HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Value of Doughty (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=866739)

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 11:02 AM

Value of Doughty

Doughty is a generational player. To me one player does not make or break a defense. The value he could give in a trade would be huge. We have a very formidable Defense with out him. He would bring a top 5 forward in the league possible more. Would you trade him.

Johnson
Mitchell
Green
Scuds
Martinez
Voynov
Hickey
Forsbert
Tuebert
Campbell

flame away

Dave33 01-19-2011 11:12 AM

Trading him would be the dumbest thing I've ever seen this org do.

kingpest19 01-19-2011 11:17 AM

Look at the difference Pronger made in EDM, Anaheim and Philly. In the last 5 years Prongers been in the Finals 3 different times. Id say he makes or breaks a defense. You dont trade guys like Doughty unless you absolutely have to.

Kings man 4 life 01-19-2011 11:23 AM

Doughty is the difference between a good defense and a great one. Makes the goalies job that much easier and makes the offense that much better. Only player I would see Doughty being moved for is Crosby, other than that GTFO.

xavi4life 01-19-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave33 (Post 30312947)

Basically. Trading Brayden Schenn would be the 2nd dumbest thing.

no name 01-19-2011 11:44 AM

This is nuts.

etherialone 01-19-2011 11:58 AM

I agree with the notion that Drew's value is so high that dealing him would return us a ton of value but I still wouldn't do it.

You can use a few different comparisons and get similar results but you don't need to look too far. 99 was dealt to us after winning a heavy hand full of cup rings for one of the best up and coming centers in the game and a ton of other pieces that should have set the Oilers up for another decade but it was one and done.

Then we dealt 99 for the Vopat et al and we all know how that worked out.

As an org we have pretty much always (with a few exceptions) dealt away our most talented players with the same notion that one exceptional proven player will help us fill several holes. Thank god we have learned from that mistake.

Doughty for Crosby? Sure I would but after that the list gets pretty thin.

damacles1156 01-19-2011 12:03 PM

I feel like I am in the Twilight zone. Dave Taylor is that you?

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave33 (Post 30312947)

But if it could get ya a Stamkos, Crosby or Ovie, Malkin + you cant balk at the value. I just think we are really loaded on D. I happen to like JJ just as much or if not more than Doughty. Both would be nice but to me not necessary for a great D which we surely will have.

damacles1156 01-19-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers (Post 30313951)
But if it could get ya a Stamkos, Crosby or Ovie, Malkin + you cant balk at the value. I just think we are really loaded on D. I happen to like JJ just as much or if not more than Doughty. Both would be nice but to me not necessary for a great D which we surely will have.

Drew would not bring any of those people you just named.

etherialone 01-19-2011 12:20 PM

I also am a fan of JJ and have taken heat for saying that I see potential for him becoming a hall of fame type of defenceman since he made the team and while he is an exceptionally talented young dman I would deal him a dozen times before I would consider moving Doughty. He is that special and that much better. Consider this, Crosby was Crosby the day he first took to the NHL but Doughty is a defenceman who won't come close to reaching his true potential until he is 28 to 30 years old.

He hasn't even scratched the surface of his abilities yet.

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 30314105)
I also am a fan of JJ and have taken heat for saying that I see potential for him becoming a hall of fame type of defenceman since he made the team and while he is an exceptionally talented young dman I would deal him a dozen times before I would consider moving Doughty. He is that special and that much better. Consider this, Crosby was Crosby the day he first took to the NHL but Doughty is a defenceman who won't come close to reaching his true potential until he is 28 to 30 years old.

He hasn't even scratched the surface of his abilities yet.

Good point, I just hope he wants to reach his potential here in LA. Just some red flags this year with him, kinda question character ya know.

etherialone 01-19-2011 12:28 PM

Yep but remember, he is a kid and if you were in Canada you would see how highly regarded he is. He knows he is going to be a wealthy man and is seen as a sports celeb in a big way. Its gotta mess with your head a little. He'll turn it back around, he is a character guy.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 01-19-2011 12:33 PM

Lol, Is This Thread Serious?

EDIT: Saint . . you know that from now on, you will be known as the poster who wanted to trade Doughty . . .

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 12:36 PM

@ cutty shark
Yup, just trying to get a feel for some thoughts is all. Why don't you tell me why Doughty is untradeable.

jeffl97 01-19-2011 12:40 PM

Traded Visnovsky and Sbisa for him in NHL11 :yo:

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 01-19-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers (Post 30314412)
@ cutty shark
Yup, just trying to get a feel for some thoughts is all. Why don't you tell me why Doughty is untradeable.

Because it's not everyday that a defenceman makes the team at 18, get's top minutes & responsibility after the first few weeks of his NHL career, gets invited to play for the IIHF World Championship and wins silver . then, smashes the competition in his sophomore season, electrifying Kings' fans and has people saying his name with Bobby Orr, helps the team make the playoffs for the first time in 7 season . . and finds time to squeeze a Gold Medal all without being old enough to DRINK. . . And you want to trade him because he's having a bad year on a team that lacks identity, leadership & a legitimate coaching staff?

SLang 01-19-2011 12:48 PM

Not like it means anything to anyone but me, but trade Doughty and I'm out.

hauspaint 01-19-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers (Post 30312785)
flame away

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2325/...00f2c826_o.gif

Ziggy Stardust 01-19-2011 01:25 PM

Good lord almighty. The day the Kings trade Doughty is the day this organization will have made the biggest mistake in its 44 years of existence. Who trades a 21 year old franchise defenseman? Unless the return is Sidney Crosby, it is not even something worth entertaining. I understand being upset and all up in arms over the losing streak, but this is outright irrational and illogical. Why get rid of the best players on the team? How about this novel thought. Acquire some damn talent to help support the other handful of talented players on the team.

Pucknut50 01-19-2011 01:38 PM

I am responding only because people here are actually trying to explain why we should not trade Doughty. No need because 99.999999% here would not do it. Even the original poster would vote against it if someone else brought it up. The only way Doughty leaves this organization is by Free agency.

Pucknut50 01-19-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 30315401)
Good lord almighty. The day the Kings trade Doughty is the day this organization will have made the biggest mistake in its 44 years of existence. Who trades a 21 year old franchise defenseman? Unless the return is Sidney Crosby, it is not even something worth entertaining. I understand being upset and all up in arms over the losing streak, but this is outright irrational and illogical. Why get rid of the best players on the team? How about this novel thought. Acquire some damn talent to help support the other handful of talented players on the team.

Kings do! HOF Larry Murphy at 22 for Brian Fn' Engblom:shakehead

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss (Post 30314516)
Because it's not everyday that a defenceman makes the team at 18, get's top minutes & responsibility after the first few weeks of his NHL career, gets invited to play for the IIHF World Championship and wins silver . then, smashes the competition in his sophomore season, electrifying Kings' fans and has people saying his name with Bobby Orr, helps the team make the playoffs for the first time in 7 season . . and finds time to squeeze a Gold Medal all without being old enough to DRINK. . . And you want to trade him because he's having a bad year on a team that lacks identity, leadership & a legitimate coaching staff?

Now your putting words in my mouth. Yes, he has done all that I'm just afraid it has gone to his head because he is so young and I hope he can recover from that mentality so he doesn't spoil the cream. I like Doughty and am glad he is on the team. Just trying to get people's impression. Excuse me for thinking outside the box people.

saintsnsoldiers 01-19-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 30315401)

:laugh: I take that as a no. hahaha

123slam 01-19-2011 04:07 PM

jesus