HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Paul Holmgren earns 3-year contract extension (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=866298)

OriginJM 01-18-2011 09:26 AM

Paul Holmgren earns 3-year contract extension

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that general manager Paul Holmgren has signed a three-year contract extension.

“I’m particularly proud of the job Paul Holmgren has done with our hockey club and excited to offer him this three-year extension,” said Comcast-Spectacor Chairman Ed Snider. “He continuously finds the right opportunities to improve our team and get us closer to our ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup.”

“Paul has done and continues to do a fabulous job in putting together a very competitive team on the ice for us,” said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. “We felt based on many of Paul’s recent successes, including last season’s run through the Final and the tenacity of our team this season, that this was the right time to offer him a contract extension. This sends a message to our fans, players and coaches that we are committed to winning and our organization will be stable for years to come."

Per Delco Times:
Quote:

The Daily Times has learned through an organizational source that the Flyers are going to announce a three-year extension for their general manager Thursday, worth approximately $4.5 million.

That's what an Eastern Conference championship, another Conference finals appearance and the best record in the East through the first half of this season has gotten Holmgren.

The Flyers' brass would not comment on the possible extension and Holmgren himself could not be reached Monday night.
Read the Delco Times Article: Awww snap.

More about it on BSH: Check it yo.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 09:30 AM

Fair enough, I am glad he ditched Leighton and signed Carter and Giroux to good deals. Hopefully he doesn't **** up this offseason with Leino, Powe, Nodl.

KimiFerrari 01-18-2011 09:41 AM

I think he has earned it. This is one of the best Flyer's team I've seen in my lifetime.

I don't know if he is the luckiest ******* in the world, but with Mez looking good, Gagne doing horrible, Leino/Briere/Hartnell lighting it up and finding a sensational rookie goalie Bobo. He some time looks like a fortune teller.

I won't go into his cap management though. And I am sure this thread is quickly going to degrade into a bashing contest on Homer.

Mgkibbles 01-18-2011 09:47 AM

Good news. Homer gets ridden like a cheap hooker around here, but hes a very good GM.

Opus 01-18-2011 09:49 AM

Sure he's made some errors, which GM hasn't? Fact of the matter he continues to put together a very good team that has every chance as others to compete for the ultimate prize -- the Stanley Cup.

Good for Paul.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 30286451)
Sure he's made some errors, which GM hasn't? Fact of the matter he continues to put together a very good team that has every chance as others to compete for the ultimate prize -- the Stanley Cup.

Good for Paul.

You know what's crazy though? The reason we don't have a 2nd this year is from the Carcillo trade almost 2 full years ago... and he can barely crack the lineup

Mr Oysterhead 01-18-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 30286423)
Good news. Homer gets ridden like a cheap hooker around here, but hes a very good GM.

:laugh:

This cracked me up. Spot on.

BringBackStevens 01-18-2011 09:58 AM

I'm OK with it. I think Holmgren is showing he has learned from some of his mistakes (hopefully)

CharlieGirl 01-18-2011 09:59 AM

Well, what can you do?

Seriously though, it's a good move for the Flyers. Now if someone could help him with the math problems he has and the tough guy/can't play/gotta have him vision he has, he'd be stellar.

Opus 01-18-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 30286531)
You know what's crazy though? The reason we don't have a 2nd this year is from the Carcillo trade almost 2 full years ago... and he can barely crack the lineup

...what can you do?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1279821822

ForsbergIsOdin 01-18-2011 10:09 AM

What can ya do?

IrishSniper87 01-18-2011 10:14 AM

Sometimes, that's the way she goes.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 10:16 AM

It is what it is

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 10:22 AM

The interesting thing is that with this next contract he'll really need to earn his keep....it will really show what he's made of. He's got maybe one more year after this year and then the real hard decisions come.....although this summer should be interesting as well. He's got to get better at cap management...I wasn't impressed with this season's offseason moves.Too much money tied up in players with zero or minimal added value. Jeesh I could only imagine how really deep this team would be if they added a couple of players that were more than marginal unlike Leighton, Shelley, Walker and Zherdev. Maybe the latter two will be more of an impact as the season progresses but remains to be seen.

