HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Colin White (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=867376)

PADevil3034 01-20-2011 09:19 PM

Colin White

Just a general question....

Does he hold any value at the deadline? Would any team want him? Who?

apice3* 01-20-2011 09:22 PM

He'll have decent value depending on who's trying to make a splash. I don't think we should trade him without overpayment. I'd rather have him teach whoever we draft to fix the defense. White learned from Stevens, Daneyko, and Niedermayer and I think he would have a lot to offer to a an 18 year old, 1st round defenseman.

goon5516 01-20-2011 10:42 PM

He has a ntc and he is our best defensive dman going forward! Plus he is a Lou soldier! He ain't going no where

PADevil3034 01-21-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goon5516 (Post 30353564)
He has a ntc and he is our best defensive dman going forward! Plus he is a Lou soldier! He ain't going no where

Colin White is, in no way, the Devils' best defensive defenseman. He's painful to watch on defense. He rarely takes the body due to his eye injury, he's slow and can't catch up to anyone, and really has no value for the Devils.

I'm a bigger advocate for keeping Tallinder to mentor fellow Swedes Urbom and Larsson, if he's drafted.

AfroThunder396 01-21-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartysBetter30 (Post 30358349)
Colin White is, in no way, the Devils' best defensive defenseman. He's painful to watch on defense. He rarely takes the body due to his eye injury, he's slow and can't catch up to anyone, and really has no value for the Devils.

I'm a bigger advocate for keeping Tallinder to mentor fellow Swedes Urbom and Larsson, if he's drafted.

This just plain wrong. White has been a rock all year and Tallinder has been downright awful up until the last dozen games.

Brendan Witt got a 1st round pick, and White is a better defenseman than Witt is. But the market doesn't really favor defensive defensemen anymore. In a vacuum, the value for White would probably be a 3rd round pick + mid grade prospect, maybe a second if there's a bidding war. But he has more value in the Devils line-up than whatever return he would get in a trade. He plays just fine for his salary.

Doothpick 01-21-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 30358408)
This just plain wrong. White has been a rock all year and Tallinder has been downright awful up until the last dozen games.

Brendan Witt got a 1st round pick, and White is a better defenseman than Witt is. But the market doesn't really favor defensive defensemen anymore. In a vacuum, the value for White would probably be a 3rd round pick + mid grade prospect, maybe a second if there's a bidding war. But he has more value in the Devils line-up than whatever return he would get in a trade. He plays just fine for his salary.

If that get's you Colin White, I would want Ducks to offer that sort of package for sure. How about White for a 2nd round pick and Nicholas Deschamps/Maxime Macenauer? Both forwards, but Deschamps is more of a scorer, and Macenauer is a smart defensive forward.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 01-21-2011 08:21 AM

i think that white is one of the guys who should stay. unlike most of the team he's been showing up all year, and we're led to believe he's a leader in the locker room.

Brooklyndevil 01-21-2011 08:36 AM

Long time Devil, playing sound defensive hockey. Really no reason to move him, plus he has a NTC.

crashthenet 01-21-2011 09:28 AM

3rd rounder in this market. Don't forget the intangibles when it comes to a veteran like White.

njdevilsjds 01-21-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Not a chance White has been very solid and if you think tallinder is the one who should stay then you must be blind to the mistakes tallinder makes every game.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 01-21-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13sharonj (Post 30362901)
Not a chance White has been very solid and if you think tallinder is the one who should stay then you must be blind to the mistakes tallinder makes every game.

IIRC thats what buffalo fans were warning us about tallinder. he'll be terrible one season, then really good the next. if this is correct tallinder should stay, so he can mentor the young swedes like Urbom,
Larsson(probably) as well as tedenby and yayo. maybe he can help them the way he helped myers

williamirven 01-21-2011 01:54 PM

I think White has value, but the Devils should only deal him if they are certain Salvador's concussion isn't career-ending. These guys play a similar style game and, with the addition of A-Train, there is no need for both. I think McKenzie tweeted earlier on in the year that Lou was shopping White and Salvador, but was only willing to trade one.

In terms of return for NJ, less than what Langenbrunner netted us. So, maybe a conditional 4th pick. The real value comes from the cap space it would open up next season, giving NJ more room to fit Parise in.

njdevilsjds 01-21-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhark Attack (Post 30363997)
IIRC thats what buffalo fans were warning us about tallinder. he'll be terrible one season, then really good the next. if this is correct tallinder should stay, so he can mentor the young swedes like Urbom,
Larsson(probably) as well as tedenby and yayo. maybe he can help them the way he helped myers

I dont hate tallinder, I like that he will mentor the young swedes, but at a cap hit of $3,375,000 per season for 4 years is not worth an off and on d-man but maybe thats just my opinion.

Devils Trap 01-21-2011 02:31 PM

White is one of our best Dman. Not trading him

apice3* 01-21-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Do you watch Devil games or do you just believe everything Ranger fans tell you?

MakoSlade 01-21-2011 02:52 PM

I could see him getting a 2nd round pick back. And he is worth far more than that to the Devils. He will never be traded.

JeffMangum 01-21-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 30364737)
Do you watch Devil games or do you just believe everything Ranger fans tell you?

Even Rangers fans (well, knowledgeable ones) can appreciate Colin White as a solid, shutdown 2nd pairing guy.

This post seems to have a bias against White, seeing as I think yesterday under his username said something like "White Sucks" or "I hate White". Something along those lines.

He could probably get a 3rd + a solid prospect from a team that needed White, he's a valuable commodity to a contender.

njdevilsjds 01-21-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

White does take the body he has 86 hits 2nd most on the team and mind you he is not in his prime but he definately has been a rock for us seriously there is not even a debate on this.

njdevilsjds 01-21-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 30365129)
Even Rangers fans (well, knowledgeable ones) can appreciate Colin White as a solid, shutdown 2nd pairing guy.

This post seems to have a bias against White, seeing as I think yesterday under his username said something like "White Sucks" or "I hate White". Something along those lines.

He could probably get a 3rd + a solid prospect from a team that needed White, he's a valuable commodity to a contender. H=\

I agree with that

99 steps 01-21-2011 03:34 PM

White is on the short list of guys that is just what the Hawks need.

Assuming he would waive his NTC, I would offer Atlanta's 2nd in 2011 and a mid-range prospect (Paradis? Vishnevskiy?)