HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Larry Brooks: Move Dubinsky to center with Gaborik (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=866264)

RangerBoy 01-18-2011 06:35 AM

Move Dubinsky to center with Gaborik

Quote:

Without the injured Erik Christensen, an imperfect solution in his own right anyway, the Rangers have one center and one center only on the roster who's capable of helping Gaborik escape his deepening funk, only he's been playing left wing all season.

But now it's the time to move Brandon Dubinsky back into the middle in order to give Gaborik his best chance to succeed that in turn will give the Rangers their best chance to succeed the rest of the way.

Dubinsky has the shoulders and he has the presence to take on the job just as he had the bravado as a 21-year-old rookie to take on the assignment as Jaromir Jagr's pivot in 2007-08 and carry it off.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...xIUEg8pypjsXxL

Gaborik has to help himself. He is not shooting the puck. He is not hunting down loose pucks. When Gaborik does have an excellent scoring chance,he can't finish. Dubinsky and Gaborik didn't click last season. Why would they click this season? Dubinsky centered Jagr because Jammy Jagr had zero chemistry with Gomez and Drury. It's not like Jagr flourished playing with Dubinsky. After Nylander left,Dubinsky became Jagr's center by default. Dubinsky is better on the wing than at center. Uncle Larry wrote Jagr would thrive playing with Gomez. They were a terrible match. Gomez wanted to go while Jagr preferred Nylander's slow it down approach. Fast break and take the shot before 10 seconds was left on the shot clock versus run the half court offense and run a play with 8 seconds left. Gaborik clicked playing with Prospal but Vinny may never play another NHL game again.

Quote:

It is imperative that he makes the move to strengthen this team that consistently leaves it all on the ice yet nevertheless is no more than another bad week away from going into the All-Star break on the outside of the playoff picture looking in
You can make the same argument about half the other teams in playoff position in the east. Boston.Montreal.Atlanta and TB. Carolina is 7-2-2 in their last 11 and they are still 3 points out of 8th. They have games in hand on the teams above them but they need to win those games. They got blown out in one of the games in hand yesterday. Cam Ward has some kind of an injury suffered in the Ranger game two weeks ago. Back injury? Ward was pulled yesterday. Justin Peters has started some games since Ward got banged up.

SwedishBullet62 01-18-2011 06:53 AM

I agree gabby needs to help himself before we start taking the lineup apart to cater to king gaborik, at this point I'd rather not inconvenience the better more productive player(Dubinsky) than make sure king gaborik who can't help himself has a good center to maybe pot a couple goals. Gaborik has the skills to score by himself, it's up to him to do it, if he's hurt tell someone you need rest, if your just not sure of your shoulder sack up and just do it,hopefully it doesn't come to it but; I say if he keeps pace it's third line for gaborik when Cali comes back and let him earn his ice time because These lines aren't crying for a lackluster gaborik
wolski-stepan-zucca
Dubi-anisimov-Cali

Melrose_Jr. 01-18-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 30285139)
Dubinsky and Gaborik didn't click last season. Why would they click this season?

Who has he clicked with as a center?

I'm not averse to trying it, but to say it gives the Rangers their best chance to get Gaborik to generate offense is wishful thinking.

alkurtz 01-18-2011 06:58 AM

This is a dilemma.

As a center, Dubby has pretty good playmaking skills. They are less apparent (but still there) at wing.

As a center, my impression is that he is the type of player who makes his wingers more effective. Also, less apparent on the wing.

BUT, at wing he can be more physical and be more of a power forward.

I think young players suffer when they are jerked back and forth between roles: for example should MDZ be offensive or defensive, same with Gilroy, should Joba be a starter or reliever, same with Jennry Mejia with the Mets.

Dubby has grown a lot this year and become more consistent. He has found a niche as a winger and I am inclined to leave him there.

All summer long there was the ongoing discussion about whether Gabby even needed a playmaking center; that he was the type of player who created his own chances and opportunities. I think the verdict is in....Gabby needs a center who can maximize his abilities. But, though Dubinsky would certainly help him, I don't think it would be a good idea to move him.