DenverBoone 01-18-2011 10:25 AM

I thank Homer for rescuing Carle from Tampa Bay! Good job outta you, Homer!

Sincerely,

The only non-Carle hater on this board.

facts 01-18-2011 10:26 AM

He deserves it, biggest move is bringing in Lavi. OT I get Centre Ice so I had to watch the game against ny on msg. Did anyboby else listen to Keenan talk between peiords, he was trying to analyze the period highlights, he was making up words and using others out of context. As they were showing the highlights, Leino and Zherdev were in the conversation, and it got me thinking as to how this team would be if Keenan was the GM, he would rid the team of any euros like the past and we would still be under the bully philosophy. I think the one thing that Holmer has done is attempt to get the best players to make the best team. Euros like Kimmo and Ville, Mez, smaller guys like Briere and wildcards like the Zherdev have been a positive evolution for this team and a new identity that has been great to witness. He has implemented cap strategies that have, if you think about it, revolutionized the free agent signing, ie Kimmo and Hartnell, I think he has done a good job.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverBoone (Post 30286982)
I thank Homer for rescuing Carle from Tampa Bay! Good job outta you, Homer!

Sincerely,

The only non-Carle hater on this board.

Do you mean the only non-Flyer fan on the board?

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by facts (Post 30287003)
He deserves it, biggest move is bringing in Lavi.

He does deserve credit for recognizing that Stevens wasn't going to cut it and getting rid of him midseason..just wish he had done so at the beginning of the year and didn't give him a contract. A lot of people were saying Stevens needed to get canned but loyalty made Holmer hang on too long IMO.

DenverBoone 01-18-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 30287021)
Do you mean the only non-Flyer fan on the board?

That is the second time you've made that insinuation, Hover. Why you hating on me like that? I don't live in Philly. I live in a market that doesn't give a **** about hockey unless Sakic, Roy, Forsberg and Bourque are on the team. Go to the Avs board and try to have a discussion, nobody is there. Go to a game, nobody is there. The Pepsi Center ranks close to last in attendance, and they have a playoff caliber team with great prospects!

I've seen every Flyers game this year on CI. So if rooting for a team that has a player I like who helped my alma mater win two national titles in a row doesn't give me enough "cred" with you, so be it.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverBoone (Post 30287149)
That is the second time you've made that insinuation, Hover. Why you hating on me like that? I don't live in Philly. I live in a market that doesn't give a **** about hockey unless Sakic, Roy, Forsberg and Bourque are on the team. Go to the Avs board and try to have a discussion, nobody is there. Go to a game, nobody is there. The Pepsi Center ranks close to last in attendance, and they have a playoff caliber team with great prospects!

I've seen every Flyers game this year on CI. So if rooting for a team that has a player I like who helped my alma mater win two national titles in a row doesn't give me enough "cred" with you, so be it.

I was just pointing out that if you were a Carle hater, you wouldn't be on this board, as he is what brought you here. So your statement was paradoxical

phillyfanatic 01-18-2011 10:45 AM

Love it. Homer has done an amazing job. I remember so clearly how bleak it looked when he took over. But then a Forsberg trade, a Coburn steal, a trade for rights to UFA Hartnell and Timonen and Briere signing later and we were back in business (amongst others). I will always be greatful of that.

JLHockeyKnight 01-18-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 30286423)

Pretty much. He built the team into an Eastern Conference leading team and Cup contender, and people will still rip him for his faults.

IrishSniper87 01-18-2011 10:48 AM

Snider must have seen this and decided Holmgrem was somehow a genius.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...sgORBcALw4k%3D

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...fjB3HoCDxPI%3D

GKJ 01-18-2011 10:49 AM

Good for him considering he was a lost shootout away from being fired.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 30287388)
Snider must have seen this and decided Holmgrem was somehow a genius.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...sgORBcALw4k%3D

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...fjB3HoCDxPI%3D

hahah Notice the age of all of those men. Old NHL fans