need to bulk up a lot, but the puck skills are there. They aren’t likely NHL prospects at this point, but could develop into elite players for European hockey like for example Niko Kapanen and Timo Pärssinen.

Juzmo 01-04-2011 10:17 AM

Just the line-up prediction, which in one year will probably justmake me look silly:

Donskoi - Mi.Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Ma.Granlund - Armia
Partanen - Halinen - Rautiainen
Salminen - Salmivirta - Palve
Moisio/Barkov/somebody?

Hakanpää - Västilä
SP Riikola - Määttä
Mäkinen - Pokka
Ristolainen/a suprise?

Aittokallio
Gibson

FrankTheTank 01-04-2011 02:17 PM

Donskoi-Mi.Granlund-Armia
Pulkkinen-Salomäki-Salminen
Partanen-Salmivirta-Rautiainen
Åsten-Halinen-Moisio
Ma.Granlund

Määttä-Riikola
Hakanpää-Pokka
Parkkonen-Kankaanperä
Västilä

Gibson/Aittokallio

Pulkkinen showed that he really can share the puck so I separate him and Mikael Granlund. Now we have two great line. I really hope Salminen will develop and would play SM-league on next season and I believe that might happen. I dont believe that Markus Granlund will get big role in IFK because he's not as Physical as his brother is, he's not fast and also IFK is really good team so it's not easy to break in to the roster.

Defence looks bad at this point. Riikola, Pokka and Parkkonen could be our puck moving defencemen. Määttä, Hakanpää and Kankaanperä could be our defensive defencemen.

It will be fun to see how wrong I was on next december:laugh:

bebl 01-04-2011 04:56 PM

Donskoi-Mi.Granlund-Pulkkinen
Salomäki-Ma.Granlund-Armia
Partanen-Mustonen-Teräväinen
Salminen-Halinen-Rantanen
Rautiainen-Salmivirta-Palve

Määttä-Riikola
Hakanpää-Västilä
Kankaanperä-Pokka
Kojo-Parkkonen
Mäkinen-Teppo

Gibson
Aittokallio
Iilahti
Perhonen

Tormentor 01-04-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juzmo (Post 29967117)
Just the line-up prediction, which in one year will probably justmake me look silly:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankTheTank (Post 29971274)
It will be fun to see how wrong I was on next december:laugh:

It's really hard to make a good prediction of next year's team at this point, since half of the roster spots are open and there are probably 30 or 40 decent options for filling them. ...And there's always room for surprises, here's for being wrong... :cheers:

----------------------

Here's my early lottery, pretty much just a team that I'd like to see:

Markus Granlund - Mikael Granlund - Joel Armia
Mika Partanen - Alexander Ruuttu - Teemu Pulkkinen
Joonas Donskoi - Miikka Salomäki - Kalle Torniainen
Patrik Moisio - Joel Mustonen - Otto Paajanen
Sami Salminen

Olli Määttä - Simo-Pekka Riikola
Ville-Veikko Eerola - Rasmus Ristolainen
Konsta Mäkinen - Jani Hakanpää
Samuli Kankaanperä

Sami Aittokallio
Christopher Gibson

Tormentor 01-06-2011 02:09 AM

Group B in Edmonton
Canada (2)
United States (3)
Finland (6)
Czech Republic (7)
Denmark (10)

:cry:... Well, at least we get to play against Canada and USA. The game against Czech Republic will probably be a crucial one.

ThinMcWhistle 01-06-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormentor (Post 30009246)
Group B in Edmonton
Canada (2)
United States (3)
Finland (6)
Czech Republic (7)
Denmark (10)

:cry:... Well, at least we get to play against Canada and USA. The game against Czech Republic will probably be a crucial one.

Well think about it this way... As long as we make it out of the preliminary round, our opponent in the quarters won't be Canada or the US.. That's a good thing.

YARR123 01-06-2011 02:22 PM

yeah and if this years WJC was any indication the czhechs wont be very strong next year either.

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Armia
Torniainen - Ma. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Partanen - Salmivirta - Salomäki
Åsten - Mustonen - Teräväinen

I've really no idea about our D. Hopefully a new Jokipakka or two surfaces out of nowhere by then. Especially if Donskoi and Armia improve as much as they did this year, Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Armia line sounds pretty lethal. All possible and actually quite realistic PPG guys in Sm-liiga for next season

Tormentor 01-06-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach (Post 30012009)
Well think about it this way... As long as we make it out of the preliminary round, our opponent in the quarters won't be Canada or the US.. That's a good thing.

If we manage to beat the Czechs and finish 3rd in that group, it probably means that our opponent in the quarters is either Russia or Sweden. If we win that game, we'll face the winner of group B and that's either Canada or USA. Odds seem to be against us, even more than usual. Hopefully there will be some upsets/surprises, so the road to the final isn't the hardest possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARR123 (Post 30017032)
yeah and if this years WJC was any indication the czhechs wont be very strong next year either.