As for Gabby, and I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads: I don't see his explosive speed or shot. If this guy is playing hurt, he should sit until he heals. Otherwise, his lack of production will not go away.

My take: though tempting, leave Dubinsky at wing.

Wraparounds 01-18-2011 07:00 AM

We're stretching here. Gaborik needs to get his butt in gear. What happened to all the rhetoric about him not needing a playmaking center? He can generate his own offense?

Hockey Team 01-18-2011 07:06 AM

Move the guy who's going to have 65 points on wing back to center?

No thanks

GWOW 01-18-2011 07:06 AM

Dubinsky is a hustler -- Gabby isn't. Oil and water.

Stepan, MZA and Goborik would be the perfect line. Bookend your super sniper with two playmakers.

I've been saying this for two seasons -- Anisimov is the farthest thing from a playmaker.

I never though Gaborik would be so high maintenance, but it's obvious he needs help. It's not that gaborik isnt shooting the puck that is bothering me. It's that he isnt putting forth the effort to get himself in a good position to shoot on a consistent basis. That stems from having zero chemistry with his center.

Torts is a lot to blame for this. Stick with the same ******* lines for at least 5 games, pretty please with sugar on top.

NYR Sting 01-18-2011 07:48 AM

Man, Brooksy is hit or miss.

Dubinsky has played the best hockey of his career on the wing. He's not a center. The sad truth is that NO ONE on this team is a suitable center for Gaborik, but that's what happens when you construct a team ass backwards. When you negate addressing the most crucial problem on the team year after year, you deal with the same problems year after year.

That's why this team has season after season of either mediocre or horrible offense. We haven't finished a season higher than 14th in the league in scoring since 2000-01.

jniklast 01-18-2011 08:01 AM

It's a sad thing when your team misses a waiver wire pickup like Christensen who is an upgrade over your 7 million dollar captain... And I can't say I disagree with that.

But not all is bad of course, our youth really has taken a step forward and guys like Wolski (I know he is streaky) and MZA (I think he has improved tremendously in his few games with the big club) could be parts of a much better future. This isn't the year to contend anyway but I really hope we make the playoffs just for guys like Stepan, Anisimov, MZA, Sauer and MDZ to get experience.

Trxjw 01-18-2011 08:10 AM

Gaborik doesn't need a center. That's really not the issue here. He scored 42 goals last season bouncing back and forth between Prospal and Christensen, and was highly successful in Minnesota despite not having a true center there either -- they tried him with just about everybody.

Gabby just needs to get his head in the game. He's floating out there every night, and I haven't seen much of his world famous speed this season either.

Rangers44* 01-18-2011 08:22 AM

I don't understand why Avery-Anisimov-Gaborik line was broken up when they were playing great together?

Vitto79 01-18-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2d (Post 30285267)
Move the guy who's going to have 65 points on wing back to center?

No thanks

yea dumb idea to move Dubi while he is having his best year. keep him at LW with Gaborik and just keep hoping one of the C's clicks eventually. Can't do much more than that. By god EC will be tried again when he comes back won't he or Prospal but who comes out then?

King of cool 01-18-2011 08:32 AM

I'm not convinced this is the right thing to do.

pete3589 01-18-2011 08:42 AM

Agree with most of what has been said here. Dubi is playing the most productive hockey of his career on the wing right now. So move him to center to help Gaborik? Makes no sense to me.

I still think he is nursing some injuries since it seems like his explosiveness just isn't there and perhaps the shoulder is still and issue cause his shot just isn't going in like it did last year.

As someone suggested, I don't know why we haven't seen Gaborik-Stepan-Zuccarello for an extended period of time.

Gaborik-Stepan-Zuccarello
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Wolski
Prust-Boyle-Feds
Avery-Drury-Weise

Looks real good to me, especially with our 3rd line production. The other concern is where does Wolski go when Cally comes back? I think we need him on the top 2 lines somewhere.

GWOW 01-18-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 30285625)
Gaborik doesn't need a center. That's really not the issue here. He scored 42 goals last season bouncing back and forth between Prospal and Christensen, and was highly successful in Minnesota despite not having a true center there either -- they tried him with just about everybody.

