HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Lawson and Joenssuu returned to the Bridge (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=866300)

Brunomics 01-18-2011 10:36 AM

Lawson and Joenssuu returned to the Bridge

Yea so both were sent down via Islander and Strang twitter feeds. I wanted Poulin to go back down and start but Lawson has shown he really isn't capable of playing in the NHL might've forced their hand on that. Joenssuu looked out of place up here too. He needs to learn to be a more effective big man but I feel he's done here.

Chapin Landvogt 01-18-2011 10:45 AM

Well, this should mean that Nielsen can play Thursday.

Thank goodness!

mygameworn 01-18-2011 11:24 AM

Son of a *****. Garth, Poulin is NOT a back up.

Brunomics 01-18-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan (Post 30286942)

remember the other goalie is DP, so it's probably going to be a 50/50 split cause he can't handle the load.

macleod50 01-18-2011 11:28 AM

I'd much rather have seen Poulin getting the bulk of playing time in Bridgeport. Hopefully him and DiPietro will split starts. Poulin has to get playing time, at either level.

Bunk Moreland 01-18-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Agreed. This is going to ruin a half a season he could be playing everyday down in bport. Although Lawson seems incapable of playing in the nhl Poulin should be back down. If only we had a solid veteran goalie to split time DP too bad... :shakehead

BillD 01-18-2011 11:35 AM

Cheap ass Charlie needs to let Garth sign a damn back-up goalie that is free right now (I think he knows what a back-up goalie is having been one his entire NHL career). Poulin needs to go back to B'Port and develop his already very fine abilities. Lawson can not handle NHL duty, and DP has 9 toes over the ledge every time he plays a game.
I have no problem with using Roli as a chip to get an asset and even for unloading the rest of his salary in a lost season. But then we can not leave the cupboard bare to depend on Rickity and Lawson to get us through the remaining 40 games. Leighton would have been fine but probably too much money and next year's contract would have eaten into Charlie's savings from Roli deal.
This is bush league.

OlTimeHockey 01-18-2011 11:52 AM

I was wondering how we could ruin another prospect we so need to reach his potential once Nino was sent to juniors (like Bailey was). Now I know....trade the NHL talent and ruin Poulin's confidence. Go Garth! Go Wang! Save dem bucks until you have no fanbase left!

IslesFanatic 01-18-2011 11:53 AM

Both are terrible anyway.

mygameworn 01-18-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunomics (Post 30287047)
remember the other goalie is DP, so it's probably going to be a 50/50 split cause he can't handle the load.

When the golden child says he wants to play, he'll play. Poulin will waste his time...

Sneekypete 01-18-2011 11:54 AM

Keeping Poulin as a NHL back up is a stupid ^&&)&**_( mistake. Let the kid get some meaningful playoff push games in the AHL instead of some meaningless lotttery games in the NHL.

OlTimeHockey 01-18-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneekypete (Post 30287491)
Keeping Poulin as a NHL back up is a stupid ^&&)&**_( mistake. Let the kid get some meaningful playoff push games in the AHL instead of some meaningless lotttery games in the NHL.

Hey, we handled Bailey fine....look, he's a household name now. We'll handle this young pup just swell as well. No worries.

periferal 01-18-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah...And DP isn't a starter, so problem solved.

periferal 01-18-2011 12:06 PM

Let's not overlook the fact that Joensuu is being sent back down. Can we finally call him what he is...And overhyped prospect who, despite good size, isn't an NHL'er?

Homeland Security 01-18-2011 12:09 PM

Joensuu really aggravates me! He's got good size but appears afraid to use it. He's been with the big club a number of times but really hasn't shown me much.

What aggravates me is I thought he could have been a decent bottom 6 guy, but now I don't know if I even want him on the bottom 3.

Sidney the Kidney 01-18-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 30287458)
I was wondering how we could ruin another prospect we so need to reach his potential once Nino was sent to juniors (like Bailey was). Now I know....trade the NHL talent and ruin Poulin's confidence. Go Garth! Go Wang! Save dem bucks until you have no fanbase left!

The ironic part of sending Lawson down and keeping Poulin up as backup to DP is they're actually spending more money this way. Poulin's salary is $587,500, while Lawson's is $500,000.

Wang might not be too happy with Garth if he finds out this move is costing him $87,500 more than is necessary. :sarcasm:

kasper11 01-18-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 30287548)
Hey, we handled Bailey fine....look, he's a household name now. We'll handle this young pup just swell as well. No worries.

To be honest, I don't blame them all that much for Bailey....I think the whole notion of developing in the juniors/minors can be overrated. Yes, some players that are "rushed" bust, but so do a whole bunch of players that aren't. Until I see the stats that more players drafted top-10 bust if the are brought up right away, I think it has more to do with the player and less to do with when they are called up.

BUT.....that is for a skater....one of 18 on the ice. A skater brought up early is still playing every day. The difference between 12 minutes and 20 minutes a game is offset by the coaching and training difference.

For a goalie though? If Poulin is going to sit on the bench for 2/3 of the games, then Snow is friggin retarded. And I have been a defender for the most part. The easiest way to ruin a prospect is to not let them play every night.

I think that just about anyone with a brain could figure out that the best thing to do right now is send Koskinen to the ECHL to play every night, and let Poulin play at the AHL level every night. Poulin has played 19 games so far and we are more than half way through the season. This is not developing a prospect.

Chapin Landvogt 01-18-2011 12:13 PM

A few things

- I don't know why some here assume Wang is preventing Snow from signing another back-up. For all we know, Snow WANTS things as they are. There are four goalies and a decent AHL plug-in (Joel Martin) in the system now. Bodies at this position aren't required and no less than Poulin and Koskinen need to be getting ice time. It's very possible that Snow feels their playing time is more relevant than getting a more NHL-capable body in here. We'll see another man brought in if Dipietro truly has to go on the IR for the remainder of the season (almost to be expected).

