HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone else concerned about the lack of scoring? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=865195)

Hockey Team 01-14-2011 11:37 PM

Anyone else concerned about the lack of scoring?

We've won 4 of the last 7 games, but only have a total of 9 goals in those games. All the wins were 1 goal games and we actually have a negative goal differential for those games. Our scoring right now is devils bad, but we're playing very well defensively.

I could understand it if we were trapping as soon as we got a lead, but we're not. We still get offensive chances just that none of them pan out.

Florida Ranger 01-14-2011 11:40 PM

We were fine before these 7 or so games. I think it's just a slump in scoring. We'll definitley be back when Gaborik gets going.

I'm not worried.

Dredden 01-14-2011 11:42 PM

This team lacks creativity and skill. Majority of our goals are around the net from grinding. With the additions of Wolski and the emergence of Zuccarello the team should be able to pot a few more goals from their skill and playmaking. Down the stretch it will be much more difficult to score goals without Gabby producing. Im confident with this team winning 1-0 though.

Swept In Seven 01-14-2011 11:42 PM

not worried we are just slumping but it is a testament to the hard work these guys put in to every game for them to be winning games even though they are in an offensive funk.

LyNX27 01-14-2011 11:44 PM

I forget where, but someone posted our goal totals from the last 7 games and then the 7 games before that... One in which we scored 7 goals on the caps.

I think we are doing ok for now and that the defense is picking it up when the offense cant and its winning us games. Regardless, when Gaborik shakes off the cobwebs or steps his game up, we will see a bigger margin on the scoreboard.

I'm not worried, but I see room for improvement.

BlueshirtBlitz 01-14-2011 11:49 PM

It's not like we're not creating chances. Quite the opposite- many good chances are being negated by hot goalies or metal.

I'm not worried.

DoTheBlue 01-14-2011 11:58 PM

I mentioned this in another thread. Seems like they are not getting the bounces they were earlier in the season. They are getting some good chances though so I want to believe that eventually the tide will turn back in their favor.

Ail 01-15-2011 12:03 AM

Part of it is most of the goalies they have faced recently have all played admirable games. They are still creating chances and getting plenty of opportunities, but they have been downright robbed at times, or missed open nets recently.

I don't think there is much cause for concern. They just need one bad goalie to get them rolling again. I am hoping it happens with Philadelphia.

PanMan 01-15-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 30220192)
It's not like we're not creating chances. Quite the opposite- many good chances are being negated by hot goalies or metal.

I'm not worried.

Exactly, we're gettting plenty of scoring chances. If we weren't generating anything I'd be worried.

Pizza 01-15-2011 12:06 AM

It's frustrating, but we've been snake bit. The pucks were going in pretty easy there for a while. It will start going our way again. They're coming too close too many times for it not to.

n1cON 01-15-2011 12:49 AM

Im not concerned as long we score one more then the opponent :)

NYR Sting 01-15-2011 01:37 AM

It's been a season long concern for me, just as it has been for years now. It'll continue to be a major concern as long as the level of skill and talent remains as low as it is, relatively speaking. That's what happens when teams don't have a skilled puck distributor.

We've played 45 games and our goals per game average is a little elevated by a handful of scoring outbursts against really bad teams. Unfortunately, we've only replicated those kind of outbursts against top teams one or two teams, like the 7-0 game against the Craps and that nice win against the Pens, when we halted their big streak.

34 out of 45 games, we've scored 3 goals or less in a game. In 20 of those 34 games, we've scored 2 goals or less.

JimmyStart* 01-15-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 30221024)
It's been a season long concern for me, 34 out of 45 games, we've scored 3 goals or less in a game. In 20 of those 34 games, we've scored 2 goals or less.

It really has not felt like that but can't argue with the stats there. I guess they spread their 3-4 G games out even;ly through the season and they keep winning.

I noticed about two weeks ago that we'd failed to score more than 2 goals in reg in forever and rolled my eyes realizing we were about to enter our now annual 20 games of less than 2 G.A.A.

Then we brought up Zuke who seemed to inject some creativity and scoring chances back into the top line. (He also got two GWG) Then we got Wolski who just got a GWG. I think those three wins and 6 pts might still be covering up the fact that we def are in a major scoring slump.
Not to mention gabs has started playing better even going so far as to get one of his break aways for what felt like the first time this season. The fact we are actually getting a lot of chances (compared to the last two years when it seemed like we got 1 per game) is also helping and making me optimistic we'll break out.

bumrusherer 01-15-2011 05:54 AM

It concerns me because Gaborik isnt scoring. Until he starts scoring consistently, we will be asking of players who cant really be expected to score all that much to pick up the slack, instead of asking them to just help out.

We dont need to be explosive or anything. But when you get the goaltending that we get from both of our guys, you have to score enough goals to just give them a little breathing room.

We will need goals this weekend, thats for sure.

free0717 01-15-2011 06:00 AM

Gaborik concerns me because he has had so many opportunities to bury pucks and has shot wide, hit the goalie or post/crossbar.

Gabby has to start burying the puck.

Riche16 01-15-2011 09:48 AM

All we have is secondary scoring right now... The total opposite of last season. If we could get both I'd feel way better aboutthis team (I feel pretty good about them as is FYI). But we won't be a bonifide threat without both. I've been saying it for yrs.

jdhebner 01-15-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cON (Post 30220658)
Im not concerned as long we score one more then the opponent :)

To quantify:

Lack of Scoring concern factor = 0.0003458 times Lack of Winning concern factor.

haohmaru 01-15-2011 10:13 AM

13-3-1 in one goal games. Best in the league. As long as they've got one more than their opponent it's fine with me. Been a tough little stretch here, though.

TrollololBoyle 01-15-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyNX27 (Post 30220127)
I forget where, but someone posted our goal totals from the last 7 games and then the 7 games before that... One in which we scored 7 goals on the caps.

I think we are doing ok for now and that the defense is picking it up when the offense cant and its winning us games. Regardless, when Gaborik shakes off the cobwebs or steps his game up, we will see a bigger margin on the scoreboard.

I'm not worried, but I see room for improvement.

Main board. Some upset Canucks fan accused the Rangers of being boring because 'they play trap' the whole game.

Fitzy 01-15-2011 10:18 AM

Actually, I think its fantastic that we have been able to adjust and continue to win a fair number of games during what is clearly a goal scoring funk.

If we can keep up this play consistently, during the times when the puck is finding twine we should be a very good hockey club.

People hesitate to mention that while the bottom of the playoffs is not far off, neither really is the very top of the conference. This team, for the first time really since 05-06, has a legitimate chance to host an opening playoff round series, or at least draw an okay matchup.

The goals will come. We were getting some gift ones for awhile with Boyle and Gilroy, and now we've been robbed a few we should have had. It all evens out in the end.

Darrelle Lundqvist 01-15-2011 10:31 AM

I like the way we have been playing the past few games on defense,however I don't know how much longer we can win games scoring no more than two goals a night. I think Wolski will help Gabby get going.

SwedishBullet62 01-15-2011 10:41 AM

I'm not concerned, I like the fact thatthis team has adjusted to holding slight leads. Playing shutdown defense while still creating greatsclring chances, were just not finishing but that will all change when gabby gets going, Cali comes back and i hate to say it but when EC comes back.

Not worried

Vitto79 01-15-2011 10:45 AM

a little but on the other hand the team D has been great so with that it's all good. I am waiting for Gaborik to carry the team for a few weeks. Let's cross our fingers

Rangers44* 01-15-2011 10:46 AM

I think it is Tort's fault. He is juggling lines too much. He puts Avery on the 4th line when he clearly creates a ton of scoring chances. He plays Stepan for some strange reason on the PP point. Gilroy and Girardi are not very good as PP pointmen, but he keeps playing them there.

They really need to work on the art of passing/playmaking and taking the pass and not lose it or turn it over.

haohmaru 01-15-2011 10:48 AM

It's "Tort's fault" we're 26-16-3, too. He's got to be a candidate for coach of the year considering his a.) roster b.) injury-riddled team this season.