HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Family matters for Flyers' Briere, Giroux (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=866304)

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 10:45 AM

Family matters for Flyers' Briere, Giroux

They sound like Ernie and Bert ..:laugh:

Good to see we have players that like each other even if they shop for furniture together...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lRwTxx0Ydx...-and-ernie.jpg

Quote:

IT SOUNDS like a sitcom.

It would make a helluva reality show.

"Three boys, two dogs and two hockey players," I said to Danny Briere after Flyers practice yesterday. "Whaddaya think?"

"Five hockey players," Briere corrected. "The kids play, too. There's not a day of the week when there's no hockey. Every single day of the week, there's at least one practice."

That's in addition to getting his three young sons to and from school, feeding and walking Zoey the bulldog and Zora the Boston terrier, and keeping Briere's large South Jersey house, which he held on to after splitting with his wife last year, tidy.

So why would Claude Giroux, 23-year-old bachelor and budding star, want in on that?

"I was living by myself," he said. "Sometimes it's lonely and you don't have much to do.

"That's not a problem now."

No, sirree. Briere's three boys, ages 9 through 12, spend a good chunk of time at the house when the team is home, and tonight's game against the Washington Capitals begins a 10-game stretch in which eight will be played at the Wells Fargo Center.

That's more than 2 weeks' worth of great reality television. Established star, emerging star, Caelan, Carson and Cameron, Zoey and Zora.

If only they would all agree to do it.

In our last episode, for example, Claude decided the guest room adjacent to his needed some upgrades, including a new mattress. Danny needed some things for the boys' rooms as well, so off they went, together, to Raymour & Flanigan.

"They see us come in together, shopping for furniture together," Briere said. "And they're, like, two Flyers shopping together? For furniture? And they started laughing. They said, 'You guys are just like a couple.' "

There are significant differences, of course. Briere is 33, in his 13th season as an NHL player, one of his best so far. He has scored 24 goals and is tied with Mike Richards for the club lead with 40 points.

One point behind is the playmaking Giroux, who in 2 short years has gone from a guy often mistaken for a stick boy to one of the more popular Flyers - in every sense of the word.

"We have rules," Briere said with a smirk. "Especially when the boys have school the next day."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1BOziwmXA

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 10:48 AM

I wonder if Briere has his kids all the time. I had assumed that his ex wife would take them most of the time during the hockey season when Danny is busy and he would be with them more during the off season

edit:
Quote:

Outside, he's pretty helpful, too. Briere's wife is still in the area, still involved in raising the kids. But there have been holes in the coverage, times when the kids needed a lift from school.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1BP1n62KK
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Makes sense that she is still around to help

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 11:07 AM

Opus 01-18-2011 11:08 AM

Leave Briere's ex-wife out of the dialogue, please and thank you.

Murphy7 01-18-2011 12:09 PM

Glad there's more on this. The thing on 6 was cool, but was so short. Donnellon isn't the beat writer, so it's tough to bash him for taking a story from TV, but why can't the beat writers pull off a feature like this?

Cmoneyflyguy 01-18-2011 12:12 PM

flyguy 01-18-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy (Post 30287848)

This crossed my mind, but mostly because of how the article was written.

But I can't fault Giroux for not wanting to live in the city and around the party group of the Flyers. It seems he is taking is career and life more seriously than some of the others.

chaosof99* 01-18-2011 01:19 PM

1 and 4 half-men? :sarcasm:

Gert B Frobe 01-18-2011 01:32 PM

Hockey players are weird. Their living situation certainly isn't as weird as when Crosby was living in Lemieux's crawl space under the basement stairs.

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe (Post 30289388)
Hockey players are weird. Their living situation certainly isn't as weird as when Crosby was living in Lemieux's crawl space under the basement stairs.

I do find it odd....doesn't Ovechkin still live with his parents? How do these guys get laid? Doesn't it cramp their style? Hotels I suppose? I guess it beats riding around the neighborhood a few times and taking weird roads so the random hook ups don't know exactly where you live...:laugh:

I'm not sure but I like living on my own with the occassional being in a relationship and being a bachelor again cycle.

flyguy 01-18-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe (Post 30289388)

Wait, hold on a minute. He lived in the crawl space?? Lemieux didn't have a big enough house to offer him a guest room? Sounds like Harry Potter.

I also thought of the Crosby thing too when I heard about it, but that was when he first came into the league. He lived with Mario as a mentor-esque experience. He doesn't live with him anymore.

AaronTrieu 01-18-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 30289693)
I do find it odd....doesn't Ovechkin still live with his parents? How do these guys get laid? Doesn't it cramp their style? Hotels I suppose? I guess it beats riding around the neighborhood a few times and taking weird roads so the random hook ups don't know exactly where you live...:laugh:

I'm not sure but I like living on my own with the occassional being in a relationship and being a bachelor again cycle.

no, ovies parents just stay with him when they are in the states. and while they are there they help take care of this for him.

flountown 01-18-2011 02:52 PM

You realize that all the guys we are talking about are only 23-25 years old. I am currently living at home at the age of 24, it sucks, but I am sure it wouldn't suck if I could put my parents up in an adjacent condo and have them take care of stuff for me and allow them to never have to work again. I am sure if they are mackin' it in the city they just post up at one of the guest rooms in Olde City or a hotel. You act like they don't all have a handful of other friends where they hang out who have copious beds for sharing time with plenty of women. Just saying, living at home with parents/with another older player in a larger house isn't really cramping anyone's dating efforts.

