HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Waived: Nabokov signs with Detroit must clear waivers: CLAIMED BY NYI (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=867390)

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 09:57 PM

Nabokov signs with Detroit must clear waivers: CLAIMED BY NYI

As per TSN 1 year 570,000. Do we put a claim in him and try to trade Bulin to Detroit who is in desperate need of a goalie?

Hugo Stiglitz 01-20-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Head Crusher (Post 30352128)
As per TSN 1 year 570,000. Do we put a claim in him and try to trade Bulin to Detroit who is in desperate need of a goalie?

I wish we did. I'd trade Khabi for anything not overpaid right now.

McEwen 01-20-2011 10:08 PM

Tambo wouldn't do it. Besides, they wouldn't take Khabbi, and would they even be able to fit him under the cap if they did?

RipThisJoint 01-20-2011 10:14 PM

The....LAST....thing we need is another 3 goalie situation.

Ogopogo* 01-20-2011 10:22 PM

What would the purpose of this move be?

We are way under the cap ceiling so we don't need cap room. We are building with youth so we will never fill the cap room we have this year anyway.

Khabibulin is a good goaltender and keeping him around for a couple more years will help us make the transition to the next #1.

I see no benefit to picking up Nabokov to dump Khabi.

Gags89 01-20-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McEwen (Post 30352507)
Tambo wouldn't do it. Besides, they wouldn't take Khabbi, and would they even be able to fit him under the cap if they did?

Ya, I don't think they have the cap room.

Gags89 01-20-2011 10:24 PM

It should also be noted that Nabokov has a NMC with the contract as well

Joey Moss 01-20-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags89 (Post 30353008)
It should also be noted that Nabokov has a NMC with the contract as well

And that's where this discussion ends. I'd claim him if i'm Chicago. He'd probably waive the NMC to go there too.

Oilmageddon* 01-20-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogopogo (Post 30352937)
What would the purpose of this move be?

We are way under the cap ceiling so we don't need cap room. We are building with youth so we will never fill the cap room we have this year anyway.

Khabibulin was a good goaltender and keeping him around for a couple more years will help us make the transition to the next #1.

I see no benefit to picking up Nabokov to dump Khabi.

fixed;) I say Nj claims him or the nyi

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 30353172)
And that's where this discussion ends. I'd claim him if i'm Chicago. He'd probably waive the NMC to go there too.

He can't use his NMC if he is claimed off waivers.

Mr Forever 01-20-2011 10:41 PM

It'd be a good idea to snag him and use him as trade bait. Bad for PR, but whatever we're the Oilers.

Joey Moss 01-20-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Head Crusher (Post 30353444)
He can't use his NMC if he is claimed off waivers.

Why not? If he gets claimed by a team he doesn't want to go to does he not have the power to refuse to waive? Or does he waive it just to get placed on waivers?

Mr Forever 01-20-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 30353750)
Why not? If he gets claimed by a team he doesn't want to go to does he not have the power to refuse to waive? Or does he waive it just to get placed on waivers?

If he didn't report, it'd be the team's option to release him or have him wait it out.

Gags89 01-20-2011 10:53 PM

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Keep in mind, if Nabokov is claimed by a team and Nabokov doesn't like the situation, he can simply refuse to report and not play this year

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 30353750)

Well the NHL rules state that he has to clear waivers first in order to play in the NHL. But as I interpret the rules if he is on waivers he can not pick and choose where he wants to go he become fair game to anyone. If the NMC stopped players from being claimed off waivers we would have seen players like Wellwood offered them just so the team could guarantee he would be theirs after they signed him. Instead they get claimed and are contractually obligated to go to their new team.

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags89 (Post 30353907)
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Keep in mind, if Nabokov is claimed by a team and Nabokov doesn't like the situation, he can simply refuse to report and not play this year

See thats different then using a NMC. if he doesn't report he doesn't go against the cap and we don't have to pay him, but he can not play for anyone else until next season.

Gags89 01-20-2011 11:00 PM

I was just reading on twitter and according to *************** and Katie Strang (from the Isles), the Islanders have made it known that they will put in a claim on Nabokov.

I guess if that's the case, only NJ and Edmonton could claim him otherwise.

Gags89 01-20-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Head Crusher (Post 30354034)
See thats different then using a NMC. if he doesn't report he doesn't go against the cap and we don't have to pay him, but he can not play for anyone else until next season.

His NMC kicks in after this waiver period has passed. After that he cannot be placed on waivers without his consent.

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags89 (Post 30354069)
I was just reading on twitter and according to *************** and Katie Strang (from the Isles), the Islanders have made it known that they will put in a claim on Nabokov.

I was going to say that I don't think NJ could fit him under the cap but come to think about it after the Langenbrunner trade that do have 1.17M in adjusted cap space

ponokanocker 01-20-2011 11:23 PM

I we claim him and then ask Detroit for a late pick for him, we just created an enemy, and other GM's will realize the type of classless organization we are. It's not against the rules, but that doesn't mean you do it.

The Head Crusher 01-20-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponokanocker (Post 30354713)
I we claim him and then ask Detroit for a late pick for him, we just created an enemy, and other GM's will realize the type of classless organization we are. It's not against the rules, but that doesn't mean you do it.

San Jose says hi with Wellwood.

Psycho Dad 01-20-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags89 (Post 30354069)

Can't see why they'd bother. Trying to sneak a draft pick out of Detroit?

KarmaPolice 01-20-2011 11:58 PM

Strong-arm Detroit into a trade. Trade us Filppula or we're putting in a claim for Nabby! :naughty:

Halibut 01-21-2011 12:15 AM

Somebody is going to pick him up at that price. I dont think we can trade him if we pick him up off waivers, if we try to make a trade anyone else who put a claim on him would get to take him. IIRC.

tempest2i 01-21-2011 12:20 AM

No interest in Nabokov in any way. He don't need him, he won't play for us. Completely unnecessary thread.