HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Proposal: Realistic trade options? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=863994)

Naki 01-12-2011 10:22 AM

Realistic trade options?

What are some realistic trade options for the Sharks to fix their issues on D?

I was talking to a friend who is a predators fan and he thinks Cody Franson might be a step in the right direction on the blue line. I think Franson is more a offensive defenseman who might not be much of an upgrade in the defensive zone.

I suggested Mitchell for Franson. He wanted Setoguchi for Franson.

Do either of those seem fair or possible?

sjshark91 01-12-2011 10:47 AM

I'd rather send McGinn but whatever.

Naki 01-12-2011 10:49 AM

sending a guy with 0 goals in 43 games to a team looking to add to its offense would be a tough sell.
McGinn is a Nashville style of player though.

sjshark91 01-12-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naki (Post 30157670)
sending a guy with 0 goals in 43 games to a team looking to add to its offense would be a tough sell.
McGinn is a Nashville style of player though.

But Doug's a master Gm.:sarcasm:

Naki 01-12-2011 10:54 AM

In that case

Thornton and Wallin for Weber, Suter and Renne.

sjshrky27 01-12-2011 11:08 AM

I dont care what they do at this point. I just want a knee-jerk reaction by DW, and put some fear in this team.

lol3rdround 01-12-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshrky27 (Post 30157939)
I dont care what they do at this point. I just want a knee-jerk reaction by DW, and put some fear in this team.

yes.

Naki 01-12-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshrky27 (Post 30157939)

so Heatley to the Rangers is the kind of deal you want?

TexasShark 01-12-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naki (Post 30157994)

The sharks appear to have too much money (cap) committed to the forwards for too long. Dealing Heatley (the most likely of the top three to be moved) for someone like Drury, who has a similar cap hit but is paid only $5M in real money for next year, would be a way to enable that money to be spend on the D sooner rather than later. Drury is playing like a 3rd line C at this time, would be overpaid by about $2-3M for next season in that role, but would be off the books or potentially resigned at a much lower number if he worked out.

I can't see teams giving up the D we need directly in a deal for Heatley, so the other options available are limited.

Assuming you brought in someone like Drury, you then have to unload other players like Mitchel etc and create some additional cap space to add D for this season if you still consider the sharks in position to make a run.

This isn't ideal and certainly doesn't provide the kind of value you would want for a player like Heatley, but you have to look at the deal as a way of redistributing $$'s to the defense as quickly as possible.

sjshrky27 01-12-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

hockeyball 01-12-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasShark (Post 30158239)
The sharks appear to have too much money (cap) committed to the forwards for too long. Dealing Heatley (the most likely of the top three to be moved) for someone like Drury, who has a similar cap hit but is paid only $5M in real money for next year, would be a way to enable that money to be spend on the D sooner rather than later. Drury is playing like a 3rd line C at this time, would be overpaid by about $2-3M for next season in that role, but would be off the books or potentially resigned at a much lower number if he worked out.

I can't see teams giving up the D we need directly in a deal for Heatley, so the other options available are limited.

Assuming you brought in someone like Drury, you then have to unload other players like Mitchel etc and create some additional cap space to add D for this season if you still consider the sharks in position to make a run.

This isn't ideal and certainly doesn't provide the kind of value you would want for a player like Heatley, but you have to look at the deal as a way of redistributing $$'s to the defense as quickly as possible.

That is the worst possible idea. Right now we are tying up 7.5m in a guy who is leading the team in points. You would tie 7m (cap) up in a guy that is utterly worthless to this team? (Our 3rd and 4th lines are not our issue).

I have no problem with moving Heatley, but it had better either return a defensemen, or clear space for a defensemen. What we don't need to be doing is screwing ourselves over next year in a futile effort to win the cup.

ChompChomp 01-12-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

For a package headlined by Marc Staal, yes.

Artful_Dodger* 01-12-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 30158349)
That is the worst possible idea. Right now we are tying up 7.5m in a guy who is leading the team in points. You would tie 7m (cap) up in a guy that is utterly worthless to this team? (Our 3rd and 4th lines are not our issue).

I have no problem with moving Heatley, but it had better either return a defensemen, or clear space for a defensemen. What we don't need to be doing is screwing ourselves over next year in a futile effort to win the cup.

At least it's realistic. It also has little to do with winning the cup and everything to do with getting cap space to address the deficiencies on this team ASAP (Drury only has one more year on his deal).

Good luck moving Heatley and his contract for cap space. You might gain some space, but most likely not what you'll need to turn around and acquire legitimate help on D. Not to mention you're gonna have to give up additional assets to get that D help after you've already traded Heatley. Unless your plan is to wait until the offseason.

That's not even considering the fact that you'll be handing over that cap space to DW, who did a bang up job with the space gained from the Nabokov and Blake departures.

19sharks19 01-12-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naki (Post 30157728)
In that case

Thornton and Wallin for Weber, Suter and Renne.

How about Heatley, Wallin and Niemi for Weber and Rinne? Heatley well before big Joe in any major deal.

Quote:

We need an agitator on this team. Someone whom will crash the net. How about a Mitchell, Mayers and Huskins deal for Avery?

Naki 01-12-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19sharks19 (Post 30158952)
How about Heatley, Wallin and Niemi for Weber and Rinne? Heatley well before big Joe in any major deal.

Problem with this deal is you are going to pay Heatley 7.5 mil you might as well just offer that much to Weber. He is younger and a better option for the way Nashville has built their team.

Quote:

We need an agitator on this team. Someone whom will crash the net. How about a Mitchell, Mayers and Huskins deal for Avery?
Avery on this team would be about as effective as he was in Dallas. Getting Avery would almost guarantee the sharks a lottery pick.

Although, if the sharks arent going to make the playoffs I wouldnt mind seeing a trade for Ott and having him on a line with Thornton just to see if we could get a fight between team mates.

Herschel 01-12-2011 12:09 PM

I would like to see a trade made with Buffalo, two move make sense IMO

Niedermayer + Rivet/Montador

For me the Sharks address multiple needs with these pick ups.

Neidermayer adds shutdown centre who can easily take over the 3rd line role if Couture is out for any period of time. He is responsible in his own zone and will help make up for the inexperience of guys like Braun and Demers.

Rivet and Montador are both have good shots and can spend time on the PP, both are able to play top 4 minutes.

Since all these players are UFA it shouldn't take too much to make a deal like this happen.

Naki 01-12-2011 12:14 PM

Rivet seems past his prime. Remember that he was a health scratch a few games because of his ineffectiveness. He would be about on par with Wallin in the San Jose I think.

19sharks19 01-12-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naki (Post 30159000)
Problem with this deal is you are going to pay Heatley 7.5 mil you might as well just offer that much to Weber. He is younger and a better option for the way Nashville has built their team.

Avery on this team would be about as effective as he was in Dallas. Getting Avery would almost guarantee the sharks a lottery pick.

Although, if the sharks arent going to make the playoffs I wouldnt mind seeing a trade for Ott and having him on a line with Thornton just to see if we could get a fight between team mates.

Weber would be an excellent addition. absolutely, even at Heatleys dollars. That Ott scenario would be a fun situation. At least we'd be seeing more of the angry Joe!

Jesus Toews* 01-12-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herschel (Post 30159005)
I would like to see a trade made with Buffalo, two move make sense IMO

Niedermayer + Rivet/Montador

For me the Sharks address multiple needs with these pick ups.

Neidermayer adds shutdown centre who can easily take over the 3rd line role if Couture is out for any period of time. He is responsible in his own zone and will help make up for the inexperience of guys like Braun and Demers.

Rivet and Montador are both have good shots and can spend time on the PP, both are able to play top 4 minutes.

Since all these players are UFA it shouldn't take too much to make a deal like this happen.

I'm guessing you haven't seen much of Buffalo this year. Niedermayer and Rivet aren't just useless, they add negative value to their team. Rivet wasn't the answer back in 08 and he certainly isn't the answer now. Montador is a trade that will probably be DW's ~big deadline splash~ since, according to someone in the know, Dougie has a mancrush on the guy. It wouldn't be as disastrous as Rivet but it isn't exactly what this team needs either.

Doug blew it in the offseason. For a GM vaunted for his trading ability, he blew it on Halak and Ballard and was predictably spurned by every FA. With the right moves to address the defense, this team could be competitive even despite the four behemoth contracts. I see this team as going in very much the same direction as JFJ's Maple Leafs post-lockout. Hopefully we don't get a Burke-like moron to succeed DW and trade away all our draft picks.

hockeyball 01-12-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger (Post 30158665)
At least it's realistic. It also has little to do with winning the cup and everything to do with getting cap space to address the deficiencies on this team ASAP (Drury only has one more year on his deal).

Good luck moving Heatley and his contract for cap space. You might gain some space, but most likely not what you'll need to turn around and acquire legitimate help on D. Not to mention you're gonna have to give up additional assets to get that D help after you've already traded Heatley. Unless your plan is to wait until the offseason.

That's not even considering the fact that you'll be handing over that cap space to DW, who did a bang up job with the space gained from the Nabokov and Blake departures.

You realize Drury's cap his is 7m right? Your cleaning .5m in cap space this season, how does that help us? We certainly are not going to win the cup this season (I've been saying that since the off-season) so yes obviously don't waste assets trying.

Next season we lose Wallin, Huskins and Niemi's cap hits. Niitty does not have a NTC and can also be moved if need be. Seto or Mcginn do not look likely to receive raises either. We already have Boyle, Vlasic, Murray and Demers locked up through next season. We have Braun ready for full time NHL duty at league minimum. On top of that, if we can find a way to offload one of our big 4 contracts we honestly are in pretty good position to recoup some draft picks and prospects, clear some space, and possibly fill out our roster with a UFA.

So yes, for gods sake, wait till the off-season unless the trade is a no-brainer.

Herschel 01-12-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naki (Post 30159095)
Rivet seems past his prime. Remember that he was a health scratch a few games because of his ineffectiveness. He would be about on par with Wallin in the San Jose I think.

I agree he is past his prime, however I think he is an upgrade at the 4-5 position. I also think his PP experience and shot are assets that are needed.

hockeyball 01-12-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herschel (Post 30159292)
I agree he is past his prime, however I think he is an upgrade at the 4-5 position. I also think his PP experience and shot are assets that are needed.

I loved Rivet when he was hear, and was furious when he was run out of town.

However, now, he's worthless. I wouldn't want him near this team as a player. Think he'll make a decent coach one day though.

ChompChomp 01-12-2011 12:27 PM

Seto, Huskins and a 1st for Tyutin and (rental) Hejda.

Waive Wallin.

sjshrky27 01-12-2011 12:27 PM

Can McGinn be sent to the minors?

sjshrky27 01-12-2011 12:28 PM

Heatley for Byfuglien