- In a season with little to win for the big club, Poulin could still gain boatloads of meaningful experience in a playoff race in BPort. As of now, he's technically THEIR best shot at the playoffs, seeing as how he was showing the ability to decide games on his own on the farm.

- No matter how good Poulin could one day be, allowing a goal within the first 5 minutes in all four of his starts is NOT NHL-worthy at this point.

- Unfortunately, Lawson has looked to be incapable of effective NHL play. This is probably a wee bit disappointing for management, because I'm sure they were hoping that he could be the type of back-up who goes, say, 6-9 in a handful of starts. With his performance to date, it's hard to imagine that he could win any more than one or two of fifteen starts.

- Unfortunately (II), Koskinen has been so lousy in Bridgeport lately (5 game losing streak, having allowed 5 goals in three of those starts), that one of Poulin or Lawson simply MUST play - and play well - in order for the Tigers to be able to get back on track a bit.

- With Sim out of the picture, Hilbert not having played at all, Rak out indefinitely with the concussion and Colliton and Martin up in the bigs, the onus is now on Joensuu to find a way to be an offensive catalyst. One simply can't expect that team to win anything with a first line of Hisey-Ullstrom-Svendsen. Heck, that's even a below average 3rd line in the AHL.

- We've now seen Joensuu for a longer stretch. If I had to make a decision now, I do not see an NHL career in his immediate future. Both his skating and his decision making are too slow for this league. Even when he tries, he's not able to use that big body of his to either dish out punishing checks or even box out opponents when doing the corner work. That all may change one day, but if he arrives, I don't see it happening until he's like 27 or so (like Moulson and Paps). In addition, he shows no nose for the net, which might have helped him make the transition.

I think we'll see him let go this summer.

LAIslanderFan 01-18-2011 12:40 PM

This board is becoming monopolized by a bunch of whiners. What Garth did was the right thing in regards to sending down Lawson and keeping Poulin with the Islanders. The fact is that DP will probably play 60% of the remaining games at best. That means we'll relay on the backup quite a bit. Poulin gives us the best chance to win when he's in net. Now, if we send him down, he still won't play that much more at the Bridge. Koskinen and he will share duties, so it's not like he'll get that many more games in net. And don't forget, DP is no gaurantee. Poulin might actually end up playing more games with the Isles then with the Soundtigers. The bottom line is that the priority has to be the Islanders and Poulin is better suited for them then Lawson is. Lawson quite frankly is not NHL worthy!!!

mrislander82 01-18-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAL8116 (Post 30287768)
Joensuu really aggravates me! He's got good size but appears afraid to use it. He's been with the big club a number of times but really hasn't shown me much.

What aggravates me is I thought he could have been a decent bottom 6 guy, but now I don't know if I even want him on the bottom 3.

You saying that reminds me instantly of Kvasha, (I guess Kvasha had better hands though)

I guess you can say Joensuu is a poor mans brad isbister...

4Isles4* 01-18-2011 12:44 PM

nOT GOOD FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF pOULIN....im dissapointed.....he could of been the best Goalie in all of the AHL and that would of been great for the kid to build off of in the future.....you could see his talent and potential are both there....but he still needs time.....

4Isles4* 01-18-2011 12:44 PM

Also I would rather they sent Colliton back instead of JJ

petrocelli 01-18-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by periferal (Post 30287707)
Let's not overlook the fact that Joensuu is being sent back down. Can we finally call him what he is...And overhyped prospect who, despite good size, isn't an NHL'er?

overhyped?? Who was hyping him??

Anyone that has been paying attention has known for the past 2-3 years that he was a fringe NHL'r or a career AHL guy..... my guess, is he will realize he doesn't have a solid NHL future and doesn't want to be an AHL player, so he will go back to Finland and play back home.

redbull 01-18-2011 01:03 PM

I think Joensuu hasn't shown enough to warrant an NHL job at this point. He's better off in BP and if he plays well down the stretch, maybe he gets another contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he headed back to Europe next year though. I don't think he's NHL material although he still has time to prove me wrong.

Colliton - Joensuu - neither are NHL players IMO. Colliton plays a simpler game, more noticeable out there IMO but neither should be in the NHL. I'm more comfortable with Coliton on the 4th line than either JJ or Sim - suits the role more.

On Poulin. I also prefer he play in the AHL full-time but in the NHL, he'd probably get 40-50% of the remaining games which isn't much more than he'd get in the AHL! I think Snow's hand was kinda forced since Lawson has shown he cannot play in the NHL.

I suppose they'll need a back-up for this year (if not next year) if Lawson doesn't cut it because I doubt Poulin/Koskinen/Nilsson are the answer either. There are a lot of potential back-ups out there so I'm not concerned. I just hope DP can play because he's the best goalie in the organization (now that Roloson's gone) and he's got an incredible record for this team, for whatever reason (even though the GAA SV% defy logic compared to the win-loss!)

petrocelli 01-18-2011 01:08 PM

I really don't get how everyone has determined Lawson not NHL worthy and Poulin ready for the NHL after 3 or 4 games each... Lawson played great in the game he was thrown into because Dipietro was hurt.. He had one or two shaky starts after that and was given a very quick hook... Not exactly given much of chance...

Meanwhile, Poulin had his doors blown off by the Devils yesterday.. Has given up two goals in the first 5 minutes of 3 of his 4 games played, and yet everyone is screaming how he is so much more ready than Lawson.... I dont get it!

Of course Poulin has much more long term potential.. But saying Lawson can't respectively serve as a backup for the last 35 games of the year and that Poulin can from a sample size of 3 games each is ridiculous.