HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Waived: Columbus: Mike Commodore (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=861541)

Gusher 01-06-2011 12:19 PM

Columbus: Mike Commodore

While his contract is suspect ($3.75 Million Cap Hit for 2 more Seasons after this) I think the Oilers would put in a claim on re-entry Waivers. Does Commodore get to re-entry? Should the Oilers put in a claim? Thoughts?

Commodore would be a big upgrade on Strudwick and probably Vandermeer too. He's a local guy too. Great guy in the room as well.

EDIT - Commodore demanded a trade since he wasn't getting the minutes. Obviously this was a way for Columbus to try and help that demand.

misfit 01-06-2011 12:22 PM

I doubt he gets assigned to the minors, so I don't see re-entry as an option if he isn't claimed on this pass through waivers.

The one thing I'd hope to see the Oilers do is offer up Souray for him if he clears waivers tomorrow morning. It's no different for the Jackets than assigning Commodore to the AHL, and they get a player next season who'll help them out on D and sees his contract end a year earlier.

Mizral 01-06-2011 12:23 PM

Oilers should stay away from Commodore. He's not terrible but he's quite slow and teams in the West seem to burn him constantly. He has no answer for guys who beat him on the outside. This is one of those guys who probably should go out East and play with another guy who can skate to cover his lack of skating.

zeus3007* 01-06-2011 12:24 PM

The Oilers should certainly not put in a claim. Where are our holes on defense? Not on the bottom pair, where Commodore should be, on the top pair. Ideally our defense would look like this

Whitney-_______
Gilbert-Peckham
Smid-Foster (until next year, when Petry takes the spot).

Commodore does nothing to help this out. Nothing at all. He is a slower Vandermeer.

Gusher 01-06-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 30014509)
I doubt he gets assigned to the minors, so I don't see re-entry as an option if he isn't claimed on this pass through waivers.

The one thing I'd hope to see the Oilers do is offer up Souray for him if he clears waivers tomorrow morning. It's no different for the Jackets than assigning Commodore to the AHL, and they get a player next season who'll help them out on D and sees his contract end a year earlier.

Souray would have to clear re-entry Waivers for any trade to happen. Someone might pluck him off re-entry and stick the Oilers with half the price tag. Oilers don't want that.

Seedling 01-06-2011 12:26 PM

I'd rather have Staios back. Seriously, and Staios is terrible.

tempest2i 01-06-2011 12:26 PM

If you like watching a player with Strudwick's speed and Foster's puck handling in his own zone you're going to love having Commodore on the blueline

Was have enough bad blueliners, we don't need a bad, badly overpaid blueliner.

Master Lok 01-06-2011 12:26 PM

Agreed with Mizral. If Commodore was on a one-year contract, then he might be a possible solution, but certainly not at two more years. IIRC, at least Vandermeer and Strudwick's contracts both expire this year.

misfit 01-06-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusher (Post 30014560)
Souray would have to clear re-entry Waivers for any trade to happen. Someone might pluck him off re-entry and stick the Oilers with half the price tag. Oilers don't want that.

They wouldn't have to recall him to trade him. He'd just have to clear waivers if they wanted him to play this year. The only time a player would have to go through waivers before the team could trade him is if he was aquired through waivers in the first place. At least that's how I understand it.

Tad Mikowsky 01-06-2011 12:32 PM

Of the guys who get placed on waivers, I couldnt see this one being too bad for a claim.

Gusher 01-06-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 30014630)
They wouldn't have to recall him to trade him. He'd just have to clear waivers if they wanted him to play this year. The only time a player would have to go through waivers before the team could trade him is if he was aquired through waivers in the first place. At least that's how I understand it.

He would have to clear re-entry for a trade. He's already on loan to another AHL club so that limits any option of a swap at the AHL level.

Njoy Oilers 01-06-2011 12:39 PM

Oilers will continue using their farm hands the rest of the years simply because it alows them to see what they have, and they are/were prepared to lose, Renny was the only one who didn't get the memo.:naughty:

joestevens29 01-06-2011 12:41 PM

Valabik on re-entry again.

Harrison 01-06-2011 12:42 PM

No thanks on Commodore.

misfit 01-06-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusher (Post 30014699)
He would have to clear re-entry for a trade. He's already on loan to another AHL club so that limits any option of a swap at the AHL level.

I couldn't find anything in article 13 of the CBA that would lead me to believe that's the case. I may have missed the applicable section, but from what I can tell, there's nothing that says you have to recall a player in order to trade his rights.

Gusher 01-06-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 30015017)
I couldn't find anything in article 13 of the CBA that would lead me to believe that's the case. I may have missed the applicable section, but from what I can tell, there's nothing that says you have to recall a player in order to trade his rights.

When they are signed to an NHL contract they have to clear any sort of waivers to have their rights dealt. Had Souray been on a 2-way deal you could trade him to an NHL or AHL team. But, he's on a 1-way. Therefor, he would have to clear re-entry waivers in order to be traded to another team.

cfrancis 01-06-2011 01:00 PM

pass

Perfect_Drug 01-06-2011 01:09 PM

Say what you want about Lowe n Company, but I have yet to be disappointed with the D moves they've made thus far.

The Pronger and Souray fiasco were not direct problems in the procurement and development/identifying of talent... they were both disgruntled players demanding trades to the media.

misfit 01-06-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusher (Post 30015207)
When they are signed to an NHL contract they have to clear any sort of waivers to have their rights dealt. Had Souray been on a 2-way deal you could trade him to an NHL or AHL team. But, he's on a 1-way. Therefor, he would have to clear re-entry waivers in order to be traded to another team.

I'm not calling you a liar, but you're going to have to show me something more official to support that for me to believe that to be the case, because this is the closest thing I can find in regards to waivers being needed in trading a player:

13.23 <snip> For the balance of the Playing Season, any suck Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I couldn't copy and paste, so I only typed out the end bit.

Oilerdiehard 01-06-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusher (Post 30015207)

I doubt it happens and with two more seasons left after this one. I would not want it (maybe if it was only one more season).

But I am sure there would be a way around that if true. Such as say a 6th rounder for Commodore. Then the Oil "lend" Souray to the Jackets farm team for the remainder of this season. Jackets then send a 4th rounder or something for Souray's rights in the Summer.

Ol' Jase 01-06-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit (Post 30015492)
I'm not calling you a liar, but you're going to have to show me something more official to support that for me to believe that to be the case, because this is the closest thing I can find in regards to waivers being needed in trading a player:

13.23 <snip> For the balance of the Playing Season, any suck Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

I couldn't copy and paste, so I only typed out the end bit.

I laughed quite heartily.