HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Foster traded for Havelid (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=86704)

Holly Gunning 06-26-2004 10:07 AM

Foster traded for Havelid

DW just told us that he traded Kurtis Foster to Anaheim for Niclas Havelid.

dunwoody_joe 06-26-2004 10:08 AM

Here's the link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=89051

I'm not sure I like it!

Holly Gunning 06-26-2004 10:10 AM

Wow, TSN is quick. I'm impressed.

McDonald19 06-26-2004 10:37 AM

Havelid has 2 more years on a 3 yr 4.55 million dollar contract.

I think I saw that Foster is a RFA, but what was his NHL salary?

Havelid should be a decent second pairing defensmen for you guys. He can move the puck up to the forwards pretty well when he is on his game. Has a pretty good point shot. Can contribute to a power play. Good vision and passing.

Had a bad year last year after a career year during the stanley cup finals run.

problems with his game are his lack of confidence last season made him give the puck away in our zone a lot. Also is not a physical defensmen, he can often get overmatched against powerforwards.

Unless things go really well for him the next 2 years he likely will finish out his career in Sweden when he becomes a UFA July 2006(he will be 33 by then).

dunwoody_joe 06-26-2004 10:37 AM

Conspiracy Theory:

Why does this deal get done right now, just minutes before the draft. Don't the GMs have better things to trade right now? It could easily have waited until tomorrow or later. I think it is tied to the first round.

My idea is that there is something more in this deal--maybe a draft pick swap or an agreement to not pick somebody. Anaheim drafts at #9, Atlanta at #10. I wonder what's coming down.

Maybe Foster helps Ana go with a forward instead of a defenseman, which then allows DW to select Thelan? And whatever do we need with Havelid?

Jerky Leclerc 06-26-2004 10:40 AM

It is very possible the Thrasher have identified a player they want and made a deal with the Ducks not to take that player. Atlanta is picking up alot of salary with Havelid. 1.6 mil the next two years will help Anaheim a great deal in resigning guys like Carney and Salei.

HughJass* 06-26-2004 10:46 AM

There has to be something more because at face value I don't understand this trade.

btn 06-26-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Conspiracy Theory:

Why does this deal get done right now, just minutes before the draft. Don't the GMs have better things to trade right now? It could easily have waited until tomorrow or later. I think it is tied to the first round.

My idea is that there is something more in this deal--maybe a draft pick swap or an agreement to not pick somebody. Anaheim drafts at #9, Atlanta at #10. I wonder what's coming down.

Take it back a bit. I think that DW might have decided to take the Russian offensive defenseman at the #10 spot, and he feels confident enought that he will be there that he is willing to move one of our own offensive defenseman in the system right now for immediate help.

I like this move. Foster could be a great player, but I do not know if he will ever get there. And if he does it will take many years to get there. Havelid will come in and get plenty of ice time. He should help the Thrashers out from Game 1.

The Sneak 06-26-2004 11:24 AM

solid. A nice move by DW if only to prove a point to the congregation. Sure, building for the future is nice and I love seeing guys with potential in the system, but potential doesn't win hockey games in the NHL. Don has decided that the time to accumulate future assets at the expense of this NHL team is over, and is looking for results.

As a fan in the short term, I like this deal. Since I don't believe Foster is going to evolve into Nik Lidstrom, I'm not feeling too poorly about the long term either

Peter Sidorkiewicz 06-26-2004 07:31 PM

Not to thrilled about this deal. Havelid isn't exactly the top 4 d-man the team needs and I had in mind. :shakehead

McDonald19 06-26-2004 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
Havelid has 2 more years on a 3 yr 4.55 million dollar contract.

I think I saw that Foster is a RFA, but what was his NHL salary?

:help: Foster's contract info?

dunwoody_joe 06-27-2004 06:24 AM

I've had time to rethink the deal and I'm generally neutral.

DW has traded potential in Foster, who at 22 seemed to be developing nicely but maybe has hit the wall. Apparently some with the ChiWolves have lost confidence in his defensive game. I suppose that as DW looks into the abyss that is our defensive prospects, he doesn't see room in 2 years for a Foster. OK, with me.

DW trades that for a Havelid who can jump in right now and presumably play top 4 minutes. We can use such a guy right away, this is true. Havelid is 31 and some expect that he has 2 years left in NA before going back to Sweden to finish his career. Is he really top 4 here? Maybe, but that just shows how weak our defense corps really is.

Alright, with the defenseman choices yesterday, I suppose we could move a defenseman prospect but I would rather trade off a Nikulin (no loss there), Dwyer or even Rossiter.

I'll trust that Foster can't make the jump to the NHL level otherwise this trade isn't good. Havelid is a solid #4-6 for the Thrashers for probably 2 years at little risk. Foster's upside is a top 4 defenseman for 15 years at a fair amount of risk.

We'll see :dunno:

Matt Gunning 06-27-2004 11:17 PM

The AJC story mentioned more on why the trade happened. Jack Ferreira (Atlanta's Player Personnel Director) drafted him when he was with Anaheim and watched him play a lot for the Ducks last season and is convinced that he was their best defensemen at times last year. So there you have it. We can make our our evaluation whenever hockey begins, but I think ATL won this trade, a solid mintue eating defenseman who is relatively cheap and cost a prospect who wasn't exactly tearing it up in Chicago. Also, DW's track record in trades is quite good in my opinion.

Lyons71 06-28-2004 02:12 AM

You better hope Havelid doesn't play the way he played last year. :banghead: Of course, you could say that about all the Ducks. (minus a few) Havelid will like the attack-oriented style the Thrashers play, but don't look for him to be a matchup guy. He left his guys alone in front of the net many, many times last season which is why he has the -28. He (and Rucchin) had terrible problems last year in the dzone coverage. He has a good, low hard point shot and is never shy about it. He doesn't make great plays by himself, but will score if given the chance. It's all up to him if he's going to cover his guy down low though...

Voynich 06-28-2004 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyons71
He left his guys alone in front of the net many, many times last season which is why he has the -28.

He'll fit right in then. :banghead: