HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Central Europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Czech Republic: CZE at 2011 WHC in Slovakia (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=864568)

zorz 01-13-2011 02:06 PM

CZE at 2011 WHC in Slovakia

I'm not original once more, but I was so bored when no international events are going on I just had to make this thread. This is not a prediction. It's just my opinion which players I see under the radar for WHC right now. All thoughts are welcome.

NHL
Tomáš Vokoun

Filip Kuba
Radek Martínek
Roman Polák
Ladislav Šmíd

Patrik Eliáš
Aleš Hemský

KHL
Jakub Štěpánek

Michal Barinka
Miroslav Blaťák
Petr Čáslava
Tomáš Mojžíš
Ondřej Němec
Karel Rachůnek
Martin Škoula

Pavel Brendl
Jan Bulis
Roman Červenka
Zbyněk Irgl
Jaromír Jágr
Lukáš Kašpar
Jakub Klepiš
Jan Marek
Jiří Novotný
Petr Průcha
Tomáš Rolinek
Josef Straka
Petr Sýkora
Petr Vampola
Josef Vašíček

Extraliga
Lukáš Krajíček

Milan Gulaš
Petr Koukal
Jan Kovář
Marek Kvapil
Martin Růžička

SEL
Alexander Salák

SM-liiga
Vladimír Sičák

Kamil Kreps

NLA
Jaroslav Bednář

comments:
- I wrote only those NHL players who are already (almost) locked not to make SC playoffs.
- some players need to start playing better soon to have a shot at making the team, but I think there is some chance they might do it (Brendl, Bulis, Irgl, Sýkora).
- I was also thinking about Petr Sýkora of Davos, but he refused latest EHT tournament and I think that is his end in the national team for this season, that's why I didn't mention him.
- does anybody see some Extraliga players capable of making WHC roster besides those 4 I listed? Hubáček is not doing good and I think he shouldn't be there right now (but Hadamczik likes him, so who knows-the same can be said about Irgl), Koukal is the same case-not so impressive season etc...

joey16 01-14-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30182561)
- does anybody see some Extraliga players capable of making WHC roster besides those 4 I listed? Hubáček is not doing good and I think he shouldn't be there right now (but Hadamczik likes him, so who knows-the same can be said about Irgl), Koukal is the same case-not so impressive season etc...

Well, i would maybe add just Milan Gulaš and Radim Hruška, especially Hruška could be very good in one line with Kvapil, but i think Hadamczik is not so courageous to do it

zorz 01-14-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey16 (Post 30208440)
Well, i would maybe add just Milan Gulaš and Radim Hruška, especially Hruška could be very good in one line with Kvapil, but i think Hadamczik is not so courageous to do it

We have 13 forwards spots, personally I don't see Hruška or Gulaš being one of top13 available at any situation. They might get a chance at EHT and prove me wrong, I hope so! ;)

joey16 01-14-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30209937)
We have 13 forwards spots, personally I don't see Hruška or Gulaš being one of top13 available at any situation. They might get a chance at EHT and prove me wrong, I hope so! ;)

Well, yeah, i just added potential ELH players, who knows, last year there was also pretty unexpected roster (although i know there were Olympics). But I definitely think Hruška should get a chance at EHT. I don´t know but I think they might be with Kvapil something like Patera-Procházka.

slovakiasnextone 01-15-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey16 (Post 30214508)
Well, yeah, i just added potential ELH players, who knows, last year there was also pretty unexpected roster (although i know there were Olympics). But I definitely think Hruška should get a chance at EHT. I don´t know but I think they might be with Kvapil something like Patera-Procházka.

If the WC in SK will be anything like the Czech 2004 IHWC then the Czech boys will find themselves pretty much playing on home soil and I can´t see many of them wanting to miss that.

zorz 01-15-2011 05:10 AM

I agree with slovakiasnextone that we should be a little bit stronger on paper than last year, that was just extreme. Personally I think the only (almost) guaranteed player from Extraliga to make the final roster is Kvapil. But if I was the coach I would take also Kovář as 13th forward, he has some serious potential and certainly would use that experience.

joey16 01-15-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30221623)
I agree with slovakiasnextone that we should be a little bit stronger on paper than last year, that was just extreme. Personally I think the only (almost) guaranteed player from Extraliga to make the final roster is Kvapil. But if I was the coach I would take also Kovář as 13th forward, he has some serious potential and certainly would use that experience.