Frk and Jaskin could potentially be huge players for the Czechs and we have to remember that our defense probably won’t be as good as it was this year.

wings5 01-06-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARR123 (Post 30017032)
yeah and if this years WJC was any indication the czhechs wont be very strong next year either.

Yes they will be stronger they missed several players from last year due to injury and suspention and will likely add Musil, Jaskin, Filippi, Hrbas, Mrazek (maybe).

Eyelanders 01-09-2011 12:40 PM

Hello!

What do you guys think about Aleksandr Barkov? I was just thinking that does he have a chance of being on the team? I haven´t yet seen him playing, but his stats this year are very good and he also has good size at 6´1.

Teuvo Teräväinen is a really good player by two games that I´ve seen from him this year, but I don´t know if he´s good enough to be on the team. He´s an entertaining player to watch and has good skills.

Korkki 01-11-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan789 (Post 30089323)
Hello!

What do you guys think about Aleksandr Barkov? I was just thinking that does he have a chance of being on the team? I haven´t yet seen him playing, but his stats this year are very good and he also has good size at 6´1.

I think we have enough depth in the forward so that a -95 born player is too young for it.

Eyelanders 01-12-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korkki (Post 30128900)
I think we have enough depth in the forward so that a -95 born player is too young for it.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. He will still have after the next WJC three opportunities, if he doesn´t make it into the team.

The Right Price 01-19-2011 06:42 AM

Your line-ups really need a Axel Holmström (b. 93). He's been plagued by injuries this year but expect him to put up some big numbers next season.

Jussi 02-01-2011 08:00 AM

Raimo Helminen officially new head coach. Would have preferred Pekka Rautakallio but he didn't want to commit until the season was over. He also thought the head coach needs to stay on the job for 2-4 years and he probably was willing to do that. If Raipe only stay for one season, maybe "Rocky" will take up after him.

Password 08-26-2011 07:12 PM

No one has talked about Marcus Fagerudd yet. He went from Ässät-J-20 to Luleå-J-20 this summer and have been playing for Luleå's men's team in European trophy and have been playing very good. Offensively good D, shoots right :naughty: Stats in the tournament 0+2. Hopefully he will get some SEL games too and i'm sure he will. Keep an eye on this guy, might be something for the WJC roster :)

vsk92 08-26-2011 10:22 PM

won't Olli Määttä miss out since he's playing with London Knights this year and does the tournament not conflict with the schedule - or does the CHL have a break for players to play in the tournament ??

wings5 08-27-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsk92 (Post 36238014)
won't Olli Määttä miss out since he's playing with London Knights this year and does the tournament not conflict with the schedule - or does the CHL have a break for players to play in the tournament ??

No he won't miss the tourny the CHL teams will release their players for the WJC but he will miss some CHL games with London.

edd1e 08-27-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan789 (Post 30089323)
Hello!

What do you guys think about Aleksandr Barkov? I was just thinking that does he have a chance of being on the team? I haven´t yet seen him playing, but his stats this year are very good and he also has good size at 6´1.

Teuvo Teräväinen is a really good player by two games that I´ve seen from him this year, but I don´t know if he´s good enough to be on the team. He´s an entertaining player to watch and has good skills.

He could be useable. As most of us are awere of his PK skills. Very versitale player.

He definitelly has a shot if Tappara uses him in SM-Liiga.

edd1e 08-27-2011 02:17 AM

What would the lineup look like today?

Torniainen still in?

thomast 08-27-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Password (Post 36234394)
No one has talked about Marcus Fagerudd yet. He went from Ässät-J-20 to Luleå-J-20 this summer and have been playing for Luleå's men's team in European trophy and have been playing very good. Offensively good D, shoots right :naughty: Stats in the tournament 0+2. Hopefully he will get some SEL games too and i'm sure he will. Keep an eye on this guy, might be something for the WJC roster :)

Yeah, if he get's SEL icetime then it's obvious choice. Teräväinen over torniainen.

Tormentor 08-27-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomast (Post 36242114)
Teräväinen over torniainen.

At the moment, probably. On the other hand we have to remember that Torniainen was sick prior the Hlinka tournament and ended up getting injured in his first game there, so we haven’t seen anything from him yet. Just speculation, but if there are injuries, Teräväinen might be a nice addition as a PP specialist, whereas Torniainen might be slightly more useful on even strength.

ChadS 08-27-2011 09:27 AM

Teräväinen has been training and now playing with Jokerit SM-liiga group so that's a bit of an advantage as well. But it's months until the tournament so there could still be major changes in the roster.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.