Sawdalite 01-18-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 30289693)

With Briere's three boys in the picture, another person should make little difference... Besides, my guess is his Haddonfield Estate is roomy enough to allow for much privacy... Maybe the servants quarters could be used; send them out for dinner and a movie. :naughty: :laugh:

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 30290890)
You realize that all the guys we are talking about are only 23-25 years old. I am currently living at home at the age of 24, it sucks, but I am sure it wouldn't suck if I could put my parents up in an adjacent condo and have them take care of stuff for me and allow them to never have to work again. I am sure if they are mackin' it in the city they just post up at one of the guest rooms in Olde City or a hotel. You act like they don't all have a handful of other friends where they hang out who have copious beds for sharing time with plenty of women. Just saying, living at home with parents/with another older player in a larger house isn't really cramping anyone's dating efforts.

So you are comparing yourself with millionaires? Living with parents and siblings should cramp one's sex life unless you're Will Farell and yell at your mom to get you meatloaf...

Sawdalite 01-18-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 30290890)

If you bide your time... you can have a ball after they go to a nursing home. :sarcasm:

flountown 01-18-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 30290995)
So you are comparing yourself with millionaires? Living with parents and siblings should cramp one's sex life unless you're Will Farell and yell at your mom to get you meatloaf...

I am saying if I was a millionaire, and I had friends who were millionaires and I partied with them, I'd crash at one of their guest rooms, and then go back to the quiet life for the days when I want it. Hell I could have a second house simply for spending the night with ladies at one of those Condo's that are almost like hotels with cleaning services and such, then come home to a nice home cooked meal on nights when I need to take a break from tricks and hoes.

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 30291136)
I am saying if I was a millionaire, and I had friends who were millionaires and I partied with them, I'd crash at one of their guest rooms, and then go back to the quiet life for the days when I want it. Hell I could have a second house simply for spending the night with ladies at one of those Condo's that are almost like hotels with cleaning services and such, then come home to a nice home cooked meal on nights when I need to take a break from tricks and hoes.

I see your point....I guess I'm somewhat removed from that mindset now that I'm in my mid 30's although by my mid 20's I had a career, my own place and was tired of rooming. Plus I liked being independent and didn't like my parents doing stuff for me although it's a nice luxury. I know these days it's a totally different economy....I actually feel bad for 20 somethings now..tons of debt and lousy job prospects. It's also not fair when people call them bums etc who mooch off their parents although that element exists.

flountown 01-18-2011 03:32 PM

I mean, don't get me wrong, I dislike living at home, but if I had the means to dictate where myself and my parents lived, then I'd be a bit more OK with it, and the millions of dollars helps too.

BlackDog13 01-18-2011 03:59 PM

Hockey players are used to the extended family dynamic, they generally room with families other than their own while in junior.

As for those in a rush to move out, I lived in my Father's house until the day I got married (at which time I was 3 months shy of my 31st birthday) Had I not married my wife (just passed our 19th anniversary) I probably would have stayed home indefinitely.

FreshPerspective 01-18-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog13 (Post 30292124)
Hockey players are used to the extended family dynamic, they generally room with families other than their own while in junior.

As for those in a rush to move out, I lived in my Father's house until the day I got married (at which time I was 3 months shy of my 31st birthday) Had I not married my wife (just passed our 19th anniversary) I probably would have stayed home indefinitely.

Definitely depends on the family dynamic...I personally had to get the eff out...my father is one big pain but always been the independent type regardless. I still think though that going out on your own if you have the means to do so is a character builder but if you are a millionaire youngster playing in the NHL I guess it's kind of a moot point of sorts....you build your character from a team concept..nothing wrong with that.

HoverCarle* 01-18-2011 05:21 PM

I don't mind living at home, but I can't wait to not live at home (moving out may 1st ).

Roo and Briere make sense to be friends as they are both french. Giroux doesn't seem like much of a playa to me so I'm sure it doesn't matter

BlackDog13 01-18-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 30292215)
Definitely depends on the family dynamic...I personally had to get the eff out...my father is one big pain but always been the independent type regardless. I still think though that going out on your own if you have the means to do so is a character builder but if you are a millionaire youngster playing in the NHL I guess it's kind of a moot point of sorts....you build your character from a team concept..nothing wrong with that.

I was very fortunate to have a great relationship with my father, had I not I'm sure the impetus to move out would have been stronger. One point I left out here is that my mother died young and while I had as strong a relationship with her as I did my dad, I would have definitely felt like the 5th wheel and gotten out on my own.

Spongolium* 01-18-2011 07:47 PM

Giroux isn't a party guy, and misses his family life back home. It's not like the kid is a 35 year old fully grown man. More players should actually do this, especially younger players.

MsWoof 01-18-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 30290019)
Wait, hold on a minute. He lived in the crawl space?? Lemieux didn't have a big enough house to offer him a guest room? Sounds like Harry Potter.

I also thought of the Crosby thing too when I heard about it, but that was when he first came into the league. He lived with Mario as a mentor-esque experience. He doesn't live with him anymore.

Oh he certainly does still live with him. In fact, it was big news this summer that he bought a house (near Mario, can't cut the apron strings) and still hadn't moved out and wasn't in a rush to.