HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Finland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Getting to know the SM-liiga (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=861506)

kovnik 01-06-2011 11:57 AM

Getting to know the SM-liiga

Hey,
i'm moving to Finland (Espoo) in one month and basically i know nothing about the finnish hockey league. The official site has an english part, but not that much information... I checked Wikipedia but most of the articles are rather short.
Are there any other websites not written in finnish, hard to find anything on the web.

Thanks in advance

FinHockey 01-06-2011 12:34 PM

What would you like to know? Maybe we Finnish posters can help?

raystorm 01-06-2011 12:48 PM

Jokerit-in english

Some of the finnish teams are little information in english on there pages like Jokerit. Don't know you know much for the league so let's start basics. You come to Espoo so there is 3 teams close to you. In Espoo there is one team Blues. In Helsinki there is two teams which are Jokerit and HIFK.

I don't know websites in english. SM-liiga's site's sucks in finnish already so, in english can't even imagine.

But ask for more. Me and some other guys will help u as much as we can.

YARR123 01-06-2011 01:48 PM

If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see HIFK games, great stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Elite_League

Latex* 01-06-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARR123 (Post 30015047)
If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see HIFK games, great stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Elite_League

Our games are actually pretty quiet nowadays :help:

Emppu 01-06-2011 08:08 PM

JYP Jyväskylä if you want to see amazing hockey :D

If you're moving to Espoo you have Espoo Blues, which are doing a good season. It's up to you. I own a SM-Liiga website but it is in Spanish, and I don't think you know Spanish (maybe you do :D)

ThinMcWhistle 01-06-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emppu (Post 30023996)

If you're moving to Espoo you have Espoo Blues, which are doing a good season. It's up to you. I own a SM-Liiga website but it is in Spanish, and I don't think you know Spanish (maybe you do :D)

Hey, what's the website url, my brother is a huge hockey fan and and even bigger fan of the Spanish language and culture. He would love to join your site.

ThinMcWhistle 01-06-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kovnik (Post 30012878)
Hey,
i'm moving to Finland (Espoo) in one month and basically i know nothing about the finnish hockey league. The official site has an english part, but not that much information... I checked Wikipedia but most of the articles are rather short.
Are there any other websites not written in finnish, hard to find anything on the web.

Thanks in advance

This is not specifically about the SM liiga, but might be a site where you can get some good information on moving to Finland, etc. There is also a sports section there and some chatter about the SM liiga.

http://www.finlandforum.org

Finnpin 01-07-2011 01:43 AM

There used to be weekly english report in SM-Liiga page but not anymore I guess...what a surprise.

I remembered a discussion here few years ago and searched it:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=415166

and found a nice link, check it out:

(Nickname, TampereOwl's blog in english)

http://hockeyinfinland.wordpress.com/

Ciccarelli 01-07-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARR123 (Post 30015047)
If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see Ässät games, great stuff

Here ya go, think you had a typo, fixed it for ya. :)

slebbeog 01-07-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciccarelli (Post 30036295)
Here ya go, think you had a typo, fixed it for ya. :)

:biglaugh:

Oh and in case kovnik has some interest on stats, here's a good resource in english: http://eliteprospects.com/league.php...ga&season=2010

Emppu 01-07-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach (Post 30030269)
Hey, what's the website url, my brother is a huge hockey fan and and even bigger fan of the Spanish language and culture. He would love to join your site.

I can't post it in here as I'm not a sponsor of HFboards. I'm trying to send a private message to you with the link but you have to delete some Private Messages, as it tells me that you have stored the maximum number of them :)

ThinMcWhistle 01-07-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emppu (Post 30042570)
I can't post it in here as I'm not a sponsor of HFboards. I'm trying to send a private message to you with the link but you have to delete some Private Messages, as it tells me that you have stored the maximum number of them :)

You can go ahead now, did some cleaning up..