Yes i agree with both of you guys. And speaking about this, Jan Káňa could be also pretty good choice as a young 13th forward, he is a shooter with very good potential, but i think he will be much stronger in two, three years...

zorz 01-15-2011 01:35 PM

I was thinking about the lineup, but it's just for fun of course, because many will change in 3.5 moths. I'd make it right now like this:

Štěpánek (Kuba is just perfect so far this season)
Salák (didn't see him, but he's doing well according to his stats)

Blaťák - Rachůnek
(play together on the NT for a long time, great D-men)
Čáslava - Němec
(they also have played together before. I really hope Hadamczik takes Němec - he needs to play internationally, we'll need him soon to be one of our top European D)
Šmíd - Škoula
(Škoula was really bad at Karjala, but he's doing well in Omsk, I think he will be there)
Krajíček

Eliáš - Vašíček - Hemský
(fans blamed Eliáš after latest Olympics but I think he's still great player and it'd be great if he comes. Vašíček - he's playing really great on the top line of one of the best KHL teams, why do we still use him as a third liner? I'd try to put him on the top line)
Červenka - Vampola - Jágr
(know each other from Omsk, I think it could really work well this time)
Rolinek - Marek - Kvapil
(very dangerous line IMO, Rolinek and Marek looked very well together during latest EHT tournament)
Kašpar - Klepiš - Novotný
(Kašpar and Novotný play together during the whole season, no way we split them... and Klepiš seems to me that he's always doing well on the national team and he's having better season than last one)
Růžička
(I revised Kovář as 13th forward, Růžička would be still better choice right now)

Swipes 01-15-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30225171)
I was thinking about the lineup, but it's just for fun of course, because many will change in 3.5 moths. I'd make it right now like this:

Štěpánek (Kuba is just perfect so far this season)
Salák (didn't see him, but he's doing well according to his stats)

Blaťák - Rachůnek
(play together on the NT for a long time, great D-men)
Čáslava - Němec
(they also have played together before. I really hope Hadamczik takes Němec - he needs to play internationally, we'll need him soon to be one of our top European D)
Šmíd - Škoula
(Škoula was really bad at Karjala, but he's doing well in Omsk, I think he will be there)
Krajíček

Eliáš - Vašíček - Hemský
(fans blamed Eliáš after latest Olympics but I think he's still great player and it'd be great if he comes. Vašíček - he's playing really great on the top line of one of the best KHL teams, why do we still use him as a third liner? I'd try to put him on the top line)
Rolinek - Marek - Kvapil
(very dangerous line IMO, Rolinek and Marek looked very well together during latest EHT tournament)
(Kašpar and Novotný play together during the whole season, no way we split them... and Klepiš seems to me that he's always doing well on the national team and he's having better season than last one)
Růžička
(I revised Kovář as 13th forward, Růžička would be still better choice right now)

Looks pretty good. I'd be tempted to throw Kovar in line 3 or maybe 2, just to see what he can do. I'm also not sure about Vasicek on line 1 (although you make a good point) he's more suited to lines 3 or 4. Klepis should be either on line 1 or 2, not 4. Elias is getting a bit old, he will probably excuse himself. Again, this is just my opinion, and it's all dependent on how many players from the NHL are available (as always) I do really hope he takes Kovar though.

zorz 01-15-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swipes (Post 30225711)
Looks pretty good. I'd be tempted to throw Kovar in line 3 or maybe 2, just to see what he can do. I'm also not sure about Vasicek on line 1 (although you make a good point) he's more suited to lines 3 or 4. Klepis should be either on line 1 or 2, not 4. Elias is getting a bit old, he will probably excuse himself. Again, this is just my opinion, and it's all dependent on how many players from the NHL are available (as always) I do really hope he takes Kovar though.

True, but I just didn't know who could be center if we get some decent NHL wings... Vašíček seems to be the best choice available in my eyes :dunno: I agree Klepiš should be higher, maybe he could switch Vampola. Kovář could be maybe on the second line with Marek and Rolinek if we don't get NHL forwards and Červenka+Jágr go to the top line.

EDIT: I just remembered another thing I wanted to say... if we are able to have some solid 3rd and 4th line this time, we could deal with that problem of having somebody like Klepiš etc. on the 4th line just with making ice time of all 4 lines more even. It would also help not to get tired after few games played during short time.

Swipes 01-15-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30226994)
EDIT: I just remembered another thing I wanted to say... if we are able to have some solid 3rd and 4th line this time, we could deal with that problem of having somebody like Klepiš etc. on the 4th line just with making ice time of all 4 lines more even. It would also help not to get tired after few games played during short time.

Yes, good point. 4 solid lines where you have players who can decide games/score important goals would definitely be good. I've just realized that we have players playing in the Sm-liiga who are doing pretty well and could also be added to your list for consideration for the world championship. Guys like Plihal (52 gp 37 points) Birner (58 gp, 45 points) and Petruzalek (35gp 28 points). Obviously, it'd be stupid to judge them just based on stats, but they don't seem to be doing too badly. There's also Melichar in the swedish league.

