HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   In Appreciation of (Perhaps) The Best 3rd Line in the NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=864873)

bobbop 01-14-2011 06:11 AM

In Appreciation of (Perhaps) The Best 3rd Line in the NHL

For years, the lacking of an effective 3rd/checking line was a weak spot in the Rangers lineup. No longer. Through some subtle moves by Sather, excellent coaching and great determination from the players themselves, The Boyle-Prust-Fedetenko line is becoming one of the best, IF NOT THE BEST third lines in the NHL. Great puck possession, outstanding penalty killing and a work ethic that sets the tone for the entire team.

Quote:

Games Goals Assists Points +/-
Brian Boyle 45 14 8 22 8
Ruslan Fedotenko 45 8 10 18 8
Brandon Prust 45 5 10 15 5
These guys are good. They deserve a tip of the hat.

proper animal 01-14-2011 09:23 AM

'Couldn't agree more, I love the work these guys do every night. Torts putting them out against the Sedin line last night is a testament to how much faith he has in them as well. A very well deserved tip of the hat.

rangers4ever2007 01-14-2011 09:26 AM

yay, a shutdown line capable of being a threat on offense too. (unlike sjostrom-betts-orr)

Inferno 01-14-2011 01:42 PM

best 3rd line? that may be a stretch. best 4th line by a huge margin for sure.

they are a damn good 3rd line though. they play so damn well together. they work the boards...they can seem to find each other without any peeking at all, and they play solid defensive hockey. hard to complain about em.

ecemleafs 01-14-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 30208372)
best 3rd line? that may be a stretch. best 4th line by a huge margin for sure.

they are a damn good 3rd line though. they play so damn well together. they work the boards...they can seem to find each other without any peeking at all, and they play solid defensive hockey. hard to complain about em.

they arent the 4th line though. they are our 3rd line this year.

BlueshirtBlitz 01-14-2011 02:07 PM

I'll point to last nights game when people say Feds-Boyle-Prust are a 4th line. I just think when it comes to bottom 6 guys chemistry has a huge role in how good you play. This line has shown amazing chemistry since they were put together, and even if they're 4th liners individually the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here.

When you have a line that shuts down, and at times DOMINATES a line with the Sedin twins, you know you have something great.

Dredden 01-14-2011 02:17 PM

Love this line.

Bluenote13 01-14-2011 02:25 PM

I always knew Boyle had it in him. Feds still has some gas left in the tank. But Prust is the one who always surprises me, his game is always there night after night and he's gotten better as time goes on. He was a great pickup.

ogie 01-14-2011 02:30 PM

i love the energy this line has , but god damn Prust has stone hands. If he was just a little bit better of a passer this line would be amazing.

BlueshirtBlitz 01-14-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 30209146)
i love the energy this line has , but god damn Prust has stone hands. If he was just a little bit better of a passer this line would be amazing.

Some games Prust looks like the best passer on this team. Dislike the stone hands nickname.

Wraparounds 01-14-2011 02:41 PM

I don't know whether call this our 3rd or 4th line, but they've done an amazing job shutting other team's scoring down and giving us some impressive forechecking. The only thing I would like to see more from them is to maybe pot one every few games.

MSG the place to be* 01-14-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 30209311)
Some games Prust looks like the best passer on this team. Dislike the stone hands nickname.

Beginning of the season, yes. Now he's carrying the puck and able to dish it pretty well.

ogie 01-14-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 30209597)
Beginning of the season, yes. Now he's carrying the puck and able to dish it pretty well.

he can definitely carry the puck, and he's got a motor but every game there are moments when he makes bad passes or decisions that negate all that hard work he just did.

not knocking the guy, just saying.

Canjo 01-14-2011 03:46 PM

its sort of a strange feeling, getting excited when a certain line is on the ice, especially it being a third line, but immediately start to think that a game might start to turn around when this line comes on the ice, and the strangest part: it actually happens!!! :D:D:yo:

MisterUnspoken 01-14-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 30209074)
I always knew Boyle had it in him. Feds still has some gas left in the tank. But Prust is the one who always surprises me, his game is always there night after night and he's gotten better as time goes on. He was a great pickup.