Gabby just needs to get his head in the game. He's floating out there every night, and I haven't seen much of his world famous speed this season either.

Getting him a playmaking center is just a contingency for when he doesnt have his head in the game. Guys like Oates and Savard did it all the time. Their vision and stickhandling would give tap ins for a guy like Colton Orr.

I think Gabby is like a basketball player who needs a slam dunk to get out of a shooting funk. maybe an empty netter or a ping-pong deflection will get him going.

PBC9400 01-18-2011 08:50 AM

How far is Christensen from coming back?

I would like to see this when we get healthy...

Wolski-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

****ing drury...:rant:

XLJ 01-18-2011 08:52 AM

I wouldn't be against trying it. Give it a game or two if Dubi struggles or Gaborik still doesn't get going you can just move Dubi back to wing. I don’t think if they move Dubinsky back to center for a game it will really mess him up and affect the rest of his season. They need to do something to get Gaborik going.

SixGoalieSystem 01-18-2011 09:07 AM

I'd rather move Dubinsky back with Zuccarello and Stepan. Amisinov centering Wolski and Gaborik should become a high scoring line given time. Gaborik needs to work himself back, and I don't really see playing Dubi as a center helping with that.

Gabs will start producing again. He still tops the Rags' season p/60 stat, and only needs to regain his confidence to start scoring goals again.

I'd rather see Torts sticking with the same lines for two games than change it up even more by playing Dubi as a center.

MisterUnspoken 01-18-2011 09:08 AM

Dubinsky is such a tweener its hard to know what to do with him. I could see Torts trying this for a game or two and attempting to instill some confidence in Gaborik, but then again Dubinsky hasn't been scoring goals either so...

There is really no indications, past or present that this is a sure fire home run maneuver.

NYROrtsFan 01-18-2011 09:56 AM

I hate Brooks... I truly think he's a touch away from being retarded.

Why would you jeopardize your best player by moving his position? Especially considering the coach has made it pretty clear that he's thought Dubinsky's best spot is LW.

asparkoflife 01-18-2011 10:18 AM

absolutely not.

OverTheCap 01-18-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 30285625)

Agreed. Gaborik is supposed to be an elite winger. His success shouldn't depend on players such as Prospal, Christensen, etc. It's quite the opposite, he should be the one making the players around him better. Although it would certainly help to have an legitimate #1 center to play with him, he's been able to produce without one in the past, so I'm not sure why this being pinpointed as the cause of his struggles.

It would be a monumental mistake to interfere with Dubinsky's development and put him back at center just because it may get Gaborik going. And I think Dubinsky's been one of our better playmakers, even though he's a winger. I'm not really sure what Brooks is thinking with this one.

Block More Shots 01-18-2011 10:49 AM

Avery-Dubi-Gabby
Wolski-Stepan-Zuc
Anisimov-Boyle-Prust
Feds-Drury-Weise/Newbury

Wolski/Steps/Zuc showed great chemistry at the end of the Philly game. Why not start them out next game? Give Avery another shot at the top line because in previous games he's shown the ability to step it up with Gabby.

Pizza 01-18-2011 10:52 AM

uh....no Larry. Sheeez!!

We're falling into a place where this guy is being talked about as if he were an artist with a fragile and delicate mind. He's a hockey player for petes sake.

This is pretty simple. Gaborick needs to follow the example of his team and leave it on all on the ice.....every single game.

To paraphrase a quote I heard Brooks use a few seasons ago: "The Rangers best players need to be the Rangers best players."

The reason Torts benched Gabbs the other night was because he's not shooting the puck or putting himself in a position to shoot. It's unacceptable that a guy with a mere 12 games of NHL experience, (Zuccarello) is having a bigger impact and developing more chemistry with his team mates.

This is Gaborick's problem. He needs to fix it. He is the lone Marquee forward on this team. He needs to create more quality chances for himself. It's time for him to just get out there and get after it. Every shift.

Fitzy 01-18-2011 10:53 AM

Dubinsky is having an absolute career year as his first on the wing. Sorry, but I doubt the Rangers risk spoiling that on a hunch.

EC isnt too far off. Neither is Ryan Callahan. I expect too see them both sometime soon after the all star break.