Tatanik 01-15-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30225171)
Eliáš - Vašíček - Hemský
Rolinek - Marek - Kvapil
Růžička

No Bednar? Has he retired from international competition or something?

If I was the Czech coach, I'd be sticking Bednar and Červenka together as often as I could.

zorz 01-16-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swipes (Post 30229689)
Yes, good point. 4 solid lines where you have players who can decide games/score important goals would definitely be good. I've just realized that we have players playing in the Sm-liiga who are doing pretty well and could also be added to your list for consideration for the world championship. Guys like Plihal (52 gp 37 points) Birner (58 gp, 45 points) and Petruzalek (35gp 28 points). Obviously, it'd be stupid to judge them just based on stats, but they don't seem to be doing too badly. There's also Melichar in the swedish league.

I agree with Petružálek, but Plíhal and Birner are having not-so-good seasons based on stats (Birner, Plihal). I really don't see them cracking the roster right now, but it can change with time. The same could be said about Melichar and Sičák maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov (Post 30230161)
No Bednar? Has he retired from international competition or something?

If I was the Czech coach, I'd be sticking Bednar and Červenka together as often as I could.

I think that's only part of history now. Červenka plays a wing in Omsk with Jagr. Hadamczik would have to split them and take Bednář just because they had played well together 2 years ago... don't see it happening.

TheFatOne 01-16-2011 02:49 AM

Blaťák - Rachůnek
Čáslava - Martínek
Krajíček - Škoula
Melichar - Sevc

Hlavac - Hlinka - Vašíček
Průcha - Cervenka - Jágr
Michalek - Vampola - Piros

Tatanik 01-16-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30243599)
I think that's only part of history now. Červenka plays a wing in Omsk with Jagr. Hadamczik would have to split them and take Bednář just because they had played well together 2 years ago... don't see it happening.

Červenka at center with Jagr and Bednář?

zorz 01-16-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov (Post 30245495)
Červenka at center with Jagr and Bednář?

I'm not fan of that, but it's just my opinion of course... I think we can't have 2 veterans like Jágr and Bednář together with Červenka. That line needs more defense at centre IMO.

Ciccarelli 01-16-2011 01:07 PM

About the Czechs in SM-Liiga, is Kamil Kreps completely out of the question considering 3rd/4th line defensive centerman duties..? Plihal and Birner were both already selected to the team last year, but had the be left out becose of injuries, this year their team, TPS, have done significantly worse (well going from the champions to the worst team in the whole league :shakehead) and neither should probably be even considerated (eventhough Plihal has picked up his pace recently I don't think it's a good idea to pick players from teams that are so customed to losing, barring the NHL from where you obviosly take anyone you can lure). Petruzalek would need to be in a scoring line, if even cosidered to make the team, IMHO he is off no use in a checking line, although knowing how the Czech teams are usually formed there are four scoring lines in a team. :sarcasm:

zorz 01-16-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ciccarelli (Post 30247649)
About the Czechs in SM-Liiga, is Kamil Kreps completely out of the question considering 3rd/4th line defensive centerman duties..? Plihal and Birner were both already selected to the team last year, but had the be left out becose of injuries, this year their team, TPS, have done significantly worse (well going from the champions to the worst team in the whole league :shakehead) and neither should probably be even considerated (eventhough Plihal has picked up his pace recently I don't think it's a good idea to pick players from teams that are so customed to losing, barring the NHL from where you obviosly take anyone you can lure). Petruzalek would need to be in a scoring line, if even cosidered to make the team, IMHO he is off no use in a checking line, although knowing how the Czech teams are usually formed there are four scoring lines in a team. :sarcasm:

:D thx for you insight, much appreciated! Yeah I'll add Kreps to the list. I didn't know he's already recovered from his injury.

Rexor 01-16-2011 03:19 PM

I'd expect Frolík and Voráček to make the team. We need some young players in the mix and they are our most promising young guns anyway. Havlát could be there too, he's having a very good season and Hadamczik likes him a lot. Has Kaberle officially retired from international hockey?
We should be pretty strong in the net. Please no old guys such as Bednář, Hlinka, Hlaváč etc.
How about Hanzal? I cannot follow him in Phoenix but he seems to have a growing reputation as a capable two-way center... I'm not sure about his efectiveness on the big ice though.
Klesla should also be considered.

zorz 01-18-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexor (Post 30249625)
I'd expect Frolík and Voráček to make the team. We need some young players in the mix and they are our most promising young guns anyway. Havlát could be there too, he's having a very good season and Hadamczik likes him a lot. Has Kaberle officially retired from international hockey?
We should be pretty strong in the net. Please no old guys such as Bednář, Hlinka, Hlaváč etc.
How about Hanzal? I cannot follow him in Phoenix but he seems to have a growing reputation as a capable two-way center... I'm not sure about his efectiveness on the big ice though.
Klesla should also be considered.