Sather strikes again.... ;)

Sad London Ranger 01-14-2011 04:26 PM

I felt from the get go the Feds was the man this team needed.
the Surprise man of the season is however Boyle, he must be the most improved player in the NHL this year.

Lion Hound 01-14-2011 04:50 PM

Someone on this board has been mentioning Boyle as a better RW than he is a center. Maybe even top 6 material, and I kind of like the idea too. Big kid, good shot. Good skater, and good hockey sense.

...But then reality smacks me in the face! How can you ever break up this line up? They are excellent together.

Continuation of last season when Shelley was with them. Fedotenko obviously a better player, but overall these guys have great chemistry.

bobbop 01-14-2011 05:21 PM

The best comparison I can come up with is the Travis Moen-Rob Niedemeyer-Samuel Paullsson "checking" line that played together in Anaheimn a few years ago. Dead nuts shutdown defensive line and plenty of puck possession and offense to boot. It's a classic checking line. Torts' starts them most games (all road games) knowing it doesn't matter who they are up against, they won't be overmatched.

Bluenote13 01-14-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken (Post 30210688)
Sather strikes again.... ;)

After all, he does deserve credit for some things;)

NHRangerfan 01-14-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbop (Post 30203067)
For years, the lacking of an effective 3rd/checking line was a weak spot in the Rangers lineup. No longer. Through some subtle moves by Sather, excellent coaching and great determination from the players themselves, The Boyle-Prust-Fedetenko line is becoming one of the best, IF NOT THE BEST third lines in the NHL. Great puck possession, outstanding penalty killing and a work ethic that sets the tone for the entire team.

These guys are good. They deserve a tip of the hat.

Great thread...well deserved kudos for the entire line. They bring it every shift of every game...best word to describe them is relentless

HockeyBurd* 01-14-2011 05:58 PM

You can't say a 4th line eats up this many important minutes and is out in critical situations. When Boyle sucked, this was a 4th line. Now it's definitely the third line. And one of those third lines that you put out there when the going gets tough. A Bobby Holik hay-day type of 3rd line. I don't know that it's the best but it's one of the best... at least to this point. Call me a skeptic but it's really hard to believe that they can replicate this kind of production in the second half. That would be monumental.

NHRangerfan 01-14-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBurd (Post 30212425)
You can't say a 4th line eats up this many important minutes and is out in critical situations. When Boyle sucked, this was a 4th line. Now it's definitely the third line. And one of those third lines that you put out there when the going gets tough. A Bobby Holik hay-day type of 3rd line. I don't know that it's the best but it's one of the best... at least to this point. Call me a skeptic but it's really hard to believe that they can replicate this kind of production in the second half. That would be monumental.

I think they can replicate it in the 2nd half because they have been getting better and getting more confident every game, and Torts has given them more minutes and responsibility as a result of their performance.

KingWantsCup 01-14-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 30208779)
I'll point to last nights game when people say Feds-Boyle-Prust are a 4th line. I just think when it comes to bottom 6 guys chemistry has a huge role in how good you play. This line has shown amazing chemistry since they were put together, and even if they're 4th liners individually the whole is greater than the sum of its parts here.

When you have a line that shuts down, and at times DOMINATES a line with the Sedin twins, you know you have something great.

They honestly did. It was astounding to watch. The Rangers had control of that game and the third line was a huge reason for that.

mrhockey193195 01-14-2011 06:46 PM

Not going to deny it, I gave up on Boyle after one year, and I was incredibly skeptical of bringing in Fedotenko. So glad these have proved me wrong, that unit has been one of the brightest points of this team this year.

darko 01-14-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 (Post 30213429)
Not going to deny it, I gave up on Boyle after one year, and I was incredibly skeptical of bringing in Fedotenko. So glad these have proved me wrong, that unit has been one of the brightest points of this team this year.

You, me and whole other bunch.