:)

TheMuumio 01-08-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emppu (Post 30023996)

Probably the most boring team in the league, yes they are effective, but that playing style is boring. And dear god the amount of hooking and grapping they do without being penalized for it. Also the best audience is in Pori especially on saturdays, so I'd suggest visiting there instead of IFK Ggames

Juzmo 01-09-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuumio (Post 30064303)
Probably the most boring team in the league, yes they are effective, but that playing style is boring. And dear god the amount of hooking and grapping they do without being penalized for it. Also the best audience is in Pori especially on saturdays, so I'd suggest visiting there instead of IFK Ggames

And actually after January the only Ässät-game on Saturday in the regular season is on the 26th of February against HIFK (quite weird since they have four homegames on Saturdays this month and two of them against Lukko) so if you are interested, it could be quite the experience. :laugh:

kovnik 01-16-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I got a pretty good overview over the league..can't spell any names properly though.. ;)
I have been to Finland last week and had a look at the Blues, HIFK and Jokerit arenas,fan shops and fans! They constantly asked me "You know hockey in germany!?" Nice guys and very passionate. Saw also a match on TV, Blues - HPK iirc. Pretty cool stuff and i definitely got hooked on finnish hockey. Just have to learn "some" finnish now to read/understand the basic stuff.. :laugh:

The Right Price 01-19-2011 07:39 AM

You should definitely become a fan of HIFK, since I know the GM's daughter ;) They have a rich history and are kind of the Montréal Canadiens of Finland, without championships though, since many of their fans belong to a minority, Swedish speaking Finns.

I find Jokerit and Blues kind of soulless. Don't know why. But my favourite team is Lukko, just because of their logo.

WildHockey90 01-19-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Right Price (Post 30310117)
You should definitely become a fan of HIFK, since I know the GM's daughter ;) They have a rich history and are kind of the Montréal Canadiens of Finland, without championships though, since many of their fans belong to a minority, Swedish speaking Finns.

I find Jokerit and Blues kind of soulless. Don't know why. But my favourite team is Lukko, just because of their logo.

A bit off-topic but that reminds me. Lukko's logo basically has a Fox (Kettu) on it right ?

so what is Lukko meant to mean ?

SharksAttack 01-19-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildHockey90 (Post 30314742)
A bit off-topic but that reminds me. Lukko's logo basically has a Fox (Kettu) on it right ?

so what is Lukko meant to mean ?

Lukko = Lock and they should go back to their old logo

http://i56.tinypic.com/ncgi21.jpg

QnebO 01-20-2011 08:46 PM

Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games. I live in northern Finland but sometimes I go to jokerits games because I love the arena. Jokerit - HIFK games are ultimate.. they have great atmosphere. Both teams allso have very great players.

Latex* 01-21-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 30346518)
Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games. I live in northern Finland but sometimes I go to jokerits games because I love the arena. Jokerit - HIFK games are ultimate.. they have great atmosphere. Both teams allso have very great players.

HIFK - Blues Games are much more interesting.

And nordis' is THE arena in Helsinki.

Finnpin 01-21-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexi84 (Post 30354511)
HIFK - Blues Games are much more interesting.

And nordis' is THE arena in Helsinki.

Arena? more like a barn :D

Latex* 01-21-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnpin (Post 30359020)
Arena? more like a barn :D

At least the fans in that old barn can make some noise...

Qurpiz 01-21-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QnebO (Post 30346518)
Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games.

I love visiting high-tech churches.

My money for arenas to visit:

Hakametsä (Tampere) - Oldest arena in Finland, Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame. Come on.
Helsinki Ice Hall (HIFK) - Really good place for a hockey game.
Isomäen jäähalli (Ässät) - Best atmostphere in Finland, the best seats in the place are standing room. And a lot of it. However, Saturday games are the ones to look out for.

Failing all that, Talviklassikko (Jokerit-HIFK @ Olympic Stadium) sounds like a crazy fun time.

Juzmo 01-21-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qurpiz (Post 30364260)
Isometsän jäähalli (Ässät) - Best atmostphere in Finland, the best seats in the place are standing room. And a lot of it. However, Saturday games are the ones to look out for.

Isomäen jäähalli*