I'm considering all of them, it's far from save to say they are making the playoffs. I listed just guys who are (for now) almost locked out of the playoffs with their teams. Btw. I wouldn't mind if we'd have also Sobotka on the team.

zorz 02-13-2011 02:07 AM

I think it's more than likely in this part of season that Ottawa isn't going to playoffs, so I added Kuba and Michálek to the list.

EDIT: I added also Koukal. He's not having so good season, but I think he showed at LG Hockey games that he's solid grinder and he might have a shot at making the team.

Krotak 02-13-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorz (Post 30878283)
EDIT: I added also Koukal. He's not having so good season, but I think he showed at LG Hockey games that he's solid grinder and he might have a shot at making the team.

Man, I have to tell you, that Koukal is my favorite Czech player :nod:. I liked what he did for Czech NT in last WC = good job. However first time I've heard about this player was the game NHL 09. I had no problem at difficult level to beat Detroit Red Wings with HC Pardubice and every time Koukal had at least 2 goals :laugh:. I even defeated my biggest rival with HC Pardubice, while he played with Detroit Red Wings :vhappy: and Koukal was better than Datsiuk :D. And then at WC 2010 my dreams came true. Koukal won a game against Datsiuk.

zorz 02-13-2011 12:10 PM

Hadamczik's gonna have meeting with Michalek and Kuba in March (http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?lng=CZ...lanek&id=51429). So there should be good chance these two will arrive to play in Slovakia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krotak (Post 30880318)
Man, I have to tell you, that Koukal is my favorite Czech player :nod:. I liked what he did for Czech NT in last WC = good job. However first time I've heard about this player was the game NHL 09. I had no problem at difficult level to beat Detroit Red Wings with HC Pardubice and every time Koukal had at least 2 goals :laugh:. I even defeated my biggest rival with HC Pardubice, while he played with Detroit Red Wings :vhappy: and Koukal was better than Datsiuk :D. And then at WC 2010 my dreams came true. Koukal won a game against Datsiuk.

nice story ;)

smitty10 02-13-2011 12:42 PM

I'd say quite a few NHLers will be eligible to play at the WC because of their teams either not making the playoffs or being eliminated quickly in the first round.

Here are the players that I think will probably be out of the playoffs and eligible.

Ondrej Pavelec
Jiri Tlusty
Jan Hejda
Rostislav Klesla
Jakub Voracek
Tomas Vincour
Rusty Olesz
Radek Dvorak
Ales Hemsky
Ladislav Smid
Marek Zidlicky
Martin Havlat
Martin Erat
Patrik Elias
Martin Hanzal
Michal Rozsival
Radim Vrbata
Roman Polak
Vladimir Sobotka
Tomas Kaberle

Note: I left Martinek and Vokoun out because I think both will probably be traded to contenders and will probably get to at least the second round.

zorz 02-13-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 30883110)
I'd say quite a few NHLers will be eligible to play at the WC because of their teams either not making the playoffs or being eliminated quickly in the first round.

Here are the players that I think will probably be out of the playoffs and eligible.

Ondrej Pavelec
Jiri Tlusty
Jan Hejda
Rostislav Klesla
Jakub Voracek
Tomas Vincour
Rusty Olesz
Radek Dvorak
Ales Hemsky
Ladislav Smid
Marek Zidlicky
Martin Havlat
Martin Erat
Patrik Elias
Martin Hanzal
Michal Rozsival
Radim Vrbata
Roman Polak
Vladimir Sobotka
Tomas Kaberle

Note: I left Martinek and Vokoun out because I think both will probably be traded to contenders and will probably get to at least the second round.

Good list. I was just being cautious here with mentioning NHL'ers, because I didn't want to insult fans of any team by saying they are already out of the playoffs too early :)

Here is the list of guys from KHL that are IMO locked to make the roster no matter how many NHLers will be able to come:

Štěpánek
Blaťák
Rachůnek
Červenka
Jágr
Rolinek

and these guys don't have any disadvantage compared to players from NHL when considering invitation I think:

Čáslava
Němec
Škoula
Kašpar
Klepiš
Marek
Novotný
Vašíček

All other players don't have a chance to make the team if there is some available NHL player for their position in the same time. At least I think so... nobody knows Hadamczik's plans yet.